Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll do great things, absie107.
Aw thanks. For my first great thing, I'm gonna come up with as many humerus, tachy medical puns that I can. Infarct, I'm coming up with some right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II! I was complete 8/9 and thought I would never hear from this school :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!!
What dates are still available?

Thank you! There were 4 in January and 4 in February when I signed up, if I recall correctly. The ones I specifically remember are 1/26, 2/2 and 2/8 haha.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't remember all of them but these were a few 1/11, 1/12 and 1/15. They only interview on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays

Do they send out IIs only once a month?

Anyone know the preferred method of correspondence (mail, email) for an update letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
For current students, did you find that the total cost of attendance estimates (tuition+housing+transportation...) from the financial aid office was fairly accurate? They list the cost of attendance ranging from 86k to 96k depending on how thrifty you want to be.

Does anyone know how often they're sending out II these days? Recently sent in a PDF update after having been complete since 10/19, so I'm just wondering what the overall flow is right now.

Does anyone know how often they're sending out II these days? Recently sent in a PDF update after having been complete since 10/19, so I'm just wondering what the overall flow is right now.

I think they send out interviews once a month near the end of the month. I heard from current students that CCOM sends students IIs all the way into March. If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me as I'm curious about this school too.

I think they send out interviews once a month near the end of the month. I heard from current students that CCOM sends students IIs all the way into March. If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me as I'm curious about this school too.
The school will interview into March. I'm not sure when they stop sending IIs but the latest I've heard classmates interview is around March. Take into consideration that you might be interviewing a month or two after you receive the II. I got my II late January and was able to snag a date 3 days later, but the majority of my interview date options were late March.

The school will interview into March. I'm not sure when they stop sending IIs but the latest I've heard classmates interview is around March. Take into consideration that you might be interviewing a month or two after you receive the II. I got my II late January and was able to snag a date 3 days later, but the majority of my interview date options were late March.
Cool. Thank you.

Anyone know if there is a Facebook page for accepted students?

Reactions: 1 users
I just looked at the interview calendar (I give tours) and there are interview slots until mid-April. Just FYI

I just looked at the interview calendar (I give tours) and there are interview slots until mid-April. Just FYI
How was first quarter? Was it ridiculously challenging? Are you done with gross anatomy?

How was first quarter? Was it ridiculously challenging? Are you done with gross anatomy?

@RavenclawMed can give her own input, but my 2 cents: yes, it was very challenging! But, absolutely doable. We take gross anatomy through fall and winter quarter, so we'll be done at the end of February.

I would agree that it was challenging! However, it's not that we're not capable. Rather, I think it's been hard to adjust to the pace and volume of medical school. We're still chugging along, though, and our class has been pretty supportive thus far!

Counting down the days for anatomy haha. I can count on one hand how many labs I have left and it feels glorious!

If you've taken anatomy before, it's not bad at all. I basically just review the days material after class ends every day, and on our long weekends (every Friday off) I have more than enough time to cement the previous weeks material, prepare for exams/quizzes coming up the next week, and have some fun with friends and family. The nice thing about medical school is your schedule is made for you. I mention that because it seems like they put some thought into making sure things don't ever get too overwhelming from week to week. If you've ever had a really poorly scheduled semester/quarter or more in undergrad (like I did), I'd say medical school is a lot easier than that! Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! CCOM and AZCOM are getting fancy new computers and printers soon :clap:

suddenly this week, i cannot log in to the portal. it says error, page cannot be opened. does it mean i am rejected?

I interviewed mid March. They called me on a Wednesday for the invite, and they told me to come in that same Friday so it all happened so fast. By that time, at least for us, the class was about 3/4 full. However, like @RavenclawMed and @ananasmed have stated, people get accepted of the waitlist, like me. One of the guys in my lab group also did not interview until April. So, it does not matter when you interview, or how late you interview, you just have to keep trying and do your best =).

Will be withdrawing my acceptance. Hoping it goes to one of you amazing SDN people. CCOM is an fantastic school and will provide some great opportunities. Best of luck to everyone! :xf:

When writing a post-interview thank you letter, is it okay if we send identical letters to all of the interviewers?

When writing a post-interview thank you letter, is it okay if we send identical letters to all of the interviewers?
I tried to at least tailor them a little according to what the recipient asked me or something.

IS for this school and submitted along with AZCOM app - recieved AZCOM II about a month and a half ago but no news from this school. Could it be the slightly higher average MCAT (~0.5) or the fact that this school required a letter wheareas AZCOM did not? I submitted a physician letter but it was not DO.
I thought AZCOM had the higher MCAT average

Is there anybody else on here wait listed post-interview? I was wondering when they stopped interviewing and started to look at the wait list.

Interviewed 1/12...wondering when we're going to hear back.

I vaguely recall that the committee meets at the end of each month - so hopefully early February. Good luck!

Is there anybody else on here wait listed post-interview? I was wondering when they stopped interviewing and started to look at the wait list.

Interviewed 1/12...wondering when we're going to hear back.

To give you an idea, I interviewed 2nd week of March, got waitlisted, and got accepted end of May. I know last interviews happen around the 2nd week of April. Im not exactly sure if they continuously look at the waitlist or if they dont do it until April after all interviews are done. My suggestion is, try not to just sit around, send a letter of continued interest and update letter if you can.

To give you an idea, I interviewed 2nd week of March, got waitlisted, and got accepted end of May. I know last interviews happen around the 2nd week of April. Im not exactly sure if they continuously look at the waitlist or if they dont do it until April after all interviews are done. My suggestion is, try not to just sit around, send a letter of continued interest and update letter if you can.

Thanks for the response. On the day of the interview, an admissions person told me that they do not look at the wait list until they have finished interviewing; however, I will send a letter of intent regardless. Do you know about how many people can get off the wait list? I know it varies year to year.

Thanks for the response. On the day of the interview, an admissions person told me that they do not look at the wait list until they have finished interviewing; however, I will send a letter of intent regardless. Do you know about how many people can get off the wait list? I know it varies year to year.
I don't think anyone can give you numbers as they vary greatly from year to year. I know people who were accepted off the waitlists well after classes started, some just days before - it all depends on how many seats open back up for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does vary year to year. It all depends on how many people commit to their acceptance. I remembered in my interview, the director said, they have had a year where as little as 8 people got accepted off the waitlist, and another year where as many as 40 people got accepted. If you have been waitlisted, get a hold of a counselor and send all of your updates to that person. That way, someone is aware of your efforts =)

Hey all, I have been complete here since Oct 31, but still no interview invite. 3.83 GPA and 503 (27 on old scale) mcat. LizzyM of 65.3, which is right at the average for accepted students. I've been accepted to DMU, and I heard CCOM interviews a lot of the same students. I have great LORs (one from a CCOM alum) and great essays and extra curriculars. I updated them with a letter of intent and my updated grades (4.0 GPA for the semester). Can somebody explain why it's taking so long to hear back? I thought i'd be a top applicant here. I'm also a chicago resident, so that further adds to my desire to go here. Also, how much of the class has been filled? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all, I have been complete here since Oct 31, but still no interview invite. 3.83 GPA and 503 (27 on old scale) mcat. LizzyM of 65.3, which is right at the average for accepted students. I've been accepted to DMU, and I heard CCOM interviews a lot of the same students. I have great LORs (one from a CCOM alum) and great essays and extra curriculars. I updated them with a letter of intent and my updated grades (4.0 GPA for the semester). Can somebody explain why it's taking so long to hear back? I thought i'd be a top applicant here. I'm also a chicago resident, so that further adds to my desire to go here. Also, how much of the class has been filled? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey! Current MS1 here. I interviewed last January and was complete early October-ish but I know many of classmates waited months to hear back. It doesn't necessarily mean that the class is filled or that you're not competitive enough (your stats seem right on par). Their method of selecting interviewees doesn't seem to have a complete pattern so you may just not have been looked at yet. As long as you haven't gotten that rejection letter, you're still up and running! Many of my classmates are people who got off the waitlist and quite a few interviewed in February and March. I've heard update letters help so keep sending those and hopefully you'll hear back soon. I was extremely anxious when I was applying so I understand your anxiety. Good Luck with hearing back and Congrats on your other acceptances! Let me know if I can help in answering any questions! :)

I received an interview at CCOM but was put on hold at DMU pre-interview so basically I'm saying that you never know whats going to happen