Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to be blunt, but your MCAT may be a little below what they're looking for... ;)

Way to kill it!
Thanks so much! I hope it makes up for my ugrad GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Completed 7/9, but had an updated MCAT score come out on July 23rd. No interview invite yet..

2.8 ugrad (biomed engineering)
3.98 grad (medical sciences)
38 MCAT (12/13/13)

That is an absolutely beastly score! Nice work!

People.

I'm currently a student at CCOM. Want advice? Here you go.

I want you to know, whoever is despairing, you are not alone. Be adamant about your applications. I had to go through a full masters program and take the MCAT twice to be competitive. I'm 27, some people applying are 21. It's different for different people.

One thing you'll realize is that we all sort of grow in our own ways. My undergrad GPA was <3.00. My MCAT was a 23 initially, then a 29 two months later. But that was several years ago. For the fun of it, because I had gone through a masters with a 3.89 GPA, I decided to take a practice online MCAT and see what my score would be. I got a 38.

The point is, we all grow at different rates. Do not compare yourself to anybody else. You're gonna go through a lot of crap if you're applying right now. People are going to tell you to check this website and freak out and memorize things to say for your interview and all that crap. Man, I didn't worry about that. All I did was study, work out, be with friends, sleep 8 hours a night, and smile.

Keep it simple. Know yourself, be proud of who you are. When you study, turn your damn phone off and study. When you're with friends, have a beer with them and live your life. Go to Vegas. Don't talk about applications. (What does talking about them do anyway??) Stop letting all the mindless activity get in the way of your goals and aspirations. Keep it simple, be genuine, SMILE in your interview, and just like me, you'll get accepted to 9 medical schools (4 MD, 5 DO), and CHOOSE where you want to go based on residency potential.

I've lived in Chicago for many years, and can tell you honestly that CCOM is fantastic. It's rigorous, no doubt. But the reputation is very high in the downtown Chicago hospitals. You'll get your first choice. We're all becoming cool doctors who score high on board scores who will be working as physicians in downtown Chicago, who will living it up and saving lives. Is it difficult? Beyond anything you've ever imagined. Is it do-able? Of course. Budget your time, set goals, listen to your mind and your body.

Bottom line is that everybody everywhere is freaking out and putting on these fronts and basically acting like robots or at least not themselves. Dude, be yourself. Life is so much easier. Know what you want, how you're gonna get it, and have a little discipline. And if you have time, go on dates. Meet single girls and guys. Get it out of your system.

These websites, that you willingly check, do nothing but intimidate you. You know what you have to do. So just do it. If you need a nice place to stay for your interview that's 5 minutes from campus, and you're laid back, PM me. It may be a while before I check this website, though. Anyway. It's a beautiful sunny morning. I'm gonna make more coffee, sit on my balcony, listen to good music, then get to work. What could be more beautiful than that?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the down to earth tips. You sound like a really laid back individual :)

This is prob the best post I've ever read. Thanks for the input, made me love CCOM even more :)

People.

I'm currently a student at CCOM. Want advice? Here you go.

I want you to know, whoever is despairing, you are not alone. Be adamant about your applications. I had to go through a full masters program and take the MCAT twice to be competitive. I'm 27, some people applying are 21. It's different for different people.

One thing you'll realize is that we all sort of grow in our own ways. My undergrad GPA was <3.00. My MCAT was a 23 initially, then a 29 two months later. But that was several years ago. For the fun of it, because I had gone through a masters with a 3.89 GPA, I decided to take a practice online MCAT and see what my score would be. I got a 38.

The point is, we all grow at different rates. Do not compare yourself to anybody else. You're gonna go through a lot of crap if you're applying right now. People are going to tell you to check this website and freak out and memorize things to say for your interview and all that crap. Man, I didn't worry about that. All I did was study, work out, be with friends, sleep 8 hours a night, and smile.

Keep it simple. Know yourself, be proud of who you are. When you study, turn your damn phone off and study. When you're with friends, have a beer with them and live your life. Go to Vegas. Don't talk about applications. (What does talking about them do anyway??) Stop letting all the mindless activity get in the way of your goals and aspirations. Keep it simple, be genuine, SMILE in your interview, and just like me, you'll get accepted to 9 medical schools (4 MD, 5 DO), and CHOOSE where you want to go based on residency potential.

I've lived in Chicago for many years, and can tell you honestly that CCOM is fantastic. It's rigorous, no doubt. But the reputation is very high in the downtown Chicago hospitals. You'll get your first choice. We're all becoming cool doctors who score high on board scores who will be working as physicians in downtown Chicago, who will living it up and saving lives. Is it difficult? Beyond anything you've ever imagined. Is it do-able? Of course. Budget your time, set goals, listen to your mind and your body.

Bottom line is that everybody everywhere is freaking out and putting on these fronts and basically acting like robots or at least not themselves. Dude, be yourself. Life is so much easier. Know what you want, how you're gonna get it, and have a little discipline. And if you have time, go on dates. Meet single girls and guys. Get it out of your system.

These websites, that you willingly check, do nothing but intimidate you. You know what you have to do. So just do it. If you need a nice place to stay for your interview that's 5 minutes from campus, and you're laid back, PM me. It may be a while before I check this website, though. Anyway. It's a beautiful sunny morning. I'm gonna make more coffee, sit on my balcony, listen to good music, then get to work. What could be more beautiful than that?

Very nicely put! I'm a CCOM student as well and I agree 100%

This is prob the best post I've ever read. Thanks for the input, made me love CCOM even more :)

+1. Hands down. Love the perspective

For sure a great grounded perspective on things. Being you is what got you the opportunity, being you should be the thing that gets you in. Thanks for working to calm everyone down.

and KCCO!

Very nicely put! I'm a CCOM student as well and I agree 100%

Hi, do you have any advice on how I should approach the secondary question about why CCOM should accept you in this years class. I'm kinda struggling with it. Any tips will be helpful. Thank you.

Hi, do you have any advice on how I should approach the secondary question about why CCOM should accept you in this years class. I'm kinda struggling with it. Any tips will be helpful. Thank you.

Sure, I highlighted some aspects that I felt would be important. This can be a tricky question because you don't want to come off arrogant, but you need to be a little forceful. I've been a pharmacy tech for about a decade, so I said that I'm dedicated to the healthcare field, I understand the need for diversity in medicine, and that I have a drive to succeed, blah blah blah. Basically, try to sell yourself. Mention your best qualities and how they will make you a better student that will represent CCOM the way that they want to be represented

Just scheduled my interview today for 9-27. :) Was waiting to hear back from another school on an interview date (got an ii with no date) but it's been almost a week since CCOM emailed the ii so I finally went ahead and scheduled my interview.

Can't wait to see the campus!

Hey, I've heard some schools don't care if you use the same essays you wrote last year if you're a reapplicant. Is CCOM like that? I was planning on writing new essays anyways but thought I'd ask

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I've heard some schools don't care if you use the same essays you wrote last year if you're a reapplicant. Is CCOM like that? I was planning on writing new essays anyways but thought I'd ask

Probably not worth the risk. I posted this earlier too, might as well change em a little.

so for those of you who are interviewing at ccom. where is the cheapest closest place to stay in a hotel

The essay limit is pretty short, so you should definitely use your idea about how CCOM specifically would be the right kind of fit for you and your goals and maybe another one or two points you feel important. You don't want to jam pack too much in there and risk it just being "another generic essay".

For those who have completed their apps, how did you approach "why CCOM?" I have several points in mind but I am worried they are too generic. For example, I was going to mention how CCOM is a well established school with good rotational sites, how it has high match rates, and how my goal as a physician matches well with their mission statement.

Is there anything anyone else mentioned? Should I talk about my own experience and how I think attending CCOM would further my professional goals?

Your first paragraph pretty much captures everything I wrote for that prompt except I included how its clubs offered me a great opportunity to grow as a leader and as a person. Also, I was slightly more specific, I mentioned one of their rotational hospitals as being one of the better ones in the nation and I mentioned one of their student clubs I'm interested in joining.

Submitted 8/12, complete 8/13, interview invite 8/14. I am a bit baffled because after looking at the 2017 class averages, I am not exactly a stellar candidate. I'm more nervous than excited.

Last edited:
Your first paragraph pretty much captures everything I wrote for that prompt except I included how its clubs offered me a great opportunity to grow as a leader and as a person. Also, I was slightly more specific, I mentioned one of their rotational hospitals as being one of the better ones in the nation and I mentioned one of their student clubs I'm interested in joining.

Submitted 8/12, complete 8/13, interview invite 8/14. I am a bit baffled because after looking at the 2017 class averages, I am not exactly a stellar candidate. I'm more nervous than excited.

Congrats! :) Were you notified via telephone or email?

ii today. interviewing on 9/30. cGPA: 3.63 MCAT: 32 complete on 7/20

It seems that they prefer higher MCAT scores than GPA. Oh well. Good luck to everyone with interviews!

Not sure if that's true. I have a 34, no invite.

Yeah, my MCAT is significantly better than my GPA and I haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully the hunch that they favor the MCAT over GPA is right and we get interviews soon...

hello everyone, I am currently set to interview on 9/23 and am planning on flying out that same night. I wanted to check and see if anyone has the same plan and wanted to split transportation to the airport. Send me a PM if interested.

hello everyone, I am currently set to interview on 9/23 and am planning on flying out that same night. I wanted to check and see if anyone has the same plan and wanted to split transportation to the airport. Send me a PM if interested.

I am leaving that day as well and I am renting a car. If you want to chip in, I could take you to the airport.

I have a a few questions about the interview here.
1. Is the CCOM interview a traditional interview, MMI, or like a group discussion (like LECOM)?
2. If the interview has a traditional portion, will the interviewers be asking a greater proportion of ethical/scenario type questions or will there be a stronger focus on my application itself?
Thanks in advance.

quick question, does anyone know the ratio of # of interview invite/ # of acceptance? Thank you.

quick question, does anyone know the ratio of # of interview invite/ # of acceptance? Thank you.

About 400 of the 600 people interviewed eventually get accepted. So like a 66-67% acceptance rate

SDN virgin here, I am humbled by the opportunity to say this is my first post besides the verification thread.

Is there a set time frame that they review applications, such as the first and third tuesday of the month except after j months or when sounded as A, as in neighbour and weigh, or is it a somewhat rolling basis?

Pumped for a potential interview, it would be a delight to be in the Land of Lincoln.

About 400 of the 600 people interviewed eventually get accepted. So like a 66-67% acceptance rate

Wow, that's a pretty good acceptance rate! Do you know if that includes people who get off the wait-list eventually?

Wow, that's a pretty good acceptance rate! Do you know if that includes people who get off the wait-list eventually?

That should include everybody after they pull off the waitlist!

That should include everybody after they pull off the waitlist!

Ah, that makes sense then. Still pretty good, though. Thanks for the info! :) Hope MUCOM is treating you well!

Congrats to everyone with ii's today! :) When's everyone interviewing? I think I set mine for 9-27.

Congrats to everyone with ii's today! :) When's everyone interviewing? I think I set mine for 9-27.

October 4th. Soooo excited to interview. Can any current students comment on downer's grove as a city? How often do you actually visit chicago?

I have a a few questions about the interview here.
1. Is the CCOM interview a traditional interview, MMI, or like a group discussion (like LECOM)?
2. If the interview has a traditional portion, will the interviewers be asking a greater proportion of ethical/scenario type questions or will there be a stronger focus on my application itself?
Thanks in advance.

1. your interview will consist of you, one basic science faculty (or two if they do not have a doc), one clinical faculty and one student (usually). it is you and teh three of them

2. the interview is really laid back and relaxed and designed to be a conversation. the focus will be on your CV and your experiences as well as your knowledge of osteopathic medicine.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but how long after the interview does CCOM notify you as to their decision (ie rejection, waitlist, acceptance)? I'm interviewing on 9/30. Thanks!

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but how long after the interview does CCOM notify you as to their decision (ie rejection, waitlist, acceptance)? I'm interviewing on 9/30. Thanks!

Usually within two weeks (at most). Some hear back within a week. It depends on when the next committee meeting is

October 4th. Soooo excited to interview. Can any current students comment on downer's grove as a city? How often do you actually visit chicago?

Downers Grove is great. The school is located very close to the highway (I-88), two malls, and hundreds of stores/restaurants. It's literally a 2 to 3 minute drive to one of the malls. I'm not a good gauge for how often I visit Chicago because I've lived near here my whole life, but it's not too difficult to take the train to do so

Downers Grove is great. The school is located very close to the highway (I-88), two malls, and hundreds of stores/restaurants. It's literally a 2 to 3 minute drive to one of the malls. I'm not a good gauge for how often I visit Chicago because I've lived near here my whole life, but it's not too difficult to take the train to do so

How far is Chicago by train?

How far is Chicago by train?

25-30 minutes. Not a bad train ride at all, and the train station is basically in the middle of Downers (with three tracks).

I'm from the area and know Downers Grove fairly well (not a student of CCOM though). It's a great town in a great location, is very safe, etc. If you're not driving at rush hour (~7am-10am, ~4-7pm), Chicago is only about 30 minutes away. If you're driving at rush hour, it can be a good 1.5-2hr drive.

Downers Grove is situated near a ton of useful expressways (355N/S, i88e/w, i290e/w, i294n/s, i55n/s--to name all the major ones within 10-20 mins drive), so it's very easy to get to Chicago, or even to Wisconsin, Indiana, or the southern end of Illinois. More or less, the town is surrounded on all sides by highways and malls. (And yes, we have nicknames for all our highways--if you listen to a traffic report you might get confused hearing "the Stevenson'" (55) "the Eisenhower," (290) "the edens," "the dan ryan," "the Kennedy" etc.)

Also, it borders a ton of other wealthy Chicago suburbs (Naperville, Oak Brook, etc.), so if you can't find what you want in Downers (for example, Naperville has a larger downtown area, though Downers' is also a nice size) you can easily go to a town next door.

I can't answer any questions about CCOM in the context of Downers Grove, but feel free to ask me any questions about the town itself (lived in the area all my life).

Last edited:
25-30 minutes. Not a bad train ride at all, and the train station is basically in the middle of Downers (with three tracks).

I'm from the area and know Downers Grove fairly well (not a student of CCOM though). It's a great town in a great location, is very safe, etc. If you're not driving at rush hour (~7am-10am, ~4-7pm), Chicago is only about 30 minutes away. If you're driving at rush hour, it can be a good 1.5-2hr drive.

Downers Grove is situated near a ton of useful expressways (355N/S, i88e/w, i290e/w, i294n/s, i55n/s--to name all the major ones within 10-20 mins drive), so it's very easy to get to Chicago, or even to Wisconsin, Indiana, or the southern end of Illinois. More or less, the town is surrounded on all sides by highways and malls. (And yes, we have nicknames for all our highways--if you listen to a traffic report you might get confused hearing "the Stevenson'" (55) "the Eisenhower," (290) "the edens," "the dan ryan," "the Kennedy" etc.)

Also, it borders a ton of other wealthy Chicago suburbs (Naperville, Oak Brook, etc.), so if you can't find what you want in Downers (for example, Naperville has a larger downtown area, though Downers' is also a nice size) you can easily go to a town next door.

I can't answer any questions about CCOM in the context of Downers Grove, but feel free to ask me any questions about the town itself (lived in the area all my life).

How long does it take to get to o hare airport from ccom during rush hour? I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to my plane after the interview.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know when MWU starts sending rejections? I received a file completion email from CCOM/AZCOM August 1st and still haven't heard anything from them and nothing has changed on my account online.

I knew this school was a bit of reach for me considering my stats (27 / 3.5c / 3.5sc) and I'm starting to come to terms with the most likely explanation.