Military Scholarship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if you are able to receive the military scholarship if you have a cardiac condition (that is not that serious) but take a lot of cardiac medicine such as Cardizem and Metoprolol daily. It is something I have recently started considering but I could not find anything about medical/health requirements to receive the scholarship that covers full tuition, books, and a living stipend for army, navy, or air force. I would assume for the safety of everyone they would not want me to go to a war zone because if something did happen with my heart, it would put everyone in a bad situation. However, does anyone know if I would still be eligible to receive the scholarship and practice after residency in a non-war zone like at a hospital base such as Texas or Georgia or something?

I realize I will probably have to contact all three branches but I figured it could not hurt to ask. I am applying to DO and MD schools so I am posting this to both the pre-MD and pre-DO forum. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if you are able to receive the military scholarship if you have a cardiac condition (that is not that serious) but take a lot of cardiac medicine such as Cardizem and Metoprolol daily. It is something I have recently started considering but I could not find anything about medical/health requirements to receive the scholarship that covers full tuition, books, and a living stipend for army, navy, or air force. I would assume for the safety of everyone they would not want me to go to a war zone because if something did happen with my heart, it would put everyone in a bad situation. However, does anyone know if I would still be eligible to receive the scholarship and practice after residency in a non-war zone like at a hospital base such as Texas or Georgia or something?

I realize I will probably have to contact all three branches but I figured it could not hurt to ask. I am applying to DO and MD schools so I am posting this to both the pre-MD and pre-DO forum. Any input would be appreciated.

The military is an entity built to fight and win wars. If you're non-deployable from the onset, there's no point of recruiting you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt it. During my physical (Navy HPSP), I was told if I still had the heart murmur I was born with, that I would have been denied my scholarship.

Doubtful if the condition is significant enough to require two rate controlling meds. You need to meet retention standards at entry to service. Certain things can be waived for physicians but not all. HOCM?

Thanks for the info! I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome which I was told a lot of people grow out of (I am 21 and developed it at 17) but so far I haven't. I have had 1 syncopal episode from it and multiple near syncopal episodes. A lot of docs besides the cardiologists also hear a murmur. At one time I was told I have cardiomyopathy with an EF in the forties when I saw a different cardiologist but my current cardiologist looked at my echos and said the EF was miscalculated and I never had cardiomyopathy.

I looked a little bit into a link I was given and it said near-syncope and stuff is disqualifying also so I do not think they will have me even though after the Cardizem I have become a lot better than just being on the metoprolol

Yeah, syncope, and multiple syncopal events, is going to be a major uphill climb. If you want to give it a try then go for it, but you better have a solid B, C, D... plan in place because a waiver for that is likely going to be tough. Personally I think you'd likely be wasting your time, but I've seen stranger things happen.