Minnesota c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, any tips on how to dress for the interview in Minnesota weather? This would be my first time visiting, and I really have no idea. What kinda shoes? How hefty should my coat be? I checked the weather report, and it said around 25-30 degrees avg.?

Also, I'm staying in downtown. Should I rent a car for transportation or should I save my money and try the public transit? Any tips would be appreciated!
So 25-30 is actually pretty nice, the interviewees in 2013 were dealing with -20 degree weather :p To me, that means a sweatshirt would be enough (I'm actually happily surprised I remembered to grab my coat today). It all depends on what kind of weather you're used to and how cold 25-30 degrees feels to you.

That being said, right now the sky is dumping buckets of snow on us. I anticipate the roads being mostly cleared by Friday but the weather forecast has snowflake icons on every day this week. Shoes I would suggest waterproof boots. You could also wear the boots outdoors and change to heels or whatnot once you get inside. The paths should be mostly cleared but sometimes you can't avoid stepping on some ice or in some snow.

Does the school provide any assistance with transportation? Usually the buses are decently reliable though the timetables can get off. If you go that route I would definitely plan enough extra time for delays.

Members don't see this ad.

So 25-30 is actually pretty nice, the interviewees in 2013 were dealing with -20 degree weather :p To me, that means a sweatshirt would be enough (I'm actually happily surprised I remembered to grab my coat today). It all depends on what kind of weather you're used to and how cold 25-30 degrees feels to you.

That being said, right now the sky is dumping buckets of snow on us. I anticipate the roads being mostly cleared by Friday but the weather forecast has snowflake icons on every day this week. Shoes I would suggest waterproof boots. You could also wear the boots outdoors and change to heels or whatnot once you get inside. The paths should be mostly cleared but sometimes you can't avoid stepping on some ice or in some snow.

Does the school provide any assistance with transportation? Usually the buses are decently reliable though the timetables can get off. If you go that route I would definitely plan enough extra time for delays.

Buckets? Isn't it supposed to be, like 3-6", and done by tomorrow? So it will really be 2" with some blowing overnight. Meh.

*grumble*

Personally if it were my interview, I'd rent a car and use GPS just because I'd feel more in control. And I wouldn't be tromping through slushy icky snow 'n stuff in my interview clothes. That said, if you are staying in Minneapolis all you have to do is get yourself via public transit to UMN East Bank (main UMN campus) ... and there are plenty of buses that will do that. And then you can take one of the (free) shuttles running between UMN east bank and UMN St. Paul campus (where vet school is). It wouldn't be hard to do - just have to figure out how to get a bus from where you are staying to UMN East Bank. But I'd rent a car.

The school used to put together a list of students who were willing to give rides to people. I think they had a maximum distance away. I don't remember if they did it all interview days or just some or .... what the deal was. And I don't know if they are still doing it.

Bring waterproof boots - you can carry your 'nice' shoes and change into them at school. Wear a thick coat. Wear gloves. Wear a hat. In other words, be a common sense person for bad weather. You can dump all that crap at school somewhere so you don't have to carry it all around.

(Says the guy who went to the gym last night and left home wearing just shorts and a t-shirt.)

Buckets? Isn't it supposed to be, like 3-6", and done by tomorrow? So it will really be 2" with some blowing overnight. Meh.

*grumble*

Personally if it were my interview, I'd rent a car and use GPS just because I'd feel more in control. And I wouldn't be tromping through slushy icky snow 'n stuff in my interview clothes. That said, if you are staying in Minneapolis all you have to do is get yourself via public transit to UMN East Bank (main UMN campus) ... and there are plenty of buses that will do that. And then you can take one of the (free) shuttles running between UMN east bank and UMN St. Paul campus (where vet school is). It wouldn't be hard to do - just have to figure out how to get a bus from where you are staying to UMN East Bank. But I'd rent a car.

The school used to put together a list of students who were willing to give rides to people. I think they had a maximum distance away. I don't remember if they did it all interview days or just some or .... what the deal was. And I don't know if they are still doing it.

Bring waterproof boots - you can carry your 'nice' shoes and change into them at school. Wear a thick coat. Wear gloves. Wear a hat. In other words, be a common sense person for bad weather. You can dump all that crap at school somewhere so you don't have to carry it all around.

(Says the guy who went to the gym last night and left home wearing just shorts and a t-shirt.)
BUCKETS I SAY! I just saw a map that was predicting 4-8" for the TC area, and it looks nasty outside. I bet I could fill a couple buckets with snow, so I stand by my statement :p Other note is that I'm not sure how car rentals work but I thought some places wouldn't rent to people under 25yo (I know you haven't had to consider that for awhile now LIS), so if you are under 25 and planning to rent a car I'd look into it before you get here. You can also PM me if you have any last minute questions for anything. I will be sitting in lectures from 8-noon Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so I'll probably be around and answering SDN questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

*grumble*

Yes, there are student ambassadors that can give lifts to and from the school. You just have to email Ariel Carson ([email protected]) to arrange it in advance. I got a lift from a student ambassador and she basically gave me a mini tour as we drove through town! I definitely recommend it :)

Hi guys, any tips on how to dress for the interview in Minnesota weather? This would be my first time visiting, and I really have no idea. What kinda shoes? How hefty should my coat be? I checked the weather report, and it said around 25-30 degrees avg.?

Also, I'm staying in downtown. Should I rent a car for transportation or should I save my money and try the public transit? Any tips would be appreciated!

I would not recommend a rental car if you'll be driving during rush hour unless you're a seasoned downtown traffic driver. Minneapolis and Saint Paul have excellent public transportation, including cabs. The current snow "storm" (they're getting around 10 inches or so) will be cleared from the roads before Friday but parking on the streets will be awful based on my experiences visiting downtown Minneapolis during winter. It's really going to boil down to what you're comfortable with, and your parking options. A cab to/from the school over two days could cost you more than a rental car, if you can't take a test bus ride on Thursday you'll risk being late to your interview. There's freedom with renting a car but there's also restrictions and headaches. You'll need to decide which perk for car Vs public transport matters more to you.

Are Uber and/or Lyft pretty readily available options there??

Are Uber and/or Lyft pretty readily available options there??

I used Uber the entire time I was there. I had availability from early morning (6 AM) until later evening (10-11 PM). I usually paid around $12 per 10 minute trip.

I should have disclosed earlier I got around the under 25 charge because my mom's company ordered the car for me.

Anyone know how many OOS applicants are typically interviewed? I see they have about 47 OOS seats, but I'm just curious as to how big this ratio is haha.

Anyone know how many OOS applicants are typically interviewed? I see they have about 47 OOS seats, but I'm just curious as to how big this ratio is haha.

Back when I went through then process (eek..... Feb 2011), I am pretty sure they interviewed about 2x the number of IS seats and 4x the number of OOS seats.

But you need to take that with a great big grain of salt. I might be flat out wrong, and things might have changed even if those numbers are close to accurate for 2011.

Hey friends, just wanted to say hi and wish everyone good luck. I've been lurking a little bit around here since I was introduced to the SDN in the fall, it would have been nice to know about this resource during the application process! I'm interviewing next Thursday and simultaneously excited and nauseatingly nervous. I'm a prior CFANS graduate, so I am looking forward to getting back to Saint Paul for the day.

Going to be walking on pins and needles in the weeks following the interview. I will have my phone glued to my hand, waiting for that unknown 612/651 number to ring my phone. Eeesh.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey friends, just wanted to say hi and wish everyone good luck. I've been lurking a little bit around here since I was introduced to the SDN in the fall, it would have been nice to know about this resource during the application process! I'm interviewing next Thursday and simultaneously excited and nauseatingly nervous. I'm a prior CFANS graduate, so I am looking forward to getting back to Saint Paul for the day.

Going to be walking on pins and needles in the weeks following the interview. I will have my phone glued to my hand, waiting for that unknown 612/651 number to ring my phone. Eeesh.

They will update acceptances over the phone? I was hoping e-mail and/or letter in the mail. I got a letter from K-State, and read over on UPenn board that their acceptances are over the phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
They said at the Interviews last weekend that they'll call us on the 16th

They will update acceptances over the phone? I was hoping e-mail and/or letter in the mail. I got a letter from K-State, and read over on UPenn board that their acceptances are over the phone.
My year they told us that we'd be informed over email, but they actually ended up calling me and a bunch of other in staters (idk about the OOS crowd). We also got an email later that afternoon, but the call was a nice surprise (once I checked the voicemail anyway, since I didn't answer the unknown number :p). Actually don't regret not answering - I saved that voicemail for well over a year and only accidentally deleted it (would relisten to it every once in awhile).

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if out of state students can become residents and get in state tuition after the first year?

Does anyone know if out of state students can become residents and get in state tuition after the first year?
From what I've heard there's mixed answers. Online most comments indicate that it's nearly impossible to get resident status after a year. At the info sessions this weekend we were told that there's a new person in charge of determining eligibility and she's a bit more lenient in offering residency changes after the first year assuming you stay for the summer.

The take home message I took from the multiple people I heard answer the question would be that it is possible to change over after a full year of living in Minnesota but it's not a guarentee.

The take home message I took from the multiple people I heard answer the question would be that it is possible to change over after a full year of living in Minnesota but it's not a guarentee.

That is fairly accurate. The basic issue is that it's a fairly subjective call, so nobody can tell you "Do X, Y, and Z and you will get resident status."

Staying during summers. Having a real job. Transferring car license. Owning a home. Etc.... all those things can help, but as best I know nothing 'guarantees' it.

It would be nice if there were very specific, objective guidelines .... but I don't know of them if they exist.

I prefer the more personal method of phone calls

Not that you were aware, but I'm Deaf, so I do not prefer phone calls. From my point of view, a letter is more professional and appropriate.
I'll make do however they update me, but had hoped it wouldn't be phone calls.

Not that you were aware, but I'm Deaf, so I do not prefer phone calls. From my point of view, a letter is more professional and appropriate.
I'll make do however they update me, but had hoped it wouldn't be phone calls.
All schools also send letters. Some just call before your letter arrives. I'm sure you could request an email if it was easier for you, everyone seemed very nice there. They may be willing to accommodate if you ask.

All schools also send letters. Some just call before your letter arrives. I'm sure you could request an email if it was easier for you, everyone seemed very nice there. They may be willing to accommodate if you ask.
I assume they will also email you. They haven't done snail mail paper letters in ages from what I recall.

Any last minute interview advice?! Flying in on Thursday for a Friday interview! So excited! But also a little nervous since none of my other interviews have been behavioral, so preparation has been a little different...

Any last minute interview advice?! Flying in on Thursday for a Friday interview! So excited! But also a little nervous since none of my other interviews have been behavioral, so preparation has been a little different...

Not flying in, but I interview on Thursday as well. Trust in your preparation, and you'll do great. Do you fly out Thursday as well or will you have time to explore The Cities? What time is your interview?

Not flying in, but I interview on Thursday as well. Trust in your preparation, and you'll do great. Do you fly out Thursday as well or will you have time to explore The Cities? What time is your interview?

My interview is actually on Friday! So yes I will have some time to explore... I will be attending the events on Saturday too, so I have quite a bit of free time!

My interview is actually on Friday! So yes I will have some time to explore... I will be attending the events on Saturday too, so I have quite a bit of free time!
I also fly in Thursday, interview Friday, and am doing the activities on Saturday. What do you plan on wearing to the activities Saturday?

I also fly in Thursday, interview Friday, and am doing the activities on Saturday. What do you plan on wearing to the activities Saturday?

Just dress comfortably for the non-interview day stuff. Business casual or slightly less 'dressy' is appropriate.

Hey current Minnesota vet students! I saw a few old articles mentioning how UMN takes care of the animals staying at the Como Zoo, but can't find any mention of it on their website. Do you know if that partnership is still in place?
And do you know of/have any experience with UMN's animal behavior department in their hospital?

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no behavior service at UMN VMC anymore. They lost that person a year or so ago, and I haven't heard that they replaced her.

I believe Dr. Micky Trent (a LA surgeon) still does quite a bit of work with Como Zoo, and the zoo elective(s) are still in place..... @kcoughli ?

Hey current Minnesota vet students! I saw a few old articles mentioning how UMN takes care of the animals staying at the Como Zoo, but can't find any mention of it on their website. Do you know if that partnership is still in place?
And do you know of/have any experience with UMN's animal behavior department in their hospital?

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no behavior service at UMN VMC anymore. They lost that person a year or so ago, and I haven't heard that they replaced her.

I believe Dr. Micky Trent (a LA surgeon) still does quite a bit of work with Como Zoo, and the zoo elective(s) are still in place..... @kcoughli ?

We did lose the behaviorist, had to fly someone in to give us behavior lectures last semester. Not sure what the school's plans are in that department

Dr. Trent is still the main vet used by the Como Zoo and is also faculty here at the U. I'm not sure if they ever really broadcast or promote that connection at all but yes there are zoo electives that mainly focus on the animals at Como. That being said, they are not the most hands on electives though she does let you (if you're in the class) come and shadow her when she does her rounds there. During that class I got to watch a sloth come in for a dental and a lion come in for a CT, so I guess on paper it's pretty awesome, but all of that was just due to me following her around during the summer months.

Okay, thanks so much both of you for your help! Just tryina make sure I don't sound too much like a fool during my interview :)

They are willing. Unlike most applicants, I can't apply all willy nilly to any school that I may be interested in. I have to combine my interest with a solid history of accommodating disabled students. I visited the school last summer and it impressed me enough to apply :)

Just interviewed and now have some time to kill today and tomorrow after all of the events! Any suggestions on things to do, places to eat? Where is the fun main college strip of little restaurants/bars?

Just interviewed as well! Everyone I've talked to recommended seeing the skyway.
Also, does anyone know when we will find out decisions?

Just interviewed and now have some time to kill today and tomorrow after all of the events! Any suggestions on things to do, places to eat? Where is the fun main college strip of little restaurants/bars?
Hah that would be on the Minneapolis campus. There's really not much around the St Paul campus (which is where the vet school is). Things to do that are close by though include visiting the Como Zoo (free, and like 5 minutes from the vet school) and the Raptor Center (also free, and across the street from the vet school). If you're from out of state you could also visit the Mall of America if that tickles your fancy - there's an aquarium there and an indoor amusement park.

Just interviewed as well! Everyone I've talked to recommended seeing the skyway.
Also, does anyone know when we will find out decisions?

Check the threads from past years. It's always about the same. It is quite quick after the last round of interviews. Like the next week after the last round.

I enjoyed the sculpture garden in downtown Minneapolis. Their art includes a giant spoon. But that part interested me in particular because I now take photos of miniature-myself when I travel new places. I plan to visit the Minnehaha Falls this weekend.
Uh, sorry, no suggestions for warm indoor activities. I hated MOA, but everyone is different!

I enjoyed the sculpture garden in downtown Minneapolis. Their art includes a giant spoon. But that part interested me in particular because I now take photos of miniature-myself when I travel new places. I plan to visit the Minnehaha Falls this weekend.
Uh, sorry, no suggestions for warm indoor activities. I hated MOA, but everyone is different!
It's the Betty Crocker spoon and cherry :) And Minnesotans know how to do the warm indoor winter activities, because it's stupid cold out :p Who else puts roller coasters and football stadiums indoors?

Hi Friends, is today the day? Best of luck to everyone, I'm just going to glue the phone to my hand and not be able to focus on anything else this week...

Hi Friends, is today the day? Best of luck to everyone, I'm just going to glue the phone to my hand and not be able to focus on anything else this week...
Hopefully! Fingers crossed.... And incessantly checking my phone ;)

Gobek, were you in Illinois by chance yesterday? Got home late last night, woke up pretty early (by my standards) anticipating what today could bring

I've been up since 5:30am. With the darn time difference I gotta keep reminding myself it's an hour earlier there and it'll likely be a while if I get a call

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Gobek, were you in Illinois by chance yesterday? Got home late last night, woke up pretty early (by my standards) anticipating what today could bring
I was! Had a 3:15 interview there yesterday. I'm guessing I saw you at some point then? Lol

Hey guys! I hope I don't freak anyone out even more, but I figured other people might be curious, so just to let you know I looked back at last year and it looks like they started calling people at 1:30pm. I saw that some people said that the U said it would for sure be today? Is that confirmed? Well we will know soon anyways! Good luck everybody!

Hey guys! I hope I don't freak anyone out even more, but I figured other people might be curious, so just to let you know I looked back at last year and it looks like they started calling people at 1:30pm. I saw that some people said that the U said it would for sure be today? Is that confirmed? Well we will know soon anyways! Good luck everybody!

They should start calling at 8 AM :)

No more waiting!

I'M IN! I'M GOING TO VET SCHOOL!!! Just got the call!

Reactions: 4 users