Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My checklist still shows as "incomplete" due to a missing Recommendation Letter. All of my materials were sent at the same time in June. Does anyone else have this problem?

My checklist still shows as "incomplete" due to a missing Recommendation Letter. All of my materials were sent at the same time in June. Does anyone else have this problem?

same problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
same problem.
I contacted Admissions this morning. I am a Sport Science/Bio Minor graduate. She said they do not accept letters from sport science professors even though it is considered a science, and I received a Bachelor of Science degree. It needs to be anatomy, chemistry, biology, etc.

Whellllp, there goes that! :(

Hmm. I will call in. It says they haven't received any of mine at all.

Is CCOM a primary care focused school? I feel like I read that at some point in my research but I can't seem to find it again

Per their website it says 58% primary care specialties matched in the class of 2015. I personally know several ED physicians as well as a dermatologist in a nearby suburb who all went to CCOM, but that's just my n=1.

Reactions: 1 user
Per their website it says 58% primary care specialties matched in the class of 2015. I personally know several ED physicians as well as a dermatologist in a nearby suburb who all went to CCOM, but that's just my n=1.
Just in writing my secondary I realized I mentioned interest in primary care. I didn't want them to read that and be turned off.

Just in writing my secondary I realized I mentioned interest in primary care. I didn't want them to read that and be turned off.
I don't think any schools would be turned off by being interested in primary care

Reactions: 1 users
Why would they be turned off by that?

I don't think any schools would be turned off by being interested in primary care

I suppose by "turned off" I meant something along the lines of this thought process "Neat, this applicant is interested in primary care. Why does that mean he should be accepted to this year's class?". As the 3rd secondary question is the one where I mentioned it.

I suppose by "turned off" I meant something along the lines of this thought process "Neat, this applicant is interested in primary care. Why does that mean he should be accepted to this year's class?". As the 3rd secondary question is the one where I mentioned it.

I think it's definitely okay that you mentioned it. We will always need more primary care physicians

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really a problem in mentioning primary care to this school?

Is anyone still waiting for their LOR to be marked as received? CCOM had access to mine since 7/10 and I submitted my app on 6/27. thx!

For those of you who still haven't had your MCAT show up as received (despite it being official on AACOMAS), how long have you waited? (or if it is received, how long did you wait)?
you shou call, they download from aacomas weekly. I had similar issue with AZCOM for two weeks, I called them and fixed within 2 min. I believe these two schools work in the similar way

It took about a week for it to show up. I think they just download things sporadically. I was just marked complete today as they received my committee letter which has been uploaded for a while. I'm sure if you call they can fix it.

More than one school has told me they have been having "technical difficulties" downloading letters from AACOMAS. I submitted my secondary here 2 weeks ago and was waiting for my letters to be received. If you are still waiting for your letters, I would suggest sending them via interfolio. I sent mine yesterday and I am now finally complete!!

wheeeeeee just got my secondary for here today. GREAT EXCITE!!!

Just finished my MCAT retake....now to start this essay...haha How many of you had significantly different CV than your aacomas? considering they mainly ask for college experiences?

just curious to know what are you stats if you don't mind sharing!
Sure :) MCAT 29, cGPA 3.54, sGPA3.52. I've been out of college 6 years now and did one semester of physical therapy grad program before withdrawing to apply to medical school....I'm a little worried that will play against me, we'll see!! Grades were really goo that one semester though haha!

Sure :) MCAT 29, cGPA 3.54, sGPA3.52. I've been out of college 6 years now and did one semester of physical therapy grad program before withdrawing to apply to medical school....I'm a little worried that will play against me, we'll see!! Grades were really goo that one semester though haha!
* good *

my stats are very similar to yours except my mcat is 2 points lower. thankfully its a balanced score. as long as you can tell them why you chose medicine i think you will be fine.

Secondary submitted! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I had an issue where I was still missing a physician letter so I emailed them and they told me that the physician who wrote me a letter failed to specify whether she was MD or DO. They didn't contact me in any way to let me know of the issue.

They've had all of my materials except the physician letter since June 20th. My physician letter was finally submitted yesterday. Should I email and let them know or just give it a week and see if the checklist online is updated?

Anyone know when CCOM starts interviewing? Haven't heard anything yet...
I was wondering the same thing, so I did some neurotic stalking of the interview invitations thread from last year. The first one I could find was July 30th. So I'm going climbing and not going to check my email all day! ;)

I was wondering the same thing, so I did some neurotic stalking of the interview invitations thread from last year. The first one I could find was July 30th. So I'm going climbing and not going to check my email all day! ;)
Seems like that would be a little early for this year considering no one on here has got an invite yet and that is only a week away but who knows!

When I applied I was invited early August if I recall. Sit tight and chilllll. Or else you're gonna have a painstaking next few months

I was complete last July but didn't get an II until January. The cycle is long and full of terrors, and I suggest finding a hobby to take your mind off things otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.

I'm a current 4th year. We received an e-mail a few days ago to sign up to interview candidates. The first date listed was September 11th. Not sure if that's the first day they start, but it's the first one we have open right now as students.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current 4th year. We received an e-mail a few days ago to sign up to interview candidates. The first date listed was September 11th. Not sure if that's the first day they start, but it's the first one we have open right now as students.

Last year the first interview date was September 12th, so that seems highly probable to be the first day! :thumbup: