Midwestern university's (IL) M.A in Biomedical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior at my undergrad and will be graduating may 2012. I was interested in doing Midwestern's M.A. in biomedical science program then apply to CCOM. So I just wanted some insight about the biomedical program (M.A or M.S students) of your overall experience with it

Members don't see this ad.

does this program give conditional acceptance to CCOM following successful M.A. program completion...

If so, what is the GPA/MCAT required for matriculation at CCOM or do they grant everyone an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
you need a 3.0 in the program and a mcat w/in a standard deviation of the previous years class to get an interview (this past year the matriculating class had a mcat average of 28).

tehy will not consider your application until you have two quarters of coursework in for the one year program which puts you in mid to late feb for application cycle.

i do not know how the one year program will turn out because it is just our first year with it this year on the illinois campus. i know we have at least 3 people from the 1 year arizona program in my class. and there are 10 people in my class who were in the two year program with me. everyone who was in my class got where they wanted to go.

huh some.

I'm in the MA program. We started a few months ago. So far, the program has been really good. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We are the first MA class so don't really know how its going to pan out. like mommy2three said, we will be getting interviews after the grades are out at the end of the second quarter, granted that we keep a 3.0 and are within one standard deviation of last years MCAT.

I was just accepted to this program so I was wondering if you could tell me more about it (i.e. do they have direct matriculation into their med school and how well it is structured). Any info you have will be appreciated!

I talked to one of the admissions reps, and they said you needed a 3.0 after 2 quarters and the MCAT is 26 for automatic interview... but no gaurantees of acceptance

Does the program transfer all/some/none credit for the classes you take to the first year of the medical school if you get in? I'm fairly sure it doesn't replace the first year of the medical school program, but I wanted to double check if any of the classes transferred over, so it would be a lighter load the first year or something?? Thanks!

hey guys. I'm in the 2 year program and just wanted to give you my thoughts of the 1 year program since I have some friends in it. First, I think you should only consider this program if you are truly on the bubble and feel this would be the step to get you over the hump. It is a very demanding program. The winter quarter in this program is probably the closest thing to medical school (18 credits--all basic science). I would probably not do the program if you are looking for a gpa boost. As far as classes, as of now the only class that can get waived for medical school is pharmacology as long as you get a b+ or better. Other than that, the faculty is amazing, and the school is continuing to expand in a bad economy. One final comment is the cost, just realize that its 30k for the program and if perhaps you don't get in I'm still not aware with what you can do with that degree since they did not do a thesis or any big time lab research.

any questions let me know.

I got accepted to this program and my deposit is due april 25th. Their open house (or health field career day) is on 24th. I basically have one day after I visit the campus to decide. Anyone else thinking of going to this program next fall?

I'm in the MA program. We started a few months ago. So far, the program has been really good. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We are the first MA class so don't really know how its going to pan out. like mommy2three said, we will be getting interviews after the grades are out at the end of the second quarter, granted that we keep a 3.0 and are within one standard deviation of last years MCAT.
Hey Jaywalk,
Now that the year is coming to an end, I am curious to see how things are going for you...

My gf has applied to the MA program for '12-'13 and has not heard back yet, however did you find it to be a good thing to do? Did you get an interview/accepted?

and if you don't mind, what did your numbers look like in terms of MCAT and GPA?

Thank you!

Sent my application, letters, transcripts and scores submitted. Hopefully I will hear back from them. terpness66, how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
It took then less than a month to respond. I actually went to their open house and really liked the school and program. I will be attending next fall.

Hey Jaywalk,
Now that the year is coming to an end, I am curious to see how things are going for you...

My gf has applied to the MA program for '12-'13 and has not heard back yet, however did you find it to be a good thing to do? Did you get an interview/accepted?

and if you don't mind, what did your numbers look like in terms of MCAT and GPA?

Thank you!

I know I'm not Jaywalk, but I'm also currently a MA finishing up here. The program definitely has its positives and negatives. As a positive, I would say this definitely gets you ready for professional school. I feel like I'd definitely be ready for professional school if I get in. My recommendation is it depends on what your girlfriend wants to go into - dental, med, pa whatever. Basically everyone in our program that applied dental was accepted. So as long as you perform decent in the MA program, it's a good stepping stone for that. As far as for CCOM however, I think about 17 of us interviewed and everyone was waitlisted except for 1. It's extremely frustrating for people because so many of my fellow classmates deserve better than that and now everyone is just kind of waiting around. Also, our class size is 50 students and it's increasing to 70 next year - therefore you would potentially be competing with more people for the spots they don't seem to be giving. I'm not bashing the program because I honestly really love it here, but just a heads up that just because you come here and just because you interview doesn't guarantee you an acceptance. Just a masters degree. Good luck! :thumbup:

I am going to be attending MWU's Master's program (2 year) this upcoming year and was wondering if anyone knew if the statistics, as in the number of students who were put on the wait list compared to those that were accepted, are similar for the 2 year program applicants to CCOM?

I am going to be attending MWU's Master's program (2 year) this upcoming year and was wondering if anyone knew if the statistics, as in the number of students who were put on the wait list compared to those that were accepted, are similar for the 2 year program applicants to CCOM?

It's definitely different for the 2 year program. The main reason is that the articulation agreement (certain MCAT/GPA) applies after being a student for 2 quarters (end of february/beginning of march). As a 1 year student, it's a disadvantage because the class is pretty much full at that point if you're applying during the year you are in the program. Applying the next year as a 2 year student gives you the advantage of having that articulation agreement early in the cycle. I'm not sure about how every 2 year student's situation turned out, but I know of many that got accepted right off the bat. Hope that helps!

I am applying to the MBS 2yr program, Just got the last of the transcripts in the mail today. Anyone know how big the class size is? I've seen conflicting numbers online. I also was wondering if anyone know what the turn around after completing your application since I've seen some people say it was like within a week.

See you all this fall! We need a Facebook group or something...

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was recently accepted into MWU-IL's MA BMS program and I have a few questions.

Some background information before I launch into my questions: rejected from dental schools, with a 3.2 sgpa, and hoping to use this program as a stepping stone into dental school.

To my understanding, the MA program isn't a direct acceptance. Nevertheless will I be able to graduate from the MA program, and head directly to dental school (if I get accepted of course) or will there be a gap year to apply? If there isn't a gap year, when do I apply...?

Also, anyone have any tips to getting the most out of the program except study study study study... haha Thanks!

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was recently accepted into MWU-IL's MA BMS program and I have a few questions.

Some background information before I launch into my questions: rejected from dental schools, with a 3.2 sgpa, and hoping to use this program as a stepping stone into dental school.

To my understanding, the MA program isn't a direct acceptance. Nevertheless will I be able to graduate from the MA program, and head directly to dental school (if I get accepted of course) or will there be a gap year to apply? If there isn't a gap year, when do I apply...?

Also, anyone have any tips to getting the most out of the program except study study study study... haha Thanks!

In my experience, it is much more difficult for a direct acceptance into the medical school than the dental school. I was in the first MA program, and literally everybody got into the dental school that applied (there could have been an exception, but I'm not aware of it). If you don't want a gap year, just apply like you normally would. The articulation agreement (certain DAT and gpa for interview) applies to the year during the program, as well as the year after the program so you can do whichever, or both if you need to. The program gives you personal statement and resume reviews, along with mock interviews - but that isn't until the fall so if you're applying the same year only the mock interview is beneficial obviously.

Pretty much study your butt off (obviously). Get to know professors: you never know when you need a LOR, who will be interviewing you in the future, or who is actually on the review committee for your acceptance. You'll learn which classes are necessary and which are not - don't waste our time with professors that read straight off the slides. If you have specific questions you can always message me and I can go more in depth about specific courses, subjects, etc. Congrats on getting in! The program was hard, but extremely good at preparing you for professional school. :thumbup:

I got accepted into the MA program and it looks like I have 3 weeks to give them my decision. Any more feedback from anybody who is currently in or recently completed the program would be great! I am pre-dental btw.

I got accepted into the MA program and it looks like I have 3 weeks to give them my decision. Any more feedback from anybody who is currently in or recently completed the program would be great! I am pre-dental btw.

I got accepted into the program today but no where in the email did they give me a time frame to make my decision. Did they specifically state three weeks for you? I only got an email so maybe they might give me details in the mail?

I got my email today too, but I logged into the portal around noon and saw I was accepted there. On their portal, the accepted student check list says deposit due 2/25.

got my email today too, were you guys interviewed or anything?? and why's the deposit date so early...there's no way i can decide this in only three weeks, something seems weird!

Nope I wasn't interviewed. I agree that 3 weeks is a very short time to decide, but I didn't apply anywhere else and at this point I'll have to go with it. It seems like a good program so I feel pretty comfortable giving my deposit. Where else did you guys apply and what are your concerns with mwu's program?

I wasn't interviewed. I just applied to their dental program and was rejected, so they transferred my application over and I got an acceptance two weeks later. But I think the deposit date is early so they can have those spots open up in case we reject them and they can offer it to other students. Plus, they get to keep the $750 if we do reserve our spot, but decide to not go ahead with the program.

But i need more information about the program to decide! Like what will our gpa have to be in the masters program as a pre dent student for us to get an interview into the dental program at MWU? Also how good is the program compared to other master programs? This is the only masters program I applied to and i got accepted. At this point, I am wondering if it is even worth my time and money to apply to others?

I wasn't interviewed. I just applied to their dental program and was rejected, so they transferred my application over and I got an acceptance two weeks later. But I think the deposit date is early so they can have those spots open up in case we reject them and they can offer it to other students. Plus, they get to keep the $750 if we do reserve our spot, but decide to not go ahead with the program.

But i need more information about the program to decide! Like what will our gpa have to be in the masters program as a pre dent student for us to get an interview into the dental program at MWU? Also how good is the program compared to other master programs? This is the only masters program I applied to and i got accepted. At this point, I am wondering if it is even worth my time and money to apply to others?

in the exact same boat as you! i spoke to a friend at mwu dental last night who filled me in. Basically, you need a 3.0 and a DAT score that's one standard deviation away from their average to be guaranteed an interview at both campuses, and they give you this interview after the first quarter is over. it's supposed to be a tough program is what scares me...i wish i had more time to look into other grad programs, now i feel a little bit stuck. i actually live really close to midwestern so it'd be pretty nice to be able to go to d-school there.

i'm still waiting on 7 dental schools to answer me since i'm a late applicant but we'll see what happens. for now, i'm gonna wait as long as possible before giving the deposit money to see what comes my way. let me know what you guys decide to do!

I haven't applied to any other schools either and it takes multiple weeks alone for schools to receive DAT scores so I don't think it's possible to apply to any other schools at this point unless you plan to turn down MWU. From this thread and other threads it seems like if you are successful in the program your chances getting into their dental school are very good. With that I am planning to enroll in the Fall and apply in the summer and hopefully get a shot at an acceptance from their ds. I'm still waiting on dental schools as well, but I haven't heard anything in months so I won't be too hesitant paying the deposit at MWU.

What kind of GPA and DAT scores do you need to have a shot at this program? Or what did you guys have that got accepted? One more question when did you guys apply? I am wondering if it is to late to apply.

i just recently got accepted into the program after having my app transferred when i was rejected from their dental school. i called and talked to someone on friday and they said they still have alot of spots open since my friend wanted to apply too. my gpa was 3.28 adn sci is like 3.19. dat pat was 18 and aa was 20.

2 weeks left to decide whether or not to go...

Hey All--

I was rejected from MWU-IL's DO program. They put my application for this Master's program after that. Can any current students who want to go to medical school (or dental, but I want to go the medical route) offer any insight into this program and pros and cons of it?

I graduated May 2012 with my bachelor's degree. Currently working in a hospital doing research and patient contact and shadowing. I have this job as long as I want and am trying to decide to stay and work for another year while applying early to the upcoming June 2013 Med School Cycle. Or to apply in June 2013 and do this program. I am not sure how much weight an Adcom would put on this program since I will just barely have started it when they look over my app. I know they value experience and hospital exposure, so I am debating the trade off.

I would like to boost my GPA also, but this would be a graduate GPA, not undergrad.

Any input from current students would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I called them and asked them how it would help my application cuz yea it seems like it would only help if you apply the cycle after finishing the 1 year program. From what I gathered from what they said, simply being in the program looks "good" on your app and it seems like it would help most only for their program. They have the thing where after 2 quarters you get a guaranteed interview if you maintain a 3.0 and within liek 1 or 2 STD of their last class's MCAT score I don't really remember which one.So in terms of applying for MWU's DO program, doing the MA seems like it would help since you'll get an interview and they'll see your new (hopefully good) GPA. For other DO programs, seems like it would only "look good" that you're doing a post bac program, unless you plan on applying in the cycle following receiving your masters cuz then you'll have your post bac GPA done so that'll definitely help.
I'm in the same position but with dental school and I want to reapply this upcoming cycle so I don't have to wait a year after the MA program.
Out of curiosity, how'd you get your hospital job? Don't you need some clinical research certificate to do research in a hospital?

Out of curiosity, how'd you get your hospital job? Don't you need some clinical research certificate to do research in a hospital?

I took two independent study courses with my research PI (an anesthesiologist) during undergrad dealing with airway physiology and research. She knew I wanted to get into medical school. I asked if I could continue research during a gap year. She was thrilled I wanted to stay. So it was very easy for me. I have had previous research experience in undergrad in two other labs and TA'd for Organic Chem. So I had a lot of research experience. You do not need any special certificate to do research. I suggest reaching out to lab directors that have projects that interest you. BE KNOWLEDGEABLE about their research before you go in for an interview.

I didn't really have an interview. She had me come over to the hospital and started right in orienting me towards the research. She is also the residency program director at the affiliated medical school/hospital. So I have an amazing network connection with her and the department (in the specialty I want to pursue, no less). I just need to get into medical school, perform well in it, and I will hopefully be set on my residency training.

Best advice--reach out to the people (researchers and/or doctors) that interest you. No opportunity exists if you don't put yourself out there and ask if they need any help in the labs, etc.

Good Luck!

Hey All--

I was rejected from MWU-IL's DO program. They put my application for this Master's program after that. Can any current students who want to go to medical school (or dental, but I want to go the medical route) offer any insight into this program and pros and cons of it?

I graduated May 2012 with my bachelor's degree. Currently working in a hospital doing research and patient contact and shadowing. I have this job as long as I want and am trying to decide to stay and work for another year while applying early to the upcoming June 2013 Med School Cycle. Or to apply in June 2013 and do this program. I am not sure how much weight an Adcom would put on this program since I will just barely have started it when they look over my app. I know they value experience and hospital exposure, so I am debating the trade off.

I would like to boost my GPA also, but this would be a graduate GPA, not undergrad.

Any input from current students would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

First of all, which masters program are u talking about? If it's the 1 year program keep reading lol.

PROS:

1. Great preparation for med school. A few of the classes are actually with med students. If you want to go to CCOM, u learn the testing style and about a lot of professors so it'd be beneficial that way down the road. These classes are classes you're taking anywhere so it's looked highly upon.

2. Good for your applications. Especially good for CCOM (if u do well in the program), and even though theres no official agreement I'm aware of, AZCOM grants you an interview too. It helps with other DO schools too though, not just Midwestern. Out of the 9 DO schools i applied to after completing the program, I got 6 interviews. Everywhere I went they seemed to be impressed with the degree and the fact I got it from a DO school. It shows you're a prepared student that isn't applying to them as a backup. This is coming from someone with ZERO interviews before doing the program.

CONS:

1. Money. You have to decide whether its worth the extra 50 grand. To me, it was. But to many others it isn't. Midwestern is expensive as is Downers Grove. But IMO, you are going to be in debt anyways. This shouldn't be the deciding factor.

2. You have to do well, within reason anyways. You don't have to get a 4.0 to get an acceptance, but try to stick to As and Bs. After speaking to a person on a DO schools admissions board I was told "Getting Cs in graduate school is like failing." They take Cs in grad school more seriously than undergrad - especially since these masters classes are the ones you'd be taking as a medical student.

----

In general, once I got acclimated to the program it wasn't too difficult - definitely doable. You form great relationships with professors, and now having completed the program I didn't realize how NOT ready I was for med school beforehand. Let me know if u have any other questions!

Dr Meow! did you apply to DO schools again the cycle after receiving your MA or the one right before starting the program?

Dr Meow! did you apply to DO schools again the cycle after receiving your MA or the one right before starting the program?

I am applying right now which is the cycle after I completed the program. Most schools prefer it that way just to see how you did throughout the whole program. It's probably the most beneficial year in terms of applications, IMHO.

I am applying right now which is the cycle after I completed the program. Most schools prefer it that way just to see how you did throughout the whole program. It's probably the most beneficial year in terms of applications, IMHO.

So what did you do with the time after you completed the program? Also can you think of any more pro's/con's about the program or describe your experience in it? Level of difficulty (how much you had to study vs. your grades), professors, advisors? Do most people live near the university or commute? Are there student organizations or school events to get a break?

I'll be accepting my offer for MA today/tomorrow. Anyone else planning to accept their offer?

So what did you do with the time after you completed the program? Also can you think of any more pro's/con's about the program or describe your experience in it? Level of difficulty (how much you had to study vs. your grades), professors, advisors? Do most people live near the university or commute? Are there student organizations or school events to get a break?

I'll be accepting my offer for MA today/tomorrow. Anyone else planning to accept their offer?

I answered the question about me in a PM to you but I can answer the rest on here :)

As far as the level of difficulty, this definitely is harder than undergrad (and my undergrad was pretty tough) but it's doable if you time manage. It depends on the quarter but you can have anywhere from 1 test a week to 6 tests in 1 week. All are multiple choice (aside from anatomy and neuro practicals), but the kicker is there's not a TON of questions. For example, physio tests have only 35 questions on them so if you get more than 3 questions wrong you don't have an A anymore. That was probably the biggest thing for me to get used to and it was slightly annoying, but you get used to it.

Majority of professors are great. All are welcoming as far as asking questions, emailing, office hours, etc. And question challenges are welcomed. Most if not all do their own research so you have an opportunity to get involved in that if you so choose. Most classes are not mandatory too so you quickly figure out which professors you should go to their lectures and which are a waste of time/read off the slides. The program advisors (there's 2 of them) are both very helpful and knowledgable and are interested in helping you succeed in whichever program you want to go into. These 2 alone can get you a good LOR for schools.

As far as living, many people lived on campus and many didn't. I lived on campus and while it was annoying at times it was SO convenient. There was a lecture hall in my dorm so I literally walked down a few flights of stairs and I was in class :) some people lived in apartments like 5 minutes away and then some commuted from Chicago or from other suburbs 30 mins away. It would probably be easier to live close though because sometimes exams are as early as 7am.

There are lots of student organizations and tons of events going on from the different programs, so if you want to get involved in something it's totally doable. Winter quarter is kind of 3 months without a social life but fall and spring u have more of an opportunity to do things.

Hope that helps a little more!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you DrMeows, that definitely helped.

Just accepted my offer!

I just accepted my offer. I was wondering when classes start? Also, I know that you need a 3.0 and a DAT score that's one standard deviation away from their average to be guaranteed an interview. Does anyone know what the average DAT score of accepted dental school applicants is? I am considering retaking the DAT before school starts, and want to reapply to dental schools this summer.

Does somebody want to make a Facebook group for the 1-year Downer's Grove 2013-2014 class? I also paid my deposit yesterday, but still not sure if I will attend this fall or not. Still hoping for a miracle this cycle. I would love to join the group though and meet some people. Somebody make a group and post the link here. (I don't want to make the group for privacy reasons).

Good Luck!

Can anyone in the program give some insight into what the schedule is like? Is it 3 days / week heavy or 5 days / week light etc? If I get in I might be driving from home which is over an hour so I want to get an idea if it will be possible to make as few trips as possible.

Can anyone in the program give some insight into what the schedule is like? Is it 3 days / week heavy or 5 days / week light etc? If I get in I might be driving from home which is over an hour so I want to get an idea if it will be possible to make as few trips as possible.

Depends on the quarter. From what I remember, fall was the lightest amount but it was 5 days a week, spring was the next lightest and we had fridays off, and winter was hell with no days off lol. What i mean by "light" is how busy the day was: some days in the winter went from 8-5 whereas some fall days were only 2 hours long. If you're thinking you're only driving in a couple days a week, that's most likely not the case.

Was just accepted today! It sounds like a great program, and I would prefer to be in the Chicago area. However, it seems like students only benefit from the program when applying to D.O. schools and not M.D. schools. Can anybody comment on this?

Was just accepted today! It sounds like a great program, and I would prefer to be in the Chicago area. However, it seems like students only benefit from the program when applying to D.O. schools and not M.D. schools. Can anybody comment on this?

It helps with DO schools obviously because it shows you went to a school with a DO program. But in my opinion it doesn't HURT for MD programs (there are people in my class that got interviews to MD schools and were accepted to them). A lot of people do the program to be more competitive for med school in the first place (most likely because they were rejected from CCOM), so you have to think about the type of MCAT scores people may have. It's not that it hurts for MD schools, but the people in the program may not have the stats for them (my own speculation).

I'm in the middle of applying to the program and I'm glad to hear so many got accepted! Congrats!
Does anyone know what their preference is for GRE scores in addition to the minimum GPA of 3.0 and letter of recs?
I called to inquire but I didn't get a definite answer and I was curious if anyone else had an idea. Thank you!

I'm in the middle of applying to the program and I'm glad to hear so many got accepted! Congrats!
Does anyone know what their preference is for GRE scores in addition to the minimum GPA of 3.0 and letter of recs?
I called to inquire but I didn't get a definite answer and I was curious if anyone else had an idea. Thank you!

I think the min gpa is 2.7, not 3.0.