Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why do the secondary questions have to be so overlapping? =_____= ugh its like's theyre sorta asking for the same thing

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I'm a second year at CCOM. Let me know if you have any questions about the curriculum or the school. I'd be glad to answer any questions! Good luck all

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I'm a second year at CCOM. Let me know if you have any questions about the curriculum or the school. I'd be glad to answer any questions! Good luck all

Hi there! I'm interviewing at CCOM in mid-Sept and had a question about the interview process!!!

The website says "they join several other interviewees to meet with members of a three-person interview panel, which is selected from a volunteer group of basic scientists, current students, administrators, and clinicians. Team members question applicants about their academic, personal, and health care preparedness for medical school..."

Does this mean its a group interview, where there are multiple interviewees with the 3 person panel? Or is each interviewee separately interviewed by the panel?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I'm interviewing at CCOM in mid-Sept and had a question about the interview process!!!

The website says "they join several other interviewees to meet with members of a three-person interview panel, which is selected from a volunteer group of basic scientists, current students, administrators, and clinicians. Team members question applicants about their academic, personal, and health care preparedness for medical school..."

Does this mean its a group interview, where there are multiple interviewees with the 3 person panel? Or is each interviewee separately interviewed by the panel?

Thanks!
No. Each student is interviewed separate with a 3-person panel. My interview had a professor, a doctor, and a 4th year student conducting it

Question about my chances here. 31 MCAT (12/6/13), 3.65 cgpa according to AACOMAS, 3.7 sGPA. Shadowing, volunteering, plenty of other sport related EC's. I already sent in my secondary. Thank you for your responses!

Question about my chances here. 31 MCAT (12/6/13), 3.65 cgpa according to AACOMAS, 3.7 sGPA. Shadowing, volunteering, plenty of other sport related EC's. I already sent in my secondary. Thank you for your responses!
Looks solid to me. Our class average was about 3.65 GPA/29 MCAT, so you're right there. Good luck!

no one answered this before, but ill ask again, does the school extend II via email, mail, or phone?

I was wondering.. what exactly made you choose to attend CCOM? Every single other school I've applied to, I know someone who's going there, so I've been able to hear about what makes the school so great, etc, but I don't know anyone attending CCOM. So if you don't mind, I would love to hear what makes the school so special in your opinion! Thanks :)

I'm very excited about this school! Submitted the secondary this morning, so let's hope for an II. :)

It seems like the AZCOM and CCOM secondary questions are identical. I will change them up a tad so that they may reflect each of the school's strengths but I am left wondering if AZCOM and CCOM talk to each other and will they see that my essays are nearly the same. Has anyone done this with their secondaries fro AZCOM and CCOM?

It seems like the AZCOM and CCOM secondary questions are identical. I will change them up a tad so that they may reflect each of the school's strengths but I am left wondering if AZCOM and CCOM talk to each other and will they see that my essays are nearly the same. Has anyone done this with their secondaries fro AZCOM and CCOM?
no lol just copy paste and change around the slight things needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering.. what exactly made you choose to attend CCOM? Every single other school I've applied to, I know someone who's going there, so I've been able to hear about what makes the school so great, etc, but I don't know anyone attending CCOM. So if you don't mind, I would love to hear what makes the school so special in your opinion! Thanks :)
Sure. I chose CCOM because I have a lot of friends who went to Midwestern for medicine and pharmacy. I had heard only good things about the school from these friends.

The anatomy lab is awesome. It's newly renovated and located on the 5th floor so the formaldehyde smell is handled a bit better. Each station has a computer for easy access to electronic books and atlases. The faculty are very willing to go above and beyond to help you if you need it. There is also a new building under construction that will have an ER simulation room. On top of that, the school is well known for having abundant rotation options. I have no complaints

Reactions: 1 users
How detrimental is it to have a LOR from a MD instead of a DO? Would really like to interview here! Recently submitted my secondary.

How detrimental is it to have a LOR from a MD instead of a DO? Would really like to interview here! Recently submitted my secondary.
It's not. Some of my friends had an MD letter and received acceptances, but a few were asked if they had shadowed a DO in the interview. Have you?

Sure. I chose CCOM because I have a lot of friends who went to Midwestern for medicine and pharmacy. I had heard only good things about the school from these friends.

The anatomy lab is awesome. It's newly renovated and located on the 5th floor so the formaldehyde smell is handled a bit better. Each station has a computer for easy access to electronic books and atlases. The faculty are very willing to go above and beyond to help you if you need it. There is also a new building under construction that will have an ER simulation room. On top of that, the school is well known for having abundant rotation options. I have no complaints
Seems like CCOM is on top of technology. Do they video lectures or do you always have to go to them in person? I actually like going to lectures, but if I miss something or want to refresh, I'd like to be able to view the lecture, or part of it, again later.

Seems like CCOM is on top of technology. Do they video lectures or do you always have to go to them in person? I actually like going to lectures, but if I miss something or want to refresh, I'd like to be able to view the lecture, or part of it, again later.
Unfortunately not. Several of the anatomy professors will put recorded lectures up but that's it so far. That's a newer thing that they began doing to see how it works

II!
aacomas verified 8/13
secondary invite 8/20
secondary submitted 8/23
interview invite 9/10

there are currently 2 available dates for interview so far but I cannot attend them so plan on waiting til new dates become available.
I'm hoping they'll add more dates soon...

II!
aacomas verified 8/13
secondary invite 8/20
secondary submitted 8/23
interview invite 9/10

there are currently 2 available dates for interview so far but I cannot attend them so plan on waiting til new dates become available.
I'm hoping they'll add more dates soon...

Congrats! It has been wayyyy to quiet on this thread! hoping I get some good news as well. Would you mind saying what your stats are? Thanks!

Last edited:
Argh... so frustrated....this is my number one choice school and they still haven't received my Interfolio physician letter!!! I have sent it three times now! What is going on??

been waiting almost a month to hear something...is this a bad sign?

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to be interviewing here on the 23rd! Is anyone else interviewing on that date? I'm flying from out west so I would love to hear from someone who will be there interviewing too:)

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to be interviewing here on the 23rd! Is anyone else interviewing on that date? I'm flying from out west so I would love to hear from someone who will be there interviewing too:)

congrats! I'll be interviewing on 27th. you coming from west coast?

Don't worry guys! A month means nothing. It's not unusual to go several months without hearing anything. They receive over 7,000 applicants, which affects the turn around time

Reactions: 1 users
I'm interviewing on the 23rd as well! I'll be coming from out of town but driving in. I'm so excited!

I am interviewing here on the 22nd of sept! I'm flying into chicago from nyc and wondering about the best way to get to downers grove. Taxi? Seems to be $40 flat rate each way though (ouch)!

I am interviewing here on the 22nd of sept! I'm flying into chicago from nyc and wondering about the best way to get to downers grove. Taxi? Seems to be $40 flat rate each way though (ouch)!
Rent a car?

Withdrew from my interview here. Good luck to the rest of you!

This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find where I can log into the website to check my status....Anybody ?!

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so would you want to just give us a brief overview of how the day goes?

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so would you want to just give us a brief overview of how the day goes?

I was there last Friday! The day was fairly relaxed, the admissions staff were all very nice and made us comfortable. The morning takes place in the library. We sat inside a room around a big table and had some informational sessions, most of which recapped information that was given to us on handouts in a folder as well. Maybe 30 minutes later, interviews started. There were 12 of us being interviewed on Friday, and three rooms of interviewers in study rooms at the back of the library. There were four time slots of interviews, each 30 minutes, and we all waited in the meeting room in the library before/after our interview slot. My interview was with a DO, PhD, and fourth year medical student. Each interview room had some similar combination. While waiting, we were allowed to get up and take a look around, but most of the people in my group just stayed in the room and chatted with one another. There were also refreshments/snacks available to us at the front of the library.

The interview itself was fine. It was a little more stressful than some of the other interviews I've been on, but it's hard to say whether or not that's simply because this one was so important to me :p. I wasn't asked any questions that really surprised me; most were based directly from the resume I submitted with my secondary. The interviews are semi-blind, so interviewers only have access to your secondary app and resume, not your AACOMAS or any information about your grades/MCAT score.

After all the interviews were finished, we had a very brief session about financial aid. Then second year medical students arrived to take us on a tour of the campus which culminated in lunch (on the house :)). The second year students were all very eager to answer our questions and share their experiences with us. After lunch, people just excused themselves and left.

Hoping to hear back in the next few weeks :) Wondering when the committee will be convening...

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much for the info, @ananasmed! :) If you don't mind sharing, how long after you submitted your secondary and were considered complete did they send you an II?

Is it safe to say I should expect a rejection from this school? I was complete in late June. =(

Does anyone know exactly what the portal change will be...I cant tell if mine changed (probably not).
Under the 'Post-Accepted' area there are two tabs 'Matriculation/Payment' and 'Acceped Student Checklist'...both are click-able but when I click there is no info just says 'We were unable to find your information.' or 'This checklist is available to accepted applicants.'

So Im assuming this is how it is before it changes and info under these tabs would show up if I actually was accepted?

Does anyone know exactly what the portal change will be...I cant tell if mine changed (probably not).
Under the 'Post-Accepted' area there are two tabs 'Matriculation/Payment' and 'Acceped Student Checklist'...both are click-able but when I click there is no info just says 'We were unable to find your information.' or 'This checklist is available to accepted applicants.'

So Im assuming this is how it is before it changes and info under these tabs would show up if I actually was accepted?

Mine looks just like that too, so I bet they haven't changed yet.

Is interview here completely open file? Does your interviewer have your application and numbers both?

Is interview here completely open file? Does your interviewer have your application and numbers both?
They will only have access to your secondary application and your resume, I believe.