Military and Volunteer Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaBoom'd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically in regard to volunteer hours/experiences, I feel like the fact that I received a paycheck, that was very competitive versus the average in their late 20's, puts a glaring asterisk next to the volunteer part of being in the military. I know my mil service will be a big plus and I have some good experiences to explain/elaborate on, but I'm trying to determine how much time to set aside for volunteering versus working and eventually MCAT prep.

Since I've just signed out (like today), I'm now gainfully unemployed and applying next summer, I'm trying to gameplan the next 12 months, aside from classes and MCAT. Other than accruing ~100 hours of shadowing over the next 6 months, should I be focusing on clinical volunteering? I'm also beginning a "short" national guard contract this summer for some benefits, summer job connections, and a monthly dose of perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the military and applied this past cycle with zero recent volunteer experience (I included some from college >5 years ago). I got accepted. I'm sure it hurt my application at some places but hey you only need one acceptance. I just tried to relate my time in the military to why I'm altruisitic and want to serve others.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been asking questions about this topic (volunteer hours) and reading some other threads. I seem to come across the idea a lot that, although you need clinical experience, other types of volunteer work matters as well. If you are going to get that much shadowing in - seems like that would be a lot of clinical time if you wanted to add some other type of volunteering too. Just a thought - I am definitely no expert here! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the military and applied this past cycle with zero recent volunteer experience (I included some from college >5 years ago). I got accepted. I'm sure it hurt my application at some places but hey you only need one acceptance. I just tried to relate my time in the military to why I'm altruisitic and want to serve others.

Great, good to know. I want to focus most of my free time this last year on clinical exposure through shadowing and volunteering. Congrats on your acceptance

Vet here also. I did 2-3 other volunteer experiences (coaching, teaching etc) that were fun and not strenuous. In my interviews, it felt like it gave a more complete package to my application. I would recommend it, but man ADCOMs looove military.

Reactions: 1 user
Former military here too. My game plan is to volunteer/shadow in order to explain that I understand what a career in medicine is like. You may be in a better place in that regard if you had medical experience in the military, I was intel so I do not.

Former mil here as well. This thread is giving me a good warm/fuzzy about vets vs. the rest of the applicant pool.

I had volunteer hours as well as military when I applied, and the military definitely helped me get my acceptance (one of my interviewers was retired air force cardiologist and the other was the spouse of a sailor). I do recommend volunteering somewhere, since you have the time, but spread it out so it shows commitment - an hour or so every week until application day for example. Then follow through so if/when you get asked about it during interviews you have recent volunteer experiences to talk about.

I had exactly zero volunteering hours, but four years military this past cycle and I was accepted. It's dependent on the school and who looks at your application really. Even though I was paid, I put my military service in as employment as well as volunteer service. As I've said before, I was paid but I would have done it for free as long as they fed me and kept me stocked with ammo, water, comms. You'll be told otherwise, but most ADCOMS will look at it as truly altruistic. Because it is.

That said, if you can squeeze in volunteering hours, do so. It will only help.