Military Battlefield Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usffw2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am a junior in undergrad pursuing a degree in pre-med. I am debating whether or not to apply for the HPSP scholarship during medical school. I would like to be a surgeon in the military but have read some information that makes me slightly concerned about this. For a few years I have been working in an Emergency Room at a Level II trauma hospital and absolutely love everything about it; I love how fast paced it is and treating trauma patients, etc. The one thing I hate is when I pick up hours in the ER at the small community hospital in my hometown. Everything there is so slow paced and I hate sitting there doing nothing. I was wondering what the chances are of being stationed somewhere with little to no action if I were to become a doctor in the military.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are high that you will spend at least a few years of your career in a place with nothing exciting happening

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. If you want fast paced intense trauma you need to go to an inner city knife and gun club hospital, not join the military.

Adrenaline seeking is not a good reason to go into the military. Join a skydiving or rock climbing club.