Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all new accepted students!!

Still getting the silent treatment from here :( .... I submitted my secondary kind of late so at least I expected that. For those of you that received ii, rejections or placed on hold; How long after you submitted you secondary did it take for you to hear anything back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still getting the silent treatment from here :( .... I submitted my secondary kind of late so at least I expected that. For those of you that received ii, rejections or placed on hold; How long after you submitted you secondary did it take for you to hear anything back?

I completed everything in mid to late October, got the II in early to mid November. When did you submit your 2ndary?

I completed everything in mid to late October, got the II in early to mid November. When did you submit your 2ndary?

Very late Nov. 24, was on the fence about applying here but decided to go for it, hopefully I hear something from them soon. I hate the waiting part so even a rejection is better than silence lol

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on being accepted!!! :)

My file was complete Oct 31 and got the ii around 3 weeks after

4 months. You still have a ways to go.

Finally rejected pre interview. Was complete in August. 3.5/31

I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?
Don't lose hope yet. I (and several others in my class) received interviews later than this time last year. Mine came near the end of January

Withdrew my acceptance at CCOM. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have a good source for rental properties near Midwestern?

Does anyone know when CCOM stops interviewing? I know a lot of schools are usually done interviewing around early March but CCOM still accepts secondaries until like 3/1/14. Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know when CCOM stops interviewing? I know a lot of schools are usually done interviewing around early March but CCOM still accepts secondaries until like 3/1/14. Thanks for the help!

I called and they said March. The way she was talking though, it seemed like they're gonna be interviewing for awhile longer.

I scanned through last years thread, this is the unofficial SDN "data":
Last interview invite posted on SDN: March 19
Last interview date mentioned: first week of April (no given date)
Last acceptance posted: strong waitlist movement mid April through late June, one mid July

I scanned through last years thread, this is the unofficial SDN "data":
Last interview invite posted on SDN: March 19
Last interview date mentioned: first week of April (no given date)
Last acceptance posted: strong waitlist movement mid April through late June, one mid July

Awesome, thanks a lot for the help!

Just found out I was accepted! I am thrilled this school was my top choice I will definitely be attending! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the class?

Just found out I was accepted! I am thrilled this school was my top choice I will definitely be attending! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the class?

Congrats! There is some Facebook group but idk much more than that. Look through the previous posts.

For those of you planning on attending CCOM, what makes the high tuition worth it for you? I already paid my CCOM deposit since it was the only acceptance I had at the time, but I've been leaning t0wards DMU since getting accepted there as well. If money wasn't a factor, I'd probably pick CCOM, but I'm having a hard time justifying the decision to put myself in that much more debt.

Considering all factors it isn't that much more than DMU, which I too was considering. The main thing for me was the reputation CCOM has in Chicago among doctors and hospital staff, which DMU simply doesn't, obviously location is an influence in this but nonetheless. Another big plus for me is the fact that we get to complete rotations within an area and not have to worry about relocating, which I was really hesitant to do, and I heard that DMU gives you full independence when choosing those sites in year four, and maybe a bit too much independence where it makes you think about why you are spending all that money for the last year. I am from Chicago and love the city and appreciate the excellent hospitals we have here, so in the end a few thousand dollars this way wasn't a factor at all when I chose CCOM over other schools. If you have any more questions PM me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I saw in the interview tab that there were interview dates up until April 11. I got an II 3 days after I submitted a secondary back on 12/20 (yea really late I know). I may withdraw my II depending on if I get an MD acceptance before Feb 4.

Edit: Never mind I was looking at AZCOM. The latest interview date for CCOM is March 18 at the moment.

I just got an interview invite today. Dates were available until March 25th.

First post on the thread, but I have been reading it for a while now. Wanted to see if anybody else interviewing this Monday, Feb 10th? Also, I know this has been asked before, any interview tips from the current students and those that have been accepted already?

Last edited:
First post on the thread, but I have been reading it for a while now. Wanted to see if anybody else interviewing this Monday, Feb 10th? Also, I know this has been asked before, but any interview tips from the current students and those that have been accepted already?

It seemed like everyone in my group got asked at least one ethical question, but nothing too unusual. Other than that it was pretty laid back and gave me an opportunity to expand on my experiences.

It seemed like everyone in my group got asked at least one ethical question, but nothing too unusual. Other than that it was pretty laid back and gave me an opportunity to expand on my experiences.

Thank you, would you say that it was more of a conversational style interview rather than someone asking questions and you just answering? And do the interviews take place in the library or somewhere else? Just probing for a general picture of what to expect here....

I agree. It was very laid back. There were three interviewers (one doctor, one 4th year student, and one professor). They would take turns asking questions, but it didn't seem like I was "on the spot." I got asked a few ethics questions and one about healthcare. The ethics question kind of caught me off guard, so be ready for those to slip in. Overall, it was a great experience and I enjoyed the day

Thank you, would you say that it was more of a conversational style interview rather than someone asking questions and you just answering? And do the interviews take place in the library or somewhere else? Just probing for a general picture of what to expect here....
I wouldn't say mine was so much a conversation, but they were very pleasant, nodding and smiling after I spoke. The interviews take place in some private study rooms in the back of the library

First post on the thread, but I have been reading it for a while now. Wanted to see if anybody else interviewing this Monday, Feb 10th? Also, I know this has been asked before, any interview tips from the current students and those that have been accepted already?

Like the others have said, it is fairly calm waters throughout the interview day, including the actual interview. I had a doc and prof interview me (student didn't show up) and was first asked the usual who are you questions and then we spoke in depth about my research, which lasted for what seemed the entire interview. I was not asked any ethical questions, or anything about healthcare. The neat part about the day is that you get a list of who will be interviewing you so you are not thrown into the fire without some knowledge. Best of luck to you on Monday!

They asked me the basic questions (dealing with stress, why you vs other interviewees, str & weakness, why do, medicine, etcetc.). Just relax. I got two students and a faculty interviewer. The students are volunteers and they generally are nice because they know how stressful it is.

Thank you all for your feedbacks, they have been most insightful. Another couple of questions I have are about the tour. Is it before or afte interviews? And will we be walking outdoors at all? My shoe options depend on this....

Thank you all for your feedbacks, they have been most insightful. Another couple of questions I have are about the tour. Is it before or afte interviews? And will we be walking outdoors at all? My shoe options depend on this....

Hello! Good luck on your interview there. For my group, we had the tour after we had all finished our interviews. Also, there was a little bit of walking outside (to show us the different buildings on the campus).

Good luck again!

There's an area on SDN where people submitted feedback from their interview day and specific questions that they were asked. If you can't find it, let me know. I should be able to dig up the link

There's an area on SDN where people submitted feedback from their interview day and specific questions that they were asked. If you can't find it, let me know. I should be able to dig up the link
I did check the interview feedback section, but there aren't many specifics on the CCOM page. It mostly has students rating their interview experience with little to no details provided about the actual process. Is there another thread, perhaps, that I don't know of?

I did check the interview feedback section, but there aren't many specifics on the CCOM page. It mostly has students rating their interview experience with little to no details provided about the actual process. Is there another thread, perhaps, that I don't know of?
Yeah, here's the link. Scroll down to the bottom and click the word "Questions." Then you can click "See All" in each section to see the responses. I was asked a lot of the questions that people submitted on there. Good luck!

http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/ccom/survey/26

I just got an interview invite today. Dates were available until March 25th.

How do they notify you if you receive an ii? Email, phone call or snail mail?

Good luck on your interview!

Can anyone comment on the lgbt community at ccom?

I went to high school and grew up in the area. There is not any issues with LGBT or whatever. I mean it's not boys town in Chicago. But nobody cares who you sleep with as long as your a good person.

So they received all of my stuff at the end of November. So far, I haven't heard anything from them. Do you all recommend me contacting them? Or just wait it out? Does CCOM do silent rejections?

So they received all of my stuff at the end of November. So far, I haven't heard anything from them. Do you all recommend me contacting them? Or just wait it out? Does CCOM do silent rejections?
Send an update letter if you haven't yet!

Silence broken finally. Rejected pre-interview... Good luck to those still waiting and Congrats to those accepted :) CCOM is a great school!