Mild Freak Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bangs McCoy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the interest of my studies at my post-bacc, the MCAT, volunteering, research, etc...I've decided to quit my full-time project coordinator role at a major hospital and work in a restaurant. I realized that, if I'm really serious about this, I need to focus and pursue work that I can leave at work. The 40 hour week led to burn out on a now irrelevant career and lower grades than I know I'm capable of. The good news is that the restaurant work will be a somewhat comparable salary but goodbye beautiful insurance and slightly attractive tuition reimbursement.

Thing is...I'm kind of freaking out. Has anyone else been a working professional and left their position for pursuing this full-time? What did you do? How did it go?

Happy Friday y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Bangs McCoy, I did something similar about a year ago. I left a VERY comfortable full time position and even relocated to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. This is something that my wife and I decided was "worth it". We are making a HUGE sacrifice now so that I will be able to attain my dream.

Has anyone else been a working professional and left there position for pursuing this full-time? Yes, me!

What did you do? After months of discussion with my wife, we decided to go for it. We decided that it was more important
for me to pursue something I love rather than work at a job that I didn't enjoy. More so, it is important for us as parents to show our children that sacrifice can lead to great things.

How did it go? It's going well! We relocated our family 100 miles east of where we used to live. I'm in my 2nd of 4 years. It is extremely difficult, but I feel that I have an advantage over most of my peers in school - I actually care about what I"m learning.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!
Best of luck in your endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you can benefit from working at the restaurant then it is a good idea I too left a job several years ago to focus on my classes and never looked back I wish you the best

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I left my former career as an environmental finance broker to pursue the dream, and since, have worked as a wildland firefighter on a hotshot crew, started an environmental consulting company, which is pretty much in idle, and at the moment the only work I'm doing is part time at a coffee-shop... It's the only work flexible enough that I'm able to call off when test loads get heavy. It's an odd feeling going from a lucrative career back to square one, but as you said, the pressure of a full time professional job and school at the same time, doesn't mix well. Compromises will be made somewhere and you really can't afford to make them in your schooling.

Hello...thought I'd offer my .02

Left my 140K/year job in the crude oil business to pursue this dream. I'm single, no kids. Sold my house and my car is paid off. Huge leap of faith for me as well.
I now live in Arizona and attend a major research school full time completing my pre-reqs and degree in preparation for med school. I dealt with it by asking advice and getting perspectives here in this forum.

BUT---- once I pulled the trigger...I knew the bullet wasn't going to return to the barrel! I was headed down range fast, no turning back. SOOOO...now I'm laser focused on hitting my target with deadly accuracy! When I question my decision I pull out a piece of scrap paper and marker then write out my (future) name:

Dr. Robert Pena III, MD
Physician

Every time I look at it spelled out, it gives me goose bumps. Keeps me going. I study even harder. I've never wanted anything more than this...ever.
That's how I deal with it. I tell myself over and over " You WILL succeed at this" Given enough time you will start to think it's true! Give it a try! The power of positive thinking can work wonders.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 users
If working 40 hr weeks and taking a class or two a semester led to burnout...

Glad to see this thread got a bump! Needed some encouragement today.

It isn't just 40 hour workweek and "a class or two". It was 40+ hour workweek, volunteering, a leadership position, research, 2 classes, labs, etc. Working at a bar may be harder and more demanding, but at least there isn't an expectation that it's my life and my career. They know I'm there to make money to support what I really want to be doing.

be quiet and get out of here. i dont care how docile you intended your comment to be, you have no idea what a day in the life of a person entails. the op explicitly stated they no longer wanted to take their work home with them, signifying that a typical work week exceeds that of a 9 to 5. if you have nothing constructive to say then gtfo. i really hope none of us will ever relegated to having you as a classmate

be quiet and get out of here. i dont care how docile you intended your comment to be, you have no idea what a day in the life of a person entails. the op explicitly stated they no longer wanted to take their work home with them, signifying that a typical work week exceeds that of a 9 to 5. if you have nothing constructive to say then gtfo. i really hope none of us will ever relegated to having you as a classmate

Lol, calm down. Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

The person answered in full above. Medicine isn't really a profession where you can just leave your work at work either. Way too many people have nary an inkling as to what the hell residents, fellows, and attendings go through on a daily basis. I saw a red flag. I commented on it. OP elaborated and life went on.

You pretty much did exactly what you told me not to. So hello pot, meet kettle.

Glad to see this thread got a bump! Needed some encouragement today.

It isn't just 40 hour workweek and "a class or two". It was 40+ hour workweek, volunteering, a leadership position, research, 2 classes, labs, etc. Working at a bar may be harder and more demanding, but at least there isn't an expectation that it's my life and my career. They know I'm there to make money to support what I really want to be doing.

Not sure how much you used to make or will make, but if you're in Mass see if you qualify for state sponsored insurance as it has a lot of them that are subsidized if you meet certain qualifications. Might be helpful.

And yeah, that sounds like a bunch of stuff. Good luck in future semesters!

its truly remarkable to see how your latter post differs so starkly from that of your initial assessment. my stern comment served its purpose

its truly remarkable to see how your latter post differs so starkly from that of your initial assessment. my stern comment served its purpose

Yeah that was totally all you. HIGH FIVE!

Hello...thought I'd offer my .02

Left my 140K/year job in the crude oil business to pursue this dream. I'm single, no kids. Sold my house and my car is paid off. Huge leap of faith for me as well.
I now live in Arizona and attend a major research school full time completing my pre-reqs and degree in preparation for med school. I dealt with it by asking advice and getting perspectives here in this forum.

BUT---- once I pulled the trigger...I knew the bullet wasn't going to return to the barrel! I was headed down range fast, no turning back. SOOOO...now I'm laser focused on hitting my target with deadly accuracy! When I question my decision I pull out a piece of scrap paper and marker then write out my (future) name:

Dr. Robert Pena III, MD
Physician

Every time I look at it spelled out, it gives me goose bumps. Keeps me going. I study even harder. I've never wanted anything more than this...ever.
That's how I deal with it. I tell myself over and over " You WILL succeed at this" Given enough time you will start to think it's true! Give it a try! The power of positive thinking can work wonders.

Hope this helps.

Can I ask what you do to support yourself financially? How do you pay for day-to-day expenses if you are at school full time?

Can I ask what you do to support yourself financially? How do you pay for day-to-day expenses if you are at school full time?

Though you directed this question towards Rocketdog, I did want to offer resources that made working and studies easier. I've been trying to frugally life hack and save for associated costs (MCAT, interviews, secondary fees, etc.) for over a year on a limited hospital salary. Instead of making money, I really switched my understand to making both my past and recently salary work, paying down debt, and saving. I have a very low financial output which has allowed me to pay down my previous student debt (of only about $10K) and save for the future.

On my current anticipated income, I can pay my bills and still save almost half my wages. I do this in the following ways:
  1. I cook all my own meals. On Sundays, I shop and make about 7-15 individual lunches and dinners and supplement with day of sandwiches and snacks. Also, I shop using the shopper ad and buy the things that are either on sale or marked down due to expiration dates.
  2. I buy 1 meal a week at a dinner night with friends. Even then, I spend less than $40.
  3. When going out, I bring a flask or pre-game at my home. Also, I rarely "go out" in the typical sense because I work and study, but also because it costs too much and I don't get a lot out of it (besides a hangover).
  4. When spending time with friends, I offer to take walks or go to each other's homes. I do not like to meet out for dinners, drinks, coffee, etc. Cooking someone a meal is always a great option and, as a Southerner, the best way to endear yourself to someone.
  5. I use Mint.com to budget all necessary expenses and set financial goals.
  6. I have not bought new clothes, accessories, gadgets in over 6 months. Even then, I shop at Goodwill.
  7. I have a flip phone and the plan is under $40/month.
  8. I invested in the local library for resources and printing needs. Library card = key to the city.
  9. I ride my bike to work and to school. I also live in a city with affordable public transportation. Mostly I walk and ride when I can and refuse to own a car. So much $$ saved.
  10. I pay off my credit card every month and gain airline points. Basically play the system. I should have enough points in the future to travel to interviews for free.
I didn't learn all this in a day - it took some stupid mistakes and advice from people who know better than me. I read Mr. Money Mustache, Dave Ramsey (if you can be ok with his closing call to god, he's got some great advice), and The Minimalists. Some more everyday advice can be found at the Budgetnista.

It's not easy but I'm sitting on some savings that will help me defer debt in medical school. Also, learning to live like this now will save you in school. It makes the lifestyle transition to super poor medical student much smoother. My next experiment is Soylent - I want to see how I can even lower my food costs and cut out eating time. It generally costs under $4/day for a 2000 calorie drink. That's ridiculous and convenient!

Hope that helped in some way! Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

My next experiment is Soylent - I want to see how I can even lower my food costs and cut out eating time. It generally costs under $4/day for a 2000 calorie drink. That's ridiculous and convenient!

Sorry, this just made me lol... are you getting the green version? :idea: :laugh:

sticker,375x360.png

Sorry, this just made me lol... are you getting the green version? :idea: :laugh:

sticker,375x360.png
If it saves me money, yes! It's peeeeeeople. But seriously, think of the possibilities. I've done a lot of research and think it's a smart move. You can also bypass ordering a pre-made product and crowdsource your own on the DIY site. Just imagine: cheap, fast, portable, nutritious, and vitamin-rich sustenance for a student with little time. I read a great blog post on Raptitude - it seems mental clarity and energy go up due to the high nutrient content.

If it saves me money, yes! It's peeeeeeople. But seriously, think of the possibilities. I've done a lot of research and think it's a smart move. You can also bypass ordering a pre-made product and crowdsource your own on the DIY site. Just imagine: cheap, fast, portable, nutritious, and vitamin-rich sustenance for a student with little time. I read a great blog post on Raptitude - it seems mental clarity and energy go up due to the high nutrient content.
:lol:
If you can get it in chocolate flavor, then I'm sold :D

Though you directed this question towards Rocketdog, I did want to offer resources that made working and studies easier. I've been trying to frugally life hack and save for associated costs (MCAT, interviews, secondary fees, etc.) for over a year on a limited hospital salary. Instead of making money, I really switched my understand to making both my past and recently salary work, paying down debt, and saving. I have a very low financial output which has allowed me to pay down my previous student debt (of only about $10K) and save for the future.

On my current anticipated income, I can pay my bills and still save almost half my wages. I do this in the following ways:
  1. I cook all my own meals. On Sundays, I shop and make about 7-15 individual lunches and dinners and supplement with day of sandwiches and snacks. Also, I shop using the shopper ad and buy the things that are either on sale or marked down due to expiration dates.
  2. I buy 1 meal a week at a dinner night with friends. Even then, I spend less than $40.
  3. When going out, I bring a flask or pre-game at my home. Also, I rarely "go out" in the typical sense because I work and study, but also because it costs too much and I don't get a lot out of it (besides a hangover).
  4. When spending time with friends, I offer to take walks or go to each other's homes. I do not like to meet out for dinners, drinks, coffee, etc. Cooking someone a meal is always a great option and, as a Southerner, the best way to endear yourself to someone.
  5. I use Mint.com to budget all necessary expenses and set financial goals.
  6. I have not bought new clothes, accessories, gadgets in over 6 months. Even then, I shop at Goodwill.
  7. I have a flip phone and the plan is under $40/month.
  8. I invested in the local library for resources and printing needs. Library card = key to the city.
  9. I ride my bike to work and to school. I also live in a city with affordable public transportation. Mostly I walk and ride when I can and refuse to own a car. So much $$ saved.
  10. I pay off my credit card every month and gain airline points. Basically play the system. I should have enough points in the future to travel to interviews for free.
I didn't learn all this in a day - it took some stupid mistakes and advice from people who know better than me. I read Mr. Money Mustache, Dave Ramsey (if you can be ok with his closing call to god, he's got some great advice), and The Minimalists. Some more everyday advice can be found at the Budgetnista.

It's not easy but I'm sitting on some savings that will help me defer debt in medical school. Also, learning to live like this now will save you in school. It makes the lifestyle transition to super poor medical student much smoother. My next experiment is Soylent - I want to see how I can even lower my food costs and cut out eating time. It generally costs under $4/day for a 2000 calorie drink. That's ridiculous and convenient!

Hope that helped in some way! Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Kudos! I'm going to try some of your ideas this semester. Also, I just got my Barclay's card, so I'm going to start racking up miles/travel points for my interview process down the road.

Sorry about the delay ECON2MED......as you know class work comes 1st. I was able to invest well while I was working the oil field, hence I have an extreme luxury of not working while pursuing my pre-medical studies. I live with my parents and help take care of my Mother so my rent is low.

I'm single, no children, one spoiled little dog. I realize my situation is unique, not everyone can "drop" everything and do something like this. I worked myself to the bone for 3.5 years in the oil field to have the "luxury" of wracking my brain daily.....and I love it.