Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Military Radiology

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Primate, 11.03.03.

1. Primate

Primate Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone know what life is like for a radiologist (already trained) in the military? Is teleradiology in use widely, or do rads deploy (for instance, is there a radiologist on a carrier, or are the images sent shoreside for analysis)? Are billets typically just at the large medical centers, or are they more widely distributed?

Any info appreciated.

P
  2. R-Me-Doc

R-Me-Doc Now an X-R-Me-Doc

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Rads in the military is like rads everywhere else: overpaid, out the door at 3:30-4:00 (unless you have a lot of admin duties), send out readings with B.S. comments like "clinical correlation is advised." :rolleyes: In fairness, however, if you are at a small facility with only a couple radiologists, you may end up getting called in at night a lot to do emergency ultrasounds and such.

Radiologists in the Army do get deployed to places like the Gulf to staff field hospitals. Don't know about the other branches. I doubt the Navy has radiologists even on large carriers; I suspect most of their films get read by the doc-in-the-boat (most likely a surgeon, FP, or GMO). Larger military facilities are all digital at this point, but at smaller hospitals it's still film and a lightbox. Telemedicine is becoming more widely used, but again, not universally.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal