Minimum Years of Grad Training Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still a couple years away from internship, but I've been looking ahead to try and get a feel for what is out there and had a quick question in regards to the minimum number of years of grad training requirement. If I got my Master's before starting my doctoral program, will those 2 years count toward that training requirement? Or is it asking for doctoral-specific years previously completed before the application is submitted?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

doctoral-specific years

Great, thanks!

Also, (sorry if this is an obvious question) when they state the minimum years required, is that referring to years already completed when the application is being submitted, or will it include the year that you are currently enrolled in as well?

I'm just trying to figure out if an accelerated path will be beneficial to me, or if it will end up excluding certain internship opportunities.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks!

Also, (sorry if this is an obvious question) when they state the minimum years required, is that referring to years already completed when the application is being submitted, or will it include the year that you are currently enrolled in as well?

I'm just trying to figure out if an accelerated path will be beneficial to me, or if it will end up excluding certain internship opportunities.

It might vary by site, but I believe that in general, it's referring to the number of years you'll have completed by the time you start internship.

However, as I mentioned, some programs might word it differently (e.g., "must have completed 3 years of doctoral training prior to submitting application").

Given how competitive things are, I personally don't know that anyone's chances would be very good if applying before their fourth year (i.e., currently completing year four).

Most likely….no. The internship application process is very competitive, so apply during your 4th-5th yr like most everyone else (some wait until their 6th yr). Hours of experience on the APPI form are limited to doctoral hours, so applying early would most likely be a hindrance in that regard.

My program has had people who entered with their Masters apply their third (technically) year. One matched and one didn't on their first try.