Minimum Science Credits to Apply for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliffy18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I start applying to DPT programs this summer, I will only have completed 12 science credits; SUNY Stony Brook's admissions page says it gives preference to those who have 21 Bio/Chem/Physics credits under their belts. I already have an undergrad degree from Penn State with a high GPA and I am planning on taking the GRE before I apply to DPT schools; do you think they will still look at my app, being that I'll only have 12 science credits completed? Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Always good to hear from a fellow Nittany Lion!:) I know that almost all the programs I applied to said that an applicant could have no more than 3-4 of your science prereqs outstanding. This would equate to 9-12 credits for DPT programs who do not require sciences without labs and 12-16 credits for science courses with labs. I think only having 12 credits completed may work for some programs but not all. The best advice I could give you is to directly contact the admissions director or program director to find out. At least you won't be in the dark about your application status/competitiveness.