Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Will do. Did you formally mail one or email it? Also do you have a structure on how you organized the letter? Appreciate your input.

I emailed it to the admissions email. Here's some advice on what to put in the letter by a current student:
Yeah, I'd send a full page letter, formally-written with a header and "Dear Admissions Committee" etc. Make sure that you reiterate your interest in CCOM on top of adding new updates. Explain why you would be a great addition to the incoming class and why you want to attend. Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!! Interviewed 12/9. 3.8/32/OOS.

May I ask why you were shooting for a DO school with your stats? Do you adhere more with their philosophy? Especially considering the price, I guess I just want to understand your point of view.

Getting in isn't guaranteed, so worry about performing well at your interview first. Once you're in, then you can think about the potential $900 loss (you get $100 back if you withdraw 30 days before orientation). It's a small price to pay for a coveted spot at a school like CCOM (5% acceptance rate).

Keep in mind that most private schools have extremely low acceptance rates because of the astronomical amount of applications they get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted just now!! I interviewed 1/12!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!! I am so humbled and grateful to say that I just got the email 15 minutes ago. I Interviewed Jan 12th. This is my dream school, and I want to thank my family, friends, professors, and all of you lovely SDNers for supporting me throughout this process! :) I am definitely attending and I wish everyone that has been accepted a hearty congratulations! I am praying for all of you waiting to hear back and hope everyone gets where they need to be!!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted as well!! Best of luck to those still waiting! Can't wait to meet you all :D

Edit: I interviewed 1/26.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
May I ask why you were shooting for a DO school with your stats? Do you adhere more with their philosophy? Especially considering the price, I guess I just want to understand your point of view.

Because in 2 cycles (last year and this year) I've applied to 23 MD schools in-state and out of state, public and private and received 1 MD interview (last cycle) and it was in March for a spot on a wait list. With last year in mind this year I applied to 14 MD and 10 DO schools. So far DO schools are significantly more interested in me (5 interviews, 4 attended, 3 acceptances and 1 one wait list). I've shadowed DOs from the schools I applied to and I'm comfortable/confident in the skills I'll acquire at any of the DO schools I chose to apply at.

Reactions: 4 users
Although I applied and got an interview invite. I'm thinking of cancelling since I've already been accepted elsewhere. Although I am from the Chicagoland area, the prospect of paying 25k more each year is really something that makes me cringe. I also know that I don't want to reside in Chicago in the future. So it would be better to give someone else a chance to interview. You guys Agree?

Although I applied and got an interview invite. I'm thinking of cancelling since I've already been accepted elsewhere. Although I am from the Chicagoland area, the prospect of paying 25k more each year is really something that makes me cringe. I also know that I don't want to reside in Chicago in the future. So it would be better to give someone else a chance to interview. You guys Agree?

Yes please ;)

But really, do what you have to do. Congrats on your acceptance

Reactions: 1 user

If you'll be happy at your other acceptance and not wonder for the next 4 years (and beyond), "would I have been better off at CCOM...?", then go with your other school. I am in a similar situation, declining an interview at another well-respected school, so I know how you feel. Ultimately, I currently have great options that I'm ecstatic about, so someone else will be much happier to have that interview spot.

However, if you have any inkling that CCOM would be a good fit for you, go to the interview so you can make the most informed decision.

Good luck!

Old SDN creeper, new SDN user. Found out earlier today I've been accepted to CCOM. Looking forward to meeting all of u. Interviewed 1/20

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you'll be happy at your other acceptance and not wonder for the next 4 years (and beyond), "would I have been better off at CCOM...?", then go with your other school. I am in a similar situation, declining an interview at another well-respected school, so I know how you feel. Ultimately, I currently have great options that I'm ecstatic about, so someone else will be much happier to have that interview spot.

However, if you have any inkling that CCOM would be a good fit for you, go to the interview so you can make the most informed decision.

Good luck!
Thank you for this. I finally made my choice. I'll be cancelling my interview at ccom. Just put deposit down at kycom. I feel more comfortable with block exams over 2 to 3 exams per week.

All the best runningirl3

Thank you for this. I finally made my choice. I'll be cancelling my interview at ccom. Just put deposit down at kycom. I feel more comfortable with block exams over 2 to 3 exams per week.

All the best runningirl3

Glad you found it helpful! Best wishes to you at KYCOM. I'm still trying to make a few tough decisions... and I agree with you about the exam schedule.

How long does it take to get to downtown Chicago from CCOM and what is the best way to get there?

How long does it take to get to downtown Chicago from CCOM and what is the best way to get there?
Metra's a great option, but I think the station might be a decent way away from CCOM. If you drive, you can take 290 west. It shouldn't take more than half an hour when it's not rush hour. During rush hour it could be an hour or worse.

Downers Grove is about 35 minutes away from downtown Chicago. Your best bet to go into the city is probably, as others have mentioned above, either taking the metra train from downers grove to the ogilve stop or by car (though lord knows that the traffic can significantly alter travel times depending on when you go if you decide to drive).

Metra's a great option, but I think the station might be a decent way away from CCOM. If you drive, you can take 290 west. It shouldn't take more than half an hour when it's not rush hour. During rush hour it could be an hour or worse.

Beat me to it haha :)

Downers Grove is about 35 minutes away from downtown Chicago. Your best bet to go into the city is probably, as others have mentioned above, either taking the metra train from downers grove to the ogilve stop or by car (though lord knows that the traffic can significantly alter travel times depending on when you go if you decide to drive).
Thanks so much, I'm planning my trip there now, I've never been to Chicago, what are things that are must do's while in Chicago? Also, if I'm staying there for a couple of days, do you think it's better to stay at a hotel in downtown Chicago?

Thanks so much, I'm planning my trip there now, I've never been to Chicago, what are things that are must do's while in Chicago? Also, if I'm staying there for a couple of days, do you think it's better to stay at a hotel in downtown Chicago?

Personally I'd be worried about getting to the interview in the morning if you're coming from a hotel downtown - rush hour traffic can be brutal during the hours you'd be traveling. You could take the Metra train from downtown to Downers Grove, but then you'd have to get a cab or something from the train to campus. You'd probably have to call and arrange one in advance, I'm not sure if cabs wait at that station.

Besides that part, there are so many wonderful things to do in Chicago! You should definitely do tourist stuff, like eating deep dish pizza. Giordano's is my personal recommendation, but some people prefer Lou Malnati's or something else. Pizzeria Uno is supposed to be the original deep dish, very delicious and might be a convenient option if you're staying downtown. If weather is bad, I'd hit up any of the awesome Chicago museums - but be aware admissions can be expensive. The Art Institute is really something special, and there's something for everyone in terms of all varieties of art. My favorite is the Field Museum (natural history), which is located on the Museum Campus next to the aquarium and planetarium. I hope you enjoy your trip :)

Reactions: 2 users
Personally I'd be worried about getting to the interview in the morning if you're coming from a hotel downtown - rush hour traffic can be brutal during the hours you'd be traveling. You could take the Metra train from downtown to Downers Grove, but then you'd have to get a cab or something from the train to campus. You'd probably have to call and arrange one in advance, I'm not sure if cabs wait at that station.

Besides that part, there are so many wonderful things to do in Chicago! You should definitely do tourist stuff, like eating deep dish pizza. Giordano's is my personal recommendation, but some people prefer Lou Malnati's or something else. Pizzeria Uno is supposed to be the original deep dish, very delicious and might be a convenient option if you're staying downtown. If weather is bad, I'd hit up any of the awesome Chicago museums - but be aware admissions can be expensive. The Art Institute is really something special, and there's something for everyone in terms of all varieties of art. My favorite is the Field Museum (natural history), which is located on the Museum Campus next to the aquarium and planetarium. I hope you enjoy your trip :)
Speaking of the Field Museum (one of my personal favorites along with the Museum of Science and Industry) there is free basic admission every day in February for Illinois residents!

Definitely check it out while you're in Chicago @sxogriff820 . My favorite exhibit there is either the Egyptian mummy exhibit or the Evolving Planet exhibit detailing evolution from the beginning of earth to now. Good luck on your interview! :)

I completely second what these ladies have said! Just like @ananasmed said, I would be hesitant to come from downtown to CCOM in the morning of your interview. I live 20 mins away and still had a 45 min commute the day of my interview since it was snowing and it was rush hour on a Monday morning! Also, the Shedd Aquarium and the museum of science and industry are definitely must do. In addition, of course you can go to the sky deck in Sears Tower, see the bean (though these two are a tad bit overrated haha), walk along Michigan Ave, and have some delicious Chicago-style pizza! Good luck on your interview!! :)

Reactions: 1 users

I did successfully go from downtown (well, just north of downtown) to CCOM on a snowy morning for an interview. However, I left myself about 2 hours of travel time (and arrived before the admissions folks did... lol). I think it took about 1 hour, 10 minutes to get there, but I ended up taking I-55 instead of I-290, because 290 was WAY backed up.

I completely second what these ladies have said! Just like @ananasmed said, I would be hesitant to come from downtown to CCOM in the morning of your interview. I live 20 mins away and still had a 45 min commute the day of my interview since it was snowing and it was rush hour on a Monday morning! Also, the Shedd Aquarium and the museum of science and industry are definitely must do. In addition, of course you can go to the sky deck in Sears Tower, see the bean (though these two are a tad bit overrated haha), walk along Michigan Ave, and have some delicious Chicago-style pizza! Good luck on your interview!! :)

I second the Shedd Aquarium! It was great! And the sky deck was really neat.

Still haven't heard anything. Should I send an update letter about my current job if I wasn't listed on my AACOMAS but it was on my CV?

I know the AACOMAS gives more details and a better description that the CV and I have also been promoted since I turned in my CV.

Still haven't heard anything. Should I send an update letter about my current job if I wasn't listed on my AACOMAS but it was on my CV?

I know the AACOMAS gives more details and a better description that the CV and I have also been promoted since I turned in my CV.
Haven't heard anything post-interview?

Accepted to CCOM since Jan 29th. I interviewed Jan 27th. I'm debating if I should accept though because of the high tuition. Also, I would prefer to stay in FL because my family is here (interview for LECOM-B this Friday).

Can anyone here justify the 100k extra in tuition cost if I choose CCOM? I understand their residency match is fantastic and I'm interested in anesthesiology. However, are their reputation and rotations really worth 100k?

I submitted my secondary application 1/13. Is it too early to expect a reply?

I submitted my secondary application 1/13. Is it too early to expect a reply?
I was complete mid-July and only heard back last month. The cycle is a crapshoot and who knows what goes on. Hang tight and good luck!

Hey guys, I have my interview coming up. Can anyone speak to the stress level of the interview? For some reason, I'm stressing over this one. I would love to go to this school and I'm worried that I won't give off a good impression...

Hey guys, I have my interview coming up. Can anyone speak to the stress level of the interview? For some reason, I'm stressing over this one. I would love to go to this school and I'm worried that I won't give off a good impression...

Interviewed 02/02

I was way stressed as this was my first interview. Can't speak for anyone else's experience but the staff and students made me feel very comfortable and the stress melted away. Those that sat on my panel were really welcoming and nice and the interview felt more like a conversation.

Best of luck to you and try to remember that if you're being interviewed that they are actually very interested in you. If you made it this far you're qualified to attend.

Rejected today as I await my january 23rd MCAT score.....guess they didnt care bout that score :( I transfered my app to their MA Health Science degree. Does anyone know anything about that? I already have my MS in Medical Science with a 3.95 GPA. Not sure if doing their MA route will do any good. ugh what gives??!!

Rejected today as I await my january 23rd MCAT score.....guess they didnt care bout that score :( I transfered my app to their MA Health Science degree. Does anyone know anything about that? I already have my MS in Medical Science with a 3.95 GPA. Not sure if doing their MA route will do any good. ugh what gives??!!
:( sorry to hear that. When were you complete?

There are lots of people in our class who did the masters program before medical school. It seems like MWU is big on accepting from within their program, plus you'll have a leg up on a lot of the people in your class for courses like biochemistry and physiology. Good luck!

There are lots of people in our class who did the masters program before medical school. It seems like MWU is big on accepting from within their program, plus you'll have a leg up on a lot of the people in your class for courses like biochemistry and physiology. Good luck!
Thank you. I needed to hear that :)

Hm... I don't know your current MCAT but if the January score turns out much better, maybe it will be enough to succeed next cycle without another master's?

Random question!

Does anyone know if CCOM students are given access to UpToDate/Dynamed/Access Medicine ?

How often does the CCOM admissions committee meet? I just submitted a letter of intent and was wondering if that would help spur some movement for my application. I've been complete since August.

For those wondering... some numbers from my interview today:
applicants/interviewed/accepted/matriculants: 8000+/600+/400+/204-206