Minnesota C/O 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aah! i know!! i feel like I'm checking my email every two second!

On the plus side, doesnt Minnesota allow you to become IS?

**fingers crossed this week**

Members don't see this ad.

Eeek I know...........I feel silly checking this much!

I think you can become IS, but it's really difficult. However, I wouldn't rely on that since I'm not totally sure. I'm Canadian, so I'm stuck being OOS no matter what. :(

oh bummer! is minnesota your top choice?! It's definitely one of my top choices :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, all. Good luck on your applications! Interviews start in late January, so I'm sure you'll be hearing something soon. I think both our class and the 2015ers found within a couple days of the start of the our spring semester, which is Jan. 9 this year.

Just FYI, Minnesota has especially strong elective offerings in zoo and wildlife medicine as well as an amazing equine center, solid large-animal programs (with lots of camelids and small ruminants!) and one of the busiest small-animal teaching hospitals in the country. Just like every other school, it has its weak points, but overall I'm really glad I made the choice I did.

I'm a second year and heading into our hardest semester here, so I rarely check SDN anymore, but if you have any major questions feel free to PM me. I'm tracking mixed and doing the DVM/MPH dual degree. LetItSnow and elliepants are both great resources too. :)

Got my rejection letter today. :( Hope everyone else has better news.

Just got mine too - sitting in my office at work crying.

Got my rejection letter today. :( Hope everyone else has better news.

Just got mine too - sitting in my office at work crying.

Sorry guys :( Do you still have other schools you're waiting to hear from?? I'll :xf::xf: for you!!

(I got my interview invite in my e-mail today!) This made me feel better, because I was a little miffed at getting rejected from Cornell today. It wasn't my top choice, and I knew it was probably a long shot, but it still sucked.

Good luck to all still waiting for news! :luck::luck:

Congrats to the folks who were asked to come for interviews, and condolences to those who were not....

I'd definitely encourage those of you who didn't get an interview to call the CVM admissions folks at some point down the road to talk over the university's perspective on your application. I know in the past they've been more than happy to do that.

I'm so sorry, Royal and macita! (And congrats, Nordicat!)

Do take LetItSnow's advice and do a review with the admissions committee. Many of the best people in my class didn't get in their first or even second or third try, but that gave them the time to get some amazing experiences and be better students (and in the future, vets) because of it.

And if either of you have to go through another admissions cycle, feel free to e-mail me your personal statement. I have a pretty darn good statement track record. (Twelve for twelve, I think it is now including twelvetigers). Just get it to me early (i.e., before school stars, not Sep. 30.). :)

Also, don't let the admissions game get you down too much. It's ridiculously competitive, something of a crapshoot, and not at all a statement on your worth as a human being or as a future veterinarian.

I'm so sorry, Royal and macita! (And congrats, Nordicat!)

Do take LetItSnow's advice and do a review with the admissions committee. Many of the best people in my class didn't get in their first or even second or third try, but that gave them the time to get some amazing experiences and be better students (and in the future, vets) because of it.

And if either of you have to go through another admissions cycle, feel free to e-mail me your personal statement. I have a pretty darn good statement track record. (Twelve for twelve, I think it is now including twelvetigers). Just get it to me early (i.e., before school stars, not Sep. 30.). :)

Also, don't let the admissions game get you down too much. It's ridiculously competitive, something of a crapshoot, and not at all a statement on your worth as a human being or as a future veterinarian.

I haven't heard back yet, but am expecting the worst today :(
Parietal, thank you so much for your offer. If I end up applying next year, I'll definitely take you up on that. Unfortunately, I think my statement is one of the stronger parts of my application... :luck: to everyone still waiting (including myself!)

Thanks very much Parietal. If don't get in this year I will take you up on your offer to review my personal statement.

I've decided feeling sorry for myself won't do anything. I'm determined to get into vet school so I'm looking at ways to improve/get more experience for next cycle.

Good luck to everyone that is interviewing. I hope you guys do awesome!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=211213

Hi everyone. Does anyone know the ratio of those who get invited to an interview compared to those who get accepted? Especially for those who are out of state? Thanks!

Hi everyone. Does anyone know the ratio of those who get invited to an interview compared to those who get accepted? Especially for those who are out of state? Thanks!

I forget what it was last year, but you'll be able to figure it out.... Out of staters get 45 seats.... you know how many days of interviews there are.... and you can count how many people are there your day.... From there it's just math. :)

I vaguely recall thinking that when I did it they interviewed about twice as many people as there were seats? That's a really vague recollection, though; I could easily be way off. And that would have been in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody from OOS had their interview dates confirmed? I'm starting to worry about booking flights etc. I know the end of the survey said by 1/12 but I was hoping it was going to be asap.

I called their office yesterday and they said emails had not yet been sent with the dates, and didn't give an estimate....it would be nice to hear soon, because it only gets more expensive to book flights and make plans!! I still haven't seen anything via email yet today.

I called yesterday too and the woman I spoke with said they would be emailed by the latest at the end of today!

I called yesterday too and the woman I spoke with said they would be emailed by the latest at the end of today!

Whew! Good. I need to let my job know ASAP so I can get those days off! Thanks, guys! :)

Check your e-mails, I got my schedule sent to me today! :thumbup:

Anyone else still waiting to here something from these guys??

Hey I'm interviewing on the 28th and was wondering if anyone wanted to share cab to/from the airport or possibly share a room the night of the 27th... I know we are all pretty strapped for cash so I thought it would be a good way to save some money. ....oh and I'm female, btw. :)

Anyone else interviewing on the 3rd of Feb?

I am interviewing on the 3rd!!!

I am also interviewing on the 3rd! I wish all the tour stuff was before the interview, but oh well.

I am interviewing on the 3rd!!!

I am also interviewing on the 3rd! I wish all the tour stuff was before the interview, but oh well.

OO YAY! I get to meet you guys! Do you feel like we have a lot of down time?! :confused:
Mall of America is not too far away... my suitcase may go home heavier... :laugh:

OO YAY! I get to meet you guys! Do you feel like we have a lot of down time?! :confused:
Mall of America is not too far away... my suitcase may go home heavier... :laugh:
Yay :)!!!

I totally booked my hotel for thursday a few blocks from the mall of america haha I couldnt resist!! I feel like if you are interviewing on Friday, and staying Saturday, then the majority of Saturday afternoon will be down time (as our last item on the agenda is for 12:45!) Depending when your interview on Friday is you could have downtime? Though that might depend how you like to structure your interview day (i.e. prep time, nerves). I'm really excited to check out the campus and use some public transportation :-D. I've never been!

Yay :)!!!

I totally booked my hotel for thursday a few blocks from the mall of america haha I couldnt resist!! I feel like if you are interviewing on Friday, and staying Saturday, then the majority of Saturday afternoon will be down time (as our last item on the agenda is for 12:45!) Depending when your interview on Friday is you could have downtime? Though that might depend how you like to structure your interview day (i.e. prep time, nerves). I'm really excited to check out the campus and use some public transportation :-D. I've never been!

My interview is at 8:15am on Friday!! So at 9:15am I am pretty much in St. Paul, MN hanging around and waiting by myself until Saturday.... :whistle:

My interview is at 8:15am on Friday!! So at 9:15am I am pretty much in St. Paul, MN hanging around and waiting by myself until Saturday.... :whistle:
Lucky!! Mine isn't until 3:30

Doesn't mean I can't take just a quick trip to the mall right?! haha I say that now, but who knows what my nerves will be like the day of!

Hey all!

I interview Thursday, the 26th, at 9. I hope to see some of you around the area! Quick question, does anyone know where I can find the sample questions for the U of M? I went to the interview feedback section and found U of M but I couldn't find any sample questions like I could for ISU and my other school. Best of luck to all of you!

Minnesota has blocked the questions from appearing. It is a behavioral interview, so you can google "med school behavioral interview" for some possible questions.

It is a behavioral interview, so you can google "med school behavioral interview" for some possible questions.

I can't tell you what questions I was asked, but I think it's ok to say that if you take NStarz's advice you'll have a very good idea of what type of questions to expect. When I interviewed, I just googled for 'behavioral interview questions' and got a few lists of 30-40 questions.

My approach - which would not work for everyone - was to sit down in a coffee shop with my wife and answer them all. Not just "oh, I'd talk about that time when" kinds of stuff, but to really answer it as if she were an interviewer. It took a few hours, but it brought so much of my life to mind that it was all sitting there ready for me when my interview arrived.

The other thing I did is sat down and thought through my life chronologically - trying to remember jobs, friendships, community/volunteer activities, interesting situations or conversations, etc. Just a sort of focused, take notes, 45-minute walk through my life.

Those of us involved in welcoming you to campus just had our training tonight, and we're all excited for your visits! It's a fun time; make the most of it by checking out the area (not just the school) and asking any of us whatever questions you can think of.

I'm helping out the first and last weeks of interviews (the middle week I'm at our state VMA convention - I would think it will be pretty quiet around school). Hope to see some of you there; I'll be the old student. ;) Best of luck to everyone!!!

Thank you! That is kind of what I did for my ISU interview and I think it helped alot. Have a great Monday everyone!

oxyjen - are you traveling with anyone for the Minn. Interview weekend? I'll be by my lonesome and was wondering if you'd want to meet up later Friday and go to the Leatherdale Equine Center together? Or potentially just meet there? PM me if you'd like (if you don't want to post here). Looking forward to Minnesota!!

oxyjen - are you traveling with anyone for the Minn. Interview weekend? I'll be by my lonesome and was wondering if you'd want to meet up later Friday and go to the Leatherdale Equine Center together? Or potentially just meet there? PM me if you'd like (if you don't want to post here). Looking forward to Minnesota!!

If you're looking for ways to spend the time, you also might be able to sit in on a class if you want to get an idea of the typical pace. I don't know what our school's policy is about that, but you could ask anyone in admissions. I strongly suspect that as long as there is room they wouldn't care, but I obviously am not an authoritative speaker on it and you'd want to ask first.

It depends on what area you're referring to:

Immediately around the St. Paul campus, there's a few restaurants/coffee shops, and a lot of residential properties. Some students live in the neighborhoods right around the university and generally walk to and from campus.

Within 5 miles of campus (towards Roseville), you have a major shopping area (with a huge movie theater) and tons of chain restaurants (sometimes we skip class in favor of a long lunch). Towards St. Paul, you get a lot of fun shops and more independent restaurants.

Minneapolis has everything and anything you could ever want. At least a few of my classmates live in Minneapolis and commute every day. It's really not too big of a deal if you decide to live over there.

I would say that we're among the most urban of vet schools, and that's definitely an advantage for student life (we're not stuck in the middle-of-nowhere with nothing to do on the weekends).

I hope this helps! Good luck with applications! :)

That is helpful, thanks! I'll be in town this weekend for my interview :soexcited: and I want to get as much out of my short visit that I can. Are there specific apartments or neighborhoods that a lot of students live in? Or maybe fraternity houses associated with the Vet School that students live in (OTS maybe?) ? Good luck to everyone!

First off, good luck to everyone with their upcoming interviews! :xf:

So, this year will be my first time applying to schools and Minnesota is pretty high up on my list of where I want to go. But I am a bit dismayed. On the required prereqs page it says that the microbiology course I take must have a chemistry prerequisite. Unfortunately, my school doesn't have chemistry listed as a prereq for micro. In fact, none of the schools in my immediate area list anything more than the first semester of bio as a prereq. The only microbiology classes I've seen that require a chem prereq are high level micro classes - not your general mico class. And the chem class they require is biochem.

Now, the rest of my micro class's description matches exactly what the rest of Minnesota's description says. So, my class covers everything that MN is looking for, except the prereq...

So, of course, I'm wondering if anyone here who has progressed this far into the application process has taken a micro class that didn't specifically list chem as a prereq. Or perhaps LetItSnow may have some info. I'm hoping that I'm not out of luck (especially since I haven't found a local micro class that seems to meet this requirement)!

Or perhaps LetItSnow may have some info. I'm hoping that I'm not out of luck (especially since I haven't found a local micro class that seems to meet this requirement)!

You need to call the admissions office and talk to them about it.

http://www.cvm.umn.edu/education/prospective/visitcontactus/home.html

I got nothing, otherwise. I'm local, and did all my pre-reqs at local schools for which UMN specifically published lists of what classes meet their requirements. So I had it pretty easy in that they basically pre-approved certain classes at all the local major schools and CCs.

Best of luck! UMN is a really awesome school to be at!

You need to call the admissions office and talk to them about it.

Woohoo!! They got back in touch with me last night and said that my micro course satisfied their requirements! I'm so glad I'll be able to apply there!

But anyways, :xf: for everyone and their interviews!

Good luck, interviewees! I'll be doing tours and panels this weekend, so maybe I'll see some of you. :)

to those who interviewed this past week- I bet it went great for you all! What did you think of the school?? I am interviewing on the 4th and only will be there a short while :(

to those who interviewed this past week- I bet it went great for you all! What did you think of the school?? I am interviewing on the 4th and only will be there a short while :(

I was there this past weekend and before I went it wasn't really that high on my list, but I really fell in love with it once I was there. Everyone was extremely friendly and answered all of the questions i had. The hospital is also very nice and I would definitely recommend going to the equine center even if you are not interested in equine medicine, I did and it really is an amazing facility. And don't stress about the interview too much, mine went really well and the interviewers are very nice and it's very conservational. But good luck this weekend! hope you have as good of an experience as i did!

I was there this past weekend and before I went it wasn't really that high on my list, but I really fell in love with it once I was there. Everyone was extremely friendly and answered all of the questions i had. The hospital is also very nice and I would definitely recommend going to the equine center even if you are not interested in equine medicine, I did and it really is an amazing facility. And don't stress about the interview too much, mine went really well and the interviewers are very nice and it's very conservational. But good luck this weekend! hope you have as good of an experience as i did!

I have to agree with this entire post from top to bottom. It was a beautiful city, great hospital, and even better students. I was completely impressed. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

I was there this past weekend and before I went it wasn't really that high on my list, but I really fell in love with it once I was there.

I have to agree with this entire post from top to bottom. It was a beautiful city, great hospital, and even better students.

I'm glad you guys had a good experience!! I came to UMN 'by default' because moving would have been too disruptive to my life. But I am absolutely thrilled with the school, the staff, and the faculty, so it's easy for me to give genuinely positive tours and answers to questions.

Good luck to both of you in the application process!

Good luck to everyone interviewing next week! My interview was this weekend and I absolutely loved it! I was very impressed with the city, the college facilities and the friendliness of the staff!!

To everyone interviewing this weekend:

I'm flying in Thursday morning, flying out Sunday early afternoon. I've rented a car so I can explore the city and surrounding area a bit. Anyone interested in joining me?

G'luck to the out-of-staters interviewing tomorrow and Saturday!! I'll be at the equine center meet 'n greet tomorrow night as well as doing tours Saturday, so say hi!

I'll be there too on Saturday!

I'm the tall woman, he's the bald man. :p

G'luck to the out-of-staters interviewing tomorrow and Saturday!! I'll be at the equine center meet 'n greet tomorrow night as well as doing tours Saturday, so say hi!

Hope to see you tonight at the equine center!