Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering where the best apartments are to live around the school

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I received a letter earlier this month and I was ultimately placed on the alternate list here after my interview. Since I would consider this my first choice school, I have a lot of questions! Does anyone know exactly how the list works since its not ranked? Do they look at the alternate list during each AdCom meeting? I'll be sending in a letter of intent in the next few days, so they will get it before the Holiday break- I'm wondering when/how they evaluate additions to applications. Has anyone here been selected from the alternate list yet? Sorry for posting question after question!

Thanks!!

So.... I was also placed on the wait-list. From what I understand, they do not move the list until AFTER all acceptances have gone out. Generally this means the list does not start moving until June. I was one of the first accepted from the list and I didnt hear anything until June 19 actually.

And even though the list is "not ranked", I have a suspicion it is, based on the order all my friends got off and what their stats were.

The letter of intent should be sent to the Director of Admissions, Michael Laken, as from what Im told he is the only one who makes the decision at that point. But on the same note, I wouldnt send the LOI until around the end of May. And if you dont hear anything back, updating your file every 2 weeks is what admissions recommended.

The good news is that because the school is so damn expensive, A LOT of accepted people will withdraw their acceptances, so there's a great possibility youll get in. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering where the best apartments are to live around the school

I personally recommend Versailles on the Lakes. Its like a little MWU Community. Its 3 miles from campus, takes like 5 mins to get there even in rush hour. Rent is around $2000 a month for a 3 bedroom place, but thats actually pretty low for how nice the apartments are.
Also, if you refer me ill give you a kickback of $250. Which is half of what they discount your rent if you refer others!

Otherwise id recommend Yorktown Apartments, The Grove, Brookhill Apartments, and Cityview. Those are pretty much the top 5.

I'm a second year and I was on the waitlist for my year as well. I'd say that it's never too early to send an update letter. I interviewed in February and was waitlisted at that point. I sent 3 update letters, 2 additional letters of recommendation, and updated transcripts. I was accepted off of the waitlist in the middle of May via email. You just want to show them that you're very interested in attending without pestering them. A letter every 3 to 4 weeks or so is okay (as long as you're actually adding something to your file like new volunteering, awards, research, etc). I wouldn't expect any movement until May or June, as Chiz said

I personally recommend Versailles on the Lakes. Its like a little MWU Community. Its 3 miles from campus, takes like 5 mins to get there even in rush hour. Rent is around $2000 a month for a 3 bedroom place, but thats actually pretty low for how nice the apartments are.
Also, if you refer me ill give you a kickback of $250. Which is half of what they discount your rent if you refer others!

Otherwise id recommend Yorktown Apartments, The Grove, Brookhill Apartments, and Cityview. Those are pretty much the top 5.

Fellow UCF bro.. will PM if I have any questions. I thought I'd be the only one there.

just put in my deposit here! So excited!!! Hope to see you all there in the fall.

just declined my acceptance. what a tough, tough decision. good luck to all!

Last edited:
Just declined my acceptance. Hope it goes to someone here from SDN on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Does CCOM have an OMM scholars/fellows program?

Does CCOM have an OMM scholars/fellows program?

There are a massive amount of research opportunities for you. You can do a research elective during the year and choose to continue it during summer if you'd like. You will receive a stipend or credit hours for that. You can also apply to be an OMM fellow at the end of 2nd year. That adds on a year of teaching OMM workshops to MS1s and MS2s and there is some tuition reimbursement involved with it

Found VisceralFlame's reply earlier in the thread, so it appears there is a OMM fellows program!

Did you make your decision, JimmyB?

How long does CCOM usually take to give out an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Found VisceralFlame's reply earlier in the thread, so it appears there is a OMM fellows program!

Mhm. Chose the Windy City :D

I'm pumped to work hard and meet people!

Last edited:

Is there a facebook page yet for the class of 2019?

I'm interviewing here early february, will I be interviewing for a WL spot regardless of stats/application/interview?

Accepted! Dec 2nd interview complete in Oct. Great school, great interview experience, very happy for this news!

My lizzy score: 69

GL to those who are still waiting ;)

Also, the admissions is super nice with answering questions. I would suggest emailing them if you have specific questions about the school!!

Congrats you guys/gals - were any of you of you Dec. 9th or all earlier than that?

I'm interviewing here early february, will I be interviewing for a WL spot regardless of stats/application/interview?

I think if I recall correctly, you had really solid stats. I would bet you would be interviewing for a spot in the class, not a WL spot.

I think if I recall correctly, you had really solid stats. I would bet you would be interviewing for a spot in the class, not a WL spot.

You're correct in your recollection, thank you for your input!

No, a decent amount of interviewees from Jan/Feb/March will be accepted post-interview with no WL

Maybe I'll try to ring in again tomorrow, I called in after I saw that some Dec. interviewers had been hearing back and admissions told me that the committee was meeting this week and they haven't been green lighted to reveal anything atm.

accepted :) LizzieM score ~ 70
Tough chocie between CCOM and AZCOM! is anyone in the same boat as me?

Accepted here as well!!!! Interviewed 12/8 Stats: 31, 3.55, OOS. Also during my interview one of the current 2nd year students said that all of the lectures will be recorded and but online starting in the fall. He also said that a few classes are currently recorded and put online, I think anatomy was one of them. Not sure how accurate this is though.

Accepted here as well!!!! Interviewed 12/8 Stats: 31, 3.55, OOS. Also during my interview one of the current 2nd year students said that all of the lectures will be recorded and but online starting in the fall. He also said that a few classes are currently recorded and put online, I think anatomy was one of them. Not sure how accurate this is though.

Congrats on your acceptances! Also, what! This is amazing, hopefully will actually happen :) When I interviewed in September the students basically said "we're really working on it, but it's not looking great so far..." so I'm excited to hear they've made progress.

I really hope this actually happens. That would be so great. I was also told in October that "maybe one day..."

Congrats on your acceptances! Also, what! This is amazing, hopefully will actually happen :) When I interviewed in September the students basically said "we're really working on it, but it's not looking great so far..." so I'm excited to hear they've made progress.

Awesome to hear!

Can someone who's currently at CCOM confirm this?

Anyone know if a Canadian has ever been provided exception for the tuition pre-payment of all 4 years? Or any ideas on how to finance 4 years at the same time?

Last edited:
Can someone who's currently at CCOM confirm this?
Anatomy lectures are recorded and posted online by some of the department. It is currently being worked on to make this a thing in all lectures. However, students are welcome to audio record all lectures if they want to.

Pre-interview rejection yesterday through snail-mail :/

Last edited:
Not currently at but have friends who attend-- confirmed.

What did they say exactly? I just checked with some M1 friends I have there and they did not know anything about it. I am really wanting it to be true since I am planning on going here.

Complete on 9/26, received the pre-interview snail mail rejection today though it is dated 12/11.

For anyone who currently goes here, how did you justify the cost when selecting to go to CCOM? They said that tuition would be over $60K next year, and would rise 4-7% each year after that. I really loved the campus, the community and the school's academics, but I also have acceptances at KCUMB and LECOM-Bradenton (I'm an FL resident) so there is quite a cost gap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone who currently goes here, how did you justify the cost when selecting to go to CCOM? They said that tuition would be over $60K next year, and would rise 4-7% each year after that. I really loved the campus, the community and the school's academics, but I also have acceptances at KCUMB and LECOM-Bradenton (I'm an FL resident) so there is quite a cost gap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Really it's only because I live in Chicago and would like to stay close. Lots of ties here. Otherwise the price would probably be a deal breaker for me. I mean it's a big city/metro area. Lots of jobs.

Unless you're looking to move to Chicago after medical school, I wouldn't recommend attending CCOM. Bradenton is a fraction of the price. I'm a native Chicagoan and I'm cringing at the thought of paying CCOM tuition.