Minority but not URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[period]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Haven't applied yet, but from what I know, my ethnic group is classified as an ORM in medicine. Not sure if putting down my race will help or hurt my weaker application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
don't bother hiding your race bc like you said, pretty obvious from names

Reactions: 4 users
My parents are middle eastern. My skin color is white. Technically speaking I'm "asian" but I'm white. What do I do?

Reactions: 1 user
wait what? race is not only dependent on skin color
I know I'm asking what box would I check if I was doing my application. I look white, my parents look white. I was born here in the U.S. I always check the white box for whenever im filling out papers. What would I put down for race and ethnicity?

I know I'm asking what box would I check if I was doing my application. I look white, my parents look white. I was born here in the U.S. I always check the white box for whenever im filling out papers. What would I put down for race and ethnicity?
ah sorry, now it makes sense!

But won't ad coms figure out my ethnicity by my name, religion, languages section, and where my parents went to school (outside America)?

They might figure out when they look at it but the computer won't auto sort you into the "ORM" category if you decline to state your race

If you classify yourself as an ORM on your app, you will weaken it.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html
Actually, this is not true. Someone else pointed out that the main reason for this is because there is such a high volume of ORMs in California, and that applicant pool is more competitive. Generally speaking, a ORM and a white person from the same state, given both are not interested in rural medicine (another thing that ORMs generally do not have as much of an interest in), have roughly the same chances of admission.