Midwestern University (Glendale) vs University of Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmbound1518

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow pharm students!

I just got accepted to Midwestern but I haven't heard back from any of the other schools I applied to and the stress is getting overwhelming. I've made several pros and cons lists to help me try and choose between Midwestern and UofA (even though I might not have the choice to make) but I'm having a hard time. I love the idea of a 3 year program at Midwestern, but I'm nervous that the accelerated program might be too much for me. Anyone have any comments on that? I also am interested in learning more about pharmacy in a clinical setting as opposed to retail (since I work in retail now) and I'm nervous that Midwestern won't give me the same opportunity to explore that the way UofA would. I'm not a fan of Tucson so that's also a big factor.

Honestly any sort of insight I can get from either Midwestern or UofA students would be really appreciated. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to U of A and midwestern. I got into midwestern and am waiting to hear back on U of A and am struggling with the same thing. Theres so many pros and cons for each its almost impossible to decide. Did you get an interview at U of A?

I also applied to U of A and midwestern. I got into midwestern and am waiting to hear back on U of A and am struggling with the same thing. Theres so many pros and cons for each its almost impossible to decide. Did you get an interview at U of A?
Yes I did! I had my interview this past Friday. I figured that I would fall in love with the school when I got to hear about it during the orientation, but they didn't talk much about the school itself. They didn't even tell us how much tuition was. Or talk about the 4 year research project. I don't think my interviewer liked me very much anyway, so it may not even matter haha

Members don't see this ad :)
the accelerated program at MWU just means you take classes/have ippe rotations during the summer. the pace is no different during any of the quarters than if you were to attend MWU-Chicago (which is 4 years). if you fail a class though then you're set back a year. you don't have that option to retake anything since there's no opportunity with a year-round program.

for clinical/retail, eh i guess MWU has good connections in AZ so you can get good clinical experiences if you want during your rotations. MWU really sucks securing out of state clinical rotations though (unless in Chicago where the other campus is).

the accelerated program at MWU just means you take classes/have ippe rotations during the summer. the pace is no different during any of the quarters than if you were to attend MWU-Chicago (which is 4 years). if you fail a class though then you're set back a year. you don't have that option to retake anything since there's no opportunity with a year-round program.

for clinical/retail, eh i guess MWU has good connections in AZ so you can get good clinical experiences if you want during your rotations. MWU really sucks securing out of state clinical rotations though (unless in Chicago where the other campus is).

Hello, i am a recent accepted applicant to MWU - CPG. what do you mean MWU really sucks securing out of state clinical rotations? What are your overall thoughts about the university and how many people get held back each quarter?

I just got accepted to Midwestern but I haven't heard back from any of the other schools I applied to and the stress is getting overwhelming. I've made several pros and cons lists to help me try and choose between Midwestern and UofA (even though I might not have the choice to make) but I'm having a hard time. I love the idea of a 3 year program at Midwestern, but I'm nervous that the accelerated program might be too much for me. Anyone have any comments on that? I also am interested in learning more about pharmacy in a clinical setting as opposed to retail (since I work in retail now) and I'm nervous that Midwestern won't give me the same opportunity to explore that the way UofA would. I'm not a fan of Tucson so that's also a big factor.

Honestly any sort of insight I can get from either Midwestern or UofA students would be really appreciated. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hello, what school did you choose and what can you tell me about your experience with MWU - Glendale? i am trying to decide where to go for my PharmD. Thank you. Also how many people are held back each quarter?

Hello, i am a recent accepted applicant to MWU - CPG. what do you mean MWU really sucks securing out of state clinical rotations? What are your overall thoughts about the university and how many people get held back each quarter?
MWU is not contracted with many out-of-Arizona hospital locations so those hospitals often only take local students or students that have connections (e.g. students that worked for them previously as a technician before pharmacy school and/or students that personally know the pharmacist preceptor at that out-of-Arizona hospital location). Chances are that you will end up doing most of your rotations in Arizona.

Overall, eh the school is okay. There has been a lot of change in teaching faculty though recently so it's hard to say how it may be for you. From what I have heard from underclassmen, some classes taught by new faculty are really difficult and some new professors are really stubborn about spacing exam dates. I feel like maybe 10 people that were accepted my year have failed a course and are on extended track now where they have to take an extra 4th year to repeat the course and graduate.

Last edited:

Clinical pharmacy never really took off. Jobs are hard to come as pharmD's unable to secure a retail position funnel into PGY1 and PGY2s for safety. Have you considered getting a PhD or going for a PA degree? These two paths are in much higher demand and have a more engaging clinical aspect to them.