Military to MD/DO - BA and MPH with NO PRE-REQS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john smith 88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently serving as a Naval Officer overseas. I completed a BA in Political Science (3.3) and an MPH in Epidemiology/Health Policy (3.6) prior to entering the Navy. I work in the medical/health care field, but not in clinical care. Being in this environment I've realized that what I really want to do is serve as a doctor. My main hurdle - I have completed no pre-reqs and taken no science courses at all. Obviously this puts me behind the curve. I'm only 26 so I'm not all that old, but I'm lost as to how to go about this. I've read through these forums for hours but I'm unsure of the best route to take. Ideally I'd like to do a formal post-bacc with some kind of med school linkage, but I'm not sure I would even be seen as a viable candidate for those. My other option is to take some pre-reqs over here through UMUC, they are in a classroom setting but it seems like many schools might look down on them. Is it worth it to take the pre-reqs at a variety of schools (depending on current duty station) and hope my situation with the military explains this?

Fundamentally my question boils down to this - Is it wiser to take night classes via UMUC and other local colleges while still serving full time, or wait until my obligation is up and apply for a formal post-bacc (which if I don't get in to one I've just wasted 2+ years)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. My father-in-law was in the USN.

Being a vet gives you lots of points, so this will not be looked down upon.
My other option is to take some pre-reqs over here through UMUC, they are in a classroom setting but it seems like many schools might look down on them.

This is also a viable option. No need for a formal post-bac program...a DIY is fine.
Is it worth it to take the pre-reqs at a variety of schools (depending on current duty station) and hope my situation with the military explains this?

First off, many thanks for your service to our country. My father-in-law was in the USN.

Being a vet gives you lots of points, so this will not be looked down upon.
My other option is to take some pre-reqs over here through UMUC, they are in a classroom setting but it seems like many schools might look down on them.

This is also a viable option. No need for a formal post-bac program...a DIY is fine.
Is it worth it to take the pre-reqs at a variety of schools (depending on current duty station) and hope my situation with the military explains this?

Thanks for your advice. I do hope that my military experience at least provides some justification for when/where I take the pre-reqs. I'm starting to realize how far behind the 8-ball I am here. 1 year of Bio, 2 years of Chem, 1 year of Physics, and 1 semester of Calc...just for a chance to apply. Really regretting that Political Science degree now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget the new Psychology, Sociology, and Biochemistry requirements coming up. I think a lot of interviewers would be more interested in talking about why you chose to change from the medical field you're in now to becoming a doctor, as well as hearing about your personal military experiences.

I think you'll do fine taking classes DIY-style to finish up while you're still active-duty. If you're on a decent-sized base, contact your Ed Center to see what courses are offered in-person at your installation. Just remember that you want to make sure to have enough time to take the series at the location, meaning you want to take both bio classes at the same school, both chem, both o-chem, and/or both physics classes. This is to ensure that you don't have a break in information delivery between schools and the different books they use, as well as making it a little easier on you. Maybe have a go at starting with Calculus? That might get you going, and depending on the stability of your assignment and the course offerings there, you might be able to progress to other series. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat right now: graduated in 2007 with a degree in physics from West Point, stationed in Korea for the last two years and planning on leaving the Army from Korea next summer. I had to do biology, organic chemistry, and biochem online from University of New England, and take the MCAT in Tokyo (not offered in Korea). Some schools accept the online courses, some don't, but living overseas is a unique situation. Still sending secondaries out to schools, but the 2015 incoming class and the 2014 MCAT are the last to not have psychology and sociology on them, so I got really lucky (maybe). Good luck!!

3.41 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
37 MCAT (14P, 11V, 12B)

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I'm currently serving as a Naval Officer overseas. I completed a BA in Political Science (3.3) and an MPH in Epidemiology/Health Policy (3.6) prior to entering the Navy. I work in the medical/health care field, but not in clinical care. Being in this environment I've realized that what I really want to do is serve as a doctor. My main hurdle - I have completed no pre-reqs and taken no science courses at all. Obviously this puts me behind the curve. I'm only 26 so I'm not all that old, but I'm lost as to how to go about this. I've read through these forums for hours but I'm unsure of the best route to take. Ideally I'd like to do a formal post-bacc with some kind of med school linkage, but I'm not sure I would even be seen as a viable candidate for those. My other option is to take some pre-reqs over here through UMUC, they are in a classroom setting but it seems like many schools might look down on them. Is it worth it to take the pre-reqs at a variety of schools (depending on current duty station) and hope my situation with the military explains this?

Fundamentally my question boils down to this - Is it wiser to take night classes via UMUC and other local colleges while still serving full time, or wait until my obligation is up and apply for a formal post-bacc (which if I don't get in to one I've just wasted 2+ years)?

Thank you!

UMUC courses for pre-reqs are perfectly fine as long as they're in a classroom.

I'd knock out as many pre-reqs as you can while you're still in the .mil.

Just make sure you don't bit off more than you can chew with classes and work. You're #1 priority should be to get As in classes and raise that GPA.

Good Luck!

Don't forget the new Psychology, Sociology, and Microbiology requirements coming up. I think a lot of interviewers would be more interested in talking about why you chose to change from the medical field you're in now to becoming a doctor, as well as hearing about your personal military experiences.

I think you'll do fine taking classes DIY-style to finish up while you're still active-duty. If you're on a decent-sized base, contact your Ed Center to see what courses are offered in-person at your installation. Just remember that you want to make sure to have enough time to take the series at the location, meaning you want to take both bio classes at the same school, both chem, both o-chem, and/or both physics classes. This is to ensure that you don't have a break in information delivery between schools and the different books they use, as well as making it a little easier on you. Maybe have a go at starting with Calculus? That might get you going, and depending on the stability of your assignment and the course offerings there, you might be able to progress to other series. Good luck to you!

Thanks. I've got Psych and Soc, but I would need to take Micro. Unfortunately the UMUC offerings are pretty limited. It doesn't look like any of the BIO courses would count as prereqs. The CHEM series looks like it would I just need to wait for them to offer it.

I'm in the same boat right now: graduated in 2007 with a degree in physics from West Point, stationed in Korea for the last two years and planning on leaving the Army from Korea next summer. I had to do biology, organic chemistry, and biochem online from University of New England, and take the MCAT in Tokyo (not offered in Korea). Some schools accept the online courses, some don't, but living overseas is a unique situation. Still sending secondaries out to schools, but the 2015 incoming class and the 2014 MCAT are the last to not have psychology and sociology on them, so I got really lucky (maybe). Good luck!!

3.41 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
37 MCAT (14P, 11V, 12B)

Pretty similar for sure. That 37 MCAT should leave you in good shape though. I've looked into UNE online and I'm still considering it because most DO schools seem to be okay with it, and the med schools that look case-by-case might see the military as a valid reason to allow them. My main hang-up is that it would preclude me from USUHS but that might be a long shot anyway. I definitely want to be a Navy doc. What was your experience with taking them?

Your post has me rethinking taking my pre-reqs online. I have enough free time to give them plenty of attention. I'm targeting DO schools anyway so it may not be disqualifying.

UMUC courses for pre-reqs are perfectly fine as long as they're in a classroom.

I'd knock out as many pre-reqs as you can while you're still in the .mil.

Just make sure you don't bit off more than you can chew with classes and work. You're #1 priority should be to get As in classes and raise that GPA.

Good Luck!

I definitely wouldn't be taking more than one class at a time. My options should open up when I get back to the states too.

Last edited:
3.41 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
37 MCAT (14P, 11V, 12B)

Congrats on that awesome MCAT score while being on a base with limited Ed resources. I've got several active duty friends over there, and the major past-time seems to be drinking and buying knockoff clothes...lol. I know you had to work extremely hard to get where you are, so salute to you, and thank you for blazing your own path to transition. ACAP/TAP wouldn't be able to help you more than you've helped yourself.

3.41 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
37 MCAT (14P, 11V, 12B)

I did the same thing. Applied from Korea, although I had all of my prereqs and MCAT done before I went over there. Not sure about DO's, re: interviews I ended up having to go back twice for them and still ended up turning down two interviews due time/money constraints (one of those was after my after I had been accepted somewhere). Great MCAT btw. I would also contact schools you want to go that don't accept online classes individually. Some make exceptions for military personnel in that regard. Let me know if you have any questions about applying from 12 time zones away.

Thanks. I've got Psych and Soc, but I would need to take Micro. Unfortunately the UMUC offerings are pretty limited. It doesn't look like any of the BIO courses would count as prereqs. The CHEM series looks like it would I just need to wait for them to offer it.

Pretty similar for sure. That 37 MCAT should leave you in good shape though. I've looked into UNE online and I'm still considering it because most DO schools seem to be okay with it, and the med schools that look case-by-case might see the military as a valid reason to allow them. My main hang-up is that it would preclude me from USUHS but that might be a long shot anyway. I definitely want to be a Navy doc. What was your experience with taking them?

Your post has me rethinking taking my pre-reqs online. I have enough free time to give them plenty of attention. I'm targeting DO schools anyway so it may not be disqualifying.

I definitely wouldn't be taking more than one class at a time. My options should open up when I get back to the states too.
The UNE courses are good, thorough, and pretty demanding; I'm used to teaching myself anyway and your finals are proctored via webcam. I read the material prior to the lectures and printed out the slides, taking notes on anything that was not in the reading. I lucked out before the MCAT because I was on a night shift for a two week long exercise, which meant no expectation to do my day job. I will say that mastering the material ate up my weekends, and my weeks were consumed with commanding an artillery battery. The command experience was great though, and it definitely makes for some great secondary essay material. I realized halfway through my secondaries that I should probably explicitly mention that I am in Korea with the Army and that I had to do those classes online, although based on my AMCAS you could figure out that I live here. Thanks for the warning about emailing the schools directly about living overseas.

The UNE courses are good, thorough, and pretty demanding; I'm used to teaching myself anyway and your finals are proctored via webcam. I read the material prior to the lectures and printed out the slides, taking notes on anything that was not in the reading. I lucked out before the MCAT because I was on a night shift for a two week long exercise, which meant no expectation to do my day job. I will say that mastering the material ate up my weekends, and my weeks were consumed with commanding an artillery battery. The command experience was great though, and it definitely makes for some great secondary essay material. I realized halfway through my secondaries that I should probably explicitly mention that I am in Korea with the Army and that I had to do those classes online, although based on my AMCAS you could figure out that I live here. Thanks for the warning about emailing the schools directly about living overseas.

I have no experience with the application process, but I have to imagine a significant amount of the folks that make up the committee will understand your situation. The fact that you got a 37 on your MCAT proves that you know the material too. I'm anxious to hear how you make out with your applications. Are you looking at DO, MD, or both?

I have no experience with the application process, but I have to imagine a significant amount of the folks that make up the committee will understand your situation. The fact that you got a 37 on your MCAT proves that you know the material too. I'm anxious to hear how you make out with your applications. Are you looking at DO, MD, or both?

I am looking at MD, even though I know I should look at DO also. The Army has taken up a lot of my time, so I felt behind the power curve on applications, until I got an interview invite from Yale this morning. So at least one school accepts UNE online classes! I'm preparing myself for the inevitable interview question.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, guys and gals.

First, Hi, I'm a fellow former military dude turned toward medicine. I JUST found this page these last few weeks and I wish I had years ago.

My short story, I'm currently 31 y/o with a BS in biology that i earned between deployments and training over 8 years. I ended up with a 2.95 undergrad gpa. I'd always entertained the idea of becoming a doctor but never took it seriously and actually tried to become a pilot in the army. I took the MCAT in 2010 and got a 20 (heh) and decided to divert and go to grad school. I'm now at the end of a masters program with a 3.9 graduate gpa, 1 pending pub on longitudinal growth of archosaur longbones, and 1 thesis and cardiac regenerative potential in non-traditional vertebrate models.

I recently retook the mcat and got a 31. I understand this to be an OK score, but i'm wondering if i should retake-- i did not finish all my practice tests and saw a very clear upward trend leading to the test. the only reason i had to take it sooner than later was because school was starting again.

I'm registered for a January test-- would y'all say I should go for it and take again? I have no idea what my chances are. Would really appreciate honest input/guidance.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Thank you!

If you are absolutely sure about medical school, stop Everything and focus on that only ASAP... submit a request to transfer to the inactive ready reserve (IRR).Then spend two years as a full time student Only taking prerequistes. You have nothing to loose...Similar advice was given to me by the dean of a medical school...i wish i had taken it, i would be an MD by now

Last edited:
Hey, guys and gals.

First, Hi, i'm johnny. A fellow former military dude turned toward medicine. I JUST found this page these last few weeks and I wish I had years ago.

My short story, I'm currently 31 y/o with a BS in biology that i earned between deployments and training over 8 years. I ended up with a 2.95 undergrad gpa. I'd always entertained the idea of becoming a doctor but never took it seriously and actually tried to become a pilot in the army. I took the MCAT in 2010 and got a 20 (heh) and decided to divert and go to grad school. I'm now at the end of a masters program with a 3.9 graduate gpa, 1 pending pub on longitudinal growth of archosaur longbones, and 1 thesis and cardiac regenerative potential in non-traditional vertebrate models.

I recently retook the mcat and got a 31. I understand this to be an OK score, but i'm wondering if i should retake-- i did not finish all my practice tests and saw a very clear upward trend leading to the test. the only reason i had to take it sooner than later was because school was starting again.

I'm registered for a January test-- would y'all say I should go for it and take again? I have no idea what my chances are. Would really appreciate honest input/guidance.

Many thanks!

I think the thing that would hurt you a whole lot more than that 31 on the MCAT is that below 3.0 uGPA. A whole bunch of schools seem to have a screening cutoff right there, so unless you look toward grade replacement for DO schools or a program of retakes, your gGPA may be irrelevant. Have you calculated your sGPA yet with all the BCPM courses? That might help show us exactly where your GPA is hurting you the most.

Kudos to you on the research and pubs, that's definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, check out the sub-3.0 thread here in the non-trad section. I know there's a lot of good advice and some success stories there as well. Good luck to you.

I think the thing that would hurt you a whole lot more than that 31 on the MCAT is that below 3.0 uGPA. A whole bunch of schools seem to have a screening cutoff right there, so unless you look toward grade replacement for DO schools or a program of retakes, your gGPA may be irrelevant. Have you calculated your sGPA yet with all the BCPM courses? That might help show us exactly where your GPA is hurting you the most.

Kudos to you on the research and pubs, that's definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, check out the sub-3.0 thread here in the non-trad section. I know there's a lot of good advice and some success stories there as well. Good luck to you.

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been browsing through a lot of these threads. Need to replace grades. I've taken about 4 or 5 more relevant upper division science courses (all As except for 2 A minuses). If I simply include them into my overall GPA it goes up to 3.0 and some change. One of those As should be replacing a C-. The problem for me now is that, with writing my thesis and finishing up some experiments, i just don't have time to be taking any more classes right now.

Well if that's the case, you'll be above the cutoff and that's what matters the most. Just make sure you're using the AMCAS or AACOMAS(?) calculations for your GPA, and not just a standard calculation. The breakdown is important, and makes a huge difference when knowing where you'd be a good fit.

I think with your EC's, military background, and research, as long as you've got minimal shadowing and some volunteer work, at least a school or two should show interest. Make sure you target your interest list to schools that show a focus into what you want to do, but also have shown a lot of military love.

Good luck.

Hey, guys and gals.

First, Hi, i'm johnny. A fellow former military dude turned toward medicine. I JUST found this page these last few weeks and I wish I had years ago.

Many thanks!

MCAT is good. I wouldn't retake.

Apply broadly and early to both MD and DO schools.

MD is probably a long shot unless you have a much higher science GPA (>3.2) or an upward trend in grades (>3.5 the last 2 years) during undergrad.

On the bright side, you should have a good shot at DO.

Basically, you have 2 choices:

1) Really want MD = Do a 1 year post bacc (more upper division science courses) and apply MD (much better chances)
2) Happy with DO = Apply next cycle to MD (not so good chances) and DO (good chances).

How do your ECs look?

You might have a better shot at MD with some solid ECs in addition to military service.

Does anyone here think taking online prereqs out of necessity, due to being overseas for the military, would be a disqualifier at many/most DO schools?

Does anyone here think taking online prereqs out of necessity, due to being overseas for the military, would be a disqualifier at many/most DO schools?
Non-trad applicants, especially military, often have different circumstances than someone who is just out of school and decides to study medicine. For those of us with a lot of online coursework, the MCAT is especially important to show that we actually learned the material. University of New England is a DO school and they offer an online post-bacc program.

Non-trad applicants, especially military, often have different circumstances than someone who is just out of school and decides to study medicine. For those of us with a lot of online coursework, the MCAT is especially important to show that we actually learned the material. University of New England is a DO school and they offer an online post-bacc program.

That's where I'm planning to do my online prereqs. I genuinely have no other means of taking these courses at the moment. Not even sure if in-person classes would be a viable option stateside. As you know, the nature of being in the military means you aren't always out the door at 5:00, especially as an officer.

That's where I'm planning to do my online prereqs. I genuinely have no other means of taking these courses at the moment. Not even sure if in-person classes would be a viable option stateside. As you know, the nature of being in the military means you aren't always out the door at 5:00, especially as an officer.
If you plan on staying in the military, tuition assistance will pay for these classes though. If I was staying in I would have done it (using TA adds two years to your ADSO)

If you plan on staying in the military, tuition assistance will pay for these classes though. If I was staying in I would have done it (using TA adds two years to your ADSO)

I want to be a stay in and be a Navy doc, but I'm not sure if adding to my ADSO would preclude me from going to med school and getting HPSP should I be accepted.

I want to be a stay in and be a Navy doc, but I'm not sure if adding to my ADSO would preclude me from going to med school and getting HPSP should I be accepted.
Talk to your transition office or an medical command recruiter. Because HPSP is a military program, you may be able to "pay back" the ADSO after residency. Definitely worth a look.

Talk to your transition office or an medical command recruiter. Because HPSP is a military program, you may be able to "pay back" the ADSO after residency. Definitely worth a look.

Definitely something I need to do. Did you talk with any med schools prior to enrolling in online pre-req classes? That's probably my biggest hang up right now. I know theres some information on here but there aren't a whole lot of stories of people being accepted with online prereqs. I've sent out a few emails but haven't heard back yet.

Well, Nobody else was going to help out the community so I spent the money and compiled a list of MD schools that will accept online courses. This list was compiled off of the MSAR online and many state that it is on a case by case basis. If I were you I would call the schools you want to apply to to try to get more information on what that means exactly. The YES's are in bold, but again call to double check.

I hope this helps some of you get over the online course stigma. A lot of schools are accepting them. I am going to be an online promoter on this site. For those of you willing to risk a little please join me. I absolutely have to take online courses. Luckily, I have military tuition assistance that will pay for almost all of it. I am willing to take the risk to prove it can be done. Watch me OR join me. I will be accepted to med school at the end of this journey.

Good luck to all of you.

United States Medical Schools
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) - case by case
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Cleveland, Ohio) – Case by case basis
Central Michigan University College of Medicine – Case by Case
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – Case by Case
Dartmouth Medical School (Hanover, NH) – YES!!!
Duke University School of Medicine (Durham, NC) - Case by Case
East Tennessee State University - James H. Quillen College of Medicine (Johnson City, TN) – YES!
Florida Atlantic – Case by Case
Florida International University College of Medicine (Miami, FL) – Case By Case
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee, FL) - Case by Case
Georgetown University School of Medicine (Washington D.C.) – Case by Case
Hofstra – Case by Case basis!
Icahn – Case by Case
Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University (Huntington, WV) – Case by Case
Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, GA) – Case by case
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (East Lansing, MI) - YES!
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, NY) – Case by case (same as Icahn)
New York Medical College -- School of Medicine (Valhalla, NY) – Case by Case
Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by Case
Ohio State University College of Medicine (Columbus, OH) – Case by case
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine (Portland, OR) – Case by case
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL) – YES!
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine (Caguas, Puerto Rico) – Case by case
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (Springfield, IL) – YES!
Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA) – YES!

Texas A & M Health Science Center - College of Medicine (College Station, TX) – Case by Case
Texas Tech University HSC - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine (El Paso, TX) – YES!
Thomas Jefferson University -- Jefferson Medical College (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA) – YES!
Universidad Central del Caribe - School of Medicine (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) – Case by Case
University at Buffalo - School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (The State University of New York) – Case by Case
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson, AZ) – YES!
University of California Irvine - School of Medicine (Irvine, CA) – YES!

University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by case
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Cincinnati, OH) - Yes
University of Colorado School of Medicine (Denver, CO) – YES!

University of Connecticut School of Medicine (Farmington, CT) – Case by Case
University of Florida College of Medicine (Gainesville, FL) – Case by Case
University of Hawaii at Manoa - John A. Burns School of Medicine (Honolulu, HI) – Case by Case
University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – case by case
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine (Iowa City, IA) – Case by Case
University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Lexington, KY) – YES!
University of Louisville School of Medicine (Louisville, KY) – Case by Case
University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, MI) – YES!
University of Minnesota Medical School (Minneapolis) – Case by Case
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine – YES!
University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine (Columbia, MO) – YES!
University of Nebraska Medical Center - College of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – YES!

University of New Mexico School of Medicine (Albuquerque, NM) – Case by case
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC) – case by case
University of North Dakota - School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Grand Forks, ND) – case by case
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (Oklahoma City, OK) – YES!
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
University of South Alabama College of Medicine (Mobile, AL) – Case by case
University of South Florida College of Medicine (Tampa, FL) – N/a
University of Tennessee HSC College of Medicine (Memphis, TN) – case by case
University of Texas HSC - San Antonio School of Medicine (San Antonio, TX) - Na
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio – case by case
University of Texas SMC at Dallas - Southwestern Medical School (Dallas, TX) – case by case
University of Toledo College of Medicine (Toledo, OH) – YES!
University of Utah School of Medicine (Salt Lake City, UT) – YES!

University of Vermont College of Medicine (Burlington, VT) – case by case
University of Washington School of Medicine / Alaska WWAMI – Yes!
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (Madison, WI) – case by case
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Richmond, VA) – case by case
Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Bowman Gray Campus (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) – case by case
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University (Providence, RI) – case by case
Weill Cornell Medical College (Manhattan, NY) – case by case
Wright State University - Boonshoft School of Medicine (Dayton, OH) – case by case

From this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/schools-accepting-online-prerequisites.986194/

Don't forget the new Psychology, Sociology, and Microbiology requirements coming up. I think a lot of interviewers would be more interested in talking about why you chose to change from the medical field you're in now to becoming a doctor, as well as hearing about your personal military experiences.

Micro will not become a prereq. I think you may be referring to Biochemistry.

I know this has been done already, but I sent out some emails to DO schools asking if they A) accept online prereqs and B) if the adcoms frown on them. I referenced UNE specifically. Heres what I got so far:

Pacific Northwest: Accepted, not looked upon poorly.
MSUCOM: Accepted, no mention of whether they are viewed poorly.
ATSU: Accepted, strongly suggest the prereqs be taken in person.
Des Moines: Accepted, may be viewed as less competitive.
PCOM: Accepted, best to take at 4 year institution to stay competitive.
Kansas City: Accepted, not looked upon poorly.

I know this has been done already, but I sent out some emails to DO schools asking if they A) accept online prereqs and B) if the adcoms frown on them. I referenced UNE specifically. Heres what I got so far:

Pacific Northwest: Accepted, not looked upon poorly.
MSUCOM: Accepted, no mention of whether they are viewed poorly.
ATSU: Accepted, strongly suggest the prereqs be taken in person.
Des Moines: Accepted, may be viewed as less competitive.
PCOM: Accepted, best to take at 4 year institution to stay competitive.
Kansas City: Accepted, not looked upon poorly.

OU-HCOM - Accepted, said many student have taken some courses at UNE. Went on to say that as long as most prerequisites are taken in traditional setting it won't be an issue.

Since the thread is still alive, allow me to join the boat. :) 26 year old Army officer stationed in Korea and trying to catch up from a BA in anthropology. My UQR was submitted six months ago so I am looking at a post bac program. Not enough time for online classes at this point since my time is almost up. I am just doing self study for now. When I did think about courses online, my biggest concern was labs. I assume you didn't have to take these? Just curious.

Doing HPSP requires you to resign your commission and re-commission into the medical program. If you still have service obligation that can be a challenge. I knew a ROTC officer who had to get a waiver to be released from her obligation and then do HPSP. Easy enough right? Except it had to go all the way up to Surgeon General (she was medical service corps). It took so long to come back that she had to defer her acceptance till the next year.

Hey, guys and gals.

Many thanks!

I think the thing that would hurt you a whole lot more than that 31 on the MCAT is that below 3.0 uGPA. A whole bunch of schools seem to have a screening cutoff right there, so unless you look toward grade replacement for DO schools or a program of retakes, your gGPA may be irrelevant.

I both agree and disagree with this. I really think you *need* to get your uGPA above 3.0 AND retake the MCAT.

A little more background story would be helpful to us, not to mention good practice for your personal statement/interviews. When did you get out? What have you been doing since then? Did you excel in your military career? And finally, how much better, realistically, do you think you can do in January?

I ask this because if you can (1) take another semester of classes and bring your gpa above 3.0, and (2) score 35+ on the MCAT I'd say you definitely have a chance at an MD state university. As it is now, I think you have a good shot at a lot of DO schools but maybe not MD. Certainly in my state you would get into a DO program no problemo.

Doing HPSP requires you to resign your commission and re-commission into the medical program. If you still have service obligation that can be a challenge. I knew a ROTC officer who had to get a waiver to be released from her obligation and then do HPSP. Easy enough right? Except it had to go all the way up to Surgeon General (she was medical service corps). It took so long to come back that she had to defer her acceptance till the next year.

QFT. My interservice transfer took far longer than I ever expected even though I was enlisted reserves and they were letting guys out early in droves. The earlier you get started on it the better.

Sent the same email to a bunch of MD schools and got the following responses of far:

South Carolina: Accepted, specifically said UNE online classes are accepted.
Western Michigan: Accepted, prefer traditional classes.
Eastern Virginia: NOT ACCEPTED
Florida State: Accepted, specifically referenced UNE
Temple: NOT ACCEPTED
UAMS: Accepted, except Orgo. Jury still out on how the committee sees them.
Minnesota: Labs must be in person.
Illinois: Accepted, traditional classes preferred.
New Mexico: labs not accepted.
Loam Linda: NOT ACCEPTED
Colorado: NOT ACCEPTED
Vermont: accepted, not viewed negatively
LSU: NOT ACCEPTED

Update for anyone still looking at this thread: there are several schools that will at least do an interview invite with pre-reqs through UNE. I'm going to caveat this advice with extenuating circumstances such as a deployment or being stationed overseas. Schools that have been receptive so far:

Yale Medical School
Weill Cornell Medical College
Wertheim College of Medicine (Florida International University)
University of Miami

I will say that clinical experience can be difficult to get, my advice is to make friends with the PA/MD/DO that supports your unit and clearly lay out your goals with them and your chain of command. A good letter of recommendation from a battalion commander or higher doesn't hurt either.

Thanks for the updates General0409!!!
Im an officer in the Army Nurse Corps. Been a nurse (civilian & military) for 13 years. Went through the Army CRNA program and quit after 2 years due to a full year of horrible torturing experience at clinicals.I loved anesthesia but hated the ugliness in the department. Im paying off my ADSO right now in beautiful Hawaii!!
Just got accepted to local community college for gen chem 1. I have 7 sciences to take prior to being eligible for MCAT. Will be out of active duty in 2.5 years and going IRR.

Considered HPSP , IRR scholarship and GI bill.

No problem! We have a particular set of skills that sets us apart from other applicants. Last year, some of the schools above told me they would not accept any online work. Thanks to some AMCAS-induced forgetfulness, I applied anyway. Good luck with your prereqs! Let me know if you have any other questions.

UPDATE: II to University of Michigan!
Thanks for the updates General0409!!!
Im an officer in the Army Nurse Corps. Been a nurse (civilian & military) for 13 years. Went through the Army CRNA program and quit after 2 years due to a full year of horrible torturing experience at clinicals.I loved anesthesia but hated the ugliness in the department. Im paying off my ADSO right now in beautiful Hawaii!!
Just got accepted to local community college for gen chem 1. I have 7 sciences to take prior to being eligible for MCAT. Will be out of active duty in 2.5 years and going IRR.

Considered HPSP , IRR scholarship and GI bill.