Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted as well, still waiting to hear back from a few others but so nice to have a guarantee!

Members don't see this ad.

When does the waitlist start moving? Anyone know approximately how many students are accepted from the waitlist each year?

Interviewed 3/14 but I haven't heard from CCOM via email nor USPS. Really hope to get in, definitely my top choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 3/14 but I haven't heard from CCOM via email nor USPS. Really hope to get in, definitely my top choice
you can call and ask for your status. I interviewed on 3/18 and got the news by stopping by the office (i'm a master student at MWU) but i haven't received any thing via email or mail

you can call and ask for your status. I interviewed on 3/18 and got the news by stopping by the office (i'm a master student at MWU) but i haven't received any thing via email or mail

Called and the automated system said they cannot provide any application status via telephone. So pretty much keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best the next few days/weeks. However, my portal system did not change like many others have stated :/

Has anyone been pulled off the waiting list yet?

I withdrew my acceptance last week. Good luck to those on the waiting list. Midwestern - CCOM is a great school.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my invitation to the second look. Probably not going to go as I don't live in the Chicago area. Anyone planning on going?

I received their invite or more of a inquiry to see who would want to go, but its for the May 10 weekend which seems to me a bit too soon, two weeks notice? I would attend but I have HRS in San Fran that week so hopefully CCOM can rearrange their calendar just for me.

Received alternate list placement via snail mail today, interviewed 04/07. My only interview too so I'm pretty bummed. Called about waitlist stats and they told me they don't even track that stuff so I'm all out of numbers to crunch :/

Received alternate list placement via snail mail today, interviewed 04/07. My only interview too so I'm pretty bummed. Called about waitlist stats and they told me they don't even track that stuff so I'm all out of numbers to crunch :/
Sorry to hear that. Make sure that you send some update letters though. They love them

Sorry to hear that. Make sure that you send some update letters though. They love them
I know of people getting in the week before the program starts when wait listed. If I am wait listed and don't get in what are my chances if I reapply for the following year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of people getting in the week before the program starts when wait listed. If I am wait listed and don't get in what are my chances if I reapply for the following year?
Yeah, that does happen. I think we had someone who joined pretty late like that. I was in your shoes last year. I was accepted off the waitlist near the end of May.

If you got an interview and they didn't reject you afterwards, it means that they want you. It's just that spaces are limited unfortunately. I'm not sure if being waitlisted this year would improve your chances of getting in next year or not, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. I think it'd show persistence

Yeah, that does happen. I think we had someone who joined pretty late like that. I was in your shoes last year. I was accepted off the waitlist near the end of May.

If you got an interview and they didn't reject you afterwards, it means that they want you. It's just that spaces are limited unfortunately. I'm not sure if being waitlisted this year would improve your chances of getting in next year or not, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. I think it'd show persistence
Thanks. I interviewed late but not giving up. I want this

I will more than likely give up my acceptance, however, I'm on several wait lists and waiting to see what my options are. I did pay the $1000 deposit and loved the school, so I'm not making the decision without plenty of time to think it through carefully. I'm guessing there are others in my situation and hopefully plenty of wait list movement!

Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist? If so, when were you accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that the waitlist is unranked. How does the committee decide who to accept, if the committee has to choose between student A and student B, how do they decide who to pick.

I know that the waitlist is unranked. How does the committee decide who to accept, if the committee has to choose between student A and student B, how do they decide who to pick.

The committee doesn't review the waitlist at this school. Only the director of admissions. If you're waitlisted, I suggest contacting him.

The committee doesn't review the waitlist at this school. Only the director of admissions. If you're waitlisted, I suggest contacting him.
Does anyone know how the director picks students from the waitlist?

I just withdrew my acceptance. Does anyone know if simply withdrawing through the portal is enough to receive the $100 refund? I can't see the directions any more.

Just completed my matriculation agreement. So excited to start this part of the journey!

Just withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Just heard back! Accepted!! Thanks to everyone who gave up their spots. :)

I sent in 3 extra letters of rec, a letter of intent and had a 31 MCAT. Thanks! :)

I will be declining my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you still on the waitlist!

Just got a call this AM. Im off the waitlist! Everyone be patient. I know so far its been really slow, but I asked the admissions office when the list starts to move and was told it usually picks up towards the end of June. Good luck everyone! I look forward to studying with you.

Hi guys. I will be studying at MidWestern from Sep 2014-May 2015. Could you please recommend housing in the area? or maybe anybody is interested in splitting the rent? Thank you

I am looking to live in Oak Park, its a nice suburb between downers grove and chicago- kind of the best of both worlds without a long commute to either. Anyone interested in splitting a place?

I am looking to live in Oak Park, its a nice suburb between downers grove and chicago- kind of the best of both worlds without a long commute to either. Anyone interested in splitting a place?

Thats a bit of a commute!

Working on CCOM Secondaries. In your guys' opinion, could a secondary response be considered "of quality" without mentioning specifically anything about OMM? Given a character limit, tried my best to be concise and my first draft does not make mention of OMM specifically. Perhaps my approach is wrong or is this an area where one can approach with a variety of strategies?
From what I heard, CCOM received thousands of secondaries (close to 8,000 applications this past cycle), so what is considered "quality", imo, varies greatly. Your secondaries should be based on you and your story. Don't tell them what they wanna hear b/c the truth of the matter is, we don't really know what they are looking for. But I can tell for sure is that they wanna know more about you.
Having had interviews at both CCOM and AZCOM, I only got one question regarding my secondaries essay. So, in short, just write essays that reflects you the most, don't worry too much about mentioning OMM. Good luck

Agree with @ph7; that's a least a 30 minute commute each way, without traffic (speaking from personal experience commuting between the two towns). The highways are extremely busy/full of traffic in the morning from about 6 to until 9 or 10, and the side roads are full of stop lights (side roads will actually take you ~40-50 minutes generally).

I mean, Oak Park's lovely, I agree, but there are really nice suburbs way closer to Downers (and Downers Grove is a nice suburb itself)! You probably could find housing more worth its price in Downers than Oak Park, too (the latter having tons of historic buildings w/o central A/C and w/o easy parking).

If you're dead set on that, go ahead, but just would warn you that commute can quickly become a headache, especially if you're going back and forth more than once a day.

/my 2 cents

Hi you guys - I'm applying to CCOM this cycle and have my interview next month. Would anyone mind sharing their interview experience? Thanks :)

Hi. Sorry for commenting on an old thread, but I was hoping you could tell us how we know for sure the committee is not making the decisions for alternate list applicants? How are we sure it's only the director's call?