Midwestern University c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted into Midwestern and Western and have decided to go to Midwestern - both are private colleges, so tuition was roughly the same for me

There were several factors that made me decide on Midwestern:
Cost of living: from my visit for the interviews and a cursory search for apartments, Midwestern was a lot cheaper
Environment and Weather: Aside from summer, AZ has almost perfect weather year round
Curriculum: From what I hear, Western was pure PBL whereas Midwestern appears to be hybrid which suits me better
Academic system: Western=Semester, Midwestern=Quarter - I've been on the quarter system since freshman high school and I HATE how slow semesters are.
Dedicated facilities: Midwestern is going to have brand spanking new buildings, equipment, and etc.
Etc. etc. etc. your miles may vary on your personal situation/school

Just do be mindful that as a new school, Midwestern still has a few kinks to work out. If you look at Western's statistics (the last new school) their first graduating class only had a 78% pass rate for the boards - which steadily rose each year to around 97% or so last year, which is actually one of the highest among the vet schools. Don't even worry about accreditation as it's really not that big a deal (for comparison, UC Davis lost theirs a few years back) - as long as you graduate you're going to be allowed to take the boards <-- this is the stickler for me as I look at Western's first class statistics... but the majority did pass :D

If I got into my instate though.. (UC Davis) that's what I would've picked - not even because of its reputation, but simply because the tuition is almost HALF that of Midwestern... sigh... I'm looking at a mountain of debt when I graduate D:
I didn't read through all the replies here but as a WesternU student I wanted to correct a couple things.
We are not pure PBL. I had an MCB lecture earlier on biological pacemakers and now I have a toxicology lecture. I have several lectures throughout the week, as well as 2 hours of PBL three times a week.
We also work on the quarter system. Each block is focused on two body systems (except for first block) and exams are every 8 weeks.
About the weather... you can't beat California weather :p

Members don't see this ad.

I am going crazy!! I am suppose to leave next Friday for Ross, if I don't hear anything from Midwestern. Getting too close for comfort! Good luck to everyone on the alternate list. Let's keep our fingers crossed that list keeps moving!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an email addressing the veterinary students talking about all of our pre-orientation tasks. Does this mean that they filled the class? Also has anyone heard if they decided if there will be dress code for DVM students? I know most students there get to dress casual, but a few programs are required to wear specific colored scrubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just bumping this up as I heard there is movement on the wait list. For those still waiting, keep your phones handy! Orientation starts in 19 days!

I got called off of the wait list yesterday, but it is not going to be doable for me to move from Maine to Arizona in 19 days... I declined the offer. Congratulations to the next person who gets called!

The home page changes from "applicant checklist" to "accepted student checklist". The portal updates right away, but automated emails won't go out until the next morning ( I got mine at 2:48am, which was memorable because I was up driving an all-nighter at the time.)

Congratulations! I'm in the process of applying for fall 2015. Do you mind sharing your stats with me?

Sure. GPA first degree 3.7, Overall 3.5, science 3.2, lasts 45 3.2. GRE 158/156/3.5. Over 3,000 hours of paid experience. Elors from three vets which another file review said I had a perfect score on letters. My interview at midwestern went amazing. They even told me in the interview that I was the ideal candidate and both interviewers said they would be recommending me at their meeting (if I remember right they only see your written portions of the app, not your stats).

I didn't make it into my instate which is very numbers oriented and the interview is more of a disqualifier than a potential plus, so I feel that my interview made all the difference at midwestern. I left the interview day very excited at the program and chose midwestern over a Missouri offer. I wish it wasn't the very first class, but the interview presentations where so incredibly organized and thorough, so I'm am hopeful the program will follow suit!

Sure. GPA first degree 3.7, Overall 3.5, science 3.2, lasts 45 3.2. GRE 158/156/3.5. Over 3,000 hours of paid experience. Elors from three vets which another file review said I had a perfect score on letters. My interview at midwestern went amazing. They even told me in the interview that I was the ideal candidate and both interviewers said they would be recommending me at their meeting (if I remember right they only see your written portions of the app, not your stats).

I didn't make it into my instate which is very numbers oriented and the interview is more of a disqualifier than a potential plus, so I feel that my interview made all the difference at midwestern. I left the interview day very excited at the program and chose midwestern over a Missouri offer. I wish it wasn't the very first class, but the interview presentations where so incredibly organized and thorough, so I'm am hopeful the program will follow suit!

Thank you so much! Congrats again. My in state is penn which is also very numbers oriented from what I hear. I've heard nothing but great things about midwestern from those who have interviewed.

So they'll screen your application holistically but then the interviewers are only given your written aspects?

Just bumping this up as I heard there is movement on the wait list. For those still waiting, keep your phones handy! Orientation starts in 19 days!

Thanks for the update! Hoping I'm called of the list. Otherwise it will probably be Ross for me in January. But I would really really love to go to Midwestern!

Hi guys! I know this thread is a bit old now....but I just got an offer to interview at MWU for this cycle. Can anyone tell me about their experience interviewing? Also, if you are currently attending, can you give me an impression of your experience so far?

Hi guys! I know this thread is a bit old now....but I just got an offer to interview at MWU for this cycle. Can anyone tell me about their experience interviewing? Also, if you are currently attending, can you give me an impression of your experience so far?

Currently a first year at MWU and could not be happier with where I've ended up. The interview process for this school was very relaxed. They asked me questions that directly related to my file. The other cool thing about their interviews is that they will have your essay and application questions in front of them but no gpa/test score info.

The program here is integrated nicely, the biochemistry/anatomy/physiology classes overlap so you're not learning random systems separately. We started hands on animal experience as well during our third week of school. I highly recommend considering this school.

Did you have other offers? What made you choose MWU ultimately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did. In addition to its location/climate I chose mwu because of the feeling I got during their interview process. They made all of us feel encouraged/welcomed and invested in the program. Not to mention all of the labs/classsrooms/tools for the vet students is brand new and state of the art.

Yes I did. In addition to its location/climate I chose mwu because of the feeling I got during their interview process. They made all of us feel encouraged/welcomed and invested in the program. Not to mention all of the labs/classsrooms/tools for the vet students is brand new and state of the art.

Thank you for your honesty. I have applied to 9 other schools besides MWU, however, they are the 2nd to extend me an invite. I know it would be silly to turn down the invite, however, I really want to make sure I choose the best fit for myself.

Thank you for your honesty. I have applied to 9 other schools besides MWU, however, they are the 2nd to extend me an invite. I know it would be silly to turn down the invite, however, I really want to make sure I choose the best fit for myself.

Definitely! Good luck to you and congrats on your interviews.

Also a current first year. Also very happy with the school and the program. I have enjoyed the hands-on and integrative nature of the program. I am impressed by the faculty. Sure, there are some minor issues being worked out because it is a new program, but you can tell that they are determined to make this the best program out there. Definitely agree that MWU is very worth seriously considering.

Also a current first year. Also very happy with the school and the program. I have enjoyed the hands-on and integrative nature of the program. I am impressed by the faculty. Sure, there are some minor issues being worked out because it is a new program, but you can tell that they are determined to make this the best program out there. Definitely agree that MWU is very worth seriously considering.

What do you mean by minor issues, if you don't mind me asking?

Exciting! I also just received an interview invite. I scheduled mine for October 22nd. Have you chosen an interview date yet?

Currently a first year at MWU and could not be happier with where I've ended up. The interview process for this school was very relaxed. They asked me questions that directly related to my file. The other cool thing about their interviews is that they will have your essay and application questions in front of them but no gpa/test score info.

The program here is integrated nicely, the biochemistry/anatomy/physiology classes overlap so you're not learning random systems separately. We started hands on animal experience as well during our third week of school. I highly recommend considering this school.

Weird question in regards to the interview process: I am cursed with shoes that are unattractive but comfortable and those that are nice shoes but they eat my toes from the inside out. How did people tend to carry themselves during the day of the interview? What type of footwear would be best suggested? Thanks!

Not a weird question! You'll do a walking tour of about half of the campus, so you at least need to have the ability to walk even if uncomfortable. However, your tour guide has no influence over your acceptance and you could keep a pair of walking shoes in your bag and be fine. You don't want to spend your interview thinking about how much your feet are on fire. I will say that I chose to go the uncomfortable route and didn't regret it.

In general people maintained the professional, poised way of going throughout the day. Many of us last year felt we were being interview the whole time (I still don't know if that is true of not, but it sure felt that way. Faculty "drop" in and talk to you while your waiting for your interview, then you have lunch with your interviewers and fellow interviewees. The only time they specifically told our group not to worry about being judged (for lack of better word) was at the start of the tour.

Not a weird question! You'll do a walking tour of about half of the campus, so you at least need to have the ability to walk even if uncomfortable. However, your tour guide has no influence over your acceptance and you could keep a pair of walking shoes in your bag and be fine. You don't want to spend your interview thinking about how much your feet are on fire. I will say that I chose to go the uncomfortable route and didn't regret it.

In general people maintained the professional, poised way of going throughout the day. Many of us last year felt we were being interview the whole time (I still don't know if that is true of not, but it sure felt that way. Faculty "drop" in and talk to you while your waiting for your interview, then you have lunch with your interviewers and fellow interviewees. The only time they specifically told our group not to worry about being judged (for lack of better word) was at the start of the tour.

Sounds good! Thanks so much for the detailed reply! How is the weather there in the end of October? I've never really had the opportunity to leave NYC, with the exception of one trip to NOLA.

After you submitted everything, how long did it take for you to get an email about your account to check your status?

After you submitted everything, how long did it take for you to get an email about your account to check your status?

I'd say about 2 weeks to have access to my account and two to three more weeks to get an interview invite but I'm not 100% sure...the last couple of months have been kind of crazy for me so my time frame is only somewhat on target. I did submit my VMCAS application early (late July-August?). Hope this helps, though I know my thought process is a tad disorganized. :)

Thanks! I just recently submitted but none of my schools have emailed me yet haha. Was curious to see how long it took MW.

Good luck on your interview! Are you going to melt when you leave NY for warm weather? :)

Thanks! I just recently submitted but none of my schools have emailed me yet haha. Was curious to see how long it took MW.

Good luck on your interview! Are you going to melt when you leave NY for warm weather? :)

This is my second year applying. I was surprised to hear back so early. Last year, I didn't hear back from any schools until December/January.
I'm not sure how thrilled I'll be with the Arizona weather. The only thing I know about that is from an episode of Arrested Development where .... I guess it's shown to be very hot. I'm kind of hoping that it won't be as brutal in October....but I have no idea :(

This is my second year applying. I was surprised to hear back so early. Last year, I didn't hear back from any schools until December/January.
I'm not sure how thrilled I'll be with the Arizona weather. The only thing I know about that is from an episode of Arrested Development where .... I guess it's shown to be very hot. I'm kind of hoping that it won't be as brutal in October....but I have no idea :(

Arizona in October tends to be in the 80's, sometimes up into the 90's... end of October can start to get down into the 70's. October is actually a really nice time in Arizona... it is June-early September that is not as much fun, but it really isn't that bad.

Also, if you are ever dying for cooler weather, you can drive up an hour and 1/2 or so and take in the beautiful red rocks/hiking in Sedona or you can go a little bit further (2 hours) and enjoy the nice pine forest of Flagstaff, add on another hour of driving (total of 3 hours) and you can view the Grand Canyon.

Arizona has just about everything you could want, minus the beach, but California should be gone soon enough... ;)

Arizona in October tends to be in the 80's, sometimes up into the 90's... end of October can start to get down into the 70's. October is actually a really nice time in Arizona... it is June-early September that is not as much fun, but it really isn't that bad.

Also, if you are ever dying for cooler weather, you can drive up an hour and 1/2 or so and take in the beautiful red rocks/hiking in Sedona or you can go a little bit further (2 hours) and enjoy the nice pine forest of Flagstaff, add on another hour of driving (total of 3 hours) and you can view the Grand Canyon.

Arizona has just about everything you could want, minus the beach, but California should be gone soon enough... ;)

That sounds amazing, since I hate the beach. I'll have the whole day before the interview and then a few hours after it, but I'm not renting a car. Sucks because hiking is one of my favorite activities and I won't even be able to enjoy it there since I'm trying to fly back in time for my Anatomy/Physiology lab the next day :(
I am however planning to walk around and do some geocaching...

Hello all! Congrats to everyone who was accepted to MWU last year and to those who are invited to interview this year! This is my first cycle applying, I am excited to say that I will also be interviewing here on October 8 and have found this thread very helpful! This seems like a great school, but I'm definitely getting more anxious as the day approaches, as this is my first vet school interview ever!

Interviewing on October 22! Hope to meet some of y'all there. Does anyone know if they specify interview attire? I know some schools want women to wear slacks instead of a dress skirt and suit but I wasn't sure.

Interviewing on October 22! Hope to meet some of y'all there. Does anyone know if they specify interview attire? I know some schools want women to wear slacks instead of a dress skirt and suit but I wasn't sure.

See ya there! :)

I read up a bit on some standard behavioral interview questions asked at vet schools. I'm also trying to familiarize myself with the professors on their website because I have some interests in research and would like to see if the interviewers would be able to answer the questions I have. Also I guess I need to go buy some clothing that isn't scrubs or weird old sweaters... See you there!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to Midwestern. I got a check from them in the mail today, looks like a refund for my supplemental application, anyone know what's up with that? I'm about to email about them but figured I'd ask others if the same thing happened to them.
I am currently in a masters program at Midwestern University and I got an interview with them for Sept 19th. I didnt have to do a supplemental application and didnt see the option anywhere??? Where did you see it?

I am currently in a masters program at Midwestern University and I got an interview with them for Sept 19th. I didnt have to do a supplemental application and didnt see the option anywhere??? Where did you see it?
The post you quoted is from 2013. If you got an interview offer already, there probably isn't a supplemental app anymore.