Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many are still waiting for their mcat to be marked as received? And how many have submitted their secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

How many are still waiting for their mcat to be marked as received? And how many have submitted their secondary?

Also waiting on MCAT, though AACOMAS did attach the official score a few days ago, so I assume CCOM will update soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
right, but are we focusing mainly on the osteopathic part or can we be more broad about reasons wanting to attend?

Definitely talk about any and all compelling reasons why you would want to attend/what you like about the school in general.

Reactions: 1 users
right, but are we focusing mainly on the osteopathic part or can we be more broad about reasons wanting to attend?

Definitely talk about any and all compelling reasons why you would want to attend/what you like about the school in general.
I agree with this. I think you're psychoanalyzing this too much @MedBlue515. Just be honest and truthful and you'll be ok. GL! :thumbup:

For this question I'd like to give a more meaningful response than CCOM's historically impressive performance on boards/residency placements and the fact that Chicago is close to family in MI and a fun place to live. Where can I gather some more information? Their website hasn't proved....fruitful ha :/

Is anyone else having trouble getting their letters of rec in to CCOM through VirtualEvals? I've been in touch with admissions who say they don't have access to mine, but I can see they were granted access in the beginning of June?

For this question I'd like to give a more meaningful response than CCOM's historically impressive performance on boards/residency placements and the fact that Chicago is close to family in MI and a fun place to live. Where can I gather some more information? Their website hasn't proved....fruitful ha :/

You're gonna have to get creative! The website should really provide you with enough fodder to write an essay, but I do understand wanting it to be a little "deeper" or more personal. Mine was mostly about what I had observed when I had visited the school.. I'm not really sure what else to tell you in terms of tips & tricks, but I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel on this one. Be honest about what you like about the school (on paper), maybe talk about a few things you'd like to get involved in, etc.

What I did for secondaries is I'd typically choose one or two parts of the mission that I really connect with and use that to explain why I'd be there. I think for CCOM I focused a lot on service and how my history of services lined up well with the school's mission. I eventually sent in two update letters with that theme and I believe it helped me get my II. After all, mission statements are meant to be broad so find something you can really write about well and stick to it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
My official MCAT scores showed up on AACOMAS last week, but CCOM still is not showing them as received... anyone else in this situation? Should I call CCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
My official MCAT scores showed up on AACOMAS last week, but CCOM still is not showing them as received... anyone else in this situation? Should I call CCOM?

I'm in the same position. I just resent my mcat score to aacomas for the third time, just to see if that'd change anything haha.

Is the 1500 character limit including or excluding spaces?

Is anyone familiar with the area of the campus? Is it a diverse location and close to many hospitals? I have searched extensively through their website and can't find much information

Is anyone familiar with the area of the campus? Is it a diverse location and close to many hospitals? I have searched extensively through their website and can't find much information
The campus is located in Downers Grove, a suburb of Chicago. The city is plenty diverse while the suburb may not be (as typical with many metropolitan areas) and there are many hospitals in the Chicagoland area, with one minutes from campus.

The campus is located in Downers Grove, a suburb of Chicago. The city is plenty diverse while the suburb may not be (as typical with many metropolitan areas) and there are many hospitals in the Chicagoland area, with one minutes from campus.

So would you say as a CCOM student, you would be serving a diverse population? Where do most students do their clerkships? Thanks!

So would you say as a CCOM student, you would be serving a diverse population? Where do most students do their clerkships? Thanks!
I'm not a student yet, I start in August. I grew up here and would say the area is diverse. Check previous threads for information about rotations by upperclassmen.

You're a student. You have your face glued to medical textbooks for two years. By all means, use your free time as you wish. The south side is only a short drive away.

Rotations are done in tons of hospitals in and around the city. It's Chicagoland not Fargo-- the population is diverse.

The affiliated hospitals range from inner city to squarely suburban, so yes I'd say you'll be seeing a diverse patient population. If the Chicago area isn't diverse, I don't know what is...

@ChiTownBHawks twinning

It's the third largest city in the nation...I don't know what else to say about it lol

Is CCOM a primary care focused school? I feel like I read that at some point in my research but I can't seem to find it again

How do you see it being received as official?

If you go to the "manage programs" page on AACOMAS and download one of your schools' apps, there will be a page just before the unofficial MCAT page with your official scores when they post.

CCOM is in Downers Grove, a very small town near Chicago. Run wild with it.

I mean that's a fairly misleading statement. DG itself is 50K and if you drive 10 miles in any direction you're pushing > a million people, sooo....

Oh? It looked like it was in the middle of nowhere on google maps, crap.

Even wikipedia calls it a "village"
Are you saying I can't refer to it as a small town on my personal statement?

...but how?

It is not a small town. It is a populated suburb, neighboring other populated suburbs, neighboring the third largest city in the nation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 5.04.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 5.04.20 PM.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 61

I mean, I'm really not sure what you are seeing on your end. It seems like a pretty populous area on google maps over here.

You can call it whatever you want. But, someone reading it whose been in Chicagoland their whole life might find it odd that you call it a town.

Last edited:

Maybe it's because we've grown up in a large metropolitan area, but "very small town" in my mind would mean something like Kirksville (and their population is 1/3 of the size of the suburb I went to high school in)

Quick question! Is it a terrible horrible idea to include some humor into the "Hobbies & Nonacademic Interests" section of our resumes?

For example, putting: Singing (off-key)
Because I like making bad jokes and trying to make people smile.

submitted secondary. waiting on mcat to be received.

i just heard from the previous pages here that lors need to have aacomas ID attached to it. i don't even know what this means. anyways, aacomas has already received my lors from interfolio a long time ago and, in fact, i've already received secondary complete emails from most of my submitted secondaries. does being complete mean absolutely everything is ok?

also, is there a commute to ccom? i want to live walking distance to school, if possible. how is the rent and crime around the suburb?

If you submitted your letters to AACOMAS you're fine, your ID will be attached to your letters. The information on the CCOM website that talks about making sure you attached your AACOMAS ID is probably from the old days (aka, last cycle and before) when there was no AACOMAS letter service and everyone had to submit their letters through Interfolio/VirtualEvals etc. If you submit directly from Interfolio to schools, there's a way to make sure your letters has the appropriate CAS ID attached.

CCOM has on-campus housing if you want to literally live nextdoor to class. There are also multiple apartment complexes where students live anywhere between 2-10 min drive from school - I think some of these are fairly high priced (like ~$1000/month for a 1-bed) but since I will not be renting, I haven't done extensive research on where to get the cheapest housing in Downers Grove. I believe you can find reasonable rent near the school, especially if you're willing to have 1-2 roommates.

i just heard from the previous pages here that lors need to have aacomas ID attached to it. i don't even know what this means. anyways, aacomas has already received my lors from interfolio a long time ago and, in fact, i've already received secondary complete emails from most of my submitted secondaries. does being complete mean absolutely everything is ok?

also, is there a commute to ccom? i want to live walking distance to school, if possible. how is the rent and crime around the suburb?
DG, especially where ccom is located, is uber safe. If you find the ccom apartments aren't to your liking, and want something less expensive, then you can get solid apartments for good pricing in Woodridge or Lisle. I'd avoid trying to rent in Hinsdale/ Lombard/ Naperville etc. Unless you want to pay outrageous prices. Most of Downers is kinda pricey too (not sure about Westmont or Darien etc.).

Can any current students comment on CCOM's compatibility to students with families? I am a non-trad with a 2 year old and my wife is expecting again in January.

Exactly what needs to be completed before submitting the primary? Does it depend on the school? The reason why I'm reluctant to turn in my primary is because test score haven't come in etc. Do they judge your application only after secondary? Thank you

Definitely not an underdog. CCOM looks at way more than just scores in order to offer interviews. From my perspective as a student, there were a wide variety of MCAT scores that got accepted as they are only mildly indicative of how you will preform throughout all of school and as a residency.

Good luck!

What about a 3.1 sGPA? Is that a cut of here? Website doesnt say so, but just want to know if i should apply or not

Definitely not an underdog. CCOM looks at way more than just scores in order to offer interviews. From my perspective as a student, there were a wide variety of MCAT scores that got accepted as they are only mildly indicative of how you will preform throughout all of school and as a residency.

Good luck!

What about a 3.1 sGPA? Is that a cut of here? Website doesnt say so, but just want to know if i should apply or not

n=1 but my sGPA is 3.15 and I got accepted. As long as you're over the minimum on the website (which I think is 2.75?) you won't be autoscreened.

n=1 but my sGPA is 3.15 and I got accepted. As long as you're over the minimum on the website (which I think is 2.75?) you won't be autoscreened.
Were you in state or oos and do you mind if i ask what your mcat score was? I'm applying late this season- very late-so I just need to know i stand a chance.

I'm in-state, MCAT was 30. If you're applying late (how late is "late"?), I would recommend holding off until the next cycle. Applying late really limits your options so better to get a head start the next year than try to scramble to get everything together this cycle.

Anyone else receive a letter in the mail pretty much saying you should make sure and fill out the secondary? Haha I am trying to judge if this is is a good sign, or just something every applicant who submits a primary gets.

Thanks

Anyone else receive a letter in the mail pretty much saying you should make sure and fill out the secondary? Haha I am trying to judge if this is is a good sign, or just something every applicant who submits a primary gets.

Thanks

I got one

Thanks

Everyone gets one. Sorry to disappoint lol :( Hold out for that II!

is anyone still waiting for their MCAT to be marked received on their secondaries?

Not completely sure now, but when I applied mine was basically the same and I've heard of lower so I wouldn't count yourself out. CCOM cares more about who you are than your test scores (although those obviously matter).

Last edited:
Not completely sure now, but when I applied mine was basically the same and I've heard of lower so I wouldn't count yourself out. CCOM cares more about who you are than your test scores (although those obviously matter).

Hopefully this applies to all DO schools especially touro which is my first choice in CA or NY!