Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very hard decision but withdrew my acceptance and seat-deposit today.
This is one of the best DO schools in the country with resources and faculty that are on par with most MD schools in the country. Along with the first-class location, CCOM was truly my dream school when starting this process out. The price-tag, however, is a little too scary for me. I hope my seat goes out to one of you that are still on the waitlist. Enjoy CCOM! It's an amazing school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Very hard decision but withdrew my acceptance and seat-deposit today.
This is one of the best DO schools in the country with resources and faculty that are on par with most MD schools in the country. Along with the first-class location, CCOM was truly my dream school when starting this process out. The price-tag, however, is a little too scary for me. I hope my seat goes out to one of you that are still on the waitlist. Enjoy CCOM! It's an amazing school!
Best of luck to you elsewhere!!!

My Midwestern account updated today with the matriculation agreement, so the waitlist is starting to move. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My Midwestern account updated today with the matriculation agreement, so the waitlist is starting to move. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Congrats! Did you receive an email or was it just the portal update?

First my portal updated and then I got a call from the admissions department. I'm still yet to get an email though

Reactions: 2 users
You too! Also, per your username, are you into Chris Thile at all? Cuz if you are we are gonna be pals.
Haha sorry to disappoint but the Bluegrass in my name refers to the state not the musical genre. That being said, I'm a huge fan of classic country and the line between those two genres often gets blurred.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you send a letter of intent or additional letters of recommendation? Just trying to gather information on how to maximize my chance of getting off of the waitlist!

Send a letter!! You were supposed to send one weeks ago! They start re-reviewing applicants that have a letter first.

If you're on the waitlist, definitely send update letters. Do some extra shadowing and send an update about that - if the doctor you shadow would write you a letter of recommendation that would be an added bonus. Some of my friends weren't accepted until the end of July when we were starting out.

Just got accepted off of wait list
II April 4

And I sent in another letter of recommendation.

Finally withdrew my acceptance last week - hope someone got it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted off the alternate list last week!
Now I'm looking for housing. Does anyone have any recommendations for places or need a roommate?
I've looked at The Quarters, Courts of the Falling Waters, and Dynasty Pointe. Any comments on those apartments?

I was just accepted off the alternate list last week!
Now I'm looking for housing. Does anyone have any recommendations for places or need a roommate?
I've looked at The Quarters, Courts of the Falling Waters, and Dynasty Pointe. Any comments on those apartments?

Congratulations! Join the Facebook group for the class of 2020. A lot of apartments have already been discussed and there's a spread sheet for people looking for roommates.

Hello Class of 2020 applicants! I havent lingered here in awhile. If you are on the waitlist, my recommnedation is to keep them updated. It also helps if you send your updates to just 1 person (i.e., admissions counselor, etc). That way at least one person is aware that you are continuously showing interest. Im not saying that this will guarantee getting you off the waitlist, but this is what I did and I got off the waitlist last year. Best of Luck!

I interviewed back in November and still on the alternate list. Since then, I have sent multiple updates, including over 500+ clinical experience and 100 hours volunteering. I also sent in a new LOR. I am really hoping to be looked at soon!

I interviewed back in November and still on the alternate list. Since then, I have sent multiple updates, including over 500+ clinical experience and 100 hours volunteering. I also sent in a new LOR. I am really hoping to be looked at soon!
When was the last time u contacted them? If it has been several weeks, contact again.

Congratulations! Join the Facebook group for the class of 2020. A lot of apartments have already been discussed and there's a spread sheet for people looking for roommates.
Thanks! Do you have the link for the facebook group?

Accepted off the alternate list this morning. I will be withdrawing the acceptance. Hopefully the spot goes to one of you waiting!

What do you think are my chances to this school???

Demographics: 22, M, DC resident.

GPAs: sGPA 3.763, cGPA 3.84

MCAT: 504 balanced

Non-Clinical Volunteering
~300 hours as a soup kitchen volunteer and given leadership role in charge of laundry and showers
~30 hours volunteer in the Summer Special Olympics and various 5k's

ClinIcal Experience
  • shadowed at hospital for ~600 hours in various departments and specialties
  • EMT-B for ~850 hours
Work Experience: Held 5 different jobs in the food business, Tutor in the sciences, Bio class TA.

Research
Poster presentation in Jefferson School of Pharmacy, Poster presentation at school. Published.
2 years of research

Leadership: Senator Ben Cardin leadership program, on the board of a national honor society along with being a part of many honor societies.

Awards
Merit based scholarship ~$2000

Special Considerations: I moved to the U.S. when I was 15 without knowing ANY English. This is what my personal statement is about, I had no friends or ability to communicate with anybody for most of my high school career. I learned English the hard way.

LORs: VERY strong letter of rec, from pre-pharm advisor, also my orgo I and II professor, pre-med committee, English prof who promised a good letter, Physio psyc prof who got a PhD in neuropsyc from Harvard, and my Gen Chem I and II, professor who is also my employer at the tutoring center.
I posted this as part of WAMC also, but was looking for people who actually got secondaries and interviews. Constructive criticism will be nice, as far as shadowing a DO, etc...

~300 hours as a soup kitchen volunteer and given leadership role in charge of laundry and showers

ClinIcal Experience
  • EMT-B for ~850 hours
Work Experience: Held 5 different jobs in the food business, Tutor in the sciences, Bio class TA.

Research
Poster presentation in Jefferson School of Pharmacy, Poster presentation at school. Published.
2 years of research

Leadership: Senator Ben Cardin leadership program, on the board of a national honor society along with being a part of many honor societies.

Awards

Special Considerations: I moved to the U.S. when I was 15 without knowing ANY English. This is what my personal statement is about, I had no friends or ability to communicate with anybody for most of my high school career. I learned English the hard way.

LORs: VERY strong letter of rec, from pre-pharm advisor, also my orgo I and II professor, pre-med committee, English prof who promised a good letter, Physio psyc prof who got a PhD in neuropsyc from Harvard, and my Gen Chem I and II, professor who is also my employer at the tutoring center.
I posted this as part of WAMC also, but was looking for people who actually got secondaries and interviews. Constructive criticism will be nice, as far as shadowing a DO, etc...

Shadow a DO. It helps to have a LOR from him/her plus it shows that you've gotten exposure to osteopathy.

ClinIcal Experience
  • EMT-B for ~850 hours

Research
2 years of research

Awards

I have no experience whatsoever on what admissions boards want except as it relates to my own personal experience and situation, so keep that in mind. However, you seem like a very well rounded and competitive applicant. Most stats and experience you have are much more impressive than mine and I was accepted. Your MCAT isn't anything spectacular but certainly competitive enough considering everything else you have going for you. That being said, you need to be able to demonstrate an understanding of and an interest in Osteopathic medicine specifically. That means shadowing a DO at the least, and try your best to get something meaningful out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
When was the last time u contacted them? If it has been several weeks, contact again.

Hi, thanks for the response. I last sent an update about a week ago.

Hello everybody I was wondering if anyone found any good off-campus housing and was looking for another roommate. I was recently accepted off the waitlist and am looking to stay offcampus. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Hello everybody I was wondering if anyone found any good off-campus housing and was looking for another roommate. I was recently accepted off the waitlist and am looking to stay offcampus. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Check out the Facebook group. There's a whole lot of info there. I posted the link above in this thread.

Do you know how I can be added to the group I am pending. Thanks.

Just withdrew my acceptance here! Hope my spot goes to one of you fine people still sweating it on the waitlist :) good luck all!

Reactions: 2 users
PM me! I live in the local area and while I have already settled on a housing option, I looked at several places and could offer some ideas. :)

Just accepted off the alternate list, notified first by email and then phone call. watching the movement on here helped me a lot, and motivated me to keep in touch with them. Best of luck to anyone still hopeful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was also just accepted off the alternate list this morning. This is my #1 choice for school and I couldn't be happier! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

For those that have been accepted off the alternate list, do you mind sharing your stats?

Accepted this morning too. Flabbergasted. My second cycle, first acceptance.

cgpa 3.2 sgpa 3.3 MCAT 34. Light shadowing, 2 MDs 1 DO. Pretty standard clinical volunteering. Varied ECs.

Accepted this morning too. Flabbergasted. My second cycle, first acceptance.

cgpa 3.2 sgpa 3.3 MCAT 34. Light shadowing, 2 MDs 1 DO. Pretty standard clinical volunteering. Varied ECs.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I was also just accepted off the alternate list this morning. This is my #1 choice for school and I couldn't be happier! Good luck to everyone still waiting!
CONGRATS!!!!

Just accepted off the alternate list, notified first by email and then phone call. watching the movement on here helped me a lot, and motivated me to keep in touch with them. Best of luck to anyone still hopeful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
amazing!!! congratulations :)

I am applying to both the Arizona and Chicago locations, do you think it would be ok to submit similar essays for both? Since they basically ask the exact same questions?