All Branch Topic (ABT) Military Pay for Residents/Attendings Updated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigTexDoc911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Not sure about everyone else, but I have heard/read a ton of incorrect or outdated info (seriously, people still use pay scales from 2003 in their calculations) about our starting and continuing pay amounts. Are there any active duty doctors (from any branch) that could give us a realistic idea based off actual pay stubs from 2014 of how much they currently are making or how much they made when they started internship? It would be extremely helpful, thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone

Not sure about everyone else, but I have heard/read a ton of incorrect or outdated info (seriously, people still use pay scales from 2003 in their calculations) about our starting and continuing pay amounts. Are there any active duty doctors (from any branch) that could give us a realistic idea based off actual pay stubs from 2014 of how much they currently are making or how much they made when they started internship? It would be extremely helpful, thank you in advance.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=military pay
First link

Base pay with x years, where x is time in grade as O-3, +
BAH, depends on where, +
BAS, +
BCP, if you are board certified, +
VSP, depends on time in grade, +
ISP, depends on specialty
MASP, 15 k for physicians

Members don't see this ad :)
to add...

MASP is for anyone not in training
ISP is available initially 3 months after the completion of residency
VSP is based on medical corps entry base date, not time in grade

I've never seen MASP on any pay chart. how often does it adjust? also, what is the current/predicted future timeline for PZ major?

Last edited:
Per DA PAM 600-4, para 5-7d:

Promotions within the Medical and Dental Corps are based on the anniversary date of their entry on to active
duty. Due course promotions for these individual will occur on the sixth, twelfth and eighteenth year of service
anniversary date.