Midwestern University IL Interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john135

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,

I have an interview coming up with MWU-IL.I have found some questions on the forums, but I would like to know if there are any others?

-I don't remember all of them but of course they asked what ot is to me, they gave me 2 scenarios and asked what I would do in those situations (they wanted to see how well I would work with others and my overall knowledge of the field), and
-they asked if I had any questions for them about the program or the school.

-Make sure to pay attention to what they tell you about themselves, since you will be talking to actual professors in the program and what they tell you about the program. Try to remember things they said about their own background as OTs and about the school and come up with questions that relate to what you have heard. It shows you were paying attention and are genuinely interested in what they have told you.
-If you can use examples of things you saw during your observation hours they seem to enjoy hearing those stories. Best of luck to you!!

-Why do you want to be an OT
2. Why our school
3. Are you resilient
4. What characteristics make up a professional
5. Name someone who is a positive influence in your life and why
6. What are your hobbies
7.How would you handle a work load

-During the interview they asked me about my healthcare experience and things pertaining to my personal statement.

-Why OT?

-Why Midwestern?

-How do you deal with stressful situations (they asked me both about handling a difficult work load in school and working with difficult clients)?

-They also asked me to share a positive story from my volunteer experiences that made me want to continue pursuing OT.

-don't say something generic like you enjoy helping people,
-how is it different than other health fields,
-why Midwestern,
-be able to explain your volunteer experiences into detail.
-Have questions prepared and don't be nervous.

Are these all of them? Do they ask anything else other than this? And ethical questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for posting this, John 135 - it's very helpful. Does anyone know if the Midwestern (IL) interviews are individual or group interviews? I had a group interview at Rush, and it felt very strange to me.

I had my interview. There will be a group of you showing up. 8 to be exact. There will be a quick meeting with th department head about the program. After that, she and a couple other professors will interview you.

It's not that bad. They ask you "why OT", "how do you deal with a stressful workload of MWU" and "Why Midwestern". You are interviewed 2 times by 2 different people. One of them is 15 min and the other is 30 min. Both asked the same questions. Sorta.

Keep in mind Midwestern is 60k a year. For three years. It's program is very excessive. It is 132 credit hours for the program and operates on a quarter system. It seems to be a money making machine rather than producing OTs.

Members don't see this ad :)
John, it's actually not excessive at all. The $60k figure includes all of your living expenses - the actual tuition is really comparable to most other private school programs. I was impressed with the program.

Does anyone know if Midwestern is still inviting people for interviews?

If you take the 11,000 allocated for rent or dorming (though its a bit cheaper but not by much), 2000 for transportation, your still at ~50,000 for a three year program. 150,000 is a lot compared to other programs that I've seen. This with undergrad will put average students well over 200,000 dollars. That's a bit less than what medical school costs.

OTDream, I think they're still doing interviews. Call them and ask. They're pretty nice about telling you info like that.

Just to follow up - Midwestern's is not a three-year program; the whole program is 27 months, which I believe is the same as Rush. I don't want anyone to be misled.

I had my interview. There will be a group of you showing up. 8 to be exact. There will be a quick meeting with th department head about the program. After that, she and a couple other professors will interview you.

It's not that bad. They ask you "why OT", "how do you deal with a stressful workload of MWU" and "Why Midwestern". You are interviewed 2 times by 2 different people. One of them is 15 min and the other is 30 min. Both asked the same questions. Sorta.

Keep in mind Midwestern is 60k a year. For three years. It's program is very excessive. It is 132 credit hours for the program and operates on a quarter system. It seems to be a money making machine rather than producing OTs.

Hi John,

I have an interview at MWU-IL next Monday. I was wondering if you could be more specific with what questions they asked?

Thank you!

Hi John,

I have an interview at MWU-IL next Monday. I was wondering if you could be more specific with what questions they asked?

Thank you!

"Why do you want to do OT"
"How would you deal with the stress/amount of work (I assumed in terms of the difficulty) of the program"
"Are you a leader"
"Why MW"

Do NOT talk about other programs. Do not compare because these people teach at other programs. Give them the crap they want to hear. I tried being honest about how I would deal with the stress of a program saying I lock down and study away the material, and she didn't really buy it. See my other post about this.

Those are the ones I remember. Good luck. Also, keep in mind the cost of the program...I thought it was 60k for the whole MOT. I was wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
"Why do you want to do OT"
"How would you deal with the stress/amount of work (I assumed in terms of the difficulty) of the program"
"Are you a leader"
"Why MW"

Do NOT talk about other programs. Do not compare because these people teach at other programs. Give them the crap they want to hear. I tried being honest about how I would deal with the stress of a program saying I lock down and study away the material, and she didn't really buy it. See my other post about this.

Those are the ones I remember. Good luck. Also, keep in mind the cost of the program...I thought it was 60k for the whole MOT. I was wrong.

Thank you for the heads up about not comparing to other programs. Did they tell you how many spots they had filled out of the 46 yet?