Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just paid the deposit...my bank account is sad because it lost so much but can't wait for orientation in August!

Who else is commuting to save money? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just paid the deposit...my bank account is sad because it lost so much but can't wait for orientation in August!

Who else is commuting to save money? :oops:

Congrats on your deposit! One step closer to all of this becoming real haha. I'm planning to commute, too... Hopefully we can have some kind of commuters' coalition so we can still make friends lol.

Congrats on your deposit! One step closer to all of this becoming real haha. I'm planning to commute, too... Hopefully we can have some kind of commuters' coalition so we can still make friends lol.

I am also planning on commuting! I have also submitted my seat deposit as well and I'm so excited to start. Though it still feels so unreal haha. I'm like nervous to tell people I'm accepted here because it still hasn't sunk in. Yes, a commuter's coalition sounds fabulous so that we aren't all by our lonesome!

Also, open question for all: once seat deposit has been paid, do we just do our immunizations/physical and our background check by July? Or is there a time frame to get all of that done as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes let's make a commuters' coalition! I commuted for half of undergrad and was sort of antisocial. (My mom: "Why didn't you make any friends?") I'm hoping med school is different haha

Yes let's make a commuters' coalition! I commuted for half of undergrad and was sort of antisocial. (My mom: "Why didn't you make any friends?") I'm hoping med school is different haha

Oh gosh, exactly! By the time I found other commuting folks, it was time to graduate lol. I really hope med school is different too!

How long/far are you guys commuting?

I am also planning on commuting! I have also submitted my seat deposit as well and I'm so excited to start. Though it still feels so unreal haha. I'm like nervous to tell people I'm accepted here because it still hasn't sunk in. Yes, a commuter's coalition sounds fabulous so that we aren't all by our lonesome!

Also, open question for all: once seat deposit has been paid, do we just do our immunizations/physical and our background check by July? Or is there a time frame to get all of that done as well?

As far as I know, I don't think there's a deadline date that I can see for the immunizations and physical form. I got mine done and sent in online, and it was all very painless/unceremonious. The background check it seems we can give "authorization", but have to wait for further instruction for the fingerprinting. Don't forget to send in your transcript(s) and get started on your financial aid stuff too! :) But I think the transcripts only have to be in a few weeks before classes start... so basically there doesn't seem to be much of a rush on anything, unless your titers come back low and you need booster series for Hep B or something lol. Even so, plenty of time.

Roughly 25 miles. Knowing Chicago traffic, anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour each way :confused:

Same. Commuters United! See, we're already making friends... tell your mom :laugh:

As far as I know, I don't think there's a deadline date that I can see for the immunizations and physical form. I got mine done and sent in online, and it was all very painless/unceremonious. The background check it seems we can give "authorization", but have to wait for further instruction for the fingerprinting. Don't forget to send in your transcript(s) and get started on your financial aid stuff too! :) But I think the transcripts only have to be in a few weeks before classes start... so basically there doesn't seem to be much of a rush on anything, unless your titers come back low and you need booster series for Hep B or something lol. Even so, plenty of time.

Same. Commuters United! See, we're already making friends... tell your mom :laugh:

Sounds good! Thank you! :) Same for me as well! About a 35 minute drive.

Did they mention how full they are?

They did not mention, and surprisingly no one asked... that's a good question. :oops:

How did your interview go? :)
Unfortunately, it could've been better. Not sure if this was everyone's experience, but my panel was kind of cold and unresponsive. They were nice people, but just didn't really respond to my answers, kind of just slightly nodded and moved on to the next question. This experience is similar to what other people in my interview group said of that panel as well, but it was very unnerving. Plus, I know I could have answered some questions better. For some reason I was having trouble articulating what I really wanted to say, and stumbling a lot. Anyway... I'm hoping it didn't go as poorly as I thought. Perhaps it's just my worrisome nature.

They did not mention, and surprisingly no one asked... that's a good question. :oops:

Unfortunately, it could've been better. Not sure if this was everyone's experience, but my panel was kind of cold and unresponsive. They were nice people, but just didn't really respond to my answers, kind of just slightly nodded and moved on to the next question. This experience is similar to what other people in my interview group said of that panel as well, but it was very unnerving. Plus, I know I could have answered some questions better. For some reason I was having trouble articulating what I really wanted to say, and stumbling a lot. Anyway... I'm hoping it didn't go as poorly as I thought. Perhaps it's just my worrisome nature.

I had the same experience with my panel and totally thought I must have blown it, but was ultimately accepted. So don't fret too much!

Did they mention when the adcom is meeting next?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same experience with my panel and totally thought I must have blown it, but was ultimately accepted. So don't fret too much!

Aw, okay, that's definitely reassuring. I'm hoping for the best... :xf:Thank you!

I asked the admissions rep, and she said our decisions would "hopefully be within a week to two weeks, definitely by the end of the month", I then asked her how often the committee meets and she said once a month. Which is surprising because it seems decisions here are much quicker (or more frequent, shall I say) than once a month. Ultimately though, no definite answer on a meeting date. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Aw, okay, that's definitely reassuring. I'm hoping for the best... :xf:Thank you!

I asked the admissions rep, and she said our decisions would "hopefully be within a week to two weeks, definitely by the end of the month", I then asked her how often the committee meets and she said once a month. Which is surprising because it seems decisions here are much quicker (or more frequent, shall I say) than once a month. Ultimately though, no definite answer on a meeting date. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post... I don't know how to delete em. :confused:

I recently went through the wait for the decision, so so I totally understand. I just wanted to send positive vibes and tons of good luck your way! I'm sure you will hear some good news soon! :)

any II's lately? late applicant here but I just sent in an update....hopefully that helps?

Hi fellow Sdners!lol, So I was complete at this school right before Christmas...Is it time to freak out at all if I haven't heard anything from them?Anyone in the same boat or complete way before Christmas and hasn't heard any decision yet? Also, is there anyone complete Late December or sometime in January and has already heard from them already. I would appreciate your answers. Thanks

Hi fellow Sdners!lol, So I was complete at this school right before Christmas...Is it time to freak out at all if I haven't heard anything from them?Anyone in the same boat or complete way before Christmas and hasn't heard any decision yet? Also, is there anyone complete Late December or sometime in January and has already heard from them already. I would appreciate your answers. Thanks

It is never time to freak out. All you can do if you are not granted an interview is find out why, and improve your application for the next year.

Remember that you are trying to enter a profession that requires stress management and the ability to endure hardship throughout your career. The time to start showing your ability to do this is now.

It is never time to freak out. All you can do if you are not granted an interview is find out why, and improve your application for the next year.

Remember that you are trying to enter a profession that requires stress management and the ability to endure hardship throughout your career. The time to start showing your ability to do this is now.
Thanks for your wise words. I do appreciate that . Maybe I chose the wrong words "freak out " in my question, I am just simply trying to figure out where I stand in the application cycle through this thread, you know? And , yeah, I am always trying to be better than I was yesterday, and improving in everything I do is something I definitely I work on. I Hope your application cycle is going well so far!

My secondary was complete in early January. I got an II from Western recently but haven't heard back from Touro and Midwestern. Did you apply to other DO schools as well?

Complete 1/14/15. Received II last Friday just to give you an idea. Best of luck to you all.

Reactions: 2 users
My secondary was complete in early January. I got an II from Western recently but haven't heard back from Touro and Midwestern. Did you apply to other DO schools as well?
Thanks for the info @doppio ...yes I did apply to a few other schools too...complete mid december at most schools and basically early january at the other schools. So far, one pre hold interview, and one interview invite. I guess we just got wait and see.

If anyone wants a March 10th interview date, it is now open y'all!

I was complete 1/13/15 and still haven't heard anything....looks like it is either around now or not at all :(

I was complete 1/13/15 and still haven't heard anything....looks like it is either around now or not at all :(
What makes you say that?

It's only been 4 weeks and their app deadline is 3/1. Sure, it's getting late, but I wouldn't say there's no chance.

For whatever it's worth, CCOM has some sort of a strange order when it comes to giving ii decisions. There were some people who heard back within days of being complete, and then there are others with seemingly stellar stats still waiting to hear back since being complete in July. So don't lose hope! It's not over until it's over. Good luck! I hope you hear back soon, and remember to keep sending them update letters since they seem to help!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if CCOM interviewed students in the range [3.4 gpa] [27 MCAT (9,9,9)] ?

Last edited:
Past status change days: 11/14, 12/16, 1/29 -- So I suppose it could be this week or next week! I interviewed 2/9, so I'm waiting with you guys!

While that's true, remember that those mid-month dates included people who interviewed at the beginning of that month *and* the end/middle of the previous month... so the first day acceptances went out was 10/10, meaning everyone who interviewed in September and the beginning of October got news on 10/10. Anyone who interviewed in October after the 10th had to wait til 11/14. Since they sent out acceptances on 1/29, I kinda doubt they'll send out another batch in the middle of February. Don't get me wrong - when I was waiting to hear back, I was checking the portal constantly - and if I were you right now I would absolutely be checking it every day just in case! Just figure it's always good to be realistic in your optimism :) I hope you hear back sooner than I'm anticipating.

Question: interviewing this Friday, anyone able to get me in contact with potential student hosts for Thursday night? I'd really appreciate it, thank you!

While that's true, remember that those mid-month dates included people who interviewed at the beginning of that month *and* the end/middle of the previous month... so the first day acceptances went out was 10/10, meaning everyone who interviewed in September and the beginning of October got news on 10/10. Anyone who interviewed in October after the 10th had to wait til 11/14. Since they sent out acceptances on 1/29, I kinda doubt they'll send out another batch in the middle of February. Don't get me wrong - when I was waiting to hear back, I was checking the portal constantly - and if I were you right now I would absolutely be checking it every day just in case! Just figure it's always good to be realistic in your optimism :) I hope you hear back sooner than I'm anticipating.

That's true, they could always be behind. Thanks, I'm hoping to hear soon too! Always a guessing game, lol.

My interview's in five and a half hours, and I can't sleep. What is life...?

Anyone know on what date the committee meeting might be? Thanks!

I tried to ask via email after submitting my thank you email, and received no response -_-

During my interview they said the adcom meets every last Thursday on the month and it seems like they have stayed true to that.

For those who got in, what was your GPA and MCAT? How about those who are waiting?