Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning- 3.63 CGPA, 32 Mcat, in-state

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
General stats they gave us at orientation for class of 2019:

Average cGPA: 3.64
Average sGPA: 3.57
Average MCAT: 29.4

There were 8102 applications for ~200 seats; this year's M1 class is 205 seats. Also, our class is 70% in-state, which is about 10% higher than normal/expected.

Reactions: 1 user
Radio silence from CCOM, Got an II from MSUCOM today though :)

Reactions: 1 users
General stats they gave us at orientation for class of 2019:

Average cGPA: 3.64
Average sGPA: 3.57
Average MCAT: 29.4

There were 8102 applications for ~200 seats; this year's M1 class is 205 seats. Also, our class is 70% in-state, which is about 10% higher than normal/expected.

Dang. Guess I shouldn't expect too much love from them then

Take stats with a grain of salt. They're averages so there are people with numbers higher and lower. FWIW, both of my GPAs are lower than the average but my MCAT is higher.

And my experience is basically the complete opposite of @RavenclawMed - both of my GPAs were above the average but my MCAT was below. The school is not as stat obsessed as some on SDN make it out to be, but you do have meet some threshold. :)

Where are these stats you speak of?

CCOM average MCAT and GPA of their entering classes is generally around a 30 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. Thats the highest LizzyM in the country for DO schools.

Also you have MD equivalent stats so no wonder you got an II lol

Members don't see this ad :)
And my experience is basically the complete opposite of @RavenclawMed - both of my GPAs were above the average but my MCAT was below. The school is not as stat obsessed as some on SDN make it out to be, but you do have meet some threshold. :)

I dont think anyone is saying that the school is "stat obsessed" per se, but that it is by factual evidence, the most difficult osteopathic school to gain acceptance to when considering GPA and MCAT.

I dont think anyone is saying that the school is "stat obsessed" per se, but that it is by factual evidence, the most difficult osteopathic school to gain acceptance to when considering GPA and MCAT.

I have seen the term "stat obsessed" used specifically to describe this school and others that emphasize high MCAT scores. And what I'm saying is that it's about more than just stats.

any one with a <30 MCAT score (~510 on the new one, i think) receive an interview yet?

I have seen the term "stat obsessed" used specifically to describe this school and others that emphasize high MCAT scores. And what I'm saying is that it's about more than just stats.

This school average is a 29-30 MCAT average lol. Thats not a "high MCAT" at all.

In fact I consider my 29 embarrassing considering I studied 3.5 months for this one test.

This school average is a 29-30 MCAT average lol. Thats not a "high MCAT" at all.

In fact I consider my 29 embarrassing considering I studied 3.5 months for this one test.

Ok. Clearly I meant in the context of DO schools.

I think what @ananasmed is trying to say is that if the school was as stat-obsessed as SDN believes, I definitely wouldn't be in this year's class. However, they really do look at multiple factors outside of just your numbers and sometimes that gets lost or forgotten just because the stats themselves are high.

I think what @ananasmed is trying to say is that if the school was as stat-obsessed as SDN believes, I definitely wouldn't be in this year's class. However, they really do look at multiple factors outside of just your numbers and sometimes that gets lost or forgotten just because the stats themselves are high.

fair enough. While I understand that, ALL I am saying is that this school factually has the highest LizzyM entering class statistics out of all the DO schools and has had the highest LizzyM since the beginning of time. SO... based on those facts, the evidence shows that this school still places a larger emphasis on stats than OTHER DO schools. I agree with you in the holistic approach and I would be shocked if a medical school didnt place a large emphasis on your entire application.

These days, its all about holistic review which is how it should be.

Is anyone still waiting for their MCAT score(s) to be added to their app file?

when uploading your resume/CV did everyone stick to the 'one page' limit that seems to be stressed?

Mine is two pages (one if you print front and back).

Where was it stressed? Mine is 3 pages...

Lol dont worry about it. My Resume was 2 full dense pages and I got an Interview here a while ago. They dont care about such trivial matters.

Last edited:
woo, complete here 08/04, hoping for an II.. dang that would be fabulous

The 1 page thing wasn't stated anywhere, it's just been something that's always stressed I feel like that's why I mentioned it.

Is anyone still waiting for their MCAT score(s) to be added to their app file?
i'm waiting too, i sent mine from aamc on 8/10 and am hoping it'll be done in a week or so. if not i'll probably call AACOMAS next week and see if i can hurry along the process.

Complete on 7/29. Have not received and II yet :( Hopes are high though..
29 MCAT (retake; raised exam from 25 MCAT)
3.79cGPA
3.67sGPA

Last edited:
Complete on 7/29. Have not received and II yet :( Hopes are high though..
29 MCAT (retake; raised exam from 25 MCAT)
3.79cGPA
3.67sGPA
Chemistry Degree
It's still really soon after you were complete. I was complete mid-July last year and did not receive an II until end of January this year. Sit tight, then send an update letter if you haven't heard from them in a few months.

Now back to studying...the struggle is real :bang:

It's still really soon after you were complete. I was complete mid-July last year and did not receive an II until end of January this year. Sit tight, then send an update letter if you haven't heard from them in a few months.

Now back to studying...the struggle is real :bang:

If you don't mind my asking, what were your stats? I was complete July 2nd, I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.23 sGPA, 33 MCAT (9PS,10VR,14BS) and I've heard nothing since the complete email. I feel like I should get an interview here, think they just aren't going in order?

If you don't mind my asking, what were your stats? I was complete July 2nd, I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.23 sGPA, 33 MCAT (9PS,10VR,14BS) and I've heard nothing since the complete email. I feel like I should get an interview here, think they just aren't going in order?
I'll PM you my stats.

Also, I think statements like "I feel like I should get an interview" come off as entitled. The admissions process is a crapshoot, there are people with great stats who are rejected all the time.

A strong MCAT does not compensate for a poor GPA. CCOM's average gpa matriculant has a 3.6. I'm telling you this because @RavenclawMed is right. Dont ever be like "I should get an interview".

I did not mean to come off as entitled, what I meant is that I think I am a competitive candidate

I did not mean to come off as entitled, what I meant is that I think I am a competitive candidate

science GPA is low at all D.O schools. Couple that with poor ECs and your not as competitive as you think you are.

On the bright side, your MCAT is great. You'll meet success somewhere. CCOM is harder to get into, so it can be a "crap-shoot"

Just relax. They are likely pulling together the well-rounded applicants first (your not w/ that GPA..at CCOM at least). Then they will probably pull the next set of competitive applicants which will probably include you

science GPA is low at all D.O schools. Couple that with poor ECs and your not as competitive as you think you are.

On the bright side, your MCAT is great. You'll meet success somewhere. CCOM is harder to get into, so it can be a "crap-shoot"

Yeah I know my sGPA is going to hurt me, however I do have pretty good ECs (300+ hrs volunteering, extensive clinical research with presentations including one at a medical conference, plenty of shadowing) so I don't think that will be my downfall.
But yeah, I'm definitely leaning on my MCAT

Yeah I know my sGPA is going to hurt me, however I do have pretty good ECs (300+ hrs volunteering, extensive clinical research with presentations including one at a medical conference, plenty of shadowing) so I don't think that will be my downfall.
But yeah, I'm definitely leaning on my MCAT

You'll be good at the old-5 schools. I do think they are pulling together the "perfect" applicants first in terms of numbers. Those pre-requisite classes are important, and they'd probably want a 3.6 cGPA + 3.6sGPA + 30 mcat as their top selections. Think of it this way, I have a 3.7sGPA and 3.7cGPA w/ straight A's in pre-reqs + 504 MCAT (composite inbetween 27-28)..Your MCAT may be awesome but your coupled with applicants like me because lets face it, there is a big difference between even a 3.4 and 3.7 and especially a 3.2 sGPA and 3.7 sGPA. GPA is a good indicator of how hard you will be studying. I could of studied for the MCAT more than you, and still of done worse due to verbal development throughout childhood, test anxiety, or your name it. The MCAT is one day of results. GPA is four years. Don't expect anything. CCOM is one of the most competitive D.O schools, and like M.D schools, there is no guarantee

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You'll be good at the old-5 schools. I do think they are pulling together the "perfect" applicants first in terms of numbers. Those pre-requisite classes are important, and they'd probably want a 3.6 cGPA + 3.6sGPA + 30 mcat as their top selections. Think of it this way, I have a 3.7sGPA and 3.7cGPA w/ straight A's in pre-reqs + 504 MCAT (composite inbetween 27-28)..Your MCAT may be awesome but your coupled with applicants like me because lets face it, there is a big difference between even a 3.4 and 3.7 and especially a 3.2 sGPA and 3.7 sGPA. GPA is a good indicator of how hard you will be studying. I could of studied for the MCAT more than you, and still of done worse due to verbal development throughout childhood, test anxiety, or your name it. The MCAT is one day of results. GPA is four years. Don't expect anything. CCOM is one of the most competitive D.O schools, and like M.D schools, there is no guarantee

Which do you mean by the "old-5" schools?

Which do you mean by the "old-5" schools?

CCOM is an old 5 school. That is, D.O schools who have been around for a century or close to it. These schools are generally well-established and very competitive. You are competitive for the hardest schools to get into for D.O w/ that MCAT

CCOM is an old 5 school. That is, D.O schools who have been around for a century or close to it. These schools are generally well-established and very competitive. You are competitive for the hardest schools to get into for D.O w/ that MCAT

Ah okay thanks!

How long did it take to get interviews after secondary was submitted/processed?

i'm waiting too, i sent mine from aamc on 8/10 and am hoping it'll be done in a week or so. if not i'll probably call AACOMAS next week and see if i can hurry along the process.
Thanks. My scores were finally marked as received today. I'm hoping they do the same for your soon.