Military Residency (IM) to Civilian Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guavalicious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one were to attend medical school through the HPSP and complete an internal medicine residency through the military, then serve their commitment as an internist in the military, would this person be at an advantage or disadvantage (or neither) as a candidate for a civilian fellowship in any of the various internal medicine specialties upon leaving the military?

Do fellowship programs prefer applicants straight out of residency, or would several (4-5) years of experience be looked upon favorably?

Members don't see this ad.

If one were to attend medical school through the HPSP and complete an internal medicine residency through the military, then serve their commitment as an internist in the military, would this person be at an advantage or disadvantage (or neither) as a candidate for a civilian fellowship in any of the various internal medicine specialties upon leaving the military?

Do fellowship programs prefer applicants straight out of residency, or would several (4-5) years of experience be looked upon favorably?

You shouldn't have a problem matching into university based programs for fellowship. You are more of an advantage over a civilian who did hospitalist work for a few years prior to applying for fellowships. You'd be at a disadvantage compared to in-house applicants straight out of residency applying to a fellowship program where they did their residency.

Be sure to get on some research projects while as a resident as these will be valuable for the more competitive fellowships (cards or GI). Build a good rapport with attending and fellows of the relevant specialty you are interested in while a resident. These are people you'll count on for references. Many programs have some knowledge of the military and are very sympathetic and supportive. There are a lot of prior military docs in academic medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was applying for civilian fellowship during my pay back time, I was heavily recruited by the big name programs, however, and it's a big however, I was a strong candidate anyway. (Published research, strong in service exam and USMLE scores, chief resident, already board certified, held attending leadership positions, etc.) I strongly believe that the military is a plus for fellowship selection for many reasons, but if you're looking at the top programs in your field you still have to be competitive to begin with.
One place the military is usually comparatively weak is research opportunities, so make sure that you take advantage of any that come your way. The big dog programs tend to value research very highly.

Last edited: