Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or even second years?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if you can add updates to your file post-interview? I haven't heard back about a decision yet but I started a new clinical experience since I interviewed.

Does anyone know if you can add updates to your file post-interview? I haven't heard back about a decision yet but I started a new clinical experience since I interviewed.
You can't, but they are quite responsive to update letters. Write a well-thought-out formal letter where you reiterate why you would choose this school and include any changes to your file. They seem to really like update letters. You can send additional letters of recs too

And by send, I mean email as an attached PDF or other file

Just was accepted and am absolutely planning on attending, can't wait to meet everyone.

Interviewed on 10/28 and 3.4/33 for those interested.

Just was accepted and am absolutely planning on attending, can't wait to meet everyone.

Interviewed on 10/28 and 3.4/33 for those interested.

Congrats! I actually toured the campus again yesterday and am inching towards sending that deposit in shortly....

Literally about to send an update letter when I got accepted!

34 MCAT, cGPA and sGPA both between 3.4 and 3.5 (but with a 4.0 over my last 2 years of undergrad).

Literally about to send an update letter when I got accepted!

34 MCAT, cGPA and sGPA both between 3.4 and 3.5 (but with a 4.0 over my last 2 years of undergrad).

Congrats! Just wondering, but did your portal change?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who might know: how common is it for first and second years to live in the city? What is the commute like, either by car or train?

Thanks!

Interviewed 11/01, accepted today 11/14.

3.48/31. Now to decide between CCOM vs. ATSU- SOMA...

Interviewed 11/04 and accepted 11/14 via email. 3.46 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA and 30 MCAT. I loved the school, but I'm still not so sure about Chicago.

For those who might know: how common is it for first and second years to live in the city? What is the commute like, either by car or train?

Thanks!

I've lived 10 minutes away from the school my whole life and living in the city would be silly. It would be about a 40 minute commute each way. You'd definitely need to live in the suburbs for your first two years. Visiting the city would be pretty easy, but living there would be a poor decision.

For those of you who received interviews recently, do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Thanks!

As someone who commuted between Chicago and the suburbs for 4 years, I would definitely recommend that you aim for something else. It's a good 45 minute train ride plus however long the bus/car ride is between the train and home or between the train and school. And, if you're driving, Chicago traffic is a nightmare- especially during the hours you'll probably be commuting before and after school.

I commuted for financial and family reasons, but I would suggest living in the suburbs to save you a lot of frustration (it's cheaper too). For times you'd like to visit Chicago for fun, it's not hard to get to at all... just not something you'd probably like to do everyday, twice a day.

Reactions: 1 user
I've lived 10 minutes away from the school my whole life and living in the city would be silly. It would be about a 40 minute commute each way. You'd definitely need to live in the suburbs for your first two years. Visiting the city would be pretty easy, but living there would be a poor decision.
I agree with this. It would likely be quite miserable and not recommended

As someone who commuted between Chicago and the suburbs for 4 years, I would definitely recommend that you aim for something else. It's a good 45 minute train ride plus however long the bus/car ride is between the train and home or between the train and school. And, if you're driving, Chicago traffic is a nightmare- especially during the hours you'll probably be commuting before and after school.

I commuted for financial and family reasons, but I would suggest living in the suburbs to save you a lot of frustration (it's cheaper too). For times you'd like to visit Chicago for fun, it's not hard to get to at all... just not something you'd probably like to do everyday, twice a day.

You are all crushing my hopes and dreams. I feel like a child that just got socks for Christmas.

Anyone who interviewed on 11/8 hear back? I'm assuming I got waitlisted. No portal change or email. Bummer. This school is phenomenal.

You are all crushing my hopes and dreams. I feel like a child that just got socks for Christmas.

It wouldn't be worth it to commute for the first 2 years, but depending on where you end up with clinical rotations you may find living in the city easier for years 3 and 4.

It wouldn't be worth it to commute for the first 2 years, but depending on where you end up with clinical rotations you may find living in the city easier for years 3 and 4.
Are you somewhat able to choose to do city hospitals for rotations?

Complete since early Sep, 3.7c, 3.7s, 28 MCAT; still haven't heard back...3 other interviews & 1 acceptance so far but this is my top pick.

Question: I noticed tuition is about $57,000 here, but $42,000 at KCUMB, yet the average indebtedness is comparable between these two schools. Is CCOM generous when giving financial AID to students?

You can definitely try and go for it :). I just wouldn't recommend it....

Chicago is a great place to be, and I go there a lot even though I don't go to school there anymore so i can see where you're coming from.

Does anyone know if Midwestern has a student accept day like KCUMB?

Complete since early Sep, 3.7c, 3.7s, 28 MCAT; still haven't heard back...3 other interviews & 1 acceptance so far but this is my top pick.

Question: I noticed tuition is about $57,000 here, but $42,000 at KCUMB, yet the average indebtedness is comparable between these two schools. Is CCOM generous when giving financial AID to students?

Those numbers are misleading because it factors in cost of living debt as well. Most likely graduates had financial help (I.e. Parents) since all things considered with $15k lower tuition and a MUCH cheaper city to live in you're not going to accrue the same amount of debt.

I know i am late. But, I just want to post my status. Interviewed 11/01, Accepted 11/14. Stats: GPA:3.90, MCAT: 31.

I spoke with financial aid last week and was told that pretty much the whole package is loans. There are some scholarships but not many students even apply for them.

ii this afternoon! complete 11/5.

MS1 at CCOM, let me know if you guys have any questions!

ACCEPTED YES!!!(2 years ago) I remember this... Reading this helps me appreciate where I am. Good luck to you all.

Is the interview invite system going to continue into the spring? I feel like even if I was going for a wait list spot I would happily go. Complete 7/ something

Any recommendations on where to stay? I assume most of the class is spread out, but is there an area where a larger number of students tend to stay?

MS1 at CCOM, let me know if you guys have any questions!

Any recommendations on where to stay? I assume most of the class is spread out, but is there an area where a larger number of students tend to stay?

Some popular ones are City View at the Highlands in Lombard, Brook Hill Apartments in Westmont, and International Village in Lombard. I'm staying in the Traditional Dorms on campus for my first year and I like it so far. Let me know if you guys have any more questions about anything

Has anyone been rejected post-interview from here?
I interviewed 10/25 but still haven't heard back.

they are on quarter break and recently had finals so the meeting would be later around this time

i would expect you would hear something early decemberish

I interviewed 11/8 with a friend and they got their letter today. I probably got mine too but I went home for break. So you should get yours soon.

Quick question, Does CCOM grant interviews without all your LORs on file?

Quick question, Does CCOM grant interviews without all your LORs on file?

No, you need at least the two required for your application to be complete for them to review.

There are a few apartment complexes in the area that i would say 70% of MWU students stay at!

Also check craigslist. I found a really great place for a little over $700 with all utilities included and only 10 minutes away. All the complexes around campus start at $800+ without utilities.