Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, anyone got accepted could post how much they are asking for the matriculation down payment? Also how long it took them get back to you?

++Anyone can comment on how bad of an idea is it to post pone my interview to after the holidays?? I don't know how fast their classes fill up but flight prices r kind of high atm and I am low on cash this interview season :(

Hey! The deposit is 1000 bucks and it's only fully refundable 3 days from when you pay it. After that you only get 100 bucks back. They got back to me in like 3 weeks after my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Do i have a chance for an II if i were complete very late october? My stats are competitive for MD and DO, ECs are decent as well. My first MCAT was also solid, other than a 6 in VR, which i was able to get up to a 9 this time around. Just concerned about my late completion date.

Any input would be appreciated!
My app was complete around this time as well and I just received an II today. So don't worry! Hopefully you will hear good news soon (if you haven't already)!

Reactions: 1 user
My app was complete around this time as well and I just received an II today. So don't worry! Hopefully you will hear good news soon (if you haven't already)!
Hey would you mind sharing your stats? I was complete Oct 14. Starting to get a little panicky :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! 3.8/3.8/32 OOS. Complete 10/16. Will be interviewing on 12/9! Can not wait!!! :)

besides the $1000 deposit, is anything else due on 12/14?

I think just the matriculation agreement and payment. You can send in your transcripts, deal with the health forms, and authorize them to do background check, etc. later. but you'll be able to see all of the forms when you pay the deposit!

Good school! Any possible classmates for next year out there? Still waiting to hear back from a few other schools but so far it looks like this is where I'll be!

Hi everyone! Was complete: 10/20, II: 11/5, and interview set for 12/12!!
I was wondering if anyone had advice for interviewing? Also, about how long does the decision take? I have an interview at another school set for 1/26, and I think their decision takes a long time (at least 4-8 weeks), so I'm worried about getting an acceptance from CCOM, and then having to put down the deposit to save my seat before I hear from my other school! Any advice?

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had advice for interviewing? Also, about how long does the decision take? I have an interview at another school set for 1/26, and I think their decision takes a long time (at least 4-8 weeks), so I'm worried about getting an acceptance from CCOM, and then having to put down the deposit to save my seat before I hear from my other school! Any advice?

Thanks!
Just know your secondary essays/ resume well. Relax. Be nice to everyone. You know, the usual stuff. The day is pretty chill.

Thanks!

Lots of good info in this thread if you read back a few pages! They'll tell you at the interview to expect a decision in about a month, but it could come sooner or slightly later depending on when the committee meets. I'm not sure how long you'll have to pay your deposit after being accepted at this point in the year, but just think of it as an investment to secure your future.

Thanks!
Getting in isn't guaranteed, so worry about performing well at your interview first. Once you're in, then you can think about the potential $900 loss (you get $100 back if you withdraw 30 days before orientation). It's a small price to pay for a coveted spot at a school like CCOM (5% acceptance rate).

Reactions: 1 users
complete 8/23.....silence..... Mcat: 30, sGPA: 3.5, any input guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite! Complete Oct 10. But I have to wait until the new dates are released :( 3.8/3.8/30

Getting in isn't guaranteed, so worry about performing well at your interview first. Once you're in, then you can think about the potential $900 loss (you get $100 back if you withdraw 30 days before orientation). It's a small price to pay for a coveted spot at a school like CCOM (5% acceptance rate).

Thanks, but I wasn't insinuating that acceptance was guaranteed. I'm well aware that it's not. Anyway, looking forward to possibly attending CCOM with you!

Lots of good info in this thread if you read back a few pages! They'll tell you at the interview to expect a decision in about a month, but it could come sooner or slightly later depending on when the committee meets. I'm not sure how long you'll have to pay your deposit after being accepted at this point in the year, but just think of it as an investment to secure your future.

Sorry... I did skim though past posts but I wanted to see if anyone had a solid timeline that they were given, etc. Thanks for the information.

II on 11/5 for an interview on 12/8! Super pumped to interview here! My stats are 3.60/3.55/31 OOS. Also, I called the admissions office and they said that we will mostly likely get our decisions before they go on break for christmas, which is 12/19. If anybody else is interviewing on December 8th and wants to share a hotel room and/or cab/uber fare to Midway please let me know!!

I know that CCOM is a lot more stat - heavy in comparison to other schools, but out of curiosity, has anyone with an MCAT less than 27 gotten an ii here recently? Most people that have received an ii seem to have 30+ MCAT scores...thanks in advance for sharing!

II on 11/5 for an interview on 12/8! Super pumped to interview here! My stats are 3.60/3.55/31 OOS. Also, I called the admissions office and they said that we will mostly likely get our decisions before they go on break for christmas, which is 12/19. If anybody else is interviewing on December 8th and wants to share a hotel room and/or cab/uber fare to Midway please let me know!!

Dang, wish yours was 12/09 OOS as well and could really use a split on the cost ha. Good luck. And thanks for the update about them getting back to us before the break, that is such a relief to hear! I was very curious about this as well.

I know that CCOM is a lot more stat - heavy in comparison to other schools, but out of curiosity, has anyone with an MCAT less than 27 gotten an ii here recently? Most people that have received an ii seem to have 30+ MCAT scores...thanks in advance for sharing!

I have a sub 30 MCAT, and I received an ii 2 weeks after submitting my secondary. I have a very high GPA tho, solid ECs, and currently in an accelerated grad program. Hope this helps! Don't give up! :)

Hey does anyone know if there are outlets for your laptops in the lecture rooms? Cause some schools don't have that, which is so stupid

Does anyone have any updated information on CCOM's interviewed/accepted/enrolled rate? I did read previous posts on this thread, and the only info I found was from 2006, which is a bit outdated. Did they happen to give any stats at the interview?

Does anyone have any updated information on CCOM's interviewed/accepted/enrolled rate? I did read previous posts on this thread, and the only info I found was from 2006, which is a bit outdated. Did they happen to give any stats at the interview?
They get ~8500 applicants, interview ~600, accept ~400. I think their class size is around 200 but I'm not sure. Their total acceptance rate is around 5%. I vaguely remember asking someone about that on this thread before my interview, so I'm sure there are some stats somewhere in previous pages and possibly a source link.

Hey does anyone know if there are outlets for your laptops in the lecture rooms? Cause some schools don't have that, which is so stupid

I heard from current students that the outlets are lacking in the main lecture hall(s). However, there's a new building under construction that will contain lecture halls - which I imagine will be updated, perhaps with outlets at the seats - but I have no idea whether DO students will have class in that building.

At the interview they told us something like 7000-8000 apps, 600 interviews, 400 acceptances given out for 200 seats. So getting the interview is the biggest hurdle; you've got roughly a 2/3 chance to get in if you're interviewed, but I believe that also includes people who are accepted off the waitlist.

@SubwayMonster383 beat me to it!

Sorry for the product placement and I know this doesn't really answer your question but....get a Mac air and then you won't need an outlet. I'm still in undergrad now but I have some days where I'm in school from 8am-9pm and the battery lasts all day without charging. Seriously worth the investment, it's lightweight and has an extraordinary battery life. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users

Because the class is so large we really only have lecture in 2 or 3 different rooms. Those rooms only have the normal outlets around the periphery. Nobody really uses laptops anymore. Pretty much a tablet with onenote or notability is the way to go.

For everyone freaking out right now let me offer you a few words of advice.

1. Yes it may be a little later on in the cycle, but go ahead and submit the secondary. Its 2 pretty easy prompts and shouldnt take too long. And there were plenty of people who interviewed very late (with me) and were accepted either outright or off the waitlist. Bottom line is they got accepted.

2. The admission committee usually meets at the end of each month. After they vote on the applicants, if you are accepted, you are usually emailed almost immediately. A lot of my friends found out within 2 days of their interview. If you are not accepted or you are waitlisted, I believe they send out the notification by mail. If its been a week or so into the beginning of the month after you interview, go ahead and call the admissions office and ask for the status of your application. They'll tell you right over the phone if you want.

3. During the interview, they will almost always ask questions that cover the same 3-4 topics: 1. Why you want to be a doctor. 2. Why a DO? 3. Something to demonstrate your ethics. 4. Something demonstrating your empathy. 5. How you handle stress.

My advice is to really truly know what Osteopathy is and how you use it. Other than that, just be relaxed in the interview and youll be fine.

4. If you are wait-listed or you hear nothing at all, the number one thing you need to be doing is updating your file. By that I mean adding new experiences, LOR's, and sending in letters of intent.

Good Luck

Reactions: 2 users
For everyone freaking out right now let me offer you a few words of advice.

1. Yes it may be a little later on in the cycle, but go ahead and submit the secondary. Its 2 pretty easy prompts and shouldnt take too long. And there were plenty of people who interviewed very late (with me) and were accepted either outright or off the waitlist. Bottom line is they got accepted.

2. The admission committee usually meets at the end of each month. After they vote on the applicants, if you are accepted, you are usually emailed almost immediately. A lot of my friends found out within 2 days of their interview. If you are not accepted or you are waitlisted, I believe they send out the notification by mail. If its been a week or so into the beginning of the month after you interview, go ahead and call the admissions office and ask for the status of your application. They'll tell you right over the phone if you want.

3. During the interview, they will almost always ask questions that cover the same 3-4 topics: 1. Why you want to be a doctor. 2. Why a DO? 3. Something to demonstrate your ethics. 4. Something demonstrating your empathy. 5. How you handle stress.

My advice is to really truly know what Osteopathy is and how you use it. Other than that, just be relaxed in the interview and youll be fine.

4. If you are wait-listed or you hear nothing at all, the number one thing you need to be doing is updating your file. By that I mean adding new experiences, LOR's, and sending in letters of intent.

Good Luck
Where can we send letters of intent if we have not yet been interviewed?

Just received secondary application here. I submitted primary AACOMAS last Thursday. Should I even bother with secondary or is it too late? Thanks.

II today! I was complete November 11th. The available dates were January 12, 26 and 27.

Just received secondary application here. I submitted primary AACOMAS last Thursday. Should I even bother with secondary or is it too late? Thanks.
Hey. Chizase311 posted a good response to your question a couple posts up if you wanna check it out. I agree with his response

submitted my secondary in September haven't heard anything back since...getting kinda worried. OOS 3.7 GPA and 26 MCAT...im hoping my EC boost me up but idk if i have a shot here tbh :p

Hi everyone! I got an II 11/20, and booked it for 1/12. GPA 3.3 MCAT 34. I'm super super excited!!

But I have a question. I am from SoCal. Am I going to freeze to death?? Any advice?? I was planning on renting a car, staying an extra day, driving up and tourist-ing Chicago. I don't have much experience driving in the snow. Should I risk it? Or are there public transportation options??

Oh, and how do you dress WARM for an interview? Lol my interview outfit is a dress =( Helpp...

Hi everyone! I got an II 11/20, and booked it for 1/12. GPA 3.3 MCAT 34. I'm super super excited!!

But I have a question. I am from SoCal. Am I going to freeze to death?? Any advice?? I was planning on renting a car, staying an extra day, driving up and tourist-ing Chicago. I don't have much experience driving in the snow. Should I risk it? Or are there public transportation options??

Oh, and how do you dress WARM for an interview? Lol my interview outfit is a dress =( Helpp...
Congrats! When were you complete?
As far as driving... If at all possible I would take public transit. Not sure what's available, but you don't want to be driving on the snow for the first time right before an interview. Especially not on Chicago. I don't think CTA runs all the way out, so you might try looking at either pace or Amtrak.
As far as clothing, remember you'll be inside most of the time. Wear a warm coat with sensible footwear outside, and just change when you get there. Congrats again!

Edit: Metra totally runs to Downers Grove.

Last edited:
Congrats! When were you complete?
As far as driving... If at all possible I would take public transit. Not sure what's available, but you don't want to be driving on the snow for the first time right before an interview. Especially not on Chicago. I don't think CTA runs all the way out, so you might try looking at either pace or Amtrak.
As far as clothing, remember you'll be inside most of the time. Wear a warm coat with sensible footwear outside, and just change when you get there. Congrats again!

Being from the Chicago area and living in Chicago right now, public transit does not go all the way to downers grove. There is metra (Amtrak is more so for regional transport than local transport) but even then you would need to walk a bit which is difficult in interview clothes! I would drive but leave and get there early! Snow may not even be an issue.

As for clothing llama had it right! You will be inside for the majority of the time so just bring a good coat and some sensible footwear and you'll be good!!

Thanks everyone for the cold weather chat, Florida man coming next week and I'm a bit concerned lol.

Hey guys, I have my interview next Friday (the 12th) and I was wondering if anyone knew if the AdCom is meeting prior to Xmas break? I know their Xmas break starts the 19th, but I am just wondering if there's a chance I could get a decision in the week between my interview and their break? :xf:

Thanks!

Thanks to black friday (and saturday and sunday and monday), I now own my first legitimate wool coat! Thank you SO MUCH for all your help, everyone. You are all so awesome. :biglove:

I think I will invest in some nice gloves and warm stockings to wear underneath my interview clothes. Probably will change it up and wear a pantsuit instead of a dress.. and boots instead of pumps.. I would just like to say that you men have it so much easier. (Unless it's really warm out and you have to wear a full suit..)

I am going to be staying in Downers Grove at a place with a shuttle for the school. I think my biggest concern is transportation to and from the airport-- will be looking into either public transportation or shuttles. I'm so relieved to hear that there is a way to get to downtown sans driving. Although I thought Metra was a typo for Metro this whole time. I apologize for my ignorant Californian mentality!

I was complete on 10/03 and received an II on 11/20. I honestly didn't think I was going to hear from CCOM. I submitted AZCOM and CCOM at the same time, and received an II for AZCOM the next day, and didn't hear from CCOM until the II. So.. don't lose heart guys! =) Anything can happen!

Thanks to black friday (and saturday and sunday and monday), I now own my first legitimate wool coat! Thank you SO MUCH for all your help, everyone. You are all so awesome. :biglove:

I think I will invest in some nice gloves and warm stockings to wear underneath my interview clothes. Probably will change it up and wear a pantsuit instead of a dress.. and boots instead of pumps.. I would just like to say that you men have it so much easier. (Unless it's really warm out and you have to wear a full suit..)

I am going to be staying in Downers Grove at a place with a shuttle for the school. I think my biggest concern is transportation to and from the airport-- will be looking into either public transportation or shuttles. I'm so relieved to hear that there is a way to get to downtown sans driving. Although I thought Metra was a typo for Metro this whole time. I apologize for my ignorant Californian mentality!

I was complete on 10/03 and received an II on 11/20. I honestly didn't think I was going to hear from CCOM. I submitted AZCOM and CCOM at the same time, and received an II for AZCOM the next day, and didn't hear from CCOM until the II. So.. don't lose heart guys! =) Anything can happen!

Bring, boots, a warm coat, gloves, a scarf and earmuffs with you on your trip. I wore a skirt suit to the interview and had warm, fleece-lined, footed leggings on underneath (the kind that don't get all linty). You'll be inside for the interview so don't wear too many layers. You don't want to get sweaty! Get the uber app on your phone and call an uber X for airport-hotel rides. They're fairly cheap and quick. You can also grab an uber X to and from the city whenever you're in the mood to explore. Good luck!

To those that go to CCOM:

Do you get to take advantage of the fact that you live in the 3rd biggest city in the country? Do you get to experience the city life? Do 3rd and 4th years typically live in the city?

If I go here, I would love to experience the lifestyle of a big city!

To those that go to CCOM:

Do you get to take advantage of the fact that you live in the 3rd biggest city in the country? Do you get to experience the city life? Do 3rd and 4th years typically live in the city?

If I go here, I would love to experience the lifestyle of a big city!

Not a current student, but I know for a fact that most rotations take place in the city. It's part of the reason why the tuition is high.

The big affiliates ccom has (Advocate Christ, Advocate Masonic, Cook County) are all smack dab in the middle of the city or near it.

I would also like to know where most students live throughout their time at CCOM? Do people tend to live close to CCOM in the first 2 years and then move to the city during the 3rd and 4th years?

It seems like their rotations are all over the city so I was curious to see if it is beneficial to live in a certain area of the city.

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

Looking forward to my interview next week!!!! I love CCOM and Chicago!!

Sorry if this has been brought up already and not a helpful post for those applying, although I wish you tons of luck! I'm wondering if anyone has set up a thread or facebook group for students who will for sure be attending CCOM in the fall, class of 2019??