Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do I send LORs to? I can't find an address, physical or email....

Members don't see this ad :)
I might apply here as backup, depends on MCAT

Recent (as of a few weeks ago) alumni - happy to answer any questions

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hey, just curious. Im possibly wanting to specialize in plastic surgery or some form of surgery. I know DO's can specialize but with those goals how many people who specialized in surgery in your school were actually happy they chose DO rather than MD?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys, Anyone know the secondary essay prompts for this year?

Hey Guys, Anyone know the secondary essay prompts for this year?

This is what I dug up from last year's thread:

Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters) Why should CCOM accept you? (1500 characters)
+attached resume

I would really appreciate confirmation though.

Where do I send LORs to? I can't find an address, physical or email....
I would highly recommend using Interfolio to send your LOR's. Your letters are supposed to be confidential so they wont accept them if you send them directly. Trust me on this one and use Interfolio. You just have the writers upload the letter, and whenever you want you can select the schools you want, and your letters will be delivered electronically. Plus if you have to reapply (heaven forbid) you can reuse the letters if you need to cause theyll still be there from last time.

Here's the Admissions office number if you still want to call and ask for an address or something (630) 515-6171

Recent (as of a few weeks ago) alumni - happy to answer any questions

Posted using SDN Mobile

Could you please tell me a little about the community outreach programs offered through the Department of Family Medicine? Thanks!

Hey, just curious. Im possibly wanting to specialize in plastic surgery or some form of surgery. I know DO's can specialize but with those goals how many people who specialized in surgery in your school were actually happy they chose DO rather than MD?

I am doing family medicine but I know a few people who went into surgery and surgical sub specialties
We actually had a really good strong match this year
I can not speak for whether they were glad they went DO vs MD but they were happy with where they ended up as well as their education
As has been said on this board elsewhere, no matter the initials you will have a lot of work if you want to do plastics or a very über competitive specialty

Posted using SDN Mobile

What exactly is the Chicago-style OMM I read about? Thank you.

Our OMT department uses a lot of HVLA techniques and we as graduates are quite well known for that. As such there are ways that we do some of the techniques that were developed here in Chicago that are slightly different than taught elsewhere

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please tell me a little about the community outreach programs offered through the Department of Family Medicine? Thanks!

There is a under served clinic which you can help out at Thursday evenings in the city as soon as your first year and can slowly increase your participation as you gain more clinical experience
Hope that helps

Posted using SDN Mobile

This is what I dug up from last year's thread:

Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters) Why should CCOM accept you? (1500 characters)
+attached resume

I would really appreciate confirmation though.

Yep! That was the prompt.

hey guys,

I am a second year (just finished my first year) and a CCOM student. I lived on SDN when I was applying and it helped me tremendously. I would love to pay it back. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Could I get in here with a 3.6 & 24 (8/6/10). URM

Will I get any love 3.4/28 ?
The average GPA is 3.6 and the average MCAT is 29.. so some people are getting in with stats similar to yours. I think that as long as you have solid ECs and letters you could at least interview!

What do you think chances are with a 3.33/31?
Also is it true their are no online lectures?

Could I get in here with a 3.6 & 24 (8/6/10). URM

You need to raise your MCAT a few points, however, I do have classmates that have similar scores.

Will I get any love 3.4/28 ?

What do you think chances are with a 3.33/31?
Also is it true their are no online lectures?

The app process is a crap shoot, I had a 26 and had numerous interviews and acceptances, my friends had 30's and had no luck. Its pure chance and I do think they truly look at your whole application and look at you as a person and not just a number.

Not having lectures sucks, but more and more classes are recording lectures that are available online.

just got the secondary

Secondary received! Does anyone know if CCOM sends interview invites without letters? My committee letter won't be ready for at least a few weeks.

Secondary received here as well!

I just got a secondary too, yay. Questions for this year as follows:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

- Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
- Employment History
- Medically related work and volunteer experiences
- College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
- Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
- Hobbies and nonacademic interests

1500 characters for # 2,3

Just applied. Hopefully get the secondary soon

EDIT: I know you can send in additional LOR's, anyone know the limit? And can you send them in right when you submit the secondary?

Last edited:
Secondary received yesterday. Can't wait to plug and chug.

Just applied. Hopefully get the secondary soon

EDIT: I know you can send in additional LOR's, anyone know the limit? And can you send them in right when you submit the secondary?

Yes you can

How many can you send in though?
Generally, antything you feel would satisfy their requirement. Do not go crazy with 8 or something, but something around 4 will be just perfect. That's my understanding. Regards, OK

Just submitted my secondary. Really excited about this school.

I just got a secondary too, yay. Questions for this year as follows:

14. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

- Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
- Employment History
- Medically related work and volunteer experiences
- College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
- Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
- Hobbies and nonacademic interests

I am a bit confused with the CV. What happens when your employment history and medically related work are both the same? Are we supposed to keep the CV as organized as this, or are we free to stylize it as we want? For example, I don't see why leadership responsibilities is listed twice

I am a bit confused with the CV. What happens when your employment history and medically related work are both the same? Are we supposed to keep the CV as organized as this, or are we free to stylize it as we want? For example, I don't see why leadership responsibilities is listed twice

you can definitely organize it the most efficient way for your ECs

submitted secondary just now!

They aren't picky about the CV. You can design it any way that you'd like as long as it's organized and looks nice

Hey for any current students or Alumni, how did you like the campus and the surrounding area?

Secondary received! Does anyone know if CCOM sends interview invites without letters? My committee letter won't be ready for at least a few weeks.
If you have other letters that satisfy the letter requirements, then they would be able to send an interview invite. But until all the things on your applicant checklist are completed, they cannot.

Hey for any current students or Alumni, how did you like the campus and the surrounding area?
The campus is very nice. Everything is in close proximity and looks nice. The gym is a little lacking, but decent. The school is located very close to the highway, shopping malls, restaurants, and the train (not so much walking distance though). It's about 40-50 minutes from Chicago