Minnesota C/O 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To everyone interviewing this weekend:

I'm flying in Thursday morning, flying out Sunday early afternoon. I've rented a car so I can explore the city and surrounding area a bit. Anyone interested in joining me?

I would *love* to but just got here today, only on about 4 hours sleep right now, are you going to the equine center tonight?

I'm heading straight back to my hotel Saturday after the interview, since I need to get up at 5 am Sunday to fly back to Chicago and then drive to Champaign for a Monday interview at Illinois. Two interviews in 4 days...it's going to be a long few days! Have fun, don't get too much frostbite :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

Has anyone heard when the U of M will send out acceptance or rejection letters? I thought they said the middle of Feb to the end of Feb at the interview. Thanks for your help and enjoy the weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Has anyone heard when the U of M will send out acceptance or rejection letters? I thought they said the middle of Feb to the end of Feb at the interview. Thanks for your help and enjoy the weekend!

They said by late next week or early the next week.

I am SO NERVOUS to find out this week! :scared::shrug::scared::shrug::scared:

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the email!

me too!!!! SO EXCITED! I was getting a little tired of refreshing my email every 5 minutes....

Yay!!! I got the email too!! Congrats everyone!!

This is my first post (been a lurker for a long time)- I got in too! Does anyone know if there are welcome sessions or anything this Spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
so who is going? I'm 90% sure I'll accept!

Last edited:
so who is going? I'm 90% sure I'll accept!

This is in my top two. I got an interview to Davis (my IS) so I'm waiting for that to be done before I even try to decide. Where's that other 10% pulling you towards? :p

I'm waiting to hear from NCSU (my IS)! But Minnesota has been my #2 so I'm extremely excited :)

Last edited:
I'm waiting to here from NCSU (my IS)! But Minnesota has been my #2 so I'm extremely excited :)

Gosh, I hope I can be saying the same thing next year. NCSU is my IS, but Minnesota is by far my #2. CONGRATS!!!!!

This is my first post (been a lurker for a long time)- I got in too! Does anyone know if there are welcome sessions or anything this Spring?

First off - congrats on the acceptances, folks!

In regard to vetstudies' qestion - there are no welcome sessions in spring. You will probably hear from the school in late May (that's pure speculation on my part as someone who has gone through it; they certainly change things from year to year) with the official registration and enrollment info. Along with that they start orienting you by having you fill out various forms, read various policies, etc.

You won't do any 'in person' orientation until a few days before you start classes, and you'll get information about that later in summer. You'll have PLENTY of time to get ready, and your first week or two are all designed to ease you into vet school.

Two pieces of advice:

1) Enjoy your summer. No, really.

2) Start a class Facebook page. It's a great way to start getting to know your classmates before school starts. And it's a great place to get questions answered: When we started ours a number of second and third years jumped in to help us. My class actively uses our page for work and fun.

Congrats again, UMN CVM 2016ers! Way to go!

Hey all!

I've also been a lurker for over a year now. I'm a second time applicant (first time for MN) and super thrilled (and quite shocked) to have been offered a seat this year :soexcited: Still waiting to hear from my IS (Wisconsin) but excited nonetheless. If WI doesn't work out, I'll see ya all in the fall!!!

In regard to vetstudies' qestion - there are no welcome sessions in spring. You will probably hear from the school in late May (that's pure speculation on my part as someone who has gone through it; they certainly change things from year to year) with the official registration and enrollment info. Along with that they start orienting you by having you fill out various forms, read various policies, etc.

You won't do any 'in person' orientation until a few days before you start classes, and you'll get information about that later in summer. You'll have PLENTY of time to get ready, and your first week or two are all designed to ease you into vet school.

Two pieces of advice:

2) Start a class Facebook page. It's a great way to start getting to know your classmates before school starts. And it's a great place to get questions answered: When we started ours a number of second and third years jumped in to help us. My class actively uses our page for work and fun.

Thanks LetItSnow for the helpful info! I am definitely going to attend MN, I absolutely loved it and its my IS so saves a ton of cash. If anyone is good with Facebook we should get a group started like LetItSnow mentioned :) any takers?

Congrats everyone!

Two pieces of advice:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I have to echo everything LIS said. I started my class's Facebook page and LIS is in charge of his class's and they have been an AWESOME way to get to know your classmates before school starts. Our class held at least a half dozen gatherings before orientation, and it was a really nice way for the out-of-staters especially to meet people. It also makes orientation much less intimidating when you know people already!

Also, seriously do take time to relax this summer before school starts. Vet school is a rollercoaster and it's MUCH easier to enjoy the ride if you come in well-rested and settled in! If you are moving, don't delay that until too late either! Give yourself time to get settled before school, because you won't have time afterward!

Hope to meet you all in a few months!

Last edited:
I got accepted on the 15th but I wasn't expecting an e-mail until the 16th-22nd which was indicated at the interview. It was a pleasant surprise. Minnesota impressed me so much that it became my number 1 choice over my in state (Wisconsin). I just received a rejection letter from Wisconsin today so now I get to go with my first choice without having to decide between 2 schools. Still waiting for my rejection letter from Mich State (they only take 36 OOS, and at least 7 OOS applicants posted their acceptance on this website already).

Someone needs to get the Minnesota C/O 2016 Facebook group page going!

I have to echo everything LIS said. I started my class's Facebook page and LIS is in charge of his class's and they have been an AWESOME way to get to know your classmates before school starts.

Did you notify the school in any way about the facebook group before or after starting it? I had one set up but then decided to take the safe road and delete it after finding this in the policy stuff:

"Before launching a social networking site:
Notify your college/department/unit communications staff."

Now it may or may not be considered a "social networking site" but if I'm am going set it up I want to make sure it is done in accordance with the U of M's policies.

Did you notify the school in any way about the facebook group before or after starting it? I had one set up but then decided to take the safe road and delete it after finding this in the policy stuff:

"Before launching a social networking site:
Notify your college/department/unit communications staff."

Now it may or may not be considered a "social networking site" but if I'm am going set it up I want to make sure it is done in accordance with the U of M's policies.

I can't speak for LIS, but I never notified the school before creating either our class page nor any of the other pages we have for various clubs. They are almost certainly aware of them, but it is not at all an issue.

We do have a social networking policy, but it is more a don't-post-libelous-things-or-confidential-information policy rather than anything discouraging their use.

So someone go for it!!! And post the link here so we can join too and help you advertise it. :)

I can't speak for LIS, but I never notified the school before creating either our class page nor any of the other pages we have for various clubs.

Since when are you afraid to speak for me, Parietal? :) (I didn't notify the school before creating our page either.)

Bootown, I'm confident that there's no issue here. I would, however, suggest that you set the group to 'Closed'. For starters, it gives you guys a private place to chat and, second, it helps minimize the impact if someone posts something they shouldn't. It's certainly not 'absolute' protection, but it's a start.

My class routinely takes photos in various labs (histo, neuro, etc.) and posts the collections in our FB group for classmates to use as study material. We also took photos for anatomy, but because that's more sensitive material we utilized a school-operated website with the explicit permission (and aid) of the instructors.

Last thought: Make sure you create a Group and not a Page.

Looking forward to meeting the incoming class!

I think it works, thanks bootown! And Parietal and LIS for all the help- you guys are great!

Thanks, bootown!

Expect an influx of current students. I just requested membership myself and advertised it on our Facebook group. :)

Hey everyone,

So I'm accepted at MN as OOS, but found out yesterday I'm waitlisted at WI as IS. I LOVED MN when I came for my interview, there wasn't one thing I didn't like....except the tuition. I was wondering if there are any current vet students at MN that are OOS that have any advice for how they plan to deal with the student debt? Like how easy is it to get low interest loans at MN? Can you even get loans to cover it all? I've heard applying for residency is hard but not impossible, has anyone on here been successful? I really hate the idea of turning down my spot just to apply another year at my IS in hopes of saving a fortune on tuition (assuming I don't get pulled off the waitlist obviously)...in fact I don't even know if I could live with myself if I did that (I did apply to MN for a reason in the first place), it's just that WI as IS is sooooo much cheaper, and I was so (well kinda) close this year.

Hi Peanut60! This is my first time posting (long-time lurker). Congrats on getting accepted!

I also got accepted to MN OOS and am worried about the tuition as well (I'm from VA). I am still waiting to interview with my IS (March 3rd!), so it will still be awhile until I hear.

I was curious- doesn't Wisconsin have a reciprocity agreement with MN? I thought I had heard that and if so maybe you would be eligible to get IS tuition?

I too am curious about the residency bit. Ive seriously considered moving there this summer to start my claim so to speak but I'm worried how possible gaining residency really would be. Insight from current students would be much appreciated!!

Hi Peanut60! This is my first time posting (long-time lurker). Congrats on getting accepted!

I also got accepted to MN OOS and am worried about the tuition as well (I'm from VA). I am still waiting to interview with my IS (March 3rd!), so it will still be awhile until I hear.

I was curious- doesn't Wisconsin have a reciprocity agreement with MN? I thought I had heard that and if so maybe you would be eligible to get IS tuition?

Thanks and congrats to you as well! Good luck with your interview!

MN and WI have reciprocity for undergrad, but not vet school unfortunately. :( From my knowledge reciprocity for vet schools usually only happens when one state doesn't have one (i.e. I think SD residents can get in-state tuition at MN this way)

I was wondering if there are any current vet students at MN that are OOS that have any advice for how they plan to deal with the student debt? Like how easy is it to get low interest loans at MN? Can you even get loans to cover it all? I've heard applying for residency is hard but not impossible, has anyone on here been successful? I really hate the idea of turning down my spot just to apply another year at my IS in hopes of saving a fortune on tuition (assuming I don't get pulled off the waitlist obviously)...

I'm IS at UMN, but from the perspective of 'getting loans' it doesn't matter; you'll be offered a loan package that covers cost of attendance plus cost of living. That's true regardless of your status. If you wanted to find cheaper private loans that would be on your shoulders to take care of.

Residency: You should contact UMN (call the number that was probably in your offer email?) and ask to talk about residency. They will put you in touch with the person whose sole responsibility is dealing with it. None of us as students can really give you actionable advice. About all I can tell you is that I know some people who have gained residency, and some who haven't.

UW is, by every report I've heard, an excellent school as well. I wouldn't hesitate to go there if I had IS tuition in hand. I absolutely *love* UMN, but given the economic environment, I don't think you can give too much weight to the cost (and personally, I think schools need to start seeing people begging off of vet school because of cost... that's the only real effective pressure on them to keep tuition stable or get it back down).

Last edited:
I agree with LIS that considering the financial aspect is very important. I'm IS as well, but several OOS people in my class did qualify for in-state residency at the end of first year, but IS tuition here isn't cheap either (~30k). And while gaining residency is not impossible, it isn't easy either.

That said, I know three people who were accepted into my Minnesota class (2014) that chose other schools for very reasonably financial reasons. Two of the three were miserable. One is no longer in vet school and one took a year off before continuing. Both wished they could transfer to Minnesota but neither did so successfully. (The third one is doing fine.)

So while finances are very important, consider your happiness as well. Wherever you go, vet school is hard. But some schools are a better fit for some individuals than others, and that can make a huge difference when things are stressful. In many cases, you may be fine wherever you go. There are a lot of great vet schools out there. But if you are hesitant, don't ignore it when making your decisions. Happiness is worth a hell of a lot.

Also, feel free to ask on the Facebook group about in-state residency. Some of the current students on there already have done it successfully.

One thing we also found really useful was to introduce ourselves on the Facebook groups and say a little about ourselves. While our new class group is closed, our initial page (before Facebook started the new group format) is still out there and open if you want to get an idea: http://www.facebook.com/groups/347509208714/

Last edited:
Parietal: Would you feel comfortable disclosing where these other two miserable students chose to go to school as opposed to Minnesota? If not I completely understand.

Parietal: Would you feel comfortable disclosing where these other two miserable students chose to go to school as opposed to Minnesota? If not I completely understand.

I'd rather not. My suspicion is that it is an individual-fit thing. I know other people at the same schools who have been fine.

But if you for some reason suspect that a school isn't a great match for you, don't ignore that feeling.

Thanks guys,

Parietal-I completely agree. I only applied to schools that I knew something about (had actually been on campus to both before applying), and it's definitely a tough call. I could see myself at either but I think there are actually more things I like about MN than WI. It's just that tuition at WI is a really big single thing that's pulling me there. But either way, I don't have a choice unless the waitlist moves, so for now I'm just gonna be proud to say I'm an accepted gopher :D

Oh and I did join the facebook group! Looking forward to meeting everyone, and potentially being your classmate in the fall!

Last edited:
waitlisted at MN... does anyone know how far they usually go into their waitlist? (I'm #22) I guess my real question is how unreasonable is it to let my hopes get up??

waitlisted at MN... does anyone know how far they usually go into their waitlist? (I'm #22) I guess my real question is how unreasonable is it to let my hopes get up??

I think it's very hard for anyone to give you a useful answer. They have in past years gone quite deep into the wait-list as people (especially out of state) accept at other places (like their IS), etc. But as to how far ... no way to answer. And it's entirely possible that they change their process every year in a way that might alter how far into the list they go (for example, say that one year they send out 55 offers for 45 seats, and the next year they send out 65 offers for 45 seats).

(Note: I have no idea if they actually 'oversell' seats like that. It's just a hypothetical.)

if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out your wait list number?

if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out your wait list number?
It was listed at the top of the email that I received that told me I had been waitlisted, I'm #14. Does anyone know if the waitlist number is of the total applicants waitlisted or has it already been split into IS/OOS?

It was listed at the top of the email that I received that told me I had been waitlisted, I'm #14. Does anyone know if the waitlist number is of the total applicants waitlisted or has it already been split into IS/OOS?
I somehow totally skipped over the top of the email when I was reading it. This is directly from them " Are there separate wait lists for resident and non-resident applicants? .o .Yes. Approximately 55 seats are held for resident applicants and 45 for non-resident applicants. If a resident declines their offer of admission, withdraws after accepting, or defers, their seat will be given to the next resident on the wait list. The same is true for non-residents."
I am assuming then that there are separate wait lists. Does anyone know how far they went into the wait list last year?

[Edit: Oops. I see dvmlax15 answered your question.]

Dvmlax15, I think it varies quite a bit from year to year how far into the wait list they go.

Last edited:

In-state or out-of-state? If OOS, your chances are pretty good based on the past couple years. As LIS said though, no guarantees.

In-state or out-of-state? If OOS, your chances are pretty good based on the past couple years. As LIS said though, no guarantees.
OOS..Everyone has said the chances are really good, so fingers crossed!!

Wow, this thread has been quiet!

phone calls anyone?? can't stop staring at my phone.

I'm waitlisted too and I haven't heard anything yet either. So we continue to twiddle our thumbs and wait some more. :whistle:

I thought last year waitlist folks got email, not phone calls. Or rather, I know that to be true for at least one person. I sorta assumed (important: assumed) that they did it the same way for everyone, but.....