Midwestern University - Glendale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how did you guess ladies and guys dress? Should we wear glasses to look smarter? Women- heels or danskos or casual black shoes? Earrings? Hair up, curled, or ponytail? I'm pretty nervous on how to look in the interview.

I didn't wear my glasses but I wore a pant suit with my hair up in a bun and only my first hole for earrings and black about 2inch heels. There were girls in my group with their hair down and curled in a professional manner and there were two girls wearing flats and three wearing heels (we talked about shoes you will have to walk for about an hour if not more). Most everyone did skirt suits or pant suits. I went conservative to be safe and I got in but I'm pretty sure the other girls were still very professional. I did wear a very pale pink button up shirt under my jacket though.
:)

I graduated with a B.S. in natural science with a minor in psychology. GPA- 3.3 PCAT- 85 (93 chem, 92 bio, 85 math, bad on reading and grammar lol....., 4.0 on writing). I had a sibling who recently graduated from midwestern glendale pharmacy. Worked as inpatient pharm tech in IV compounding for 3 months, 2 years working with people with disabilities, one summer of paid undergrad inorganic research. How are my chances? Midwestern is my first choice.

How long did the GPA calculations take for everyone? Some people it seemed to only take 2-3 days yet I have not received a GPA calculation after a week of submitting and all my paperwork was all turned in August.

I think you have a very very good chance!! You're perfectly fine. And I would call about the GPA because mine took two days.

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as reading through I see that many of you got accepted
I have a gpa of 3.01 and PCAt of 56 ( 34 math, 92 bio, 85 chem, very loow on verbal and reading) and I have only 6 months pharmacy experience, Do I have a shot for an interview,
and would anyone suggest how to prepare for the interview and what kind of questions were asked, was it a group interview or one-on-one.

Thank you in advance :)

I was told by teacher there they will look at you if you have a comp of 50%+. They ask questions about what makes a good pharmacist and what makes you a good one and patient oriented questions. I would recommend retaking the pcat but you can definitely still try. It's you with two teachers and a third year student (for me it was) so three on one.

I didn't wear my glasses but I wore a pant suit with my hair up in a bun and only my first hole for earrings and black about 2inch heels. There were girls in my group with their hair down and curled in a professional manner and there were two girls wearing flats and three wearing heels (we talked about shoes you will have to walk for about an hour if not more). Most everyone did skirt suits or pant suits. I went conservative to be safe and I got in but I'm pretty sure the other girls were still very professional. I did wear a very pale pink button up shirt under my jacket though.
:)
Thank you so much!! Love the details, I feel a lot better now~!

I think you have a very very good chance!! You're perfectly fine. And I would call about the GPA because mine took two days.
Ok thanks, ya I'll give them a call tomorrow. I wasn't sure if it really did take 5 whole weeks for the GPA calculations or not, but it seems that everyone else got the GPA calculations in 2-3 days.

Ok thanks, ya I'll give them a call tomorrow. I wasn't sure if it really did take 5 whole weeks for the GPA calculations or not, but it seems that everyone else got the GPA calculations in 2-3 days.

It normally takes longer later in the application cycle when everyone else is submitting.

It normally takes longer later in the application cycle when everyone else is submitting.
Oh ok, maybe I'll wait one more week then. Haha I'm just really antsy to get this over with!!

How long did the GPA calculations take for everyone? Some people it seemed to only take 2-3 days yet I have not received a GPA calculation after a week of submitting and all my paperwork was all turned in August.

It took 5 days for mine, and I e-submitted little over 2 weeks ago. It shouldn't take you more than a week or two. You should call them if it's been longer than that.

I just got invited for an interview! I'll be there Nov 1.

Do you think driving there from LA (5 hour drive) is a good idea?

I would because the plane ticket is probably expensive now. Plus it took me 4 hours from the time I left my house, flew out of long beach, picked up my car and got to the hotel anyways.

I just got invited for an interview! I'll be there Nov 1.

Do you think driving there from LA (5 hour drive) is a good idea?

Yay!! I got an invite! :) I will be interviewing on Nov 1st as well. See you there if you're interviewing that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes interviewed on 10/18 got a call the fallowing monday and tuesday night. The response time was fast.

Thanks for the update and congrats! Does anyone know what happens to the rest of us who have not heard from them? Would we be placed on the waiting list or something?

Last edited:

I submitted mine in September and if you did before then, I would call (your last post said August right?). Midwestern had my full application including everything within two weeks of me submitting everything and I got my interview within two days of that.

I believe the (Assistant?) Dean said something about the Adcom reviewing all interviewees month-by-month when they met, to see who they would offer admission to for that time period. I believe those that were not accepted would be put back into the pile to be re-reviewed each month they met. Not sure how much of this is true...

I also remember him saying something like, if something in your admissions packet changed, let them know as it might help your case (such as PCAT going up or grades for the fall semester). And that, if you were not accepted, you can call and ask about your file and why you were not admitted.

Thanks for the info. I might as well just call them if I don't hear back from them another week from now.

Thanks for the info. I might as well just call them if I don't hear back from them another week from now.

I remember them saying that it can take up to 2-3 weeks to hear back from them on an acceptance or decline. Think positive ;)

For those that had an interview already, did you like the campus? How was the weather there? And how was your overall impression of the school?

Was wondering if I should fly out or decline the interview :(
Thanks for the answer y'all

Bad news for me. Just got a letter from them through snail mail saying that I have been placed in the alternate list. Is there anyone who's in the same boat as me. They said the alternative list is not ranked, does that mean it does not benefit me if I got on the list sooner than others? And how long is the waiting game? This is frustrating since it is my first choice...

Bad news for me. Just got a letter from them through snail mail saying that I have been placed in the alternate list. Is there anyone who's in the same boat as me. They said the alternative list is not ranked, does that mean it does not benefit me if I got on the list sooner than others? And how long is the waiting game? This is frustrating since it is my first choice...
I also got placed on the alternate list. From my understanding it doesn't benefit us that we interviewed early. In the spring after all the interviews, they will see how many people declined seats and then go back through the files and pull people from the alternate list. Good luck!

For those who got on the alternate list: hang in there you guys! I read from previous years that many people do get in from the alternate list. I wish you all the best!

On a different note:

Anyone going to the Open House tomorrow? More info can be found here>>CLICK<<. See you there if you're going! :)

For those that had an interview already, did you like the campus? How was the weather there? And how was your overall impression of the school?

Was wondering if I should fly out or decline the interview :(
Thanks for the answer y'all

The campus is beautiful and I have been to Creighton and the UofA one only, though. I have lived in Phx my whole life and love the weather, I never want to leave but that's me (I am biased haha). There isn't any humidity here but like three weeks out of the year in the hot summers and it's very dry (the summers get hot but are bearable because no humidity) and no snow. You are in shorts and t-shirts most of the year. The winters are very nice though, can get cold, but pleasant. Even though I live in Phx, Midwestern was the most professional and helpful (other than Creighton but it snows most of the time) and I applied to multiple schools.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the feedback guys! Decided to fly out for the interview :D. If anyone's interviewing on 11/18, hope to see you guys there! Goodluck for anyone else interviewing soon too!

I'm interviewing on the 4th. pretty nervous. I applied to my hometown school last year (was only school I tried though). have 3 interviews in Nov. starting in Glendale this year. I didn't get in last year obviously but at least got experience for an interview day. at my school they had a whole day of activities including interview, standardized test, tour, and meeting with current P3 or P4 students. Can anybody confirm if Midwest involves something like writing portion or standardized test? or is the only thing you do an interview and tour? Thanks! good luck all and hope to meet some people on the 4th

I'm interviewing on the 4th. pretty nervous. I applied to my hometown school last year (was only school I tried though). have 3 interviews in Nov. starting in Glendale this year. I didn't get in last year obviously but at least got experience for an interview day. at my school they had a whole day of activities including interview, standardized test, tour, and meeting with current P3 or P4 students. Can anybody confirm if Midwest involves something like writing portion or standardized test? or is the only thing you do an interview and tour? Thanks! good luck all and hope to meet some people on the 4th

You get there in the morning around 730, chit chat with others interviewing, including DOs and 2-3 pharm students at the school. At 8 you get divided up into 2 groups, both switching off interview and tour sessions. You'll be given an "essay" in the folder when you get there, nothing major, very simple and you have until like lunch time to complete it. Lunch around 1230 and then after lunch 2-3 students answer questions, and then the dean presents stuff. just relax, theres nothing to be nervous about, just review the interview section here on sdn and be confident. Good luck everyone!

Midwestern received my PCAT score on October 22nd and the Downers Grove campus e-mailed me today with an interview invitation. I chose November 6th because it was the earliest date available. The Glendale campus also e-mailed me today, but I was placed on a waitlist for interviews there. I'm a bit confused since I thought the Downers Grove campus was more competitive. They have a supplemental application while Glendale doesn't, and they're also ranked higher. I read somewhere that the Downers Grove interview uses a closed file process, so I'm worried I'll be rejected the second they see my GPA and PCAT score :(

MWU-Glendale has a smaller class size and therefore interviews less people than MWU-Chicago. I think that's why they're more selective.

The interviewers don't see your stats. The closed file process allows the interviewers to rate you without bias. You won't be rejected unless you did poorly on your interview. You will most likely be put on the alternate list if you did ok on your interview.

Has anyone requested a deposit deadline extension yet? Were they lenient about it?

Has anyone requested a deposit deadline extension yet? Were they lenient about it?
I called admissions and asked for an extension. They give you a two week extension at most unless you have the dean's approval.

Ques for PS1 students: Does Midwestern provide laptop to their Pharmacy program students?

Ques for PS1 students: Does Midwestern provide laptop to their Pharmacy program students?
No they do not and it is important to note that they have a paperless policy in place. Teachers will not provide any note packets it's all on Blackboard. Think about investing in a tablet or an efficient printer.

I got an interview invite this morning and just scheduled for next Monday (Nov 4). I read through this thread, and I just wanted to confirm a few things and more details about the essay/prompt. Were multiple essay prompts given and how much time was reserved for the essay? And because this is a closed file interview, I guess I should try to mention my 92 PCAT score? Thanks and good luck guys!

I got an interview invite this morning and just scheduled for next Monday (Nov 4). I read through this thread, and I just wanted to confirm a few things and more details about the essay/prompt. Were multiple essay prompts given and how much time was reserved for the essay? And because this is a closed file interview, I guess I should try to mention my 92 PCAT score? Thanks and good luck guys!

You had only one question to answer for the essay and it's only 100 words and you have 2 hours and another 1-2hrs is taken by a tour and interviewing.

Also, in the interview process, they really want to see your character and personality and score you off of that. It is not the admissions board scoring you on the interview but teachers and students about how well you explain your answers, experiences and character. The admissions board will then later compile your score from your PCAT, GPA along with your interview score and notes from the teachers and students and then decide (the people, again, in the interview don't care about your scores but you as a person). I have spoken to previous students who know the process and people will get rejected if they score very poorly on the interview process no matter how high their GPAs and PCAT scores are. If you got an interview your grades are good enough and I don't recommend mentioning it, but just talk about your experiences. I mentioned nothing about my grades and was accepted almost immediately. They want to know your qualities, why you should be a pharmacist and basically if you are good with people/patients and talking. It would be very difficult to throw in your PCAT score with the type of questions they ask you.
I hope that helps and good luck!!!

For those that got accepted already, how long does the school give you to put down your deposit?

I interviewed yesterday (11/4) and today my accepted checklist popped up, So I think that means that I got in!

I asked for an extension the day my deposit was due. They didn't ask any questions and just gave me the extension.

I interviewed yesterday (11/4) and today my accepted checklist popped up, So I think that means that I got in!

I interviewed on 11/1 (Friday) and mine just showed Accepted Student Checklist as well!!! I think that means we're IN!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!! :)

Check your portal if you interviewed on 11/1 or 11/4, guys! Also, it was very nice to have met some of you at the interview. Good luck to everyone else! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on 11/1 (Friday) and mine just showed Accepted Student Checklist as well!!! I think that means we're IN!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!! :)

Check your portal if you interviewed on 11/1 or 11/4, guys! Also, it was very nice to have met some of you at the interview. Good luck to everyone else! :)

Congrats you guys!! I interviewed yesterday and nothing changed on my portal, seriously beginning to freak out now =(

Congrats you guys!! I interviewed yesterday and nothing changed on my portal, seriously beginning to freak out now =(

It could be that they're still loading the info, because my Matriculation/Payment says it's still being processed. Good luck! :)

It could be that they're still loading the info, because my Matriculation/Payment says it's still being processed. Good luck! :)

Thanks :) Just wondering, what exactly changed on the portal? I know everyone can see the accepted list thing on the left? But is there some sort of message on the main page?

Yeah, same. I wonder if they're still in the middle of reviewing?

Thanks :) Just wondering, what exactly changed on the portal? I know everyone can see the accepted list thing on the left? But is there some sort of message on the main page?

When people say their "portal changed," I think they're referring to the Matriculation/Payment and Accepted Student Checklist links under the "Post-Accepted" category on the left column. You probably won't see the left column if you're logged in via a mobile device. What "changed" under the Accepted Student Checklist link is it shows a list entitled Required Documents, Required Transcripts, and Required Prerequisites with green check marks next to the ones you've completed. As for the Matriculation/Payment link, mine currently says, "Your information is currently being processed." Prior to these changes, these pages say something along the line of it being available to accepted students. I hope that helps! :)