Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got rejected today pre-interview however they sent me info about their MA in Biomedical Sciences and MBS programs. Does anyone have any opinions on these programs? Links to forums on SDN? Past experience?

Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got rejected today pre-interview however they sent me info about their MA in Biomedical Sciences and MBS programs. Does anyone have any opinions on these programs? Links to forums on SDN? Past experience?

Yeah I got that email today too....

Hopefully all of you get into your choice schools :) Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Did anyone else get a mailed pre interview rejection before the email? I got a mailed pre interview rejection from them a while ago and they sent another one mailed. Seems weird, either way I won't be getting in here. Best of luck to the rest of you.

I got the email first. Haven't received a letter from USPS yet. They did send me a letter though AFTER I received an email stating my application was complete (like 2-3 weeks later)

Reactions: 1 user
I got the email first. Haven't received a letter from USPS yet. They did send me a letter though AFTER I received an email stating my application was complete (like 2-3 weeks later)

Ahh that makes sense, makes me less anxious haha, thanks!

i hope people start hearing back from the adcom soon... really hoping for the best for everyone!!!

We do have people in our class who participated in those programs, but I think it depends on what would improve your app best. Good MCAT and low-ish GPA? Maybe. If the MCAT is what you can work on, then maybe not.

We do have people in our class who participated in those programs, but I think it depends on what would improve your app best. Good MCAT and low-ish GPA? Maybe. If the MCAT is what you can work on, then maybe not.

Low sGPA and MCAT lol I just turned 21 so i have all the time in the world to improve my app. However I think this program would be the best since all the other "post bac" options that have been presented to me have been graduate certificates rather than a masters like here at midwestern

Some of you might see yourself in this video. Literally.

There are also videos from past years if you are bored and can't get enough of the CCOM anatomy dept...last year was to "Shake it Off" and it's so great.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my application today. Good luck to everyone still in the process!

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but what is the justification by CCOM for the high tuition? Location? Rotations? Facilities? Because we all want to go so badly that we'll pay it, no matter the number? I loved the school, but like many i'm sure, am put off by the dollar figure.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but what is the justification by CCOM for the high tuition? Location? Rotations? Facilities? Because we all want to go so badly that we'll pay it, no matter the number? I loved the school, but like many i'm sure, am put off by the dollar figure.

There is no justification for that high tuition. Look at PCOM, which is just as good, but has a significantly lower tuition and is located in Philadelphia.

However, CCOM is a really good school and located in a nice ritzy area close to Chicago and I would've chosen it despite the tuition over mid and low tier DO schools.

It is also one of the few DO schools that is actually close to a major city, which has a lot of appeal.

Last edited:
I have an interview here next month! What's the interview day like? I saw that it's a 3 person panel. Are you by yourself in front of the panel or with other interviewees?

I have an interview here next month! What's the interview day like? I saw that it's a 3 person panel. Are you by yourself in front of the panel or with other interviewees?
You're by yourself with the panel. The interview lasts about 20 minutes. There are a couple of people who come in and talk to everyone in the morning and towards lunch time. You guys then go on a mini campus tour and then eat lunch.

If you are interviewing on a day when students aren't bogged down in classes or studying, some of us stop by and talk to you. And you can ask questions about the school, classes, life in general. Lol

You're by yourself with the panel. The interview lasts about 20 minutes. There are a couple of people who come in and talk to everyone in the morning and towards lunch time. You guys then go on a mini campus tour and then eat lunch.

If you are interviewing on a day when students aren't bogged down in classes or studying, some of us stop by and talk to you. And you can ask questions about the school, classes, life in general. Lol

Sounds great, thanks for the info!

It has to do with the nexus of healthcare that exists in Chicago. There's practically a level 1 trauma center every other block downtown. And within Chicago's reach are UIC-COM, RFUMS, Rush COM, Northwestern Feinberg, Pritzker, and finally CCOM. Midwestern is the only one that teaches Osteopathy.

Also, in my opinion, the huge number of associated hospitals at CCOM has more to do with the school's location in Chicago than the institution itself. I'm sure the "ritzy" nature of Midwestern is on the bottom of the list for why it's so expensive.
Speaking of the quality sites in Chicago, any idea of how students are assigned to given rotation sites? My MS1 student tour guide was unsure of this answer.

Speaking of the quality sites in Chicago, any idea of how students are assigned to given rotation sites? My MS1 student tour guide was unsure of this answer.
In my interview, I was told that you rank the sites and field of study of which you would like to rotate in from 1-3 for both. Afterwards, the school decides what sites you get and attempts to give you your best preference as available.

Also, has anyone from the Dec 4th Interview date heard anything yet?

II yesterday, LizzyM 71. Dates are in February. Am I still in the running for actual spots in the class or the waitlist?

II yesterday, LizzyM 71. Dates are in February. Am I still in the running for actual spots in the class or the waitlist?

I'm not sure anyone here can honestly answer that. Probably depends on how enthusiastic Midwestern has felt about the pool of candidates thus far.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 12/1, IL resident, LizzyM 68. Withdrawing so hopefully it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
I was also accepted this morning via email! I interviewed 12/7, OOS but from the midwest, LizzyM 70

Reactions: 2 users
If frantically checking your email this morning, try looking on admissions portal. I don't have an acceptance email, but now have access to all the accepted student options on portal! LizzyM 71.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I know it's late in the process but I was considering applying here. Do you think it is too late? I have already been accepted to one of my top schools but the more research the more I become more interested in this school. What do you think? Is it worth it to shoot out the primary to them this late?

Hey guys. I know it's late in the process but I was considering applying here. Do you think it is too late? I have already been accepted to one of my top schools but the more research the more I become more interested in this school. What do you think? Is it worth it to shoot out the primary to them this late?

It's pretty late in the game but you'll never know if you don't try.

They were pretty quick to get back with me after all the steps of the application, so I think it's worth it. You can always call the admissions office and ask what time of year they usually fill their class by too. I had asked them the same question about their Arizona campus, and they said they still have spots through March. So that's a good sign if Chicago follows a similar schedule

Has any one put the downpayment down and then withdrew? Do I just send an email? I can't find anything on the portal.

Found it.

Accepted on 12/17. Interviewed on 12/14. Must have interviewed right before adcom met. If I get into DMU, I'm going to withdraw, hopefully it'll go to someone who really wants to attend here!

Stats are 31 mcat, 3.56 gpa. They also straight up said that they chose to interview us because a lot of us had experience in healthcare. I worked as a cna/pct for 3 years.

Good luck to those still applying!

Accepted on 12/17. Interviewed on 12/14. Must have interviewed right before adcom met. If I get into DMU, I'm going to withdraw, hopefully it'll go to someone who really wants to attend here!

Stats are 31 mcat, 3.56 gpa. They also straight up said that they chose to interview us because a lot of us had experience in healthcare. I worked as a cna/pct for 3 years.

Congrats! When were you complete with them?

Congrats! When were you complete with them?

Thanks! Sent AACOMAS on Oct 12. Completed on Oct 21. Interview request received via email on Nov 11

Accepted 12/17 as well, interviewed 12/7 OOS!! One of my top choices but man that tuition..

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, I'm a CCOM 19' student on winter break. Let me know if you have any questions about me, my school - anything!

Hello @DOMore ! So about dat tuition... are you taking out loans or are you a part of a program with loan forgiveness/payment (e.g. HPSP)? Are you planning on any sort of loan forgiveness program post-graduation? Do you have any idea why the tuition is so god awful? I love this school I just... am $ad

Reactions: 4 users
Hello @DOMore ! So about dat tuition... are you taking out loans or are you a part of a program with loan forgiveness/payment (e.g. HPSP)? Are you planning on any sort of loan forgiveness program post-graduation? Do you have any idea why the tuition is so god awful? I love this school I just... am $ad

So much this.

Ehh I don't totally agree with that. I only have about 200 hours of hospital volunteering and 80 hours of shadowing which is pretty standard for most premeds.

Ehh I don't totally agree with that. I only have about 200 hours of hospital volunteering and 80 hours of shadowing which is pretty standard for most premeds.

I had even less volunteering experience in healthcare and was interviewed and accepted in the first group in first week of October.

To be completely honest, I have an arrangement with my father regarding tuition at CCOM and am not taking any federal loans. I know we have access to a Graduate PLUS loan and an unsubsidized federal Stafford loan (read this article for more information on the two: http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...rs-about-graduate-plus-loans-before-borrowing). Basically the Stafford loan has a lower interest rate (5.84% vs 6.84 for the Graduate PLUS), which is obviously preferable, but unfortunately doesn't cover the full tuition (only about 2/3). As I understand it, most students are either taking the full Stafford loan and then paying the remaining balance with the Graduate PLUS loan, or they're doing what I just said but with a bigger Graduate PLUS loan for living expenses, or they're just taking the Stafford loan and paying the remaining balance out of pocket (around 20,000 over 3 "quarters"). A few of my classmates have taken scholarships from the U.S. Army (http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html), and even fewer are paying out of pocket. In terms of why the tuition is so high - in my opinion it's not just one thing. I promise you'd feel like you're getting your money's worth. Our facilities are state of the art, and our professors are incredible (Midwestern University has a reputation in Academia and amongst scientists for being one of the best places to work in the country https://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Communications/Vital Signs Fall 11.pdf). Coming from a really cheap public school for undergrad, the difference is astounding. I still get amazed at how amazing CCOM is a quarter and a half into my first year. Heck, even the testing center proctors are amazing! You'll walk in worried about the huge anatomy exam you're about to take, but you'll still be smiling the entire time because of the staff and how they do their job. I have 19 friends from undergrad scattered amongst different Chicagoland medical schools (Rush, UIC, Loyola), and not to bash on any of those schools per say, but it's quite clear that amongst all of my friends, I'm the happiest with where I am. Furthermore, we've had 100% residency match rates for years, from neurosurgery to dermatology, and I've heard that this is at least partially due to contracts that the school has with the plethora of Illinois teaching hospitals, and our tuition pays for that in part. CCOM also has a very rich and respected history, especially in terms of Osteopathic medicine, and I have to assume that the name and history of the school is part of the reason for the price. I know other old 5 schools charge less, but I think the point is still valid. I could go on and on about all the little things that make this school truly incredible, and to me all those things together make this school well worth it. That being said, a lot of people are going to be faced with a choice, and if you can conclude that a CCOM education will take you to the exact same place a _______ education will, and ________ is cheaper, then of course you should say "no thank you" to CCOM. I'm also saying that if you're faced with that choice, and you end up choosing CCOM, you wouldn't regret it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
@DOMore Thanks for all the info! I had the same question too. Also, you mentioned that some of your classmates took scholarships from the U.S. Army. Are you aware of any others taking scholarships through other branches of the military or through the National Health Service Corp Scholar Program?

@DOMore Thanks for all the info! I had the same question too. Also, you mentioned that some of your classmates took scholarships from the U.S. Army. Are you aware of any others taking scholarships through other branches of the military or through the National Health Service Corp Scholar Program?
I am not familiar with any of my classmates taking scholarships from other military branches or the NHSC. There was a representative from the U.S. Army that was handing out pamphlets and taking emails/numbers for people interested in getting more information during our orientation, and we also received some emails from them I believe. If people in my class have only gone with the U.S. Army scholarships, it's probably because of that stronger presence. I commend you for familiarizing yourself with other options though! I do have some words of wisdom that I've gathered from military people and the like though, and that's that "full ride" scholarships such as these may or may not be worth it depending how you look at it. From what I've heard, the cost of tuition that the government takes on is basically deducted from your salary later on when you're serving compared to what you'd make as a civilian doctor. So it's not much different than it would be if you just paid off your debt in the traditional way. There are also lifestyle considerations to take that may not be desirable for some people, such as moving around a lot. That's something to consider especially if you see yourself having a family. I don't want to stand on this soapbox for too long, but students really need to think "long term" when it comes to military scholarships and the like. I'm sure you are, but unfortunately the guy I spoke to hadn't really thought it through. He concluded that he wouldn't have taken the scholarship if he was faced with the decision again, and told me that the fear of debt many medical students have is largely unfounded. Students should be careful not to make rash/not well-thought-out decisions based solely upon fear of debt. Just thought I'd share.

I am not familiar with any of my classmates taking scholarships from other military branches or the NHSC. There was a representative from the U.S. Army that was handing out pamphlets and taking emails/numbers for people interested in getting more information during our orientation, and we also received some emails from them I believe. If people in my class have only gone with the U.S. Army scholarships, it's probably because of that stronger presence. I commend you for familiarizing yourself with other options though! I do have some words of wisdom that I've gathered from military people and the like though, and that's that "full ride" scholarships such as these may or may not be worth it depending how you look at it. From what I've heard, the cost of tuition that the government takes on is basically deducted from your salary later on when you're serving compared to what you'd make as a civilian doctor. So it's not much different than it would be if you just paid off your debt in the traditional way. There are also lifestyle considerations to take that may not be desirable for some people, such as moving around a lot. That's something to consider especially if you see yourself having a family. I don't want to stand on this soapbox for too long, but students really need to think "long term" when it comes to military scholarships and the like. I'm sure you are, but unfortunately the guy I spoke to hadn't really thought it through. He concluded that he wouldn't have taken the scholarship if he was faced with the decision again, and told me that the fear of debt many medical students have is largely unfounded. Students should be careful not to make rash/not well-thought-out decisions based solely upon fear of debt. Just thought I'd share.

I do know a few people in our class who are on NHSC scholarships, for what it's worth.

I do know a few people in our class who are on NHSC scholarships, for what it's worth.

Can confirm that there is a strong army presence, half of my anatomy lab table is on it. Haven't heard about other people in our class but perhaps upperclassmen?

Thanks for all the info @DOMore!!! I really do want to go to this school and I think I'm going to take on debt armed with the book/website of White Coat Investor and... well.. hopefully not flunk out lol