Midwestern University College of Veterinary Medicine (MWU-CVM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Such a waste of $100 million that could be used for something actually needed in AZ... Or nationally...

Last edited:
Such a waste of $100 million that could be used for something actually needed in TN... Or nationally...

:confused:

Midwestern University is in AZ....

Not sure the reason behind this thread though, since there is already another thread addressing this and the other new vet schools that are being built.

:confused:

Midwestern University is in AZ....

Not sure the reason behind this thread though, since there is already another thread addressing this and the other new vet schools that are being built.
Whoops sorry. I guess I confused it with LMU. Same thing though.

I know a lot of people are super annoyed by MWU vet schools soon to be existence, but I for one am super excited! Since the day I found out.

But hey, maybe everyones disdain towards it gives me a better chance :p

I know a lot of people are super annoyed by MWU vet schools soon to be existence, but I for one am super excited! Since the day I found out.

But hey, maybe everyones disdain towards it gives me a better chance :p

Of getting in... not of getting a job at the other end. :(

There's always Banfield :p Lol

Not if all the grads coming out now are taking those jobs. Also, if accreditation processes from high schools are anything like those for vet school, you have to have so many classes graduate and get job placements to be accredited. Though I'm not sure it works that way. It wouldn't be my first choice to go to an unaccredited school when it first opens. There are way too many kinks to be worked out when slight changes are made to a curriculum, let alone a whole new school and curriculum. The school was created to attract rural vets to the middle-of-nowhere places in AZ. Why not just offer more WICHE funding for students who want to go into large animal medicine? Just my two cents on the whole thing.

Edit: sounds like accreditation works in a similar way. Good luck to anyone who really wants to go there.

I definitely agree there are some major kinks that need to be worked out for both Lincoln Memorial and Midwestern...the big issue of accreditation being first on nearly everyones' minds. I figured I'd cast a line and email both schools a few questions I had about pre-reqs (since I did the same for a few other schools) and see how or even IF they responded. I have to say I was a bit concerned from the start when the majority of both schools' faculty/staff did not have contact info listed next to their name on their websites. I realize they're new schools, but they're part of VMCAS like all the others and should at least have their websites updated. I was a bit surprised I heard back from Midwestern within a day and the one dean I emailed told me he couldn't help me, but he was redirecting my question to another dean. I heard back from this new guy the following day, and I have to say I was happy with his response...very personable. That means a lot to me. Lincoln on the other hand has yet to respond to my email and it's been 5 days now. That doesn't send a good message. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be nice if no one did. That would certainly send a message to the AVMA. :smuggrin:

If only...

We all know that it will probably be easy finding people to fill these news slots. Imagine the message that is going to send?

If you build them, they will come....

This thread is so sad. So easily people forget the reason for being in the field: the health, happiness, and well being of animals. It seems as though jealousy and bitterness has taken over. People are so worried about new vet schools and for one reason or another they are in defense mode. The industry will continue to grow. If this is your passion you'd be hoping for the best rather than acting like the mean girls of veterinary medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is so sad. So easily people forget the reason for being in the field: the health, happiness, and well being of animals. It seems as though jealousy and bitterness has taken over. People are so worried about new vet schools and for one reason or another they are in defense mode. The industry will continue to grow. If this is your passion you'd be hoping for the best rather than acting like the mean girls of veterinary medicine.

The industry will continue to grow, yes. More people will apply for and graduate vet school. There will be more and more veterinarians graduating in an already saturated field. Just because the number of veterinarians graduating each year grows bigger does not mean the industry is growing. We are doing a disservice to the profession.

Secondly, "hoping for the best" is taking the, "I will put on my rose-colored sunglasses and ignore the issues at hand and just pray everything goes well" approach. Do you really think that is a good idea? Do you really think it is good to just take a back seat to your own life and finances? Being proactive is a good thing. Doing research on what you are getting into is highly recommended.

There is a difference between realism, negativity and being optimistic. Take a look around here. Look at the people posting who have recently graduated vet school and say they are struggling to pay back loans. Look at the people who have been in and a part of the profession for years who are posting what they are seeing happening to the profession. This isn't a "mean girls" situation. This is a realistic view of what is happening to the veterinary profession. Jobs are hard to find, loans are increasing, the market is getting more saturated, more vets are graduating each year making jobs even harder to find.

As a profession, we should care about the people who join us. We should care that they can make it. We should care that they are not drowning in so much debt that it is hard for them to realize why they joined the profession in the first place. We need to address issues that the profession as a whole has and not put on blinders and only view our own little world and how well we are doing or not doing as part of this profession. Part of becoming a veterinarian is to better the profession as a whole. Many students and recent graduates are realizing that the profession is not in a good situation. Those of us stating our observations and the truth that new schools and increased class sizes are only shooting the profession in the foot have been around the block a few times. We have seen how the debt impacts our friends. We have seen how and met the vets that are working 2-3 jobs and 80 hours a week to attempt to make it. We have seen our friends on here struggle to find a job. This is reality. Yeah, it sucks, yes it is hard to swallow, but it is far from being a "mean girl". It is humorous though to see new people on this forum tell the vets and vet students who have been through this that they are being "mean" when they are just being realistic and maybe, just maybe this is the first time you are hearing about this issue and it has scared you to see what the truth of the matter is.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not insulting the reality of it all, I'm questioning the route in which most of you choose to relay your message. If you've been around the block a few times don't you feel that it's also a disservice to the profession to make passive aggressive comments to new people on here who are innocently asking questions and pursuing their dreams the best they know how? Tell them about your friends. Tell them about a saturated profession and long work weeks with scarce pay. Fine. But you were young and clueless once. There was a time where you knew nothing of the field but your passion. the financial stability of it all was once a foreign concept to you as well. So no, I don't want to put on my rose colored glasses and let the profession go down in flames. I want those of you who claim to be wiser and more knowledgeable to learn how to say things instead of addressing these issues in a way that seems more bitter and out of rank.

I'm not insulting the reality of it all, I'm questioning the route in which most of you choose to relay your message. If you've been around the block a few times don't you feel that it's also a disservice to the profession to make passive aggressive comments to new people on here who are innocently asking questions and pursuing their dreams the best they know how? Tell them about your friends. Tell them about a saturated profession and long work weeks with scarce pay. Fine. But you were young and clueless once. There was a time where you knew nothing of the field but your passion. the financial stability of it all was once a foreign concept to you as well. So no, I don't want to put on my rose colored glasses and let the profession go down in flames. I want those of you who claim to be wiser and more knowledgeable to learn how to say things instead of addressing these issues in a way that seems more bitter and out of rank.

You dig up an old thread to post this.

First of all, this thread was started because it was yet another new vet school. The purpose behind the thread was in discussing new vet schools and their impact. You are missing the entire point of the thread.

Second of all, you come here and post a passive aggressive comment to a group of people who have been around this forum for a long time. A group of people who go out of their way to give advice, help and guidance to pre-vets. A group of people who in many, many other threads have explained, in detail and very politely the circumstances surrounding the profession. Not just once, not just twice, but numerous times. These threads come up constantly and we are all here explaining to people what is going on and how things are developing.

Third of all, you did NOT come in here and "innocently ask a question", you came here and posted rather blatantly rude remarks to a group of people who are nothing but helpful in every aspect and happen to have a thread here or there that involves rolling their eyes over yet another new vet school or class size increase.

Maybe you need to take a step back and evaluate how you are coming across. Also, no one was passive aggressive about their thoughts here, I think people were rather blunt and straightforward about their opinions.

I think you would do some good to explore these forums more before you start attacking a group of people that are very helpful, nice and will go out of their way to provide information to applicants or to even read through personal statements in their own time.

I want those of you who claim to be wiser and more knowledgeable to learn how to say things instead of addressing these issues in a way that seems more bitter and out of rank.

I want new members to spend at least a full day exploring the forums to figure out what the people here are like and what the people here are really about before they go demanding that we do anything. My job isn't to make sure you aren't butt hurt at the end of the day. My job is to be realistic and honest, sometimes the truth hurts. It isn't about you or against you and it isn't personal. It is honesty coming across in these posts, don't take it personally, read it more like an article or a bunch of mini-articles in one area. Nobody is bashing anyone. Nobody is being rude to anyone. There is a difference between reality and someone being mean and I think you are confusing the two.

ETA: Also to add in, you need to grow some thicker skin. This might seem "mean" but when it comes time for you to be in vet school or clinics during vet school or internships or residency (if you choose those routes) it will help you tremendously. If you think we are mean, then you will be shocked to see how some of the professors and vets in clinics can be. Their job is for you to learn and they will yell at you and mock you and not tell you "politely" that you are just flat out wrong, professors have called people stupid and idiots before. So, thick skin is needed in this profession. You need to be able to let comments that really are "rude" to just slide and keep on going.

You dig up an old thread to post this.

First of all, this thread was started because it was yet another new vet school. The purpose behind the thread was in discussing new vet schools and their impact. You are missing the entire point of the thread.

Second of all, you come here and post a passive aggressive comment to a group of people who have been around this forum for a long time. A group of people who go out of their way to give advice, help and guidance to pre-vets. A group of people who in many, many other threads have explained, in detail and very politely the circumstances surrounding the profession. Not just once, not just twice, but numerous times. These threads come up constantly and we are all here explaining to people what is going on and how things are developing.

Third of all, you did NOT come in here and "innocently ask a question", you came here and posted rather blatantly rude remarks to a group of people who are nothing but helpful in every aspect and happen to have a thread here or there that involves rolling their eyes over yet another new vet school or class size increase.

Maybe you need to take a step back and evaluate how you are coming across. Also, no one was passive aggressive about their thoughts here, I think people were rather blunt and straightforward about their opinions.

I think you would do some good to explore these forums more before you start attacking a group of people that are very helpful, nice and will go out of their way to provide information to applicants or to even read through personal statements in their own time.

I wasn't referring to myself when I mentioned innocently asking a question. I was referring to the many threads I've seen regarding mwu and lmu with responses that were anything but helpful. I apologize if I have geared most of the back end of it toward this thread, however, even though I have only just registered today I've been reading and exploring these forums for weeks. Lastly, I didn't dig up an old thread to start trouble lol, I searched keywords for midwestern because I'm exploring a handful of schools right now and educating myself on all aspects of my possibilities.

I wasn't referring to myself when I mentioned innocently asking a question. I was referring to the many threads I've seen regarding mwu and lmu with responses that were anything but helpful. I apologize if I have geared most of the back end of it toward this thread, however, even though I have only just registered today I've been reading and exploring these forums for weeks. Lastly, I didn't dig up an old thread to start trouble lol, I searched keywords for midwestern because I'm exploring a handful of schools right now and educating myself on all aspects of my possibilities.

If you are looking into midwestern university, try the thread from last year's class.... which is here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/midwestern-university-c-o-2018-applicants.1036312/

People who applied there last year will be able to be helpful in questions about that school.

If you are applying for class of 2019, just post in the general c/o 2019 applicants thread. It should be on the front page still.

I have heard from people that the school at midwestern is actually turning out really nice. They have a hospital with a barn and everything being built. Check out their website, you can see the construction.

Because those schools are anything but helpful to the saturated profession as a whole.

The economics of veterinary medicine have been discussed at length in many threads. There is plenty of wonderful advice given there. Judging the members of this community on a few angry (and for good reason) posts is unfair. Look, pretty much everyone here is helpful and always have been. I have been a member of this forum for 8+ years, since back when I was a little pre-vet. Do we get annoyed when people fail to see what we are trying to tell them? Of course. Do we get angry when we see a profession we love being diluted, saturated, and being driven into the ground financially and "number-wise"? Of course. My advice is akin to what DVMD said. Thicker skin, and look for the reasoning behind said comments, as well as all of the other very reasonable advice given here.

We are all VERY passionate here. To the outside observer, this may come across as disillusionment. But it is our love of this field that causes us too react in such a way. To spread the word that many aspects of veterinary education need to be majorly revamped to avert financial collapse.

I want new members to spend at least a full day exploring the forums to figure out what the people here are like and what the people here are really about before they go demanding that we do anything. My job isn't to make sure you aren't butt hurt at the end of the day. My job is to be realistic and honest, sometimes the truth hurts. It isn't about you or against you and it isn't personal. It is honesty coming across in these posts, don't take it personally, read it more like an article or a bunch of mini-articles in one area. Nobody is bashing anyone. Nobody is being rude to anyone. There is a difference between reality and someone being mean and I think you are confusing the two.

ETA: Also to add in, you need to grow some thicker skin. This might seem "mean" but when it comes time for you to be in vet school or clinics during vet school or internships or residency (if you choose those routes) it will help you tremendously. If you think we are mean, then you will be shocked to see how some of the professors and vets in clinics can be. Their job is for you to learn and they will yell at you and mock you and not tell you "politely" that you are just flat out wrong, professors have called people stupid and idiots before. So, thick skin is needed in this profession. You need to be able to let comments that really are "rude" to just slide and keep on going.

Although I have only just registered today, I've been viewing the forums for weeks. I apologize if you feel I've personally attacked you by posting my opinion in this particular thread, but I had been searching for info on midwestern and this is what came up first and I used it as an outlet. Like I stated earlier my reasoning for it is wishing you'd use your knowledge in a more approachable way. Not for myself. For younger individuals who look up to experienced students and vets for help and advice. Are they in for a rude awakening? Of course. But it doesn't need to happen on sdn.

When I said mean girls it was more of a joking comparison than anything. You act as if I'm a child stomping to my room and calling you mean. I'm 25 years old with a bachelor's degree. I have several years of teaching unruly 5th grade children from low income, underprivileged homes in the middle of the ghetto under my belt. My skin doesn't need thickening.

I volunteered at upenn vet hospital for a semester where I did laundry and cleaned ****. I've been a full time tech now for a bit over a year. I'm well aware that this field isn't puppies and sunsets.

All I was simply saying was maybe you could rethink your presentation.

Last edited:
Because those schools are anything but helpful to the saturated profession as a whole.

The economics of veterinary medicine have been discussed at length in many threads. There is plenty of wonderful advice given there. Judging the members of this community on a few angry (and for good reason) posts is unfair. Look, pretty much everyone here is helpful and always have been. I have been a member of this forum for 8+ years, since back when I was a little pre-vet. Do we get annoyed when people fail to see what we are trying to tell them? Of course. Do we get angry when we see a profession we love being diluted, saturated, and being driven into the ground financially and "number-wise"? Of course. My advice is akin to what DVMD said. Thicker skin, and look for the reasoning behind said comments, as well as all of the other very reasonable advice given here.[

See the post I just wrote to Dvmd

Although I have only just registered today, I've been viewing the forums for weeks. I apologize if you feel I've personally attacked you by posting my opinion in this particular thread, but I had been searching for info on midwestern and this is what came up first and I used it as an outlet. Like I stated earlier my reasoning for it is wishing you'd use your knowledge in a more approachable way. Not for myself. For younger individuals who look up to experienced students and vets for help and advice. Are they in for a rude awakening? Of course. But it doesn't need to happen on sdn.

When I said mean girls it was more of a joking comparison than anything. You act as if I'm a child stomping to my room and calling you mean. I'm 25 years old with a bachelor's degree. I have several years of teaching unruly 5th grade children from low income, underprivileged homes in the middle of the ghetto. My skin doesn't need thickening.

I volunteered at upenn vet hospital for a semester where I basically did laundry and cleaned ****. I've been a full time tech now for a bit over a year. I'm well aware that this field isn't puppies and sunsets.

My presentation is fine. You've looked at this forum for a few weeks found this thread that hit a nerve with you for whatever reason. For this one thread that people released some frustration over the situation there are 100 other threads of people being super encouraging and helpful. Bottom line, you are new here and need to do some looking around before you tell anyone how they should do things or present things. There is nothing more irritating than a new member coming in here and demanding us to be all roses, daisies, rainbows and puppy dog kisses when they really do not know what they are talking about or just how much the members here go out of their way to help.

I do have to disagree, I think that SDN is the right place to get "a rude awakening." Many colleges and vet schools paint the picture of "95% of our grads find jobs after graduation" and people think it's peachy keen after that. But it's not. I'd rather know the full scope of what I'm getting myself into, and if my dreams need to be knocked down a few pegs then so be it. I know that SDN and the people here offer great support, because essentially we're all in the same boat, or at least have been through this process and have come out the other end.

And yes, your skin does need thickening if you thought posts in this thread were bad. I'd like to see you tell a professor he needs to rethink his presentation when he calls a student's thoughts stupid or calls them a *****.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are looking into midwestern university, try the thread from last year's class.... which is here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/midwestern-university-c-o-2018-applicants.1036312/

People who applied there last year will be able to be helpful in questions about that school.

If you are applying for class of 2019, just post in the general c/o 2019 applicants thread. It should be on the front page still.

I have heard from people that the school at midwestern is actually turning out really nice. They have a hospital with a barn and everything being built. Check out their website, you can see the construction.

Thanks I appreciate it.

And yes, your skin does need thickening if you thought posts in this thread were bad. I'd like to see you tell a professor he needs to rethink his presentation when he calls a student's thoughts stupid or calls them a *****.

I'm going to end this ongoing battle here by apologizing for making you feel threatened on your "turf" and once again repeating my original stand point: I respect when people disagree with the new vet schools for influential reasons that could be detrimental to the welfare of the field. I do not respect when people disagree with new vet schools for more superficial reasons such as rank etc.

I'm not saying you fall into the second category...just allowing you to understand my point of view.

Stanford, eh? Nice.

I'm going to end this ongoing battle here by apologizing for making you feel threatened on your "turf" and once again repeating my original stand point: I respect when people disagree with the new vet schools for influential reasons that could be detrimental to the welfare of the field. I do not respect when people disagree with new vet schools for more superficial reasons such as rank etc.

I'm not saying you fall into the second category...just allowing you to understand my point of view.

I don't understand what you mean by rank. It is well stated on the forums here that vet school ranks mean absolutely nothing.

I don't understand what you mean by rank. It is well stated on the forums here that vet school ranks mean absolutely nothing.

I don't understand what she means either. Pretty much every negative post I have seen about new schools has to do with overpopulation of the field, overblown tuition, and concerns about clinical year/teaching hospital availability (I vaguely remember once new school was debating not having one and farming students out to local clinics instead).

No one is seriously in "defense mode" because they feel threatened by or jealous of new schools. That is laughable.

Reactions: 1 user
When I said mean girls it was more of a joking comparison than anything. You act as if I'm a child stomping to my room and calling you mean. I'm 25 years old with a bachelor's degree. I have several years of teaching unruly 5th grade children from low income, underprivileged homes in the middle of the ghetto under my belt. My skin doesn't need thickening.

I volunteered at upenn vet hospital for a semester where I did laundry and cleaned ****. I've been a full time tech now for a bit over a year. I'm well aware that this field isn't puppies and sunsets.

This just makes me think:

ADULT.gif

kieradi721, can you give examples of when you saw people hating on new schools because of rank? Or explain why you think it is about jealousy? I can assure you, it is not.

I do have to disagree, I think that SDN is the right place to get "a rude awakening." Many colleges and vet schools paint the picture of "95% of our grads find jobs after graduation" and people think it's peachy keen after that. But it's not. I'd rather know the full scope of what I'm getting myself into, and if my dreams need to be knocked down a few pegs then so be it. I know that SDN and the people here offer great support, because essentially we're all in the same boat, or at least have been through this process and have come out the other end.

Better to get it here and now than 4 years and $140,000-200,000+ later.

Hell, I WISH people had been talking about this more back when I was a prevet in the early/mid 2000s.

Last edited:
The industry will continue to grow, yes. More people will apply for and graduate vet school. There will be more and more veterinarians graduating in an already saturated field. Just because the number of veterinarians graduating each year grows bigger does not mean the industry is growing. We are doing a disservice to the profession.

Secondly, "hoping for the best" is taking the, "I will put on my rose-colored sunglasses and ignore the issues at hand and just pray everything goes well" approach. Do you really think that is a good idea? Do you really think it is good to just take a back seat to your own life and finances? Being proactive is a good thing. Doing research on what you are getting into is highly recommended.

There is a difference between realism, negativity and being optimistic. Take a look around here. Look at the people posting who have recently graduated vet school and say they are struggling to pay back loans. Look at the people who have been in and a part of the profession for years who are posting what they are seeing happening to the profession. This isn't a "mean girls" situation. This is a realistic view of what is happening to the veterinary profession. Jobs are hard to find, loans are increasing, the market is getting more saturated, more vets are graduating each year making jobs even harder to find.

As a profession, we should care about the people who join us. We should care that they can make it. We should care that they are not drowning in so much debt that it is hard for them to realize why they joined the profession in the first place. We need to address issues that the profession as a whole has and not put on blinders and only view our own little world and how well we are doing or not doing as part of this profession. Part of becoming a veterinarian is to better the profession as a whole. Many students and recent graduates are realizing that the profession is not in a good situation. Those of us stating our observations and the truth that new schools and increased class sizes are only shooting the profession in the foot have been around the block a few times. We have seen how the debt impacts our friends. We have seen how and met the vets that are working 2-3 jobs and 80 hours a week to attempt to make it. We have seen our friends on here struggle to find a job. This is reality. Yeah, it sucks, yes it is hard to swallow, but it is far from being a "mean girl". It is humorous though to see new people on this forum tell the vets and vet students who have been through this that they are being "mean" when they are just being realistic and maybe, just maybe this is the first time you are hearing about this issue and it has scared you to see what the truth of the matter is.

Omg the whole time I was reading this I was like preach quuuurl preaaach! Almost screamed in my lecture hall lol.

Coming from a prospective vet student thank you for being brutally honest. I hate when people sugar coat things.

Last edited: