Military experience (Navy ODS questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked to a recruiter a month ago because I want to be a Navy doctor. He gave me alot of info and I just wanted to run some of it by people who have actually experience it. Firstly he said that doctors lifestyles are alot more relaxed then alot of the other jobs and he said that physicians do not have to PT in the morning or go to formation but rather they just wake up and go to the clinic/ hospital like normal. Is this true? I thought everyone had to PT? He said for the most part it would be kind of like a 9-5 schedule unless i had a surgery or something come up ( I want to be a surgeon). Maybe he meant just at the clinic at base and not an actually military hospital.. ALso has anyone done a GMO tour? My dad's heart surgeon use to be in the Navy and he did a GMO and he said he actually thought he came back a better doctor for it and alot of people I have talked to have said the similar things. What was your experience? Did you do HSPS, go to USU, or do another program? What was a "typical" day like?
Also I had a few questions about ODS. I know in boot camp everyone showers in a big open shower facility for a very short amount of time. Is this how it is at ODS ? I also heard that they get more privacy than boot camp since they are technically commissioned officers. Also I heard that you get paid for ODS. Can you use that money to cover uniform and other costs that you concur there or do you just get it after graduation of ODS? If this is the case then how much money did you end up spending at ODS. I also read a blog from someone that's been and they said the USU crew that attended got to do more military stuff on the side or got to go more places on liberty... not really sure how they phrased it but they basically said that USU students had more opportunities and got treated differently then HPSP. Any thoughts?
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the Navy. I wasn't a doctor, but I knew a few. Worse, I've known a few since. Pay close attention to your residency and any agreement you make regarding them. Once you've completed your internship you're eligible for deployment. Depending on the needs of the Navy, they may deploy you when you've tackled that hurdle. If that happens, you may need to finish a residency to practice medicine in the US after your service contract expires. Do your research here. The Navy is perhaps the best place on earth, but for a new doctor... It may cost you years and thousands if you aren't careful. Read the fine print.

I was in the Navy. I wasn't a doctor, but I knew a few. Worse, I've known a few since. Pay close attention to your residency and any agreement you make regarding them. Once you've completed your internship you're eligible for deployment. Depending on the needs of the Navy, they may deploy you when you've tackled that hurdle. If that happens, you may need to finish a residency to practice medicine in the US after your service contract expires. Do your research here. The Navy is perhaps the best place on earth, but for a new doctor... It may cost you years and thousands if you aren't careful. Read the fine print.
What was your job in the navy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't seen you around for a while, browneyes!

I'm new to the Navy and an incoming USU student, just finished ODS two weeks ago.

Short answer: Individual shower stalls, and it depends. Our company had their act together and seemed to get treated substantially better. The other company had professionalism issues that meant they had a rougher time. So it depends on you, your fellow sailors, and your chief. Do your best, help others, and be flexible. The program will probably be different by the time you get there.

We do get paid while at ODS. For females, uniform costs ranged from around $2,300 to $3,000+. The uniform stipend is $400. The Military Star Card 10% discount off first day's purchase is nice if 1. you qualify for the card and 2. don't blow the discount on a candy bar (so I hear). You do pay for your own chow at ODS, and depending on how fancy your liberty buddies are, weekends can get pretty expensive in Newport. Lots of extras to buy as well - class challenge coins, company t-shirts, gifts for class team/birthday folks, official photos, snack/coffee funds... USU crew did nothing different than anyone else - the only thing that comes to mind is that we got our medical records handed to us, while HPSP got their sent to their schools (I think)... whoo hoo.

Haven't seen you around for a while, browneyes!

I'm new to the Navy and an incoming USU student, just finished ODS two weeks ago.

Short answer: Individual shower stalls, and it depends. Our company had their act together and seemed to get treated substantially better. The other company had professionalism issues that meant they had a rougher time. So it depends on you, your fellow sailors, and your chief. Do your best, help others, and be flexible. The program will probably be different by the time you get there.

We do get paid while at ODS. For females, uniform costs ranged from around $2,300 to $3,000+. The uniform stipend is $400. The Military Star Card 10% discount off first day's purchase is nice if 1. you qualify for the card and 2. don't blow the discount on a candy bar (so I hear). You do pay for your own chow at ODS, and depending on how fancy your liberty buddies are, weekends can get pretty expensive in Newport. Lots of extras to buy as well - class challenge coins, company t-shirts, gifts for class team/birthday folks, official photos, snack/coffee funds... USU crew did nothing different than anyone else - the only thing that comes to mind is that we got our medical records handed to us, while HPSP got their sent to their schools (I think)... whoo hoo.
Congratulations on getting into USU! It's definietly in my top 3. I know this isn't about my question but is there anything in particular that you thought helped you get in or was it just high MCAT scores? I heard USU is pretty conpetitve.
So is the 400$ the total that you got at ODS? What was your favorite/ least favorite part about it? Also how often did you guys PT?

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on getting into USU! It's definietly in my top 3. I know this isn't about my question but is there anything in particular that you thought helped you get in or was it just high MCAT scores? I heard USU is pretty conpetitve.
So is the 400$ the total that you got at ODS? What was your favorite/ least favorite part about it? Also how often did you guys PT?

Thank you. It is never just MCAT scores, but that is the component of the application I would focus on if you haven't already taken it. Do EC's you actually enjoy, and stick with them. Attend a USU open house before applications or find out if they are coming to a conference etc. near you. Apply early in the season. Listen to the words of those that have gone before you, even (especially) the ugly truths from fellow SDN'ers. It's a big, binding deal, and the decision has to be 100% right... for YOU.

No, $400 was the uniform stipend. ODS was tons of fun, personally. Least favorite for me was trying to figure out saluting (who, when, how long) in the early weeks. Favorite is definitely the camaraderie. We didn't get to PT as much as we thought we would, but we did more in the later weeks.

Thank you. It is never just MCAT scores, but that is the component of the application I would focus on if you haven't already taken it. Do EC's you actually enjoy, and stick with them. Attend a USU open house before applications or find out if they are coming to a conference etc. near you. Apply early in the season. Listen to the words of those that have gone before you, even (especially) the ugly truths from fellow SDN'ers. It's a big, binding deal, and the decision has to be 100% right... for YOU.

No, $400 was the uniform stipend. ODS was tons of fun, personally. Least favorite for me was trying to figure out saluting (who, when, how long) in the early weeks. Favorite is definitely the camaraderie. We didn't get to PT as much as we thought we would, but we did more in the later weeks.
I heard If you go to USU then you basically have to retire in the military cause all the time requirements keep adding up. Is that true? I know USU has a 7 year requirment then my understanding is you also have to pay back your residency time? Also did you have above a 30 on the MCAT?

What kind of training did you have to go through as far as basic?

Different animal. It was more than 20 years ago and times have changed. You'll do fine, it's brainless repetition. Just keep your mouth shut. They don't care what you think and don't ask questions. Being in the service will be an experience that shapes you and that you'd never want to miss, but you'll recommend nobody else do it. I can't explain it, I'm sitting here thinking you couldn't do anything to get me to go back, but I loved ever minute. You'll soon learn, NAVY stands for never again volunteer yourself.

Adressing your several issues

ODS: Stop thinking/worrying about this. Its 5 weeks of summer camp that you can't fail. Mid career warrant officer candidates go through it. Elderly surgeons coming in as Commanders go through it. F-ing Chaplains go through it! Get all of your full metal jacket inspired fears out of your head. This is not boot camp, it is a box to check. The only indignities come in the form of powerpoint presentations. This will be the single least stressful thing you ever do, and should have no bearing one was or another on your decision to join the military.

PT: Your recruiter was right that physicians do not, in general, do organized PT (though on rare occasion a particularly oblivious hospital CO will have a mandatory monthly fun run), stand in formation, or otherwise play at being enlisted Marines. Every 6 months you will be required to pass a physical fitness test (which pretty much everyone passes) and pass a weigh in (which people can and do fail). Its on you to be prepared for the PT.

GMO tours: This is important to understand. About 70% of the Navy , 30% of the AF, and 10% of the Army will do a 2 or 3 year GMO tour in between Internship and residency. You provide primary care to healthy adolescents and a handful of middle aged NCOs/officers, and supervise the work/training of corpsmen. Is this a good thing? Opinions vary. Many people on this board contend that, looking back, they did things that were unsafe, because they didn't know what they were doing. That being said I have met many people who felt it was a positive experience and they provided good care.

Obligation: When you get out of residency, you owe whatever you owed going into residency, or the length of your training, whichever is more. The obligations don't add. If you go to fellowship, at the endyou owe what you owed going in plus the length of fellowship.

Things you didn't ask about, that should be foremost in your mind: How the military affects your choice of residency, how the military affects your quality of residency training, and your practice environment as a physician.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard If you go to USU then you basically have to retire in the military cause all the time requirements keep adding up. Is that true? I know USU has a 7 year requirment then my understanding is you also have to pay back your residency time? Also did you have above a 30 on the MCAT?

Also did you have to shave your head at ODS?

Whoa there! No, I did not shave my head for ODS. It is not OCS. ODS is SO NOT a big deal. I read it on these forums beforehand and still was not prepared for how easy it was. It is summer camp with PowerPoint. Don't even think about shaving your head for it. Not for ODS. Actually, don't even think about ODS until you have orders in your hands to report there. Then think about ODS. :)

As for your USUHS questions, yes you should absolutely aim to get a balanced, new MCAT score higher than the equivalent of 30 on the old test. (Yes I did) Every year it gets more competitive - aim high. As for the rest, Perrotfish nailed it. :)

Every year, things change, and everyone's experience is a little different... but if you're really curious if you're a good fit for USUHS and USUHS is a good fit for you, I'd suggest you start here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search/13245502/?q=uniformed&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=962

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sea...t&o=relevance&g=1&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=135

Last edited: