Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone recently get any interview invites?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder what the lowest accepted MCAT score is?

Reactions: 1 user

Others can chime in to confirm and add, but the lowest I've heard of, from last year's thread and personal stories, is 24. I don't think they have a cutoff per se since I do think they look at your whole application, but 24 is the lowest I've heard. Definitely not sure though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure. Some schools will advertise that number. However, I will say that I disagree with posts I have read about CCOM being focused more on MCAT than on science GPA. From what I have seen, a very high science GPA seems to offset an MCAT lower than their average. That actually seems to be a trend with all of the DO schools I applied to this cycle. I see many people posting scores in the ballpark of science GPA 3.1-3.3 and MCATs of 30-32 and getting rejected from several Osteopathic schools. I think that science GPA is more important than people realize. I interviewed at LECOM erie and I honestly did not like the school at all. Many people love it, and that is great. No disrespect. However, a guy from admissions spoke to all of the candidates and clearly stated that they believe that science GPA is the most important indicator of how a student will function in medical school, especially how well they performed in their most difficult science classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Others can chime in to confirm and add, but the lowest I've heard of, from last year's thread and personal stories, is 24. I don't think they have a cutoff per se since I do think they look at your whole application, but 24 is the lowest I've heard. Definitely not sure though.

I took the MCAT twice, my first score was a 27 and my second was much lower :( -- apparently the MCAT is not my friend.
However, I'm a Master's student, and I had a really great undergrad GPA (summa cum laude). They did not have any of my graduate grades yet to consider. So I agree with that they probably consider GPA and overall academic performance much more. And I would assume they took my higher MCAT score over the low one.

Last edited:
When did you complete and got an invite and got interviewed?

When did you complete and got an invite and got interviewed?

Was this to me? Complete: 10/20 ii: 11/5 interviewed: 2/9 (had to reschedule my original date due to the flu.... I hate the flu...) accepted: 2/26

Was this to me? Complete: 10/20 ii: 11/5 interviewed: 2/9 (had to reschedule my original date due to the flu.... I hate the flu...) accepted: 2/26
Lol hate the flu. Still you got in. Congrats!

Two questions for you all:

1) So the talk around the block is that CCOM will have recorded lectures starting with the incoming class. I've had this confirmed by 1 person so far (it was actually mentioned in this thread earlier). Has anyone else heard about this and know if this is in fact true?

2) What do you guys think about using an IPAD with a stylus during class to take notes? Would it just be faster to type on a laptop?

I tried to use an ipad during undergrad to take notes. Using the stylus just isnt a good deal. The only way it works at all is if a professor gives a powerpoint that follows his or her lecture along 100% perfectly. Then you can save it as a pdf and mark it up. But it is a huge pain. It is so hard to be accurate. They are nice if you use office or google drive to type with.

Two questions for you all:

1) So the talk around the block is that CCOM will have recorded lectures starting with the incoming class. I've had this confirmed by 1 person so far (it was actually mentioned in this thread earlier). Has anyone else heard about this and know if this is in fact true?

2) What do you guys think about using an IPAD with a stylus during class to take notes? Would it just be faster to type on a laptop?

1. When I interviewed, two of the current students confirmed that recorded lectures were now being posted and that by the time we start, all classes will have recorded lectures. I am almost certain that this is accurate.

2. I have heard from a lot of students that this is a pretty efficient way of taking notes (as opposed to having printed PDFs of lectures and then handwriting additional notes), however I'm not too sure. Can any current students (or anyone, really) comment on the most efficient way of taking notes that's seemed to work for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. When I interviewed, two of the current students confirmed that recorded lectures were now being posted and that by the time we start, all classes will have recorded lectures. I am almost certain that this is accurate.

2. I have heard from a lot of students that this is a pretty efficient way of taking notes (as opposed to having printed PDFs of lectures and then handwriting additional notes), however I'm not too sure. Can any current students (or anyone, really) comment on the most efficient way of taking notes that's seemed to work for you?

1. Some classes already post recordings online and all classes allow students to audio record if they'd like already. I'm not 100% sure about what's going on with getting all classes on board with posting recordings to blackboard.

2. Depends on the class. Some classes it's helpful to take notes on the powerpoint because of pictures and charts and whatnot. Others it's more helpful to scribble notes in the margins of the note packets. It's mostly just something you'll have to figure out by trial and error.

Current students: do you currently supplement your study material with other books like Netters, Lippicott's, etc.? Also what books are you using for board review, when do you start reviewing for boards, do you annotate throughout the first two years, and how much dedicated Step 1 time does Midwestern give?

Thanks!

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 9th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 9th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

You are just going to send your secondary now? Wait and apply day 1 in June for next cycle, your chances now are about zero

The deadline for the secondary was March 1st... soooo... sorry but no.

LOL

Is anyone going to the Second Look on 3/20? The email says that it is from 10am-5pm, is it more of a come and go as you please type of thing? Should we dress business casual or more casual than that?

Current students: do you currently supplement your study material with other books like Netters, Lippicott's, etc.? Also what books are you using for board review, when do you start reviewing for boards, do you annotate throughout the first two years, and how much dedicated Step 1 time does Midwestern give?

Thanks!
As for supplementing our given notes for classes, I used a histology atlas (Netter's) and I found that to be extremely helpful. Otherwise, I haven't bought a single book for classes (besides Seidel's but that will be 100% required for the clinical class). I haven't started studying for boards because I'm only a first year. I'll let a second year answer that one for ya.

Is anyone going to the Second Look on 3/20? The email says that it is from 10am-5pm, is it more of a come and go as you please type of thing? Should we dress business casual or more casual than that?
I asked that question and I've been told it's casual. Just don't show up wearing scrubs or sweats! As for the schedule of the day, I'm not sure.

any II's recently? Just went to a health programs fair at my school and the rep from Midwestern said that the interview season isn't over. She wouldn't tell me when it ends though...

I've been complete since November and haven't heard a single thing. Do I still have a chance at an II or is it getting too late for that?

for some reason i thought second look started at 8:30?

I didn't get this email! :( Although I did just accept my offer of admission this past Friday..... When did you get the email?

I didn't get this email! :( Although I did just accept my offer of admission this past Friday..... When did you get the email?

I didn't get it either... and accepted my offer on 19 Feb. I did, however, get this week's cafeteria menu... hah. Either way, I don't think I'll be able to make it.

I didn't get it either... and accepted my offer on 19 Feb. I did, however, get this week's cafeteria menu... hah. Either way, I don't think I'll be able to make it.
I heard there are some nice running trails there :)

for some reason i thought second look started at 8:30?

The email says 10am - 5pm.

I think they basically sent one out right after the January admissions, and the whole thing is set up by current students, so they may just be a little slow... if you're in the Facebook group, you could ask one of the second year students about it/make sure it's okay to still come even though you haven't "RSVP'd" through the Google Doc they sent out. I'm sure it will be fine :) Worst case scenario, I think you should just show up if you're local! They haven't really sent out too much information about it (i.e. I have no idea if it's a whole day event or just a drop in thing).

Got this for you all cause I just love you guys already!!! :):):p
------
Hello Class of 2019!

Congratulations again on being accepted into CCOM for this upcoming fall!

We apologize for getting the Second Look Schedule to you guys so late; we needed to smooth out some last minute kinks and fit in a few professors/students since they wanted to meet everyone.

The event is overall pretty informal, and business professional/ business attire is not recommended.

Parking will be the same as interview day, but check-in will be in Science Hall (where the anatomy lab is located). Upon arrival, ask the security people up front and they can direct you if you get lost.

We look forward to meeting everyone!

CCOM SGA

Attachments

• SecondLook (1) (1).docx
    13.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Please check out the file uploaded, it's the itinerary for the day and the time listed differs from what many of you have mentioned... actually is 8am-4pm

Got this for you all cause I just love you guys already!!! :):):p
------
Hello Class of 2019!

Congratulations again on being accepted into CCOM for this upcoming fall!

We apologize for getting the Second Look Schedule to you guys so late; we needed to smooth out some last minute kinks and fit in a few professors/students since they wanted to meet everyone.

The event is overall pretty informal, and business professional/ business attire is not recommended.

Parking will be the same as interview day, but check-in will be in Science Hall (where the anatomy lab is located). Upon arrival, ask the security people up front and they can direct you if you get lost.

We look forward to meeting everyone!

CCOM SGA

8 AM it is! Wooh. Thanks for posting :)

Please check out the file uploaded, it's the itinerary for the day and the time listed differs from what many of you have mentioned... actually is 8am-4pm

Thanks so much for posting! :) Also, I just confirmed with the SGA, disregard the email that was sent this afternoon saying that second look day is 10-5. The email posted above is correct- the day starts at 8! Can't wait to meet all of you guys then!

Is anyone taking out the MWU loan as opposed to the graduate plus? (Since federal unsubsidized loans don't cover all)

What are the pros and cons of MWU loan over graduate plus?

Is anyone taking out the MWU loan as opposed to the graduate plus? (Since federal unsubsidized loans don't cover all)

What are the pros and cons of MWU loan over graduate plus?

Whoa, I did not even know this existed?? I just applied for federal aid + grad PLUS and am crossing my fingers.. is there another process to go about taking this MWU loan out? I will definitely need the full amount... Have you been talking to finaid office?

Does anyone know how many international student were accepted last year, or have been accepted this year?

Completed application in Dec, haven't hear anything yet, just told that I am still on the waiting list. Any tips for improving the chance to be interviewed?

Completed application in Dec, haven't hear anything yet, just told that I am still on the waiting list. Any tips for improving the chance to be interviewed?

I heard MWU really like seeing LOI (letter of intent). So I would think about sending one in the coming week just stating that you are still very interested in going here and update them on any current activities that have made you a stronger applicant. Good luck !

Complete 1/14/15. Received II last Friday just to give you an idea. Best of luck to you all.
Would you mind PMing me your stats? I felt like my late apps were holding me back, but I applied before you and never heard back.

Thanks!

MS-II here, let me know if you guys have any questions! Feel free to PM me with questions but responses might take a while! Good luck!

Just paid my deposit! See you guys in a few months. :D Also, does anyone else have a transcript requirement still on their checklist? Pretty sure that was already sent in with app lol.

Just paid my deposit! See you guys in a few months. :D Also, does anyone else have a transcript requirement still on their checklist? Pretty sure that was already sent in with app lol.
yeah it was but i know you have to resend it in again regardless. I remember them telling us that at our interview day

yeah it was but i know you have to resend it in again regardless. I remember them telling us that at our interview day
Ahh thank you. I must have missed that part. More things to pay for.. haha.

I got an ii Wednesday 3/11 and interviewed two days later 3/13. Hang in there!

I got an ii Wednesday 3/11 and interviewed two days later 3/13. Hang in there!

nice!!! that gives hope. I gave my secondary on march 1st, I thought I might be too late for an interview invite. I guess there is still hope.