Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a soon to be 4th year (1.5 weeks left of 3rd year, starting to study for step 2...) willing to answer any questions people may have about the school to the best of my ability.
Hey I wanted to get some input about the high tuition. I also got accepted to another school that is $20K less per year (KCUMB) but I like the fit of CCOM better. While there are a bunch of factors involved, how are you able to justify the cost?

As a side note, is it true that CCOM is planning to record lectures next year? Or are they sticking to the note packets?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I wanted to get some input about the high tuition. I also got accepted to another school that is $20K less per year (KCUMB) but I like the fit of CCOM better. While there are a bunch of factors involved, how are you able to justify the cost?

As a side note, is it true that CCOM is planning to record lectures next year? Or are they sticking to the note packets?

The tuition is by far my biggest gripe with this school. I thought the majority of 1st and 2nd year classes prepared us extremely well for boards and 3rd year, but I'm still not certain it was necessarily worth the cost. I was too naive while applying to schools and didn't factor in cost too much as I just assumed doctors would always make enough money to pay off any loans (which is still the case, obviously just more difficult). Overall I think having a multitude of rotations and available residencies in the Chicagoland area are of extremely high value and make the tuition at least mildly understandable, but it has been brought to the attention of our dean multiple times that we are unhappy with the cost (and increase of tuition) each year. I highly doubt this will change much due to the relatively poor action we've seen so far. We are still receiving about a 5% increase in tuition each year, which is substantial. It is an excellent school with a "family" feel to it which is very comforting, but obviously that is one of many factors to consider when choosing a school.

I'm not sure about the recordings of all lectures as I haven't had formal lectures 5 days a week since last year, but I know it was supposed to be in the works (a current 1st or 2nd year would likely have better info on this if they are on these boards). FWIW, I really felt most of the note packets were very helpful and provided the vast majority of information for exams and boards. I was one of the non-class-goers for most of 2nd year and did fine with just the note packets. As long as you give back, most people who attend lectures are usually willing to provide information about lecture material if it's not a just a one way street. There are plenty of small groups who would rotate people going to class in order to get any extra material if necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
So.. I just asked about the waitlist process.. the admissions representative said that they meet about once a month now...

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition is by far my biggest gripe with this school. I thought the majority of 1st and 2nd year classes prepared us extremely well for boards and 3rd year, but I'm still not certain it was necessarily worth the cost. I was too naive while applying to schools and didn't factor in cost too much as I just assumed doctors would always make enough money to pay off any loans (which is still the case, obviously just more difficult). Overall I think having a multitude of rotations and available residencies in the Chicagoland area are of extremely high value and make the tuition at least mildly understandable, but it has been brought to the attention of our dean multiple times that we are unhappy with the cost (and increase of tuition) each year. I highly doubt this will change much due to the relatively poor action we've seen so far. We are still receiving about a 5% increase in tuition each year, which is substantial. It is an excellent school with a "family" feel to it which is very comforting, but obviously that is one of many factors to consider when choosing a school.

I'm not sure about the recordings of all lectures as I haven't had formal lectures 5 days a week since last year, but I know it was supposed to be in the works (a current 1st or 2nd year would likely have better info on this if they are on these boards). FWIW, I really felt most of the note packets were very helpful and provided the vast majority of information for exams and boards. I was one of the non-class-goers for most of 2nd year and did fine with just the note packets. As long as you give back, most people who attend lectures are usually willing to provide information about lecture material if it's not a just a one way street. There are plenty of small groups who would rotate people going to class in order to get any extra material if necessary.

Hi there. Thanks for your advice. I'm an incoming student (dreading tuition, but I have ties to this area/live here). Question for you: do people mainly study off note packets (which I understand are printed for you for a cost) or also the Power Points? Does anyone print off those? I'm kind of old (school) and like to have printed notes. Just curious if anyone does that or if you can really study exclusively off the note packets?

I was taken off the waitlist late last week but will be declining my seat.

I was pulled off the list yesterday, so I would think there should still be continued movement :)

Reactions: 1 users
People will be happy. Have you decided where you'll be going?

I've decided to attend CUSOM, my interview at the school really sold me. CCOM is a great school with an amazing reputation, and I may have chosen to attend if I was accepted after my interview. But now that I have decided on CUSOM, it's hard for me to change my mind.

My phone goes off for emails and work calls constantly and every time it does I have to try REALLY hard to not yell at the person on the other end for NOT being CCOM Admissions lol. Doesn't help that I work in medicine...

Congrats! Care to shed some insight as to what you did while you were waitlisted that helped pull you off?
Well, after I was put on the list, I sent a letter of interest + updates...then about a week ago, I sent an email about still being interested. Not sure if this helped, but I did include, basically, that I was accepted at another program and would choose Midwestern over it (which is what I did today!!!). That's about it. I wish you the best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've decided to attend CUSOM, my interview at the school really sold me. CCOM is a great school with an amazing reputation, and I may have chosen to attend if I was accepted after my interview. But now that I have decided on CUSOM, it's hard for me to change my mind.
Follow your heart! If you don't, you'll be more miserable thinking you went to the wrong school. :)

Well, after I was put on the list, I sent a letter of interest + updates...then about a week ago, I sent an email about still being interested. Not sure if this helped, but I did include, basically, that I was accepted at another program and would choose Midwestern over it (which is what I did today!!!). That's about it. I wish you the best of luck!!
Thanks! Did you mention the name of the other school or did you simply say another school?

Hi there. Thanks for your advice. I'm an incoming student (dreading tuition, but I have ties to this area/live here). Question for you: do people mainly study off note packets (which I understand are printed for you for a cost) or also the Power Points? Does anyone print off those? I'm kind of old (school) and like to have printed notes. Just curious if anyone does that or if you can really study exclusively off the note packets?

The note packets are all (or at least almost all?) in pdf format online so you could print them off, but the bookstore has them pre-bound for a fairly reasonable price. From what I know, the vast majority of people used the notes in either the packet or pdf form (most using the packets I believe). It really just depends on your style. I still have all my annotated note packets in my room and have used them on a couple of occasions.

You can study for the tests exclusively with note packets if they are available and some lecture material additions. They change lectures every year with updated information and structure based on the previous year(s) input. For us, our clinical class did not have a note packet but had a ton of powerpoints, but this may have changed. As for board stuff, you will likely need to buy other materials to study from other than just the note packets.

This was really helpful. If any other current students could shed some light as to their views on the tuition and whether you've felt it's justified with what you're getting, please share as well.

This was really helpful. If any other current students could shed some light as to their views on the tuition and whether you've felt it's justified with what you're getting, please share as well.
Not a current student, but during my interview we went to lunch with an alumn/interviewer, and once we sat down to eat he started with something like "ok now you guys can ask me anything because there aren't any cameras or anything here" and when he was asked what the worst thing about midwestern was he just went on and on about how much of a ripoff it was. On the other hand though, I befriended a current student who says the facilities are very nice, and that's what you're paying for (the anatomy lab is so much better than UICs, I can vouch for that). IMHO medical school is expensive anywhere, DO or MD, and the differences aren't that great in the long run. But then again I haven't been faced with any of it, so who am I?

Last edited:
Not a current student, but during my interview we went to lunch with an alumn/interviewer, and once we sat down to eat he started with something like "ok now you guys can ask me anything because there aren't any cameras or anything here" and when he was asked what the worst thing about midwestern was he just went on and on about how much of a ripoff it was. On the other hand though, I befriended a current student who says the facilities are very nice, and that's what you're paying for (the anatomy lab is so much better than UICs, I can vouch for that). IMHO medical school is expensive anywhere, DO or MD, and the differences aren't that great in the long run. But then again I haven't been faced with any of it, so who am I?
I think you are paying for rotations. CCOM has probably the best site out of any DO school and better than many MD schools. From what I heard, that's the reason for the tuition being astronomical.

I also disagree, the price between schools varies dramatically. Look at Ohio or Michigan OS tuition vs CCOM vs Lecom.

I think you are paying for rotations. CCOM has probably the best site out of any DO school and better than many MD schools. From what I heard, that's the reason for the tuition being astronomical.

I also disagree, the price between schools varies dramatically. Look at Ohio or Michigan OS tuition vs CCOM vs Lecom.
Yep - facilities in general. He mentioned rotation sites being nice as well, but they're shared with other medical schools in Illinois, UIC being one of them, so I can't see that entirely explaining the tuition as UICs is like half of CCOMs.

Yep - facilities in general. He mentioned rotation sites being nice as well, but they're shared with other medical schools in Illinois, UIC being one of them, so I can't see that entirely explaining the tuition as UICs is like half of CCOMs.
CCOM rotates at Stroger, Masonic, Rush, Lutheran, ect. Rotation spots aren't cheap. Think about it this way, UIC students can rotate at Rush and Rush students can rotate at UIC. However, CCOM doesn't have a hospital, so they can't barter spots. Thus, they must pay to rotate. That's my understanding.

Even though CCOM had very nice new building, imo I would love for the library to be expanded. There are new programs every year and it makes it hard around finals.

CCOM rotates at Stroger, Masonic, Rush, Lutheran, ect. Rotation spots aren't cheap. Think about it this way, UIC students can rotate at Rush and Rush students can rotate at UIC. However, CCOM doesn't have a hospital, so they can't barter spots. Thus, they must pay to rotate. That's my understanding.

Even though CCOM had very nice new building, imo I would love for the library to be expanded. There are new programs every year and it makes it hard around finals.
Could you explain how health insurance works then? Are you with Aetna?

In addition to what Dr.TurkandJD said about CCOM not having its own hospital like UIC does, UIC is also a public school, which means public funding --> cheaper tuition especially for in-state students.

Could you explain how health insurance works then? Are you with Aetna?

Insurance is a fee that is charged to your account. If you can prove that you have your own insurance (Medicaid, your parents, private), they take off that fee. If you fail to submit paperwork, you are automatically enrolled in Aetna.

My phone goes off for emails and work calls constantly and every time it does I have to try REALLY hard to not yell at the person on the other end for NOT being CCOM Admissions lol. Doesn't help that I work in medicine...

what particularly do you do in the healthcare field? RN?

what particularly do you do in the healthcare field? RN?

I work as a medical assistant and phlebotomist. I'm also a consultant. I work with medical practices to clean up their practices. I.e. I address workflow issues, help them save cost, coordinate implementation of Electronic Health Records. EHR is the brunt of what I do now, there's such a huge need in the industry.

I work as a medical assistant and phlebotomist. I'm also a consultant. I work with medical practices to clean up their practices. I.e. I address workflow issues, help them save cost, coordinate implementation of Electronic Health Records. EHR is the brunt of what I do now, there's such a huge need in the industry.
Very interesting mix. So why ultimately medschool?

That's actually pretty true imo. We have a ton of rotations at a ton of different sites. There is a downside to that being that you won't have a central hub of core rotations so things vary pretty vastly but that could be good if you are very interested in a certain field (AKA looking for a easier/harder rotation if you want one). Having so many rotations makes it a little more difficult to sift through the rotations and find one you really like, but that's the price you pay I guess.

Very interesting mix. So why ultimately medschool?

I took a break from school altogether. Once I got back into it, being a physician was always the goal. I just cold called doctors, found one that let me work for him. Learned everything I could really quickly, and became a jack of all trades for medical practices.

I took a break from school altogether. Once I got back into it, being a physician was always the goal. I just cold called doctors, found one that let me work for him. Learned everything I could really quickly, and became a jack of all trades for medical practices.
Very interesting!

Very interesting!
Has it's moments lol. It's been a great learning experience and I love working with patients, but...I'm more than ready to move on to the next part. (i.e...get me off this wait list LOL)

Has it's moments lol. It's been a great learning experience and I love working with patients, but...I'm more than ready to move on to the next part. (i.e...get me off this wait list LOL)

Is this the only wait list you're waiting on? Jw

I am a soon to be 4th year (1.5 weeks left of 3rd year, starting to study for step 2...) willing to answer any questions people may have about the school to the best of my ability.

Hi, I'll be starting as a 1st year in August. I've been getting email updates from the school regarding orientation week. What does that week entail?

I'm also curious to know if the simulation center is up and running yet... do you know?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, another random question... I'm in desperate need of a new computer and I've been holding off on buying one until I moved to Chicago... does it matter if I get a mac or pc? When I interviewed at different med schools, I heard people talking about applications/programs you could run to learn anatomy, etc. Wasn't sure if a mac would be better for that or if it doesn't really matter. Do a lot of students bring their laptops to class?

So I can actually help with that some. I just finished one of the Masters programs that preps for first year of medical school, and I sat on the technology selection committee which chose the computer technology package for the incoming medschool/PA/Pharmacy/Public Health programs. CCOM does not, as of now, have a technology package included in their tuition. So. It's up to you. We reviewed several different options for the medical school and the vote for Mac was pretty much unanimous. There are PLENTY of applications for learning anatomy.

I really like the "Essential Anatomy" application. It's on the App store for apple. It's functional on the computer, iPhone and iPad. It's great. The only downside is that, like Netter's, certain parts of the anatomy are abnormally exaggerated. It's overall a great resource, especially for orienting yourself three dimensionally before lab.

I used it each time before lab, because there is a "hide" feature that lets you pull things out as you go. That way you can quiz yourself and work through muscles layer by layer. It also helps with tracking blood supply, which can be a little confusing until you get the hang of it.

As far as programs for notes go. Many of these programs are available on Mac and PC platforms. I used One Note and Notability extensively. The class often used Google Drive to coordinate powerpoints and things like that. Notability has a nice feature where multiple people can take notes on the same powerpoint. This worked very well when it came to note pool.

Mostly, I found the Mac to be a better machine for the uses of most students, and the hardware will last you a full four years with minimal problems. IF you purchase a new machine, and you go Mac, I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH: BUY APPLE CARE. It is expensive, and it is absolutely worth every penny. I also suggest you get a keyboard cover. It sounds stupid but almost every grad student I know has tried to kill their computer with a cup of coffee. The keyboard covers are like 2.00 and they'll save your machine. If you'd like more information about software and technology tips for a medical science/medical school curriculum, feel free to PM me.

OH!!!! See if you can get a license for the following two programs: prosector and dissector. They're a god send. Dissector has incredible directions that you can review before you go into anatomy lab, and prosector is a great way to review. The bold terms and questions are pretty much pulled out of the Board Review Series.

Also. Use the Michigan University Medical School anatomy page (just punch that into google) there are fantastic quiz sets and histology slides.

anywho. best of luck.
Sorry, another random question... I'm in desperate need of a new computer and I've been holding off on buying one until I moved to Chicago... does it matter if I get a mac or pc? When I interviewed at different med schools, I heard people talking about applications/programs you could run to learn anatomy, etc. Wasn't sure if a mac would be better for that or if it doesn't really matter. Do a lot of students bring their laptops to class?

Additionally,

if you're looking at laptops I would tell you to check out the 13 inch macbook pro with retina. Go ahead and max the RAM out. You can always get an external drive if you need more hard drive space, and honestly most of the material you use will be text files so it's not going to be that large. They're absolutely fantastic machines. I've been pretty rough on mine for the last year. Haven't had a single problem with it and the Retina display is hands-down the best on the market. It's nice for those netlfix breaks. The resolution is incredible. The Airs are cool...I just don't like them as much. they're good for browsing around on the internet and really light word processing stuff, but I wasn't happy with mine as a work horse for school.

Hi, I'll be starting as a 1st year in August. I've been getting email updates from the school regarding orientation week. What does that week entail?

I'm also curious to know if the simulation center is up and running yet... do you know?

Thanks for your help!

Orientation is pretty boring and not generally completely useful in terms of actual medical/knowledge prep, but you do get a chance to meet all of you new classmates. The whole week was mandatory for us and I'm assuming it still is as there are a good chunk of things you will learn that will help you, especially throughout the first 2 years. The best part of 1st year is "the harbor" which is the 1st month where you don't take quite so many classes (we had like 3 instead of the normal 5-6 classes or something like that) just to get yourself familiar with everything. GO OUT AND DO STUFF WITH PEOPLE DURING THIS TIME!!! Obviously don't forget to study, but for the most part the things you learn during the harbor time (we had histology and biochem with some other classes possibly, but I think I remember those being the big ones at the time) are probably the lowest yield information on the board tests you take after 2nd and 3rd year. Enjoy that month and just take that time to get yourself adjusted to how you are going to study/utilize notes and make sure you meet people (a lot of people really get along with their anatomy/biochem groups too as you see them all the time for the first few months of school).

I'm not sure about a sim lab at all tbh, unless they mean our OSCE center (which they might) The new OSCE center is up and running (our old one wasn't bad, but this one looks nicer and has bigger windows? lol) and is used to prep you for your level 2 PE (physical exam). You slowly ramp up throughout the first 2.5 years the number of standardized patients (SPs) you see from like 1-2 during first year to 8 your third year which prepares you insanely well for the level 2 PE. I talked with multiple students from different schools at my PE and very few of them had more than 4 SPs seen at one time (the actual PE is 12). I actually just had a few SP encounters in the new area and it looks pretty nice. But unfortunately, I don't know anything about a simulation lab for more in depth procedures (i.e. cardiac resuscitation, managing burns/seizures, etc.), although it is something our school has talked about for a while from what I know. I do think having a simulation lab in that sense is one of the least necessary things for preparing you for your clinical years, in my opinion, as there is a breadth of other knowledge that is way more necessary (i.e. board material, basic procedures learned in 2nd/3rd year labs) so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And btw, don't worry at all about any major board stuff too early (AKA during first year). It's not worth the stress and you won't retain anything really worthwhile. The only thing you may consider doing (I kinda wished I did do this, but didn't do it) is VERY slowly read through First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 sections that correlate with your class material (there aren't too many pages that cover first year material, but there are some). This is COMPLETELY optional, but something I do wish I did to help me stay more on track for Step 1.

I used a PC as I just don't like Macs too much due to unfamiliarity. You can easily use either, but if you know of some apps that may be useful on a Mac, it would probably be worthwhile getting one of those. As far as using computers in class, it really just depends on how you like to study/take notes. I preferred using paper/note packets whereas other students didn't and used their computers. A lot of students bring their laptops and use them, it just completely depends on their study habits. As for anatomy programs, I used a book the majority of the time (Netter's: Amazon product is the one we used, but there is a newer edition out it looks like. I hate this book too much to also give you the link to the other one, plus I believe you get one at school for joining SOMA. You will learn more on that during orientation I believe), which you will learn to hate, but I found it extremely helpful. Personally, I thought the actual lab was the best way to really learn anatomy and I can still picture a lot of the muscles/bones/vessels in my head specifically from my cadaver. You will learn more about good anatomy apps as you get closer to starting, don't worry about it too much yet. Our anatomy faculty are extraordinary and won't let you slip through the cracks if you need help.

Please make sure you don't start studying stuff or looking at anything school related right now. You will get plenty of that in a few months. Relax and enjoy your summer, orientation, and the harbor; it's a long road ahead.

Any one know if we get drug tested at any time before or during school? asking for a friend....

Any one know if we get drug tested at any time before or during school? asking for a friend....

lol da fuq is this. As far as I can tell as a fellow incoming student, no, there is no drug test before school. We will have to get fingerprinted for a background check in the coming months. However, we have committed to the Midwestern University Drug Free Workplace and Substance Abuse Policy by accepting our offer at CCOM, so I would hope that "your friend" keeps that in mind.

Reactions: 2 users
lol da fuq is this. As far as I can tell as a fellow incoming student, no, there is no drug test before school. We will have to get fingerprinted for a background check in the coming months. However, we have committed to the Midwestern University Drug Free Workplace and Substance Abuse Policy by accepting our offer at CCOM, so I would hope that "your friend" keeps that in mind.
I don't know Midwestern's policy, but I thought most schools required a drug test prior to beginning rotations in 3rd year.
*face palm*

anyone else had any movement from the alternate list?
I was accepted on June 5th, so there has definitely been some movement on the alternate list. My advice is to stay active while waiting. I called the office once, sent in more letters of recommendation, and wrote a letter of intent (CCOM was my first choice school). Good luck to you and other alternate candidates!

I was accepted on June 5th, so there has definitely been some movement on the alternate list. My advice is to stay active while waiting. I called the office once, sent in more letters of recommendation, and wrote a letter of intent (CCOM was my first choice school). Good luck to you and other alternate candidates!
Do you mind sharing your MCAT/GPA?

Additionally,

if you're looking at laptops I would tell you to check out the 13 inch macbook pro with retina. Go ahead and max the RAM out. You can always get an external drive if you need more hard drive space, and honestly most of the material you use will be text files so it's not going to be that large. They're absolutely fantastic machines. I've been pretty rough on mine for the last year. Haven't had a single problem with it and the Retina display is hands-down the best on the market. It's nice for those netlfix breaks. The resolution is incredible. The Airs are cool...I just don't like them as much. they're good for browsing around on the internet and really light word processing stuff, but I wasn't happy with mine as a work horse for school.

Thank you so much! All the info you posted is incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it! I'm definitely going to check out those different programs and comps. Thanks again!

Orientation is pretty boring and not generally completely useful in terms of actual medical/knowledge prep, but you do get a chance to meet all of you new classmates. The whole week was mandatory for us and I'm assuming it still is as there are a good chunk of things you will learn that will help you, especially throughout the first 2 years. The best part of 1st year is "the harbor" which is the 1st month where you don't take quite so many classes (we had like 3 instead of the normal 5-6 classes or something like that) just to get yourself familiar with everything.... Please make sure you don't start studying stuff or looking at anything school related right now. You will get plenty of that in a few months. Relax and enjoy your summer, orientation, and the harbor; it's a long road ahead.

I'm really glad to hear about "the harbor" and taking less classes during that period of time. Thanks for the info on OSCE. Some of the schools I interviewed at made a big deal about working with simulation machines/robots during the first two years, but I wasn't sure how much that really mattered. Also, thanks for the advice about relaxing and not studying right now. I feel myself getting nervous, like I should be doing something right now or preparing in some way. That's a good reminder for me.

I'm really glad to hear about "the harbor" and taking less classes during that period of time. Thanks for the info on OSCE. Some of the schools I interviewed at made a big deal about working with simulation machines/robots during the first two years, but I wasn't sure how much that really mattered. Also, thanks for the advice about relaxing and not studying right now. I feel myself getting nervous, like I should be doing something right now or preparing in some way. That's a good reminder for me.

Not a problem. I do think simulators/robots are a decent tool which CCOM unfortunately lacks. I don't think they are absolutely necessary, but you will have times where you may have missed out on how to run a code or deal with a trauma patient that other students may have seen.

You will be studying your ass off soon, no need to start now lol. Plenty of time during the harbor to get acquainted with school and start learning.

As for alternate list movement, it will usually move all the way through the 1st 2 weeks of class. If someone leaves, they will 100% open up that spot. We had people join through the first 2 weeks of class (believe it was 2, but don't quote me).