Military Medicine: Pros, Cons, and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should only ever consider military medicine if you would be happy being a just a Junior Officer. That's why it is a great fit for prior service members. However, if you decided to become a Military Doc in spite of the military part there is very good chance you will hate it. Joining the military involves sacrificing a MASSIVE amount of personal freedom. Not having the option to quit a **** job, not having the option live where you please will grind on you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am strongly considering signing up for a military IM position. I am currently a BC IM working as a hospitalist at a big academic center. What are the chances of being deployed and will I be in danger physically as a hospitalist in the army? Will I have a choice to where I could be stationed at? I spoke to a recruiter and was told that I would do 4 + 4 years as AD and inactive. I find army very respectable and would also get US citizenship instantly, would be waiting about 11 years otherwise. I also have no loans. My wife will be completing her OBGYN residency in June 2015 as well and we don't plan on having kids for another 2 or 3 years. She has no loans either and seems open to this idea. I tried to ask for 3 + 5 years as AD and inactive but was told I wouldn't qualify for the signing on bonus which is 80 grand annually for AD. what work does IM usually do as military physician? Please share your thoughts, is it worth it in my situation? Military physicians specially. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am strongly considering signing up for a military IM position. I am currently a BC IM working as a hospitalist at a big academic center. What are the chances of being deployed and will I be in danger physically as a hospitalist in the army? Will I have a choice to where I could be stationed at? I spoke to a recruiter and was told that I would do 4 + 4 years as AD and inactive. I find army very respectable and would also get US citizenship instantly, would be waiting about 11 years otherwise. I also have no loans. My wife will be completing her OBGYN residency in June 2015 as well and we don't plan on having kids for another 2 or 3 years. She has no loans either and seems open to this idea. I tried to ask for 3 + 5 years as AD and inactive but was told I wouldn't qualify for the signing on bonus which is 80 grand annually for AD. what work does IM usually do as military physician? Please share your thoughts, is it worth it in my situation? Military physicians specially. Thanks.

You are exceedingly likely to be deployed and probably in less danger physically while deployed than you get from your current commute. You'll be an internist, not a hospitalist, in all likelihood. Most military practices are old-school combos of clinic and ward work (far more likely to be in a clinic only job than a inpatient only job). The bigger issue is where you'll be stationed. There are some terrible army bases. That said, if you can get them to promise you a billet for signing up, you'd be likely to be able to stay there for the 4 years. For IM, the pay is pretty good and the job isn't terrible. Lots of petty frustrations but the patient population deserves great care. I guess its a question of what citizenship is worth to you. Your wife will probably hate this decision (you'll deploy right when she's ready to start a family, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and why army?
Army is the only branch that is hiring non citizens at this time! Navy and AF recruiters expressed helplessness after learning my immigrant status!
What if my wife also joined as a reserve or AD being obgyn? I know about joint domicile but how likely is it that it will actually work to be stationed together? Can we expect to be deployed together to the same arena with JD? Will they possibly make her work as a general surgeon citing army needs?
For me citizenship and the benefits that come with it is extremely attractive lol!
Thanks for replying I appreciate your input!

Last edited:
You are exceedingly likely to be deployed and probably in less danger physically while deployed than you get from your current commute. You'll be an internist, not a hospitalist, in all likelihood. Most military practices are old-school combos of clinic and ward work (far more likely to be in a clinic only job than a inpatient only job). The bigger issue is where you'll be stationed. There are some terrible army bases. That said, if you can get them to promise you a billet for signing up, you'd be likely to be able to stay there for the 4 years. For IM, the pay is pretty good and the job isn't terrible. Lots of petty frustrations but the patient population deserves great care. I guess its a question of what citizenship is worth to you. Your wife will probably hate this decision (you'll deploy right when she's ready to start a family, etc).
my recruiter told me I will be working mostly inpatient Monday to Friday 7AM to 4 PM. Does that mean no weekends or nights? That didn't sound right, seems like an OP schedule...

Does anyone know if direct accessions, who in no way have ever been involved in the military, and sign a 4 year contract,
are eligible for the Multiyear Special Pay as well as the Multiyear Incentive Special Pay? I have heard conflicting opinions and we are talking about significant monies?

my recruiter told me I will be working mostly inpatient Monday to Friday 7AM to 4 PM. Does that mean no weekends or nights? That didn't sound right, seems like an OP schedule...

One of the mysteries with recruiters is whether they are just misguided or know they are lying. There is a 0.1% chance your recruiter has any clue about your future duties should you sign up. DC is the only place that I knew of with a pure hospitalist model (and of course they work weekends).

What if my wife also joined as a reserve or AD being obgyn? I know about joint domicile but how likely is it that it will actually work to be stationed together?

One thing you'll hear repeatedly on this forum is that the needs of the military come first. While your bosses will occasionally try to make things work out such as stationing both you and your wife together, if Arkansas needs an internist and Hawaii needs a gynecologist, you could be split up.

Will they possibly make her work as a general surgeon citing army needs?

No, you still have to work within your discipline. For a gynecologist to start taking out gallbladders and appendixes is tantamount to malpractice.

For me citizenship and the benefits that come with it is extremely attractive lol!

I don't know how to help you there. A lot of us took the scholarship thinking that the money was attractive, too, then we ended up on this forum bitching about our workload, the endless computer-based training, and the lack of any say in what's happening in our medical centers.

One thing you'll hear repeatedly on this forum is that the needs of the military come first. While your bosses will occasionally try to make things work out such as stationing both you and your wife together, if Arkansas needs an internist and Hawaii needs a gynecologist, you could be split up.

No, you still have to work within your discipline. For a gynecologist to start taking out gallbladders and appendixes is tantamount to malpractice.

I don't know how to help you there. A lot of us took the scholarship thinking that the money was attractive, too, then we ended up on this forum bitching about our workload, the endless computer-based training, and the lack of any say in what's happening in our medical centers.

Thank you for your reply. In my current job at a big academic center as a hospitalist, we are required to do what I feel is excessive computer training and having no control over the administrative running of the hospital, but I can't obviously compare it to what the military has without being there. The only concern that I have with signing up is the uncertainty of where I could be stationed and the possibility of being separated from my wife if stationed apart. The thought of losing control over your life to the army is sort of tough to digest, but I guess that's a given if joining the military. I wonder if you can estimate what the chances of me and my wife being stationed apart would be?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. In my current job at a big academic center as a hospitalist, we are required to do what I feel is excessive computer training and having no control over the administrative running of the hospital, but I can't obviously compare it to what the military has without being there. The only concern that I have with signing up is the uncertainty of where I could be stationed and the possibility of being separated from my wife if stationed apart. The thought of losing control over your life to the army is sort of tough to digest, but I guess that's a given if joining the military. I wonder if you can estimate what the chances of me and my wife being stationed apart would be?

I'm currently active duty military, although not as a physician (yet). I would not advise that both you and your wife join the military. If you're going to join, which sounds reasonable, then have her find a civilian position near the base that you're stationed at. Both of you joining will carry a massive risk of separation. While they do *attempt* to keep spouses together, there's still a significant chance of separation.

Your chances of deployment are 100%. I'm not sure what the length of army deployments are, but you can expect to do at least two trips of 6 months to 1 year duration. Find an actual army doc on here somewhere and ask him. Your chances of actual death on a deployment are nearly 0%. You'll be at a large base away from any direct combat.

You should assume that you'll get a crappy base out in the middle of nowhere. However, you're only there for four years. Your wife may have difficulty finding work at this location. But again, it's only four years. I think there's a good chance she's be able to find work, however. If not, she can use the time to potentially start a family.

I'm currently active duty military, although not as a physician (yet). I would not advise that both you and your wife join the military. If you're going to join, which sounds reasonable, then have her find a civilian position near the base that you're stationed at. Both of you joining will carry a massive risk of separation. While they do *attempt* to keep spouses together, there's still a significant chance of separation.

Your chances of deployment are 100%. I'm not sure what the length of army deployments are, but you can expect to do at least two trips of 6 months to 1 year duration. Find an actual army doc on here somewhere and ask him. Your chances of actual death on a deployment are nearly 0%. You'll be at a large base away from any direct combat.

You should assume that you'll get a crappy base out in the middle of nowhere. However, you're only there for four years. Your wife may have difficulty finding work at this location. But again, it's only four years. I think there's a good chance she's be able to find work, however. If not, she can use the time to potentially start a family.
Thank you for your reply. I am in the works of finding an army doc preferably an IM to have those questions asked. Yet, your post was helpful too.

Last edited:
I
I am sad that your military experience has been negative, I am in the Army, a HPSP counselor, nurse and a pre-med major. I would like to say your experience is unique but I know that is not true, I can also say that others have not experienced the same thing. I know nothing of Navy medicine but I know the military in general is a sacrifice at times, I am no different than being a cop in some ways but when it all boils down to it. I made a choice to serve and service in itself is my reward. I didn't do it for pay or prestige but to make a difference. Kind of the same reason I am choosing medicine. I love people.

The main reason that physicians are so esteemed in society is because they have the awesome responsibility of caring for the sick and preserving life. As a nurse I have encountered many physicians that treat patients like their condition, an annoyance instead of treating the patient as a patient. Physicians worrying more about if they are going to get paid rather than whether or not they can preserve life. Military medicine is at least free from the hassles of malpractice and HMOs. It's funny but nowhere in the Hippocratic oath or the Osteopathic oath does it mention making loads of money. The profession of medicine is about one thing to me at least, the patient. Now I know you may believe that junior enlisted members are shown preferential treatment but I also know that in the Army at least, they sometimes live under conditions that officers would never be subjected to and for less pay at that.

Don't get me wrong, I am not attacking you. I believe what you say has merit, however it is not the only experience that military physicians experience. I went to the Downstate College of medicine commencement and the Dean of the school said it best "if you got into the profession of medicine to get rich, you are in the wrong profession, if you think that a physician will make loads of money and go on exotic vacations the on call pager will dispel that illusion."

I know that you have had to make sacrifices, sacrifices in time from family and financially, however, patriotism aside, there is another human being out there willing to take a bullet to preserve our way of life, your way of life. He doesn't care that he is not rich, he pays no mind to the sacrifices he must make as well. he is willing to die so that we can say what we want, make however much we want and live where we want. Army physicians, even the ones deployed will never, NEVER, sleep on the ground next to their weapon or ride along in a convoy they may never return from or stink without a shower for weeks because they are out in the field and definitely not for $24,000 a year.

You may leave the service and you are still my brother Sir because for whatever reason, mercenary, selfish, selfless or compassionate, you made the choice to put on a uniform to defend what we stand for. Bless you sir and thank you for your sacrifice.
I love you! Thank you so much for your words of inspiration. It's for the desire to serve that I'm working on getting in myself.l
I'll like to say a few things about some of the other comments made in this forum.

I am currently a resident in a large hospital for the Navy. Someone mentioned something about equipment/education and such. I think we have great equipment. I have been able to rotate in 6 other hospitals in town (and also in Willford Hall for ICU) and I think we have superior equipment and availability of drugs. Nonetheless, some yahoo in charge made the decision a while back to disengage everyone over 65. Now tell me.....what do you think that does for the education for internal medicine, cardiology, surgery, GI, anesthesia, and down the line? It kills it. Yet some how, that saves money because now those over 65 get care at a civilian hospital.

However, I also work in our pain clinic, and there is not a better population to work with. I feel proud to be able to take care of these guys (marines mostly) that come back from Iraq with wounds.

I also wanted to comment about GMO status - someone a few posts back mentioned that the Navy will soon have to send over qualified people to fill GMO billets. I think this is happening to some extend, although I am not quite sure it is the reason stated. Air Craft Carriers, instead of having GMO's on them (like I was), it is now staffed with FP docs (they got to love that!).

Also, it amazes me how detailers take highly trained individuals and stick them in far away places doing things that are a waste of their time. I have known 2 cardiothoracic surgeons get deployed on a ship or something where they may do a few colonoscopies. That does great things for a person trying to maintain skills. :)

Finally, I wanted to make a comment about my experience at officer indoctrination school that kind of sums up the dichotomy I feel in the Navy. The instructors and people that were billeted to yell at us at OIS would always say that we were "An officer first, a doctor second." I always found this absolutely hilarious......let's see, what did I do to become a doctor? I spent hours and hours of blood, sweat and tears, lost sleep, stressed out, increased debt, etc. over a period of 8-10 years. What did I do to become a Naval Officer? I signed on a piece of paper and gave it to the recruiter - the whole thing took 10 minutes. Yeah right, I can see your point that I should value being an officer over being a doctor.

Love your post! So true. On my way to being a psychologist through Hpsp and I think " there is no way ill be an officer first." I may have a title of "officer" but I won't be "officering" as my job description. No, I'll be helping soldiers save themselves from suicide, ill be treating PTSD, ill be calming nerves, saving marriages, and teaching parenting skills. All these tools I learned, in like you said, 10+ years of school, internships, externships, practicums; all at expense of sleep, relationships, family vacations, favorite exercise. Yeah, my profession is who I am and what I do. Being called "officer" isn't at all the glam as it is for those who have no other purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of being deployed and will I be in danger physically as a hospitalist in the army?

If you have any reservations about deploying to a 'dangerous' area you should not join the military. The illusion that you are safer in a more developed base is just that; an illusion. I'm not a doctor yet but I've been on a deployment that took me to multiple locations and the threat is real no matter where you are. We had physicians at the smallest FOBs as well as the more developed multinational bases and they're all exposed to the same danger. You're just as vulnerable (in my opinion more vulnerable if you're not wearing gear) inside the base than you are outside because you can't hide from an incoming mortar round like you can small arms fire. At one of the bases I was at there was a Soldier that got blown up when a mortar round landed on top of him when he was walking out of the shower trailer back to his room. It doesn't matter if you're in a hospital, on patrol or in your bunk; you're in danger if you're deployed. You shouldn't have the military pay for your school if this is something you don't think you'd be able to handle.

If you have any reservations about deploying to a 'dangerous' area you should not join the military. The illusion that you are safer in a more developed base is just that; an illusion. I'm not a doctor yet but I've been on a deployment that took me to multiple locations and the threat is real no matter where you are. We had physicians at the smallest FOBs as well as the more developed multinational bases and they're all exposed to the same danger. You're just as vulnerable (in my opinion more vulnerable if you're not wearing gear) inside the base than you are outside because you can't hide from an incoming mortar round like you can small arms fire. At one of the bases I was at there was a Soldier that got blown up when a mortar round landed on top of him when he was walking out of the shower trailer back to his room. It doesn't matter if you're in a hospital, on patrol or in your bunk; you're in danger if you're deployed. You shouldn't have the military pay for your school if this is something you don't think you'd be able to handle.
I appreciate your response. I am already a board certified internist and do not require financial assistance from the military. Joining would give me U.S. Citizenship so that I can be an officer. I am on a work visa currently along with my wife. My parents have a tourist visa and can not stay longer than 6 months normally with us and we live in separate countries. If I do not join the military it would take about 11 years from now for me to be get citizenship. If I join not only do I gain citizenship, my wife and parents also get a green card and the freedom to live and work here.
Now is this worth putting my life to an end? To answer that one must look at odds of dying/getting injured down range vs. living your civilian day to day life here stateside. I drive about 12000 miles a year, most of them while the weather is such in Northeast.
So although it is unfortunate you had to see a soldier get hit by mortar and get killed, it happens all the time every day to people not in military and the incidence of physicians dying in the military would not be any higher, there is no solid evidence on the contrary.

I appreciate your response. I am already a board certified internist and do not require financial assistance from the military. Joining would give me U.S. Citizenship so that I can be an officer. I am on a work visa currently along with my wife. My parents have a tourist visa and can not stay longer than 6 months normally with us and we live in separate countries. If I do not join the military it would take about 11 years from now for me to be get citizenship. If I join not only do I gain citizenship, my wife and parents also get a green card and the freedom to live and work here.
Now is this worth putting my life to an end? To answer that one must look at odds of dying/getting injured down range vs. living your civilian day to day life here stateside. I drive about 12000 miles a year, most of them while the weather is such in Northeast.
So although it is unfortunate you had to see a soldier get hit by mortar and get killed, it happens all the time every day to people not in military and the incidence of physicians dying in the military would not be any higher, there is no solid evidence on the contrary.

You've got this process backward.

Physicians in the U.S. military are commissioned officers, and you don't get a commission unless you are already a U.S. citizen. If you are joining the military in order to help you gain citizenship, then you are enlisting in the armed forces. You would not be a military physician. You would go to boot camp, be assigned an MOS, and go to AIT just like a kid who joins out of high school does.

Physicians in the U.S. military are commissioned officers, and you don't get a commission unless you are already a U.S. citizen. If you are joining the military in order to help you gain citizenship, then you are enlisting in the armed forces. You would not be a military physician. You would go to boot camp, be assigned an MOS, and go to AIT just like a kid who joins out of high school does.
That would be partly incorrect. Although you are right I will be enlisting in the reserves to join the military as a specialist. That is just a temporary step, lasting usually 2-3 months on average, once enlisted the Army will process my citizenship after I attend a weekend drill, there my commander signs my citizenship paperwork which then goes to USCIS and I get it in about 2-3 months during which I remain an enlisted specialist. After citizenship we wait some more to get commissioning orders and then to Fort Sam. I urge you to Google "MAVNI for physicians" or simply go to http://www.ecfmg.org/echo/mavni.html, there is no boot camp or AIT whatsoever.

There are physicians/dentists currently in the Army who have gone through this, have spoken to them, in touch with a couple currently at BOLC. Navy and AF are not participating currently.

That would be partly incorrect. Although you are right I will be enlisting in the reserves to join the military as a specialist. That is just a temporary step, lasting usually 2-3 months on average, once enlisted the Army will process my citizenship after I attend a weekend drill, there my commander signs my citizenship paperwork which then goes to USCIS and I get it in about 2-3 months during which I remain an enlisted specialist. After citizenship we wait some more to get commissioning orders and then to Fort Sam. I urge you to Google "MAVNI for physicians" or simply go to http://www.ecfmg.org/echo/mavni.html, there is no boot camp or AIT whatsoever.

Cool. Thanks for the link. Get everything in writing.

Cool. Thanks for the link. Get everything in writing.
You are welcome! Thank you for all the resources you and others have provided here as well, I have spent countless hours going through them. I'd like to think I am making an informed decision :)

I say go for it. Physicians are extremely unlikely to die or get injured while deployed. In Iraq, I have seen people dying due to various reasons (motar attack, helicoptor crash, etc. ) but what amazed me was that we lost more soldiers to traffic accidents or bar fights once we got back.

I say go for it. Physicians are extremely unlikely to die or get injured while deployed. In Iraq, I have seen people dying due to various reasons (motar attack, helicoptor crash, etc. ) but what amazed me was that we lost more soldiers to traffic accidents or bar fights once we got back.
Yup! That's how it seems.

I

I love you! Thank you so much for your words of inspiration. It's for the desire to serve that I'm working on getting in myself.l

Love your post! So true. On my way to being a psychologist through Hpsp and I think " there is no way ill be an officer first." I may have a title of "officer" but I won't be "officering" as my job description. No, I'll be helping soldiers save themselves from suicide, ill be treating PTSD, ill be calming nerves, saving marriages, and teaching parenting skills. All these tools I learned, in like you said, 10+ years of school, internships, externships, practicums; all at expense of sleep, relationships, family vacations, favorite exercise. Yeah, my profession is who I am and what I do. Being called "officer" isn't at all the glam as it is for those who have no other purpose.

Until you get a line assignment with a BCT as the brigade psychologist. I serve with several right now who struggle and hate their job. Monthly field training exercises, sleeping in their bivy sack or under their desk if their idiot company commander forgot to set up the tent. They get treated like children because they "aren't real officers" and don't know how to Army like the others. Good luck on never having to be an officer. Your time will come.

"As a physician serving in the Army, you get to focus on practicing medicine. If you see the need for a test that is clinically recommended, you can go ahead and order the test. You don’t have to worry about dealing with health insurance. Our Army physicians don’t have to carry malpractice insurance. Depending on the medical specialty, for example Obstetrics & Gynecology, that can be an overwhelming burden in civilian practice. Army physicians don’t have to worry about staffing, billing, overhead, insurance—they get to focus on practicing medicine.
Army medicine is at the forefront of medical technology and innovation. At Army hospitals, we have da Vinci systems—robotic surgery. We have research institutes that are working on regrowing cartilage. The Department of Defense funded the first face transplant. We have a potential breast cancer vaccine that is in a clinical trial now. We are very much on the cutting edge of medical advances.
There are quality of life reasons for a physician to consider Army service. For the Army, physicians are not revenue generators. The Army needs physicians in order to take care of our soldiers and their families. There is not a dollar figure or a bottom line tied to our physicians. This becomes reflected in the quality of life of our physicians and their families.
Family life on a military base is rich, with many of the same pursuits one would enjoy anywhere else without leaving the base. Considerations of security and community are strong positives in Army life. Programs for spouses and children are very much present. The health benefits are excellent.
A good applicant for Army medicine would be one who had good reasons for becoming a physician in the first place—to serve, to give back—but also someone who wants to reap some of the rewards of military service in the areas of leadership, excitement, adventure, and travel. Those are the kind of applicants that we’re trying to attract to Army medicine.
Often, physicians might not initially consider serving in the military, because they are so focused on the medical profession. They probably see the military as a separate profession, a profession unto itself. But when you look at what we do, and consider why most of us went into these seemingly separate professions, it becomes apparent there is a lot of overlap.
Sometimes the first reaction to the idea of Army medicine is to think in terms of deployment, or being sent abroad. While this is a possibility, the reality is that the Army has 11 teaching hospitals, 10 in the United States and one in Germany. At these hospitals, we have 40,000 clinic visits each day. We deliver, on average, 64 babies in Army hospitals each day. That’s Army medicine. Serving at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center or at Brooke Army Medical Center is not very different from serving at a civilian medical center. Medicine is medicine."

Sounds very rosy! Dont't know how many actually agree with above.

Until you get a line assignment with a BCT as the brigade psychologist. I serve with several right now who struggle and hate their job. Monthly field training exercises, sleeping in their bivy sack or under their desk if their idiot company commander forgot to set up the tent. They get treated like children because they "aren't real officers" and don't know how to Army like the others. Good luck on never having to be an officer. Your time will come.
Ok, school me. Clearly I am in the wrong here. I gather from what you are saying that being an officer comes first? I can see if I was a chaplain, or some LT with soldiers under my supervision who need direction/sheppareding. How is the role of a military psychologist look like if one is an officer. I wouldnt have 'soldiers' under my supervision would I? I would love you to clarify, and tell me up front to so that I am not as miserable as the psychologists you speak of in that I know my expectations are realistic. Many thanks! :)

"As a physician serving in the Army, you get to focus on practicing medicine. If you see the need for a test that is clinically recommended, you can go ahead and order the test. You don’t have to worry about dealing with health insurance. Our Army physicians don’t have to carry malpractice insurance. Depending on the medical specialty, for example Obstetrics & Gynecology, that can be an overwhelming burden in civilian practice. Army physicians don’t have to worry about staffing, billing, overhead, insurance—they get to focus on practicing medicine.
Army medicine is at the forefront of medical technology and innovation. At Army hospitals, we have da Vinci systems—robotic surgery. We have research institutes that are working on regrowing cartilage. The Department of Defense funded the first face transplant. We have a potential breast cancer vaccine that is in a clinical trial now. We are very much on the cutting edge of medical advances.
There are quality of life reasons for a physician to consider Army service. For the Army, physicians are not revenue generators. The Army needs physicians in order to take care of our soldiers and their families. There is not a dollar figure or a bottom line tied to our physicians. This becomes reflected in the quality of life of our physicians and their families.
Family life on a military base is rich, with many of the same pursuits one would enjoy anywhere else without leaving the base. Considerations of security and community are strong positives in Army life. Programs for spouses and children are very much present. The health benefits are excellent.
A good applicant for Army medicine would be one who had good reasons for becoming a physician in the first place—to serve, to give back—but also someone who wants to reap some of the rewards of military service in the areas of leadership, excitement, adventure, and travel. Those are the kind of applicants that we’re trying to attract to Army medicine.
Often, physicians might not initially consider serving in the military, because they are so focused on the medical profession. They probably see the military as a separate profession, a profession unto itself. But when you look at what we do, and consider why most of us went into these seemingly separate professions, it becomes apparent there is a lot of overlap.
Sometimes the first reaction to the idea of Army medicine is to think in terms of deployment, or being sent abroad. While this is a possibility, the reality is that the Army has 11 teaching hospitals, 10 in the United States and one in Germany. At these hospitals, we have 40,000 clinic visits each day. We deliver, on average, 64 babies in Army hospitals each day. That’s Army medicine. Serving at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center or at Brooke Army Medical Center is not very different from serving at a civilian medical center. Medicine is medicine."

Can you tell me what is actual reality from the painted ideal you listed?How little do MD's actually "practice medicine?" As a becoming psycholoigst, do you see any difference in their work and 'non-medicine' burdens?

I will use my examples to give you an idea. When I enlisted in the Army many years ago, I was told I could take night classes at a local community college, paid for by the Army. However, it was completely up to the discretion of my company commander who decided whether I should have such a privilege. I was able to take only two college courses over the five years of my enlistment due to training schedules, deployment, etc. I know a guy whose request to take college classes was rejected because he had not done anything for the Army yet, being fresh out of the basic training and AIT. In another example, I was forced to reschedule my dental appointment (for crowns and implant) up to 3 times, and then I got deployed to Iraq with my dental issues unaddressed. Right after the deployment, I was separated from the Army, so in effect I had no access to the so-called free dental care. So yeah, the Army will advertise many great things, but whether YOU will have access to them really depends. You might just get lucky and reap all the benefits, but there is no way of telling at this point.

You might just get lucky and reap all the benefits, but there is no way of telling at this point.

I was told that I would get to go to residency directly from medical school and that I would get to go to fellowship – neither one of which became a reality. Your recruiters, superiors, and specialty leaders will flat out lying you about opportunity simply because there is no consequence for doing so.

I did a search of the thread but didn't come up with much for psychiatry. Are they currently in high demand in mil med, and dies anyone have any perspectives on mil mental health?

Reactions: 1 user
I am an active duty hospitalist. Your recruiter is not a physician. You need to ask other military physicians theit schedules. I work just as many weekends as if I was a civillian. Sorry that your recruiter is giving you the wrong info

I did a search of the thread but didn't come up with much for psychiatry. Are they currently in high demand in mil med, and dies anyone have any perspectives on mil mental health?
yes and underfilled

I was told that I would get to go to residency directly from medical school and that I would get to go to fellowship – neither one of which became a reality. Your recruiters, superiors, and specialty leaders will flat out lying you about opportunity simply because there is no consequence for doing so.
You need to ask other military physician. It depends on your branch, specialty, demand, and your merit.

I will use my examples to give you an idea. When I enlisted in the Army many years ago, I was told I could take night classes at a local community college, paid for by the Army. However, it was completely up to the discretion of my company commander who decided whether I should have such a privilege. I was able to take only two college courses over the five years of my enlistment due to training schedules, deployment, etc. I know a guy whose request to take college classes was rejected because he had not done anything for the Army yet, being fresh out of the basic training and AIT. In another example, I was forced to reschedule my dental appointment (for crowns and implant) up to 3 times, and then I got deployed to Iraq with my dental issues unaddressed. Right after the deployment, I was separated from the Army, so in effect I had no access to the so-called free dental care. So yeah, the Army will advertise many great things, but whether YOU will have access to them really depends. You might just get lucky and reap all the benefits, but there is no way of telling at this point.
A military physician is not enlisted and this will not happen

I am an active duty hospitalist. Your recruiter is not a physician. You need to ask other military physicians theit schedules. I work just as many weekends as if I was a civillian. Sorry that your recruiter is giving you the wrong info
Are you 7 on 7 off like civilian? How many patient encounters do you have as a hospitalist? Is your shift 7 am to 7 pm or something different? Are their dedicated nocturnists in your hospitalist group? Is icu closed? I know every hospital must have their own system that they follow, please do tell which MTF you post about. Thanks.

Are you 7 on 7 off like civilian? How many patient encounters do you have as a hospitalist? Is your shift 7 am to 7 pm or something different? Are their dedicated nocturnists in your hospitalist group? Is icu closed? I know every hospital must have their own system that they follow, please do tell which MTF you post about. Thanks.
Depends where you are. I am a major medical center not an isolated mtf. I am two weeks on service. When on service work from 8-5. No overnight in house. Every few days get after hour and early morning calls from residents. It is an academic setting so all teaching. 8-10 patients. When I am off service I have a variety of other responsibilities and usually work 4-5 eight hour days doing research/teaching/leadership.

If I'm not mistaken Psych is generally always on the critical wartime specialties list.

What abou
If I'm not mistaken Psych is generally always on the critical wartime specialties list.
What about psychologists? What does the need for them, their deployments outlook like , etc.? Anyone have any interactions w psychologists to give me an idea?

Patriotism and the US Military Have Deep Roots In Political Ideology. For Those Applying to US Residency Programs, I would caution all those given offers to enter US ARMY Orthopaedics Programs. Plausible Deniability empowers them to subject residents to all actions on their behelf. This is a real life scandal

I will not stand for an America where Chilean miners and highly-paid lobbyists can destroy our young entrepreneurs. Unlike my opponent, I believe in our hard-working teachers, our right to free speech and our perseverance.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone. Looking for opinions on how 12 years prior service, ARMY (4 active 8 reserves), changes things when it comes to deciding if I should do FAP when I start Family Residency this upcoming July? I already read up on the $45,000 plus monthly stipend, obligation ,etc. I think the old posts are probably less relevant now given that 9 years has past since this post started.

I am split knowing the benefits of continuing service versus setting up shop and/working civilian. No kids and not married. 30 y.o.

And if I decide to go FAP, should I switch over to the AIR FORCE. Thanks in advance.

Family medicine is always unfilled in the Army and if you have decent score you can probably name the place you want to in the Army. Your prior service also is a plus for the long term. I would say stick to the Army and retire out. That is the one specialty that wins inside the army. All others specialties lose financial

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

Word to the wise. Leave Madigan off your radar

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

Hello everyone. Looking for opinions on how 12 years prior service, ARMY (4 active 8 reserves), changes things when it comes to deciding if I should do FAP when I start Family Residency this upcoming July? I already read up on the $45,000 plus monthly stipend, obligation ,etc. I think the old posts are probably less relevant now given that 9 years has past since this post started.

I am split knowing the benefits of continuing service versus setting up shop and/working civilian. No kids and not married. 30 y.o.

And if I decide to go FAP, should I switch over to the AIR FORCE. Thanks in advance.

You only have 4 towards an AD retirement. That isn't a lot. If you had 12 legit active then I would probably encourage you, but with only 4 ... You would need to do 16 active to get a retirement, but only 8 in reserves. Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Straight civilian residency
2. Re-affiliate with the reserves as a doc when done
3. Work locums as a civilian in places that have high pay and kill your student loans (if you have any) in a year or two

That way you will continue to be relatively free and unencumbered without owing Uncle Sam anything too serious. If you get called up from the reserves you can make it work as you didn't just try and start a one man private practice. 8 years in the reserves as a doc and you can get a reserve retirement. Sure it doesn't kick in until later, but you shouldn't need the money if you crush your loans quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Post call. Overlooked the only 4 active. I agree with CooperdOg

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

Family medicine is always unfilled in the Army and if you have decent score you can probably name the place you want to in the Army. Your prior service also is a plus for the long term. I would say stick to the Army and retire out. That is the one specialty that wins inside the army. All others specialties lose financial

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

Thanks for input. Was just wondering how you know FM is always unfilled in the Army? or your background/experience? Thanks man. I passed STEP 3 already so I guess that will help too.

Military residency and AD may have still been worthwhile for the higher pay during residency, higher retirement pay, and earlier retirement eligibility but it sounds like that ship has passed.

Look into STRAP through the Guard or Reserve. Basically a $2k/month stipend with a 12 month obligation for every 6 months on the stipend. Starting the PGY-3 year, you can also get loan repayment currently at $40k a year. So for a FM residency, you would get $24k/year x 3 years, whatever drill pay you earn, $40k in loan repayment, and 3 years of RC time toward retirement during residency. So roughly $130k in pay and benefits. You then owe 6 years which would put you at 21 years of service when you finish your obligation. A 9 year commitment is a bit long but you have a decent idea of what you would be getting into...

Military residency and AD may have still been worthwhile for the higher pay during residency, higher retirement pay, and earlier retirement eligibility but it sounds like that ship has passed.

Look into STRAP through the Guard or Reserve. Basically a $2k/month stipend with a 12 month obligation for every 6 months on the stipend. Starting the PGY-3 year, you can also get loan repayment currently at $40k a year. So for a FM residency, you would get $24k/year x 3 years, whatever drill pay you earn, $40k in loan repayment, and 3 years of RC time toward retirement during residency. So roughly $130k in pay and benefits. You then owe 6 years which would put you at 21 years of service when you finish your obligation. A 9 year commitment is a bit long but you have a decent idea of what you would be getting into...

Thanks for the input. Well retirement once you start collecting is based on points accumulated. So more active time, the higher the retirement. It is a split decision in my situation given the 12 years.

I really like the idea of living comfortably in residency with the extra $70,000 X 3. And the idea of flying excites me. So FAP is what I am leaning towards.

Going to get my physical this week. I guess first things first; and get approved for the commission lol. Any more opinions are very much welcomed!

Is it harder to grab a military fellowship in IM like cards, gastro, hemeonc, etc.? I know IM residencies arent generally super competitive, but how many military spots are there for the fellowships? And how common is it to go straight through residency and fellowship in the military?