Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Questions from last year. Hopefully they do not change too much.

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 chars)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 chars)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information: Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned); Employment History ;Medically related work and volunteer experiences; College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities; Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities; Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Does anyone know how important it is for Midwestern to have a DO letter of recommendation? I have an MD, but do I need to shadow/get one from a DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how important it is for Midwestern to have a DO letter of recommendation? I have an MD, but do I need to shadow/get one from a DO?
I would recommend it. It's not a definite requirement, but you will likely be asked if you shadowed a DO during the interview. Even if you don't get a letter from a DO, shadowing would be a good idea so you can have a good answer to that question

I would recommend it. It's not a definite requirement, but you will likely be asked if you shadowed a DO during the interview. Even if you don't get a letter from a DO, shadowing would be a good idea so you can have a good answer to that question

Yeah, I work in a medical office with a DO, and I can try to shadow him. But I have shadowed this MD for hundreds of hours already, and I feel like her recommendation would be a lot stronger than if I shadowed with a DO just to do it. I will definitely try to shadow a DO to get some experience, thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Yeah, I work in a medical office with a DO, and I can try to shadow him. But I have shadowed this MD for hundreds of hours already, and I feel like her recommendation would be a lot stronger than if I shadowed with a DO just to do it. I will definitely try to shadow a DO to get some experience, thanks for the advice!
Oh ok cool. You're welcome. That's perfect. They really just want to see that you had some interaction with a DO. I would send the MD letter for sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just submitted. This school is a long shot for me based on my stats but hopefully applying early works in my favor.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand that Midwestern requires 1 letter from science faculty and 1 from and MD or DO, but does that mean they have a strict 2 letter limit, if you're sending individuals?

If you are organizing your letters through AACOMAS then all letters submitted through AACOMAS will go to all schools that you designate. I think CCOM probably has a 2 letter minimum.

Just submitted. This school is a long shot for me based on my stats but hopefully applying early works in my favor.
Dont hold back just because of your stats. Other aspects of your application may still be very strong. Applying early was a great decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Dont hold back just because of your stats. Other aspects of your application may still be very strong. Applying early was a great decision!

You are right. The only thing that stinks about applying this early is that schools will not get back to me for another month (or more). I have started pre-writing some secondaries but thankfully I am still taking classes right now (otherwise I would be trolling this site 24/7 :D).

You are right. The only thing that stinks about applying this early is that schools will not get back to me for another month (or more). I have started pre-writing some secondaries but thankfully I am still taking classes right now (otherwise I would be trolling this site 24/7 :D).
Dont troll on this site. Will only cause frustration. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For the resume/CV, are you guys listing the same activity multiple times if it belongs in multiple sections or just the most relevant section?

Questions from last year. Hopefully they do not change too much.

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 chars)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 chars)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information: Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned); Employment History ;Medically related work and volunteer experiences; College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities; Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities; Hobbies and nonacademic interests
Yup, just verified that the questions have stayed exactly the same
@AlteredScale

For the resume/CV, are you guys listing the same activity multiple times if it belongs in multiple sections or just the most relevant section?
What makes sense to me is to only put a given activity on there once under whatever section is most relevant. I feel like they'll be able to tell from a description or from common sense if something also applies elsewhere.

Would you guys mind posting the secondary questions, please?

You should just list the activity once

Secondary received as well!

Just got a secondary too!! Is it typically advised that we submit this within a week?

Hey guys! Have one question

Does anyone know if CCOM accepts updates after submitting secondary?

I have the minimum requirements for LORs (1Prof/1MD) but wanted to supply this school with another professor and a DO letter I have coming in the next month.

Just got a secondary too!! Is it typically advised that we submit this within a week?

Within two weeks is probably recommended. Don't rush, but don't slack :p

Hey guys! Have one question

Does anyone know if CCOM accepts updates after submitting secondary?

I have the minimum requirements for LORs (1Prof/1MD) but wanted to supply this school with another professor and a DO letter I have coming in the next month.

Yep they definitely accept/encourage updates throughout the cycle. You may want to "save" something to update after a few months if you're still waiting to hear, instead of sending in everything right away.

Does it say that your MCAT score is not received for you guys? I thought AACOMAS was supposed to send it along with the primary application (assuming the application has already been verified).

Does it say that your MCAT score is not received for you guys? I thought AACOMAS was supposed to send it along with the primary application (assuming the application has already been verified).

No I've a check mark and the latest version of my mcat posted

You might wanna give them a call on Monday

Would anyone be willing to critique my response to prompt #1?

Same thing with me! I think AACOMAS hasn't received our MCAT scores from AAMC. I'd give AACOMAS a call first to see if they have received your official MCAT score or not.

Same thing with me! I think AACOMAS hasn't received our MCAT scores from AAMC. I'd give AACOMAS a call first to see if they have received your official MCAT score or not.

That is my plan first thing Monday. Thank you!

Everything is listed as received for me except for the physician LoR. Do I have to send that separately from my committee letter that was sent to AACOMAS? I'm pretty sure it's included in that.

Everything is listed as received for me except for the physician LoR. Do I have to send that separately from my committee letter that was sent to AACOMAS? I'm pretty sure it's included in that.

I asked a couple schools that question. They said if your committee includes all your individual letters as an addenda, you don't have to resend. That'd be repetitive.

I asked a couple schools that question. They said if your committee includes all your individual letters as an addenda, you don't have to resend. That'd be repetitive.

Ah perfect. So I'll just ignore the X that's next to the physician LoR. Thanks!

did anyone else receive a second email from admissions this morning?

I did and I thought it was really weird that it was sent at 3am this morning lol.

To clarify, if I have my letters uploaded on AACOMAS, and it says they haven't received them on the portal, I should be okay right? It says to allow up to 2 weeks to process application materials.

What makes sense to me is to only put a given activity on there once under whatever section is most relevant. I feel like they'll be able to tell from a description or from common sense if something also applies elsewhere.
How much detail did you put on the description? Just enumerated your job function/ what you did or more details than that?

Would anyone be willing to critique my response to prompt #1?
The list of osteopathic physicians in your family? If you mean the "Why CCOM?" I don't mind taking a look at it.

Also, is it better to submit the secondary app even if I'm still waiting on LORs, or just submit them at the same time?

To clarify, if I have my letters uploaded on AACOMAS, and it says they haven't received them on the portal, I should be okay right? It says to allow up to 2 weeks to process application materials.
I just submitted my letters and don't expect to hear anything for atleast another week.

I wonder if we will get an email conformation

I just submitted my letters and don't expect to hear anything for atleast another week.

I wonder if we will get an email conformation

I would assume so! Thanks for the response.

Also, is it better to submit the secondary app even if I'm still waiting on LORs, or just submit them at the same time?

I'm curious about this too(I'm still waiting on my Physician LOR)

edit:I mistakenly wrote this here---I thought I was writing this in AZCOM sorry! lack of sleep

Last edited:
I have an MD letter now, but I have a DO letter coming by July 1st. I'm debating whether to submit now and just send the DO LOR as an update

I would suggest just submitting if you are satisfied with the document. If you are utilizing infer folio or AACOMAS, the letters of recommendation are electronic.

So it will take longer for them to confirm your supplementary than for them to receive an electronic document.