Military, Online, UMUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willdau

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELP!

I am currently a student at UMUC (University of Maryland University College). I am active-duty Air Force, currently stationed in Germany. UMUC is the only place near me that offers science pre-reqs, so I have no choice in school. I have taken several classes online, but none that are pre reqs for med school. I have a 4.0 and a lot of volunteer time. I plan on getting a lot of clinical experience as well, through job shadowing and volunteering. Do you think I can get into medical school? UMUC is completely unranked. If I maintain my GPA and kill the MCAT do I have a shot? Also, my home state is Oklahoma which appears to have high in-state acceptance rates (OU and OSU (DO))

Members don't see this ad.

Invest in MSAR Online to determine which schools will accept online credits. Some do, some don't. Mine does as lone as they're offered by an accredited university.

And many thanks to you for your service to our country!

HELP!

I am currently a student at UMUC (University of Maryland University College). I am active-duty Air Force, currently stationed in Germany. UMUC is the only place near me that offers science pre-reqs, so I have no choice in school. I have taken several classes online, but none that are pre reqs for med school. I have a 4.0 and a lot of volunteer time. I plan on getting a lot of clinical experience as well, through job shadowing and volunteering. Do you think I can get into medical school? UMUC is completely unranked. If I maintain my GPA and kill the MCAT do I have a shot? Also, my home state is Oklahoma which appears to have high in-state acceptance rates (OU and OSU (DO))

What about labs? I think a lot of schools are going to want to see some lab.

That 4.0 should serve you reasonably well (some schools do not accept online pre-reqs), but I think taking some upper-level science classes with labs, in-person at an accredited 4-year college, would be highly advantageous.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about labs? I think a lot of schools are going to want to see some lab.

That 4.0 should serve you reasonably well (some schools do not accept online pre-reqs), but I think taking some upper-level science classes with labs, in-person at an accredited 4-year college, would be highly advantageous.

So my schools is actually regionally accredited and part of the University System of Maryland. I take my major courses online (health services management) but my science classes I have taken in person with labs. I have taken concepts of biology and human health and disease and gots A's in both. The classes are taught on my military base. I am currently taking bioethics, which is a lecture science course.

Thank y
Invest in MSAR Online to determine which schools will accept online credits. Some do, some don't. Mine does as lone as they're offered by an accredited university.

And many thanks to you for your service to our country!

Thank you! I'll look into MSAR! None of my pre reqs are online classes so that is a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I kind of hoped that it would help that I am working full time and taking classes in the evenings and on weekends. I have been taking a full course load (12 cr/sem) since last august and haven't missed a beat. Not a lot of sleep in my life, but I really want to be a physician. I know schools look at multi-tasking as a plus.