Minnesota C/O 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Escalla

I had to start this thread with Minnesota being my top choice in the U.S.! But I suppose I'm a little bias as I'm finishing my undergrad in the U of M system and I just love the equine center!!! :love:

It's also the only school (that I can find anyways) that I can qualify for in-state tuition as a Canadian which is awesome!!!! Now if only they still had 2 contract seats for the Crookston campus...... :D

Who else is applying to the U of M this app cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying to Minnesota as well. It is to my understanding that they do not have a supplemental right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying this year, and I'm very excited!:)

Applying as well but as an OOS so i'll see what my chances are like. The previous doctor's assistant at the practice I work is going to Minnesota c/o 2015 so hopefully I'll be next.

I'm also excited to be applying to Minnestoa OOS :)

I'm applying OOS too! I'm way excited about how they calculate gpas. No cum, just prereqs and last 45 units! woohoooo! Fingers crossed! :D

I'm applying to MN, and that's it. This is my first application cycle, and my GPA is not the greatest, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope. :scared: But hey, at least I'm giving it a try. :xf:

Hey everyone! I also applied to UofM as an OOS this year! I'm super excited! For the person already going there for pre-vet, as a student at the school already, how do you feel about their large animal mixed experience? Are you familiar with the facilities at all? Does anyone have any insight? It seemed like they had a decent program from the website.

Hey everyone! I also applied to UofM as an OOS this year! I'm super excited! For the person already going there for pre-vet, as a student at the school already, how do you feel about their large animal mixed experience? Are you familiar with the facilities at all? Does anyone have any insight? It seemed like they had a decent program from the website.

I'm a current first-year student. That means I have some exposure but am not far enough along to *really* evaluate the LA/SA mixed track that you'd enter basically in your third year.

Having said that ... you get dumped into LA clinical skills immediately (it's your first two weeks, basically) so you get hands-on time with cows and horses from day 1. The goal of that early training is to get you comfortable handling the LA and doing physical exams because you'll be doing shifts at the equine center, and I'd say it works pretty darn well. Through one club and one elective class there are also opportunities in your first year to participate in equine colic and neonatal teams. Second semester has an equine limb anatomy elective.

The equine facilities here are excellent. Leatherdale Equine Center rocks, and interviewing candidates have the opportunity to get a tour and spend some time there during their interview visit.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to take a stab at them or check with someone who would have a better answer.

Also, I'll be doing tours and whatnot a couple of those interview weekends, so I hope to meet any of you OOS folks who come to MN!

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to take a stab at them or check with someone who would have a better answer.

One of my UG professors is absolutely enthralled by the transition management facility. Do you have any direct experience with it already/ is it really that awesome? Do you know more about the dairy-specific opportunities that first years can get involved in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current first-year student. That means I have some exposure but am not far enough along to *really* evaluate the LA/SA mixed track that you'd enter basically in your third year.

Having said that ... you get dumped into LA clinical skills immediately (it's your first two weeks, basically) so you get hands-on time with cows and horses from day 1. The goal of that early training is to get you comfortable handling the LA and doing physical exams because you'll be doing shifts at the equine center, and I'd say it works pretty darn well. Through one club and one elective class there are also opportunities in your first year to participate in equine colic and neonatal teams. Second semester has an equine limb anatomy elective.

The equine facilities here are excellent. Leatherdale Equine Center rocks, and interviewing candidates have the opportunity to get a tour and spend some time there during their interview visit.

Also, I'll be doing tours and whatnot a couple of those interview weekends, so I hope to meet any of you OOS folks who come to MN!

That is really great info! Thanks so much! I am very interested in equine and bovine (mixed) practice... I am loving this info! If I think of anything specific, I'll let you know! Thanks!!!

One of my UG professors is absolutely enthralled by the transition management facility. Do you have any direct experience with it already/ is it really that awesome? Do you know more about the dairy-specific opportunities that first years can get involved in?

YES YES, tell us more about this :)

I don't have any direct experience with it myself. I've pretty much heard all the awesome things you've heard, most notably that since the herd is sufficiently large, any time over there gets you exposure to a lot of practical veterinary work.

That'd be a great question to call our admissions people about:
Phone: 612-624-4747
Email:
[email protected]

I'm sorry I don't have more for you on that one - I'm more SA focused so it's not on my radar.

If I get time I'll ask around tomorrow at school; but I know I've got a pretty full day.

Anyone have an idea on a timeframe for when we should hear?

I applied last year to Minnesota and I got an email in October saying they had received all my application materials. Then at the start of January I got an interview invite (which sadly I had to turn down - going to introduce myself in the lurker section and will explain why).

Yeah I think mid January is about right - so couple more months......

Bummer...I don't want to wait any more haha I already feel like this app cycle has gone on long enough! I reallyyyy want to see Leatherdale!

A couple more months is too long. I am already feeling bummed about KSU and Mizzou. I could sure use some happiness about now.

A couple more months is too long. I am already feeling bummed about KSU and Mizzou. I could sure use some happiness about now.

This. x1000 at least Avalanche7 has an invite somewhere. Am hoping for good news for everybody, but I can't muster that much give-a-damn for those who at least have some already.

Sorry I'm still excited to hear from other schools? I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything...

I really can't wait to hear from minn! There on the top of my list and look like they have an awesome facility. plus, I am a big fan of the cold so I think it would be a great fit. has anyone visited / know what is in the area around the school?

Bbventer I know how you're feeling! Besides Kansas State, I'm waiting on Minnesota and Wisconsin - both of which will be into next year before I hear anything if they follow a similar time frame as last year...

I really can't wait to hear from minn! There on the top of my list and look like they have an awesome facility. plus, I am a big fan of the cold so I think it would be a great fit. has anyone visited / know what is in the area around the school?

Anything specific that you're wondering about? It's a pretty typical (small) metropolitan area.

Sorry I'm still excited to hear from other schools? I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything...

I don't think anyone meant it that way ... it's definitely not offensive to be excited about hearing back from schools! (And congrats!)

If you have questions, I grew up in St. Paul but can't speak to anything at the vet portion of the school, just the area.

I don't think anyone meant it that way ... it's definitely not offensive to be excited about hearing back from schools! (And congrats!)

Good :) I didn't know if fromthebox thought I was being obnoxious since I have received an interview invite...I just love the Twin Cities area! And thanks!

If you have questions, I grew up in St. Paul but can't speak to anything at the vet portion of the school, just the area.

You grew up here, ended up in sunny SoCal, and you want to come back? That's insane.

;)

Just kidding. I grew up here, too (Hopkins/Minnetonka area west of the cities), and love it. No desire to leave the midwest, though we wouldn't mind being in a more rural setting.

It depends on what area you're referring to:

Immediately around the St. Paul campus, there's a few restaurants/coffee shops, and a lot of residential properties. Some students live in the neighborhoods right around the university and generally walk to and from campus.

Within 5 miles of campus (towards Roseville), you have a major shopping area (with a huge movie theater) and tons of chain restaurants (sometimes we skip class in favor of a long lunch). Towards St. Paul, you get a lot of fun shops and more independent restaurants.

Minneapolis has everything and anything you could ever want. At least a few of my classmates live in Minneapolis and commute every day. It's really not too big of a deal if you decide to live over there.

I would say that we're among the most urban of vet schools, and that's definitely an advantage for student life (we're not stuck in the middle-of-nowhere with nothing to do on the weekends).

I hope this helps! Good luck with applications! :)

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about what you get to do during first year. I think that no matter where you go, first year is a lot of boring basics as they ease you into the more intense academic stuff. As you get more and more into your clinical education, you get to do more hands-on stuff and actually work with animals.

But if you're really interested in opportunities for freshman, at Minnesota we have very active clubs that are constantly running wet labs. I know that the Production Animal Medicine club has a ton of opportunities and the Behavior Club just did a dairy stockmanship workshop at New Sweden. If you're willing to put in the time, there's always a way to find more hands-on experience.

1st-3rd year students have to work one shift in the Large Animal Hospital every semester ("Clerk duty"). During breaks, you can sign up to take additional shifts (for money!). As a small animal person, I do my shift and get out- but I think the large animal folks love this.

A few of my classmates have jobs as overnight technicians in the Large Animal Hospital/Equine Center- so there's always that option, too. Those opportunities come up towards the end of first year.

It depends on what area you're referring to:

Immediately around the St. Paul campus, there's a few restaurants/coffee shops, and a lot of residential properties. Some students live in the neighborhoods right around the university and generally walk to and from campus.

Within 5 miles of campus (towards Roseville), you have a major shopping area (with a huge movie theater) and tons of chain restaurants (sometimes we skip class in favor of a long lunch). Towards St. Paul, you get a lot of fun shops and more independent restaurants.

Minneapolis has everything and anything you could ever want. At least a few of my classmates live in Minneapolis and commute every day. It's really not too big of a deal if you decide to live over there.

I would say that we're among the most urban of vet schools, and that's definitely an advantage for student life (we're not stuck in the middle-of-nowhere with nothing to do on the weekends).

I hope this helps! Good luck with applications! :)

Thanks elliepants! that's really good to know. Having gone to college in a more urban area, being close to a city is definitely a major factor for me.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like the program out there / how are the facilites / what vet specilites is u minn known for??

You grew up here, ended up in sunny SoCal, and you want to come back? That's insane.

;)

Just kidding. I grew up here, too (Hopkins/Minnetonka area west of the cities), and love it. No desire to leave the midwest, though we wouldn't mind being in a more rural setting.

Insane? Yeah, probably.
I'm about done with California right now. The peeps I knew in college are gone, I don't relate to the undergrads I work around, etc..
I grew up in St Paul/West St. Paul/Inver Grove Heights, Dakota County has an amazing library system! It was my babysitter for years. I like the midwest family living/know your neighbors atmosphere. While I love CA, I would rather live in the midwest and visit CA. I did four years of undergrad with a beach on campus and went to the beach less than 10 times! I miss skiing and snow and the traditional seasons too.

I'm getting anxious in wondering if they've sent out rejections for their first round of cuts.....

I believe the system works where they evaluate the academic portion of your application, draw a line in the sand, and only allow applicants that meet that minimum standard to move on to the second phase of evaluation (experience, LORs, etc.). Too bad they don't notify you if you make the first cut! It would put my mind a little more at ease. :)

I applied to MN 2 years ago and I received my rejection letter at the same time they sent out invites last year. So figure they will be notifying all of us at the same time I guess.

I agree though - any info would be helpful at this point - I'm going crazy....

This may be a silly question at this point, but I really don't know the answer :confused:
Does Minnesota interview??

Yes they do. Last year they sent out invites in January. Hopefully I'll see you there!

I'm getting anxious in wondering if they've sent out rejections for their first round of cuts.....

I believe the system works where they evaluate the academic portion of your application, draw a line in the sand, and only allow applicants that meet that minimum standard to move on to the second phase of evaluation (experience, LORs, etc.). Too bad they don't notify you if you make the first cut! It would put my mind a little more at ease. :)

MN sends out rejections and interview invites all at the same time, via email. I can't remember the exact day I got mine, but it was early January. Offers of admission went out Feb. 16th, which was slightly earlier than the year before.

You are correct about their methodology (unless it's changed for this year, but it hasn't to my knowledge). They score your two GPA calculations and GRE and add it all up and you either make that cut or not. Then they look at the rest of your app.

Interviews are the last Thu/Fri/Sat in January and the first two Thu/Fri/Sat in February.

FYI, I received my rejection on Jan 6th ...

*************************************************************************************

Thank you for your application to the D.V.M. program at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. The College of Veterinary Medicine utilizes a three-stage review process; stage one assesses academic credentials, stage two reviews non-academic credentials, and stage three includes an interview. I am sorry to report that you did not meet the academic standards set by our Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider your application further.

Academic credentials include an applicant's grade point average on required pre-veterinary coursework, grade point average on the most recent 45 semester/60 quarter hours of college coursework, and results of the Graduate Record Examination. Applicants who do not meet the academic standards set by the Admissions Committee are not advanced to stage two or three of our evaluation process.

A total of 1,051 applications were received for the 100 seats in the fall 2011 entering class; such competitiveness brings disappointment to many. Listed below are approximate averages for applicants currently being considered for fall 2011 admission:

Average GPA on required pre-veterinary courses 3.75
Average GPA on last 45 semester hours 3.65
Average GRE exam/combined verbal/quantitative 1230

Thank you again for your interest in educational opportunities at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. I am sorry that we do not have better news for you at this time, but wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee,

Karen M. Nelson
Director of Admissions

FYI, I received my rejection on Jan 6th ...

*************************************************************************************

Thank you for your application to the D.V.M. program at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. The College of Veterinary Medicine utilizes a three-stage review process; stage one assesses academic credentials, stage two reviews non-academic credentials, and stage three includes an interview. I am sorry to report that you did not meet the academic standards set by our Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider your application further.

Academic credentials include an applicant’s grade point average on required pre-veterinary coursework, grade point average on the most recent 45 semester/60 quarter hours of college coursework, and results of the Graduate Record Examination. Applicants who do not meet the academic standards set by the Admissions Committee are not advanced to stage two or three of our evaluation process.

A total of 1,051 applications were received for the 100 seats in the fall 2011 entering class; such competitiveness brings disappointment to many. Listed below are approximate averages for applicants currently being considered for fall 2011 admission:

Average GPA on required pre-veterinary courses 3.75
Average GPA on last 45 semester hours 3.65
Average GRE exam/combined verbal/quantitative 1230

Thank you again for your interest in educational opportunities at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. I am sorry that we do not have better news for you at this time, but wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee,

Karen M. Nelson
Director of Admissions

Thanks for sharing this.
I'm interested about the last 45 credit policy. Here's my question:
If I retake some of my pre-reqs, will these courses (since they are the most recently taken, but are repeats) count toward the last 45 credit policy? What if I don't take a full courseload at this point?
Thanks guys :thumbup:

The Director of Admissions came up to our campus a lot and I talked with her a bunch about the process and how they calculate those GPAs. I'm sure that LIS or another current MN student can confirm this, but from what I gathered from the presentations, your repeats do count towards the last 45 credits (as I have repeated some classes too) and it's simply any classes that you've taken at an undergraduate or graduate level up to and including the semester where you reach 45 credits.

If your repeats are taken 3 or more years apart, they are replaced with your latest grade. Otherwise they're averaged.

The Director of Admissions came up to our campus a lot and I talked with her a bunch about the process and how they calculate those GPAs. I'm sure that LIS or another current MN student can confirm this, but from what I gathered from the presentations, your repeats do count towards the last 45 credits (as I have repeated some classes too) and it's simply any classes that you've taken at an undergraduate or graduate level up to and including the semester where you reach 45 credits.

If your repeats are taken 3 or more years apart, they are replaced with your latest grade. Otherwise they're averaged.

I don't know the answer to that one!

My guess - but it's just that - would be that repeated classes count toward the last 45 credits, because the last 45 credit GPA is pretty straight up with no modifiers. They just start at "most recent", count back 45, and include all the classes up to and including that semester. There's no 'trickiness'.

But as far as repeats replacing grades ... I don't even have a guess.

Ok, that's good to know! Many of my credits are old, so if I retake, that will be good news for me.

There's no 'trickiness'..

This is also very good to know. So, even if I retook a class and it wasn't during a FULL load of classes, it would't matter? I'm really liking this process... ;)

I applied for an OOS spot this cycle but I'm guessing/planning I'll have to apply again next year... I guess we'll see. I'm rooting for you, Escalla! Really hope you get in :luck:

And LIS, you are always a great help. Thanks so much. If I have to apply next cycle, promise me you'll read my PS this time?? :D

This is also very good to know. So, even if I retook a class and it wasn't during a FULL load of classes, it would't matter?

Right. From a GPA-calculation perspective, your load doesn't count. It's purely "start with the most recent and count back 45 credits." (And then include ALL the classes from whatever that oldest semester ends up being.)

If I have to apply next cycle, promise me you'll read my PS this time?? :D

Let's hold off on worrying too much about the next cycle until you hear back from all the schools you're waiting on. :) (But yes, I'll read a handful in fall again up until school starts kicking my butt.)

Ok, that's good to know! Many of my credits are old, so if I retake, that will be good news for me.

This is also very good to know. So, even if I retook a class and it wasn't during a FULL load of classes, it would't matter? I'm really liking this process... ;)

I applied for an OOS spot this cycle but I'm guessing/planning I'll have to apply again next year... I guess we'll see. I'm rooting for you, Escalla! Really hope you get in :luck:

And LIS, you are always a great help. Thanks so much. If I have to apply next cycle, promise me you'll read my PS this time?? :D

I'm really hoping for you too!!! :xf::luck:

MN has some tough competition, but I really like their evaluations. That's as fair as it can get I think.

Don't worry too much about next year! It's not over yet :thumbup:

Does anyone know where they draw the line for academic cuts?

Does anyone know where they draw the line for academic cuts?

No, for two reasons. First, the cutoff changes every year depending on the overall applicant pool. Second, because your academic score is a total measure of your two GPAs (pre-req and last-45-credits) and GRE, you could score the same if you had one weak GPA but a stellar GRE compared to an applicant with a bum GRE but an outstanding GPA. Over the years they've shifted how much weight each component gets; I think starting next fall they're going back to an equal weight for all three.

So, it's not as simple as just saying "I'm bringing a 3.2, is that good enough?"

About the best you could do, I suppose, is to look at my class's incoming stats (which are available at http://www.cvm.umn.edu/education/pr...tion/documents/content/cvm_content_346344.pdf) to get some rough idea of where you might stand. The numbers won't be identical from year to year, but I imagine they are similar?

This week is going by so slow!!!!! Here's to hoping they notify us tomorrow! :thumbup:

I just wish OOS tuition wasn't quite so steep.......