Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Committee is meeting next week, decisions will be given out the following week (this is for the mid October crew)
Did you call them to get this info?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do i have a chance for an II if i were complete very late october? My stats are competitive for MD and DO, ECs are decent as well. My first MCAT was also solid, other than a 6 in VR, which i was able to get up to a 9 this time around. Just concerned about my late completion date.

Any input would be appreciated!

Do i have a chance for an II if i were complete very late october? My stats are competitive for MD and DO, ECs are decent as well. My first MCAT was also solid, other than a 6 in VR, which i was able to get up to a 9 this time around. Just concerned about my late completion date.

Any input would be appreciated!

I know that the cycle has gotten more and more competitive since the beginning of the cycle. However, the cycle runs until March 1st, and there are people that actually apply that late, believe it or not. So don't worry too much. I had a friend who applied this late and she was pretty successful at CCOM. At the end of the day, its more about your application and they will get around to it...so if your stats are pretty good and your MCAT has improved, I'm sure you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that the cycle has gotten more and more competitive since the beginning of the cycle. However, the cycle runs until March 1st, and there are people that actually apply that late, believe it or not. So don't worry too much. I had a friend who applied this late and she was pretty successful at CCOM. At the end of the day, its more about your application and they will get around to it...so if your stats are pretty good and your MCAT has improved, I'm sure you will be fine.

Thank you for your input, scribbler01!

Is there a traditional day where people have gotten updates on II?

Anyone interviewing on Dec. 12 that maybe wants to share a cab from the airport to one of the hotels close to the campus? It seems that it's going to get a bit pricey. Or does anyone who's already interviewed have a cheaper solution (if you could share whether you used the bus/train etc.)? Thanks!

UPDATED PORTAL STATUS FINALLY! II 10/22 ACCEPTED 11/14! =)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today, interviewed 11/7.

I have a question about the deposit. If I pay it now, is there anyway that I can get it back if I choose not to attend? I looked over their policy and it seems like you can only get 100$ of it back. Is that standard?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that got accepted! I'm sure this has been answered before, but for those that have received ii, how long did it take after your secondary submission to hear back from them? It seems to vary, but I'm curious! Thank you! :)

Just paid my deposit! I'm so excited! I love this school and everything about it! We need to start a Facebook group soon! =)

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! I'm sure this has been answered before, but for those that have received ii, how long did it take after your secondary submission to hear back from them? It seems to vary, but I'm curious! Thank you! :)

Complete 8/28. II 10/2. Interview 11/4.

I have a question about the deposit. If I pay it now, is there anyway that I can get it back if I choose not to attend? I looked over their policy and it seems like you can only get 100$ of it back. Is that standard?

Anyone know?

Accepted!! Interviewed 10/27. Accepted via email this morning!

Anyone know?

It sounds to me like you can get a full refund within 3 days of paying the $1000 if you change your mind. After that and up to 30 days before orientation, you can only get $100 back. Most schools are non-refundable, so this at least gives you something.

Just paid my deposit! I'm so excited! I love this school and everything about it! We need to start a Facebook group soon! =)

Congrats to you!! And to everyone who was accepted today! I was accepted last month and also paid my deposit, and am incredibly excited about CCOM! I'm so glad there are others in this thread who will for sure be attending next year.

I found this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/810269355690115
but it looks like no one has joined yet, besides current CCOM students! But I assume they made it for us :)

My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 35, OH resident.
I was complete on 9/10 and got an II on 9/25. Interviewed on 11/7, accepted on 11/14

Interviewed 10/27 Accepted 11/14
Stats: 3.7 cumulative, 3.85 science, 33 MCAT
Experience: Very minimal. I just worked as a patient transporter for a while, and I also volunteer at a behavioral clinic. So if you don't have that much clinical experience, don't worry!

Interviewed 10/27 Accepted 11/14
Stats: 3.7 cumulative, 3.85 science, 33 MCAT
Experience: Very minimal. I just worked as a patient transporter for a while, and I also volunteer at a behavioral clinic. So if you don't have that much clinical experience, don't worry!
Congrats!
When were you complete and how long did you wait for an interview, if I may ask?

Can any current MS3 or MS4 talk about quality of clinical rotations?

Okay if we can't get any info on clinical rotations lol, can current students (or anyone knowledgable on the matter) please comment on the absence of recorded lectures at this school? What percentage of your classes don't have recorded lectures? And is this changing at all for the incoming class?

Thanks

Okay if we can't get any info on clinical rotations lol, can current students (or anyone knowledgable on the matter) please comment on the absence of recorded lectures at this school? What percentage of your classes don't have recorded lectures? And is this changing at all for the incoming class?

Thanks

This thread seems really quiet, don't know why :( you may have better luck pm'ing one of the current students who posted earlier...

Thanks
Hey there. I'm an MS2, so I can't comment on the quality of rotations firsthand. I've heard that they're excellent from third and fourth year friends though. I haven't heard any complaints yet.

The only class that currently incorporates recorded lectures is anatomy and it isn't done by all the professors. This was a new thing that they were trying out for our class and we're working on pushing for it as students. The faculty are very receptive to what the students want. They frequently change the curriculum around to accommodate things that we ask for. The most recent being adding an extra week for board studying. Last year's class had asked for an additional week as well which was given. So, basically, it went from three to five weeks for us. I bet recorded lectures will be incorporated at some point, but there aren't any plans of it changing for the next incoming class

Hey guys, anyone else complete early October still waiting to here back?

It's only been about a month but it feels like forever haha

i know it definitely does! i've been complete at other schools since the beginning of august and still havent heard anything from them either so im just trying to be as patient as possible as I compulsively check all the portals all the time

Completed 10/29, 1st MCAT-27, 2nd MCAT-26 :( sGPA-3.62, cGPA-3.77
What are my chances? Haven't gotten an II yet ... is this normal? Kinda stressing out...

Completed 10/29, 1st MCAT-27, 2nd MCAT-26 :( sGPA-3.62, cGPA-3.77
What are my chances? Haven't gotten an II yet ... is this normal? Kinda stressing out...
Very normal. Unfortunately, they receive several thousand apps to sort through. So you can't expect an interview immediately because they likely haven't even seen your app yet. It may be months before they get to yours. But your stats aren't bad at all, so you have a great chance. You just have to stay patient, as hard as it seems. You can also send an update letter in a few weeks or so. I received an interview about a week after sending an update letter. It may have been coincidence, but it can't hurt

Very normal. Unfortunately, they receive several thousand apps to sort through. So you can't expect an interview immediately because they likely haven't even seen your app yet. It may be months before they get to yours. But your stats aren't bad at all, so you have a great chance. You just have to stay patient, as hard as it seems. You can also send an update letter in a few weeks or so. I received an interview about a week after sending an update letter. It may have been coincidence, but it can't hurt

If you don't mind me asking, what did you include in your update letter?

I wouldn't wait too long to send an update letter. I went from complete to II in 2 business days, so I don't think they're too bogged down. If I were you, I would send an update as soon as possible, since you've been complete for 2 weeks now. During our interview intro, the director of admissions said he responds well to letters of interest. If you don't have any additional info to put in your update letter, I would suggest researching the school/talking to current students or alumni and detailing why you're interested in MWU, specifically.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you include in your update letter?
I basically reiterated my desire to attend CCOM and showed them that I was still actively working towards improving my application. You can include any recent volunteering, new grades, or anything that you've done since completing your application.

I wouldn't wait too long to send an update letter. I went from complete to II in 2 business days, so I don't think they're too bogged down. If I were you, I would send an update as soon as possible, since you've been complete for 2 weeks now. During our interview intro, the director of admissions said he responds well to letters of interest. If you don't have any additional info to put in your update letter, I would suggest researching the school/talking to current students or alumni and detailing why you're interested in MWU, specifically.
That's very impressive. Two days is awesome, but also pretty abnormal. You must have had a very impressive application. I've done some work with the admissions department and they really are extremely bogged down. They don't look at applications in the order that they are received, so it can take weeks or months to get to some of them.

Sending an update letter can help, but I'm not sure how much bearing it'll have if they haven't looked at the app yet. Maybe it'll cause them to pull the app out and look. Who knows? There wouldn't be any negatives to sending one earlier, so I'd recommend it as well

Has anyone been kind of being spammed by this school? Not a bad thing, of course, but I'm just curious if it's been this way for everyone else also. I've received 4-5 emails and a letter, but haven't submitted my secondary yet. One about receiving my AACOMAS/the supplemental app, 2 generic "why you should go here" emails, one for an update on what I'm missing. Letter mailed was also a generic "why you should go here". Weird to me since I haven't gotten that from other schools.

hey they, send those prior to sending the secondary. then silence...

Anyone that goes to this school can give comments on how good/bad their core hospitals are?

Last edited: