Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocJS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here applying to minimally invasive surgery? I have been on the interview trail and have interviewed at 8 places. We should share our experiences (good and bad) with a short synopsis. Also, if you are a resident at any of the institutions, I think it would help if you could give your input from a resident prospective and the potential experiences of the fellows.

1. Methodist Hospital - a well-rounded program. Dr. Reardon is well known throughout the country for his esophagus work. The fellows work hard, but get an excellent experience. They spoke highly of their experiences.

2. Ohio State University - a good program. Only downside is that it is a large resident team and the fellow will get lost in it. They seem to be too heavily focused on bariatric surgery at this institution. Melvin seem a little like a loose cannon at times.

3. University of Washington - excellent program. The city is the biggest highlight. There seems to be a good working relationship between the fellow and the residents. Well-rounded experience

4. Emory - too many young attendings. Some are well known. I believe the departure of Dan Smith hurt the program and the case load. They went from 4 to 2 fellows during this period. I am not certain that they can provide an adequate experience for 2 fellows.

5. Legacy - probably my top choice. They are well rounded and everyone knows Swanstrom. They do plenty of laparoscopy and have a good experience in endoscopy. They have a good volume in colons, esophagus, and foregut.

6. Cleveland Clinic - probably another very strong program. They are a little heavy on bariatrics, but do plenty of general advanced laparoscopy. Schauer is also well known throughout the country.

7. MGH - a good program, though heavy on bariatrics. Boston is a great city.

8. Brigham and Women's - this program is in transition. Probably cannot support two fellows. I would consider this program with great caution. One of their fellows many be interviewing for another as a MIS fellow.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on other programs throughout the country or have other opinions?

Members don't see this ad.