Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who interviewed October 12 been informed of acceptance? They said two weeks and its been two weeks and one day. They said a professor would personally call them upon acceptance. Do I assume I'm not accepted if I didn't get a call?

I interviewed early September, and I assume they would do it the same way they did for us... I didn't receive a call, I just kept checking on the portal and if you get accepted you will be able to see the accepted student checklist. Then a couple days later you'll get an email, and then finally you'll get a letter in the mail! I definitely wouldn't assume your not accepted if you don't get a call because I never got a call! Also, they said it wouldn't be long for us either and then it took like over a month to hear back! Don't worry!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I received an email from Midwestern a few days ago. I was waitlisted for an interview. I honestly was shocked since my application is really strong. I was wondering if you all know how fast the waitlist for interviews goes? When I called, they said there are about 325 people on the waitlist to be interviewed... :/
So is the wait list to be interviewed for the first time or do they interview the people they put on the wait list twice? Slightly confused because schools where I'm from interview like 400 people and either accept them or put them on a wait list after their interview and they don't have to come back for another interview.

I interviewed early September, and I assume they would do it the same way they did for us... I didn't receive a call, I just kept checking on the portal and if you get accepted you will be able to see the accepted student checklist. Then a couple days later you'll get an email, and then finally you'll get a letter in the mail! I definitely wouldn't assume your not accepted if you don't get a call because I never got a call! Also, they said it wouldn't be long for us either and then it took like over a month to hear back! Don't worry!!!
Ok thanks! I was stressing ha

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the wait list to be interviewed for the first time or do they interview the people they put on the wait list twice? Slightly confused because schools where I'm from interview like 400 people and either accept them or put them on a wait list after their interview and they don't have to come back for another interview.
Because Midwestern has "rolling applications" I think they put some people on the waitlist for interviews because their application was strong enough to warrant further evaluation, but they are still going through all of the other applications and doing interviews on the applications they view the "strongest" first. If those people (the strongest) are not admitted or chosen for admission, they re-evaluate the next batch along with the "waitlist for interview" applications and choose the next group for interviews and it just continues.

It is possible to be waitlisted AFTER the interview, but you don't "re-interview" if you are waitlisted after the initial interview. They just call the waitlisted people as other acceptance offers are declined. Does that make sense?

Has anyone who interviewed October 12 been informed of acceptance? They said two weeks and its been two weeks and one day. They said a professor would personally call them upon acceptance. Do I assume I'm not accepted if I didn't get a call?
Don't ever assume anything....you are fine until you hear one way or the other.

Ok thanks! I was stressing ha

I actually never got an email OR phone call- I noticed the change on my portal and finally yesterday received my official letter. Don't worry yet! it took me over a month to hear. You can also give them a call in another week or 2 if you haven't heard. They're super nice and helpful!

Call the admissions office! They'll let you know your status :)

Because Midwestern has "rolling applications" I think they put some people on the waitlist for interviews because their application was strong enough to warrant further evaluation, but they are still going through all of the other applications and doing interviews on the applications they view the "strongest" first. If those people (the strongest) are not admitted or chosen for admission, they re-evaluate the next batch along with the "waitlist for interview" applications and choose the next group for interviews and it just continues.

It is possible to be waitlisted AFTER the interview, but you don't "re-interview" if you are waitlisted after the initial interview. They just call the waitlisted people as other acceptance offers are declined. Does that make sense?
Thank you for clearing that up!

Reactions: 1 user
So I interviewed at LMU a couple days ago, and don't get me wrong; they where all lovely and the school was great. But personally, I felt like I would enjoy Arizona more. But I was waitlisted at Midwestern.. do you guys think I still have a chance of being pulled off the waitlist? Hopefully before he April deadline, otherwise I would have to put a deposit down at SGU ( where I was accepted) or LMU ( if I'm accepted). Advice?!?

So I interviewed at LMU a couple days ago, and don't get me wrong; they where all lovely and the school was great. But personally, I felt like I would enjoy Arizona more. But I was waitlisted at Midwestern.. do you guys think I still have a chance of being pulled off the waitlist? Hopefully before he April deadline, otherwise I would have to put a deposit down at SGU ( where I was accepted) or LMU ( if I'm accepted). Advice?!?
If you're on the post-interview waitlist, you still definitely have a good shot. Midwestern really burns through their waitlists. Whether or not it's likely to happen before April 15th depends on where on that waitlist you're at, I'd imagine. I do think a fair amount of people are accepted off of the waitlist prior to that date, though.

If worse comes to worst, you could always put a deposit down elsewhere and then if you get off the MWU waitlist later, you can still switch. It sucks to lose the money, but it's worth your happiness if you would really be happier here! We had a student that called off the waitlist 3 days before class started and she still decided to come here. I definitely think you have a decent chance of being pulled off the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
We had a student that called off the waitlist 3 days before class started and she still decided to come here. I definitely think you have a decent chance of being pulled off the waitlist!

I was a waitlist survivor myself. :) I didn't get the call until June 28th, and I know some people were still pulled off the list after me! The wait is killer -- I felt like I was in limbo from April 15th until then, but definitely don't lose hope just because you are waitlisted!

Reactions: 4 users

Check your student portal. I didn't get a direct call when I first got accepted (my interview was in September) - it was a few days later. Your portal will update to say "accepted applicant checklist"

Members don't see this ad :)

I asked about rank number for waitlisted people to be interview, but they said there is no ranking. They said that they go through again and reevaluate all of the applications again. Um I do not believe they actually go through all of the applications again.. That would take way too much time and I highly doubt they would spend the time doing that. I definitely believe all of the schools have rankings, but just don't tell us that :/

I also interviewed on the 12th!! I got a call the following Tuesday (18th) notifying me of my acceptance. I thought it was so strange how quick the turn around was especially since I felt iffy leaving the interview. If your portal isn't updated I'd give them a call since it seems that they already met.

Just received an email stating that my application is waitlisted for interview. On case it helps anyone, here's my numbers/dates:

Overall and Science GPA: 3.04/3.05
Last 60 GPA: 3.3/3.4
GRE first attempt (2015) Q/V/A: 156/157/4
GRE second attempt (2016) Q/V/A: 165/156/4
Hours: I don't even know, over 10,000 quality hours (vet or research)
Application submitted 9/15 but due to ETS outage/difficulties and their system also not allowing a space in my name, essentially my application wasn't complete until 10/28.

I hope this helps anyone else sitting on the edge of their seat :)!

Just received an email stating that my application is waitlisted for interview. On case it helps anyone, here's my numbers/dates:

Overall and Science GPA: 3.04/3.05
Last 60 GPA: 3.3/3.4
GRE first attempt (2015) Q/V/A: 156/157/4
GRE second attempt (2016) Q/V/A: 165/156/4
Hours: I don't even know, over 10,000 quality hours (vet or research)
Application submitted 9/15 but due to ETS outage/difficulties and their system also not allowing a space in my name, essentially my application wasn't complete until 10/28.

I hope this helps anyone else sitting on the edge of their seat :)!

Hi guys! Super new to all of this so I apologize if I'm asking questions that have already been answered in previous threads. Nonetheless, I'm very excited to finally chime in after months of lurking! :heckyeah: Any who, I was actually wondering if Midwestern U was a top choice school for any of you folks, since it isn't quite one of mine. I definitely appreciate the fact that they provide a vast amount of hands-on experience, but ideally, I'm looking for a school with a strong wildlife program above anything else (in terms of what the school can provide for me anyway). So, if Midwestern U is your top choice school or if you guys think Midwestern U is really great, I'd love to know why! Thank you! :happy:

Hi guys! Super new to all of this so I apologize if I'm asking questions that have already been answered in previous threads. Nonetheless, I'm very excited to finally chime in after months of lurking! :heckyeah: Any who, I was actually wondering if Midwestern U was a top choice school for any of you folks, since it isn't quite one of mine. I definitely appreciate the fact that they provide a vast amount of hands-on experience, but ideally, I'm looking for a school with a strong wildlife program above anything else (in terms of what the school can provide for me anyway). So, if Midwestern U is your top choice school or if you guys think Midwestern U is really great, I'd love to know why! Thank you! :happy:

I absolutely loved Midwestern when I visited. I was lucky to have been accepted too. They have simulation software and hardware that is out of this world. You are able to practice placing catheters, palpating cows, and interacting with patients all before you actually do them with animals. The early hands on stuff is really appealing to me too. For you they have a WEAZAM club that focuses on wildlife and aquatic medicine that do a lot of cool field trips and wet labs. They also essentially allow you to tailor your education with your rotations later on

Midwestern was low on my list until I interviewed, and then it was definitely at the top! Seriously. I know it's expensive, but after I got accepted to Midwestern I was actually scared I would get into my in state and have to make that decision... thankfully things worked out the way that they did! I LOVE it here. I'm not sure about specific schools that are strong in certain areas, but Midwestern provides education and experiences for every branch of vet med. School is really what you make of it, and you can do as much/little as you want, outside of the basic small/large animal stuff taught in the classroom. We do have mandatory exotics and wildlife classes (3rd year I think), but I don't know if I would call Midwestern a school with "a strong wildlife program". However, our WEZAAM club is awesome, and I've already gotten some very unique wildlife experiences from participating in that (we have the opportunity to help AZ game and fish with endangered black footed ferret conservation efforts multiple times a year - so cool). AZ is also home to some awesome wildlife, and you can volunteer/shadow at wildlife centers in the area. You can also pick wildlife rotations during 4th year. And there's a zoo here too :)

Like I said, school is what you make of it, and you can get as much experience as you want in whatever areas you want as long as you make the time! If you have any other questions about Midwestern, feel free to message me!

PS - I'm a wildlife nerd and exotics person, and MWU's campus has some awesome wildlife! I see hummingbirds, quail, roadrunners, rabbits, kangaroo rats, super cool birds and birds of prey on the daily... not that it's a huge deal or should factor much into your decision, but I love it! I've been working on deciphering bird species by their calls. It's a great place to do that :love: good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Agreeing with everything Hazelmoo said, especially with the urban wildlife on campus! I am a birder, so seeing so many birds around always brightens my day. :)

MWU wasn't my first choice, admittedly, but after I interviewed and saw how technologically advanced everything was, how caring faculty were, and how the college's aim is to make sure vet students are prepared for life after graduation, I began to feel like this is where I wanted and needed to be.

I am also a wildlife/exotics nerd, and though there may not be a wildlife specific focus I know there are many opportunities to available to me to me pursue that interest.

However, I know the wildlife/exotics fiend is extremely competitive, so I am trying to be open minded and vary my experience a lot. Ultimately, I know MWU will do an excellent job of preparing me for whatever it is I choose. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I absolutely loved Midwestern when I visited. I was lucky to have been accepted too. They have simulation software and hardware that is out of this world. You are able to practice placing catheters, palpating cows, and interacting with patients all before you actually do them with animals. The early hands on stuff is really appealing to me too. For you they have a WEAZAM club that focuses on wildlife and aquatic medicine that do a lot of cool field trips and wet labs. They also essentially allow you to tailor your education with your rotations later on
That's so great. I was actually a bit worried because their program is fairly new, but maybe being new has its perks! And I'll check out the WEAZAM club too. Thank you!

Midwestern was low on my list until I interviewed, and then it was definitely at the top! Seriously. I know it's expensive, but after I got accepted to Midwestern I was actually scared I would get into my in state and have to make that decision... thankfully things worked out the way that they did! I LOVE it here. I'm not sure about specific schools that are strong in certain areas, but Midwestern provides education and experiences for every branch of vet med. School is really what you make of it, and you can do as much/little as you want, outside of the basic small/large animal stuff taught in the classroom. We do have mandatory exotics and wildlife classes (3rd year I think), but I don't know if I would call Midwestern a school with "a strong wildlife program". However, our WEZAAM club is awesome, and I've already gotten some very unique wildlife experiences from participating in that (we have the opportunity to help AZ game and fish with endangered black footed ferret conservation efforts multiple times a year - so cool). AZ is also home to some awesome wildlife, and you can volunteer/shadow at wildlife centers in the area. You can also pick wildlife rotations during 4th year. And there's a zoo here too :)

Like I said, school is what you make of it, and you can get as much experience as you want in whatever areas you want as long as you make the time! If you have any other questions about Midwestern, feel free to message me!

PS - I'm a wildlife nerd and exotics person, and MWU's campus has some awesome wildlife! I see hummingbirds, quail, roadrunners, rabbits, kangaroo rats, super cool birds and birds of prey on the daily... not that it's a huge deal or should factor much into your decision, but I love it! I've been working on deciphering bird species by their calls. It's a great place to do that :love: good luck!
Thank you so much for your response! I guess by "strong wildlife program", I meant a school that would provide more opportunities for pre-DVM's to specialize, so for instance, one of my top choices is Tufts University because of their specialized programs. However, I totally agree with you when you say school is what you make of it! I am definitely much more excited about my interview in February now, and look forward to learning more about their program! :happy:

Agreeing with everything Hazelmoo said, especially with the urban wildlife on campus! I am a birder, so seeing so many birds around always brightens my day. :)

MWU wasn't my first choice, admittedly, but after I interviewed and saw how technologically advanced everything was, how caring faculty were, and how the college's aim is to make sure vet students are prepared for life after graduation, I began to feel like this is where I wanted and needed to be.

I am also a wildlife/exotics nerd, and though there may not be a wildlife specific focus I know there are many opportunities to available to me to me pursue that interest.

However, I know the wildlife/exotics fiend is extremely competitive, so I am trying to be open minded and vary my experience a lot. Ultimately, I know MWU will do an excellent job of preparing me for whatever it is I choose. :)

That's awesome! :D I think I will feel the same way once I get to know the school a bit better. If you don't mind, what sort of opportunities have you encountered that has allowed you to pursue your wildlife/exotics interest?

That's so great. I was actually a bit worried because their program is fairly new, but maybe being new has its perks! And I'll check out the WEAZAM club too. Thank you!

I think there's always going to be that concern at the back of our heads. But the program curriculum looks really strong. A lot of the faculty were professors at other vet schools and essentially helped to create this program with things that they liked and didn't like from those schools. I'm still waiting to hear from 12 schools because I applied to 15 overall, but after my interview Midwestern easily jumped to the top. I'm waiting to see really 2 other schools to see if those would be a good fit but otherwise Midwestern is my top choice. The cost is a bit of a concern too but I'm considering the air force public health officer option and planning on working for the government after school I would hopefully have the 10 year forgiveness option

I was worried about that too, but during the interview they really show you that it's nothing to worry about. They will be fully accredited soon and it seems like the professors really care about their students success! Plus they have a ton of things that let you learn before you go out and work with actual animals like someone else mentioned earlier.

I was looking at some other threads on here, and noticed that some schools require you to buy a specific laptop. Do any of you guys know if midwestern requires that?! They didn't mention anything like that at the interview, but I totally understand why the schools would want you to have a specific laptop with everything on it that you would need in terms of software and stuff!

I was looking at some other threads on here, and noticed that some schools require you to buy a specific laptop. Do any of you guys know if midwestern requires that?! They didn't mention anything like that at the interview, but I totally understand why the schools would want you to have a specific laptop with everything on it that you would need in terms of software and stuff!
Nope! You can use whatever you would like. I find that most of us have switched to using tablets. I purchased an older iPad before school and have been using the app Notabilty. Notability has completely changed my note taking and studying. It's amazing!

Reactions: 2 users
Notability is what I've used for my current classes the last 2 years and I would never go back to anything else! Talk about a life saver!

Last edited:
I have an upcoming interview for Midwestern but I'm thinking about cancelling because the school is just too expensive for me to realistically attend. I had an interview with St. George's already and I have an interview with Western and Iowa State soon and maybe more so this is getting to be quite expensive which is why I want to cancel Midwestern and use that money on another flight BUT I just can't bring myself to cancel. I'm so scared of giving up on an opportunity to be accepted....especially after I was just denied an interview with UC Davis. HELP. Anyone else with this dilemma?

I have an upcoming interview for Midwestern but I'm thinking about cancelling because the school is just too expensive for me to realistically attend. I had an interview with St. George's already and I have an interview with Western and Iowa State soon and maybe more so this is getting to be quite expensive which is why I want to cancel Midwestern and use that money on another flight BUT I just can't bring myself to cancel. I'm so scared of giving up on an opportunity to be accepted....especially after I was just denied an interview with UC Davis. HELP. Anyone else with this dilemma?

I totally get where you're coming from! I denied an interview at Western a few weeks ago, BUT I already had my Midwestern acceptance so I knew that regardless I was going somewhere next year.

I totally get where you're coming from! I denied an interview at Western a few weeks ago, BUT I already had my Midwestern acceptance so I knew that regardless I was going somewhere next year.

When I received my Western interview invite I turned it down as well, because I had already been accepted to St.Georges and I knew I would choose St.Georges over Western. I just didn't want to take time away from school, and spend even MORE money traveling across the country (I'm from Florida).

Hi everyone!
I have an upcoming interview this week and was wondering if anyone had any advice? (what kinds of questions do they ask (behavioral/general/etc?; how comfortable were you in the interview?

also, any suggestions about food in the area would be great!!

Hi everyone!
I have an upcoming interview this week and was wondering if anyone had any advice? (what kinds of questions do they ask (behavioral/general/etc?; how comfortable were you in the interview?

I am wondering about the questions and interview specifics as well?! I looked on the other page where interview q's are located but didn't see a specific place for Midwestern's interview? I will be interviewing next Monday (11/14) and live in Arizona. Will be staying with a friend that evening prior! Excited. Good luck to everyone :D

Hi everyone!

I posted a list of questions on 10/5

Hey guys! So I'm all settled in to Glendale (just grabbing a bite) and I'm going to check out campus after this so I know what to expect before the interview tomorrow. Anyone know about parking? Is it relatively easy/free? Thanks!

Hey guys! So I'm all settled in to Glendale (just grabbing a bite) and I'm going to check out campus after this so I know what to expect before the interview tomorrow. Anyone know about parking? Is it relatively easy/free? Thanks!
Hey there! Parking is free and the lot should be pretty empty in the morning. We have finals this week so the campus won't be too busy. Also if you have any parking questions the people at the entrance are helpful. Good luck tomorrow!

Hey there! Parking is free and the lot should be pretty empty in the morning. We have finals this week so the campus won't be too busy. Also if you have any parking questions the people at the entrance are helpful. Good luck tomorrow!

Awesome! Thank you! :)

Hey y'all, longtime lurker, but interviewed today and decided now was a good time to join. About how long after interviews have you all been finding out about admissions? I know it's usually about two weeks, but am curious if it has been shorter or longer.

Hey y'all, longtime lurker, but interviewed today and decided now was a good time to join. About how long after interviews have you all been finding out about admissions? I know it's usually about two weeks, but am curious if it has been shorter or longer.

It took me longer to find out (about a month I think) but I was also the in first group of interviews, so I think that's why!

I just interviewed today. While I haven't visited any other veterinary teaching hospitals, I must say that I found Midwestern's facilities to be quite impressive. Everybody was extremely friendly as well :)

I just interviewed today. While I haven't visited any other veterinary teaching hospitals, I must say that I found Midwestern's facilities to be quite impressive. Everybody was extremely friendly as well :)

Say, I interviewed today as well...after the interview, they are up at the top of my list. That tuition though...

I've visited a few veterinary teaching hospitals (5 off the top of my head) and found Midwestern's to be amazing. The only thing that people might find lacking is the fact that they don't have a sick large animal hospital on site. But they make up for it in ambulatory care.

Have people been finding out on Tuesdays like in past forums?

I found out on a Tuesday, I think they have their meetings on Mondays. But I'm not sure about other people this year!

The school tells you it's usually 2-3 days after the committee meets and they always meet on a Monday. That being said I did find out on the Tuesday after my interview.

Is anyone else interviewing tomorrow?? (11/14)! I just arrived in Arizona. Very nervous but excited based on all the great things you all have said!

I know I'm likely way too early since I just interviewed last week. But for those of you that had changes on your portal on Tuesdays, around what time of day did you notice that change? I'm just interested for the next few Tuesdays. Thanks!

I know I'm likely way too early since I just interviewed last week. But for those of you that had changes on your portal on Tuesdays, around what time of day did you notice that change? I'm just interested for the next few Tuesdays. Thanks!
I checked mine around 11:30, and it was updated, so I have no idea if it was up earlier than that!