Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Currently wait listed and since this is my number 1 want to write a letter of intent. Any advice?
Just make sure you make it clear why they're your first choice and touch on any developments that might make you stand out more.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students comment on where people live at for off campus Apartments? Need a one bedroom for my wife and I! Thank you!

where on earth did you even hear that? lol. I feel like the only people who would know that are MWU staff, and I doubt they're running around advertising that.
Forums from the previous years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on where people live at for off campus Apartments? Need a one bedroom for my wife and I! Thank you!

Are you in the fbook group? Some current students have discussed a few of the nearby apartment complexes on there :)

I am not but I will certainly check it out! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Really though as far as I've heard, the committee doesn't even meet for the waitlist. It becomes someone's job to look at the waitlist and pick.
I don't think that this is true. If you're on campus, you can catch the committee members sitting in the glass room in the library around this time of the year. It's usually obvious what they're doing in there

It's like anything else...take it with a grain of salt. People post ALL kinds of things on here that aren't remotely true.

I don't think that this is true. If you're on campus, you can catch the committee members sitting in the glass room in the library around this time of the year. It's usually obvious what they're doing in there

Haha stay on your horses.. I didn't say I was sure that's what happened. Just heard through the grape vine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Haha stay on your horses.. I didn't say I was sure that's what happened. Just heard through the grape vine.
I remember that glass room...I'd like to be on the other side of the fishbowl this time next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
One year ago today the admissions committee called a handful of people on the waitlist to offer them a spot. So just hang tight and keep sending those update letters!

I've already unmounted! It's too late for me now. Go on without me... They would have wanted it this way!

I've already unmounted! It's too late for me now. Go on without me... They would have wanted it this way!
Hahah it's more like you've already galloped away into the sunset, and we WL applicants here are still
Waiting ;)

Hahah it's more like you've already galloped away into the sunset, and we WL applicants here are still
Waiting ;)
Keep your head up! I know how you feel. I was waitlisted at the two schools that I interviewed at and was later accepted to both. But I had no acceptances at this time during my application season

Accepted off the waitlist!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted off the waitlist!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations, welcome to the club!! And for the cherry on top: an email from Dean Nichols said that we get a "high quality stethoscope" when we start!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone. This was 2 years in the making and it is awesome to finally end the struggle

Congratulations, welcome to the club!! And for the cherry on top: an email from Dean Nichols said that we get a "high quality stethoscope" when we start!

That email made me embarrassingly excited, let's be honest.

I might have let out a small squeak in excitement...

I'm also taking "high quality stethoscope" with a grain of salt :laugh:

I thought the same thing, but then I looked up the Madachy Foundation and it looks like they specifically gift Littmann Cardiology IIIs.

Stats? And what did you do differently?
2 cycles ago from this new one that just opened, I applied late but I was at 24 MCAT 3.8 GPA
this past cycle, I applied late again but I was at 27 MCAT 3.8 GPA. The MCAT score is still low but for me it's an improvement.
Also, the first time I applied I was a junior so I really didn't have much going on as far as degrees besides an Associate's in Science.
This time around I have my BS Biology/Minor Chem, Certificate in Massage Therapy, and Certificate in Bio-analysis and Biotechnology. I also made sure to stay in touch with the school. Before I got a late interview (March), I send them an update letter. After the interview and I found I got waitlisted, I sent them an LOI, update letter, and additional letter of rec. Also, I checked in every 2-3 weeks to let them know I still want in. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Minus the $1000 non-loan purchases we need to make but oh well I'm not too shocked

Yeah my brain is trying to forget that part. But yeah, I guess that's basically what I expected haha.

I thought the same thing, but then I looked up the Madachy Foundation and it looks like they specifically gift Littmann Cardiology IIIs.
The stethoscopes are awesome. I've used lots of crappy ones and the Littmann is immensely better.

The stethoscopes are awesome. I've used lots of crappy ones and the Littmann is immensely better.

Thats what I use in clinic. They're fantastic. My parents have both had theirs for 10+ years, and you can easily replace individual components as needed. Best on the market, hands down. (I really wouldn't mind a new one...seeing as mine has blood, sweat, tears and god knows what else on it...)

2 cycles ago from this new one that just opened, I applied late but I was at 24 MCAT 3.8 GPA
this past cycle, I applied late again but I was at 27 MCAT 3.8 GPA. The MCAT score is still low but for me it's an improvement.
Also, the first time I applied I was a junior so I really didn't have much going on as far as degrees besides an Associate's in Science.
This time around I have my BS Biology/Minor Chem, Certificate in Massage Therapy, and Certificate in Bio-analysis and Biotechnology. I also made sure to stay in touch with the school. Before I got a late interview (March), I send them an update letter. After the interview and I found I got waitlisted, I sent them an LOI, update letter, and additional letter of rec. Also, I checked in every 2-3 weeks to let them know I still want in. Hopefully that helps.

Checked in how? Just asked what the status of your application is?

Checked in how? Just asked what the status of your application is?

Nope I never asked about the status of my application. Checked in more like, sending them update every 2-3 weeks. Example, one week I will send the adviser my LOI, the next time I sent an update, then the next couple ones, I asked if they have received anything from my letter writers or to notify them saying so-and-so said that they have sent the letter of rec. I stayed in touch with the adviser I picked on the list of counselors on the website. That way, there was history and conversation and not just random e-mailing.

is the character limit to the secondary questions including spaces??

is the character limit to the secondary questions including spaces??
I think the best way to figure out is to start typing and look at the character count. The application is all new so they may have changed the rules or the way you do things.

I think the best way to figure out is to start typing and look at the character count. The application is all new so they may have changed the rules or the way you do things.
do you remember what it was when you did it? they usually don't change the prompts

do you remember what it was when you did it? they usually don't change the prompts
No sorry. Check the instructions packet also. Im sure you can find info there too.

Thanks everyone. This was 2 years in the making and it is awesome to finally end the struggle

A little late to party, but Congratulations!!! I know this was your top choice so I'm so happy you got in. Make sure you join the fb page for our class now! :)

A little late to party, but Congratulations!!! I know this was your top choice so I'm so happy you got in. Make sure you join the fb page for our class now! :)
Lol never too late to party. Thanks! And i already joined :)