Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Of course tuition plays a role in the overall decision, but I wouldn't let it be the main deciding factor in my education

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just found another perk to go to this school: people not from the area think you've been accepted to U of Chicago!

Lol all joking aside, so many people think I've been accepted to U of Chicago. I think they just misinterpret when my family tells them im going to med school in Chicago. But anyways it's pretty funny and it's not a BAD mix-up :p

Just found another perk to go to this school: people not from the area think you've been accepted to U of Chicago!

Lol all joking aside, so many people think I've been accepted to U of Chicago. I think they just misinterpret when my family tells them im going to med school in Chicago. But anyways it's pretty funny and it's not a BAD mix-up :p
I get "North" western a lot

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

CCOM *was* originally located in Hyde Park, which is home to UChicago. Just more fuel for your fire... ;)

What did they say exactly? I just checked with some M1 friends I have there and they did not know anything about it. I am really wanting it to be true since I am planning on going here.
I just asked if what the above person said was true and they told me "Yes, it is."

For anyone who currently goes here, how did you justify the cost when selecting to go to CCOM? They said that tuition would be over $60K next year, and would rise 4-7% each year after that. I really loved the campus, the community and the school's academics, but I also have acceptances at KCUMB and LECOM-Bradenton (I'm an FL resident) so there is quite a cost gap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi just realized your post asked for current students' opinion and I am just an accepted student who is almost certainly going to be matriculating. Sorry for any confusion.

i know there is the new building that is under construction but i just wanted to check does CCOM have a stimulated fake patient to practice procedures and what not

i know there is the new building that is under construction but i just wanted to check does CCOM have a stimulated fake patient to practice procedures and what not
That doesn't sound very legal.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi CCOM 2015 applicants!

I am interested in applying to CCOM next cycle. After reviewing their website, I noticed that only 1/3 of their 2017 class is female (see: https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/il-osteopathic-medicine.html). Does anyone know anything about this gender gap? About half of all DO students in the US are female.

PS: apologizes if I posted this in the wrong thread or if this has been asked before (I tried searching and couldn't find anything)

Thanks for your help :cat:

That doesn't sound very legal.
I'm talking about a stimulated robot patient that can be set to demonstrate multiple diseases and conditions. I've been to multiple other medical
Schools that have these robots for practice for students

I'm talking about a stimulated robot patient that can be set to demonstrate multiple diseases and conditions. I've been to multiple other medical

Simulated vs. stimulated

Hi CCOM 2015 applicants!

I am interested in applying to CCOM next cycle. After reviewing their website, I noticed that only 1/3 of their 2017 class is female (see: https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/il-osteopathic-medicine.html). Does anyone know anything about this gender gap? About half of all DO students in the US are female.

PS: apologizes if I posted this in the wrong thread or if this has been asked before (I tried searching and couldn't find anything)

Thanks for your help :cat:
Yeah, our class was unique in that it was 2/3 male. The ratio is usually about 50/50 at CCOM. During orientation, the dean mentioned that sex is not specifically a factor that they look at when selecting applicants. They look for the individuals that they feel would be the best fit for the school, so the ratio can end up skewed depending on the applicants for that year.

The new building (that just opened right before winter break) is supposed to have an ER simulation room, but I haven't seen it yet. I did get a look at the huge lecture hall and I'm really excited to have some classes in there. It looks really nice

Yeah, our class was unique in that it was 2/3 male. The ratio is usually about 50/50 at CCOM. During orientation, the dean mentioned that sex is not specifically a factor that they look at when selecting applicants. They look for the individuals that they feel would be the best fit for the school, so the ratio can end up skewed depending on the applicants for that year

Interesting! Thanks for the explanation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth e-mailing/calling and asking whats up? Or should I expect the typical "you're still currently under review" most schools dish out when you ask?

Is it worth e-mailing/calling and asking whats up? Or should I expect the typical "you're still currently under review" most schools dish out when you ask?
It can't hurt to do so, but the admissions representatives that you would reach on the phone or via email don't have any say in your application. I would recommend sending an update letter if you're waiting in limbo

Did it and was told I'm still under review so might not be helpful

Hey guys! For those who had interviews, could you explain the set up of it? I understand it's a panel interview and the website mentions you join other interviewees to meet the interview panel. However, I heard from a previous applicant and the current AACOM page for CCOM says that the interview is not a group interview--it's a panel interview and you have 30-45 minutes with them.

Can someone clarify this for me? Is it a group interview (multiple applicants with the panel) or just a panel interview (you + 3 interviewers)?

Hey guys! For those who had interviews, could you explain the set up of it? I understand it's a panel interview and the website mentions you join other interviewees to meet the interview panel. However, I heard from a previous applicant and the current AACOM page for CCOM says that the interview is not a group interview--it's a panel interview and you have 30-45 minutes with them.

Can someone clarify this for me? Is it a group interview (multiple applicants with the panel) or just a panel interview (you + 3 interviewers)?
It's a panel interview. You + 2 to 3 others (professors, medical students, physicians). You meet with the other interviewees for presentations in the morning and then they start pulling people for individual interviews shortly after

It's a panel interview. You + 2 to 3 others (professors, medical students, physicians). You meet with the other interviewees for presentations in the morning and then they start pulling people for individual interviews shortly after

Thank you!

It can't hurt to do so, but the admissions representatives that you would reach on the phone or via email don't have any say in your application. I would recommend sending an update letter if you're waiting in limbo
Did it and was told I'm still under review so might not be helpful
Thanks y'all, appreciate the feedback

ii today! I'll be there on 2/20 - anyone know of any current medical students willing to let an interviewee stay the night before the interview? I'd really enjoy getting first-hand knowledge of the school from someone currently attending. Thanks!

ii today! I'll be there on 2/20 - anyone know of any current medical students willing to let an interviewee stay the night before the interview? I'd really enjoy getting first-hand knowledge of the school from someone currently attending. Thanks!

Congratulations! When were you complete?

Withdrew my application and cancelled my interview today upon acceptance to one of my top schools. It was for Feb 16, if anyone wants to snag the spot. Good luck all :)

Can any of the current students comment about how they are liking being a student at CCOM? I'll be matriculating in August and wondering about a few things that I've been told or read:

1. I've heard campus housing is not the nicest so it's best to look off campus for housing. Is this the case?
2. Are the campus facilities over crowded? Will there be space at the library during exam weeks?
3. Are faculty willing to go the extra mile to ensure students succeed in their careers?
4. What kind of comraderie/atmosphere is there among students? I've been told that student comraderie is great here but noticed on my interview day that many people commute from the city so I wasn't sure if this would lead to a more distant atmosphere.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions!

Can any of the current students comment about how they are liking being a student at CCOM? I'll be matriculating in August and wondering about a few things that I've been told or read:

1. I've heard campus housing is not the nicest so it's best to look off campus for housing. Is this the case?
2. Are the campus facilities over crowded? Will there be space at the library during exam weeks?
3. Are faculty willing to go the extra mile to ensure students succeed in their careers?
4. What kind of comraderie/atmosphere is there among students? I've been told that student comraderie is great here but noticed on my interview day that many people commute from the city so I wasn't sure if this would lead to a more distant atmosphere.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions!

Campus housing isn't anything crazy special but it's convenient to live walking distance from all your classes. Especially when you consider the fact that you really don't spend as much time at home as you'd expect with classes all week and lots of weekend commitments. However, it can get pretty pricy. Surprisingly campus facilities aren't that overcrowded. You may need to park on the fourth or fifth floor of the parking garage if you have a late start somedays, but you'll always have a spot. There's always seats in the library to study, it's just sometimes difficult to snag a group study room. The faculty is phenomenal. They go above and beyond to help the students understand the concepts in class and they are available for out of class help via email or in person. Even though the class size exceeds 200 people, your class will grow to be very close. Sure, a lot of people commute, but class is as much a social experience as an educational one. So even if the people who live an hour away aren't going out every night after class with people, they still make it to many of the weekend events and often just crash on the couch of someone who lives near or in Downers Grove. Hope that helps!

Just received an II!! Scheduled my interview for Monday, January 26.

Just received an II!! Scheduled my interview for Monday, January 26.

Good luck!! The interview is very fair and they make sure to make you feel as comfortable as they possibly can! Just review your CV and secondary thoroughly. Also, Please let us know what they say about the Adcom meeting at the end of this month! Ha, fellow January interviewee here! :)

Good luck!! The interview is very fair and they make sure to make you feel as comfortable as they possibly can! Just review your CV and secondary thoroughly. Also, Please let us know what they say about the Adcom meeting at the end of this month! Ha, fellow January interviewee here! :)
Thank you for the tips. I'll thoroughly look over my application over the weekend because it's been a while haha. If they mention anything about the Adcom meeting, I'll be glad to share! Super pumped for this interview!

P.S. - I submitted an update letter about a couple weeks ago, so I'm not sure if that had to do with this but I'm sure it didn't hurt. If you haven't heard from them in a while, I'd definitely recommend sending one!

hey guys,

I am a second year (just finished my first year) and a CCOM student. I lived on SDN when I was applying and it helped me tremendously. I would love to pay it back. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello!

I was wondering if you take any of your classes with other health students, such as pa, pharmacy, or PT students? I heard that Western does that, and think it would be neat to start working with other members of care team early on.

Thanks!

Hello!

I was wondering if you take any of your classes with other health students, such as pa, pharmacy, or PT students? I heard that Western does that, and think it would be neat to start working with other members of care team early on.

Thanks!
I don't know the answer I'm pre-med cycle 2016-2017, but I just wanted to say that's how I prioritized schools on my list. All my top 10 emphasive inter-professional education/ and or training. Western is my #7

Hello!

Thanks!
During my first year, we took Biochem with students from the masters program and the pharmacy program. Pharmacology used to be combined with the pharmacy students as well, but they've moved away from both so they can focus on topics that relate more towards what's best for each program. The only remaining class that incorporates students from different programs is Healthcare Communications where you do small group work and cases requiring input from each profession. Taking the classes together didn't really relate to how we would interact with each other in the future at all unfortunately. It was just more crowded and less people went to the lectures. There are events that incorporate all fields if you're looking to meet people from other classes

During my first year, we took Biochem with students from the masters program and the pharmacy program. Pharmacology used to be combined with the pharmacy students as well, but they've moved away from both so they can focus on topics that relate more towards what's best for each program. The only remaining class that incorporates students from different programs is Healthcare Communications where you do small group work and cases requiring input from each profession. Taking the classes together didn't really relate to how we would interact with each other in the future at all unfortunately. It was just more crowded and less people went to the lectures. There are events that incorporate all fields if you're looking to meet people from other classes

How time consuming is the Healthcare Communications class? I mean, do you feel that it was burdensome/took away time you needed to spend studying other stuff, or did you find it enlightening/a welcome respite from studying other stuff? I see on the MWU website course catalog that it looks like you only take it for one quarter (?). Just curious, I remember reading some students at WesternU complain about their interdisciplinary class.

How time consuming is the Healthcare Communications class? I mean, do you feel that it was burdensome/took away time you needed to spend studying other stuff, or did you find it enlightening/a welcome respite from studying other stuff? I see on the MWU website course catalog that it looks like you only take it for one quarter (?). Just curious, I remember reading some students at WesternU complain about their interdisciplinary class.
Healthcare communications is a joke. The final is online and everyone has the answers. It's more of an annoyance that you have to show up for a few group sessions than anything else.

Healthcare communications is a joke. The final is online and everyone has the answers. It's more of an annoyance that you have to show up for a few group sessions than anything else.

Well, that's good - although online final sounds kinda sketch. I guess at other schools the class/associated work can be quite time consuming busy work-esque, which sounds like it would be a major pain in the butt when you have so much real work on your plate...

I'm glad Midwestern has moved away from combining basic science courses for multiple degree programs.

Hey! Congratulations thats awesome news.. by anychance do you remember when you were complete?
Thank you very much.

So my case is a little unique. I was complete late November but I asked them to wait for my new mcat score which was released January 12th. Then I got an ii on the 22nd.

@MedSchoolHopeful14 - The committee is supposed to meet at the beginning of next month (like next week or week after next) with decisions maybe around 3 weeks from now.

@MedSchoolHopeful14 - The committee is supposed to meet at the beginning of next month (like next week or week after next) with decisions maybe around 3 weeks from now.

Oh jeez! So we still have quite a bit of waiting to do! Ah, well thanks so much for updating back! I guess I should stop having an anxiety attack each time my phone buzzes for these next two weeks haha. How did your interview go? :)

Oh jeez! So we still have quite a bit of waiting to do! Ah, well thanks so much for updating back! I guess I should stop having an anxiety attack each time my phone buzzes for these next two weeks haha. How did your interview go? :)
It was very conversational and I really liked the school. I'll be anxiously waiting to hear back from them haha

Been complete since October.. all I hear is white noise with a whole bunch of no news from CCOM.. what to do, what to do?

Been complete since October.. all I hear is white noise with a whole bunch of no news from CCOM.. what to do, what to do?
I would recommend sending an update letter. I sent in two and I received my II twelve days after I sent my second one.

@abc786 I completed 1/13 and haven't heard anything either. I will keep you posted.
You were complete a couple weeks ago; it's still pretty early. Just sit tight and just be patient for now because they have so many applications to sort through.

Is anyone else interviewing March 16th? and what hotels do guys recommend?

I would recommend sending an update letter. I sent in two and I received my II twelve days after I sent my second one.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Will do. Did you formally mail one or email it? Also do you have a structure on how you organized the letter? Appreciate your input.