Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeagleLvr32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This will be my second time applying here...still "technically" on the waitlist, but filling out vmcas again. Anyone else choosing MWU?! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying here! From what I've read on forums from the past, it seems like a great school.

From what I understand, Midwestern has provisional accreditation. Does anyone have an idea on will this will change?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, Midwestern has provisional accreditation. Does anyone have an idea on will this will change?

MWU will be up for full accreditation once their first class graduates! Students that attend and graduate from Midwestern will have the same degree and still be doctors just like students from any other accredited school.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied and received an interview offer! Will be interviewing on September 7th. Warning though, they only days they had for interviews where Wednesdays so I have to miss most of my classes for the week :nailbiting: Hopefully thats not the case for everyone!

Will update everyone with my experience afterwards. Good luck to you all, hopefully we will be classmates next fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Wow that was fast! Congrats on the interview! When did you submit your application? I just submitted mine this past week

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied and received an interview offer! Will be interviewing on September 7th. Warning though, they only days they had for interviews where Wednesdays so I have to miss most of my classes for the week :nailbiting: Hopefully thats not the case for everyone!

Will update everyone with my experience afterwards. Good luck to you all, hopefully we will be classmates next fall!

My interview was on a Tuesday, so I flew out after class on Monday and flew home Tuesday night so I only missed a day of class! Good luck!!

I believe the first class is expected to graduate in 2018, so I believe that is when it will be determined by their NAVLE scores.

Wow! Congrats!

I am applying here as well. The only interview dates for the whole interview process are going to be on Wednesday's? Hmm...that is unfortunate since I would have to miss class :( What times do they offer them do you know?

Wow! Congrats!

I am applying here as well. The only interview dates for the whole interview process are going to be on Wednesday's? Hmm...that is unfortunate since I would have to miss class :( What times do they offer them do you know?
If I remember correctly and assuming they haven't changed from last year-- Interview day you are expected to arrive around 7am and it goes until about 2pm. It also includes a tour, lunch, meeting with students, etc. The interview portion is all finished in the morning.

If I remember correctly and assuming they haven't changed from last year-- Interview day you are expected to arrive around 7am and it goes until about 2pm. It also includes a tour, lunch, meeting with students, etc. The interview portion is all finished in the morning.

Ok this is good, thank you!

Yep thats what they told me. You start at 7 with the interview, have a tour and have lunch there and are finished around 2. You could probably fly out afterwards if you needed to! I just decided to stay and extra day because I have family in Arizona.

There is no supplemental application or fee for Midwestern, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invitation this morning! I submitted my application last Thursday. The available interview dates were all Wednesdays: 9/7, 9/14, and 9/21

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if there will be interview dates in December or early January? That way I wouldn't have to miss class (since the interviews are on Wednesdays)..

I just submitted my application! They are already sending out interviews??

I just submitted my application! They are already sending out interviews??
Midwestern has rolling admissions. Generally, the earlier you submit your VMCAS, the earlier you'll be interviewed. They accept a small handful of people from each interview group.

I'm waiting for one more evaluator to submit a letter so that my application can be verified!! I hope they submit it soon! Otherwise I'm submitted and waiting :arghh:

Your application can be verified before your evaluations are submitted

Does anyone know if there will be interview dates in December or early January? That way I wouldn't have to miss class (since the interviews are on Wednesdays)..
If the interview dates are the same as the last three years, they will offer interviews into March. I personally interviewed early January.

I am also applying this is my first time ever and I am super nervous! I am taking my GRE Sep 2nd but I was going to submit my application now. Will most schools wait until my GRE scores come in to offer an interview?

I am also applying this is my first time ever and I am super nervous! I am taking my GRE Sep 2nd but I was going to submit my application now. Will most schools wait until my GRE scores come in to offer an interview?
Yes that is correct

Hey all! I am fairly new to SDN and this my first time applying! Are you guys IS or OOS?
Also, does anyone know Midwestern's format for interviews? Do they do MMI'S or?

As far as I know Midwestern doesn't give IS preference or a tuition break since it's private.
I know :) I was just curious to know if the majority of the people on SDN applying to MWU were IS or OOS lol

Has anyone else gotten a link to open up an account yet?

I got one in my email today :D

Same here! I got one saying the application is complete a few days ago, and just got the one to create an account a few minutes ago. Hopefully our interview invites are just around the corner!!

I just got one also! I'm so excited about MWU! I love Arizona

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how much hands-on experience Midwestern gives? I had another question as well..is anyone concerned about them not being accredited yet?
Thanks everyone!

Does anyone know how much hands-on experience Midwestern gives? I had another question as well..is anyone concerned about them not being accredited yet?
Thanks everyone!

A LOT. There are opportunities for you to complete cat neuters your first year, and you can volunteer with the mobile clinic any time! We haven't even started school yet and I've already given a ton of vaccines, microchips, and physical exams on cats and dogs with the mobile clinic (after the doctor taught me of course)! We also start surgery our second year and can go on public outreach trips to do surgeries for local Native American communities (the second years last year went on one and one of my friends got to do 15 surgeries in 5 days, as a second year). We also have a class each quarter called "practice of veterinary medicine" - PVM for short. We will be putting our hands on animals during this class, learning practical skills, physical exams, etc. as soon as our first week. Not only that, but I just partook in a pathology lecture thing where we got to put our hands on the organs of certain medical cases, and talk through how the pathologist diagnoses what happened. There is a TON of hands on experience at Midwestern.

Accredidation: as far as the AVMA is concerned, we are as fully accredited as possible as of now. You can't be completely accredited until the first class graduates, and that won't be for 2 more years. We've gotten reasonably assured by the AVMA that accreditation will be granted, as long as things stay awesome. It doesn't really matter on a personal level though, we will still be veterinarians upon graduation just like everyone else... The students aren't affected by this, but the university is.

I LOVE my school so much already, and if you have any more questions please feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 4 users
A LOT. There are opportunities for you to complete cat neuters your first year, and you can volunteer with the mobile clinic any time! We haven't even started school yet and I've already given a ton of vaccines, microchips, and physical exams on cats and dogs with the mobile clinic (after the doctor taught me of course)! We also start surgery our second year and can go on public outreach trips to do surgeries for local Native American communities (the second years last year went on one and one of my friends got to do 15 surgeries in 5 days, as a second year). We also have a class each quarter called "practice of veterinary medicine" - PVM for short. We will be putting our hands on animals during this class, learning practical skills, physical exams, etc. as soon as our first week. Not only that, but I just partook in a pathology lecture thing where we got to put our hands on the organs of certain medical cases, and talk through how the pathologist diagnoses what happened. There is a TON of hands on experience at Midwestern.

Accredidation: as far as the AVMA is concerned, we are as fully accredited as possible as of now. You can't be completely accredited until the first class graduates, and that won't be for 2 more years. We've gotten reasonably assured by the AVMA that accreditation will be granted, as long as things stay awesome. It doesn't really matter on a personal level though, we will still be veterinarians upon graduation just like everyone else... The students aren't affected by this, but the university is.

I LOVE my school so much already, and if you have any more questions please feel free to PM me!

Wow, thank you so much for your response! This is great information!

I really appreciate your writing and letting me know this. I am sure it will help others too! This sounds really great. I am applying and I just wanted a bit more information, so I could know what the school offers since it's not very clear on their website.

Thank you so much! If I have any other questions I will let you know!

Reactions: 1 users
Guys! Check your portals under "interview scheduling"! I didn't get an email about an interview yet, but it showed up on my portal and was able to pick a day!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Guys! Check your portals under "interview scheduling"! I didn't get an email about an interview yet, but it showed up on my portal and was able to pick a day!!!

Me too me too!! :claps: Which day are you going?

I don't think that I ever actually got an email notifying me of an interview offer last year... I would try to check the portal every day and keep an eye out for it!

Congrats to those who've gotten interviews already! Though I'm not a current student, I was actually pretty surprised by how nice Midwestern is when I went :)

Current students: How is the interview? What kind of questions do they ask, how does the interview flow? I can't find anything online!

How soon did you all hear about potential interview offers after Midwestern receiving your whole application? :)

How soon did you all hear about potential interview offers after Midwestern receiving your whole application? :)

Mine took 2 weeks start to finish. I submitted on 8/15 and got an email saying my application was complete on 8/23, then had an interview offer yesterday.

Mine took 2 weeks start to finish. I submitted on 8/15 and got an email saying my application was complete on 8/23, then had an interview offer yesterday.

Thanks! I got the email that everything got to them Monday. Crossing my fingers!

Does anyone know if we submit our app soon (like within the next few days), and get an interview, will we have choices over different months? It looks like people on here only got ones from one month.. I am just worried since I have class every day all day and would have to miss class :( I definitely don't want to.

Does anyone know if we submit our app soon (like within the next few days), and get an interview, will we have choices over different months? It looks like people on here only got ones from one month.. I am just worried since I have class every day all day and would have to miss class :( I definitely don't want to.
If I remember correctly from when I applied, I had the choice between two different Wednesdays...? But they were both definitely during the same month. Maybe there wasn't actually a choice; I've got anatomy brain and it's hard to think, haha.

I did end up missing about three days of class due to travel but it worked out okay. Just make sure your professors know in advance, especially if you've got a test scheduled during that time. In my experience, they're really good about working with students and rescheduling things when it comes to professional school interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly from when I applied, I had the choice between two different Wednesdays...? But they were both definitely during the same month. Maybe there wasn't actually a choice; I've got anatomy brain and it's hard to think, haha.

I did end up missing about three days of class due to travel but it worked out okay. Just make sure your professors know in advance, especially if you've got a test scheduled during that time. In my experience, they're really good about working with students and rescheduling things when it comes to professional school interviews.

Thank you SO much for your response!!

Looks like I will have to miss two or three classes..ugh! That is what I worry about since I have soo many exams this semester. I wish they had interviews on the weekends instead..