Minority Report...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

I was just wondering where Dentals schools stand on minority students. And what ethnic groups fall-under minority status.

If you happen to be in dental school now, how many are in your class (as in the # of asians/blacks etc)? and what was their academic profile to get into the program?... I know about Meherry and Howard, just wondering how the rest recruit minorities.

Regards

Mo007

Members don't see this ad.

NYU (rough estimate)

45% Asian
30% Indian/Persian
20% White
5% "Other"

I'm lovin the diversity

Out of 105

7 Asians (Chinese, Vietnamese, Asian Indian)
20 Hispanics (Colombia, Cuba, Argentina)
3 African American

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure some schools reserve seats for minority, and accept GPA's much lower than the average (if necessary). This is just a statistical diversity for the school, that many people are not aware of.

Would you agree?

Originally posted by Mo007
I am sure some schools reserve seats for minority, and accept GPA's much lower than the average (if necessary). This is just a statistical diversity for the school, that many people are not aware of.

Would you agree?

Actually, many of us are aware of it. It's called reverse discrimination when it is placed in the above light.

Diversity is something that should be sought, but not at the expense of the well-being of other students or other applicants.

There is NO reason in HELL that I, with a 3.47 GPA and 20/23 DAT should be overlooked because the committee feels pressure to admit a 2.85 student with a 17/17 simply because they are a minority (all other application factors being equal).

Out of our 54 students:

5 Native American
1 African American
2 Latinos
2 Czechs
1 Asian

It's been so excellent getting to know the members of my class and their different backgrounds!

Here at USC there seems to be a large population of Asian and Persian students.

It's important to understand that there are other reasons for admitting minorities than simply satisfying a racial quota. Students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds will more than likely start practice in their communities offering services where most dentists would be hesitant to. It's important for universities to graduate a diverse group of dentists to meet the variety of needs in society today.

SIU/ SDM class of 2007
51 students
3 blacks
2 asians
1 hispanic
2 indian/ persian
26 females
25 males

These ARBITRARY classifications are killing me. What exactly is an "Asian", a "White", or an "African American"?
A person born in Turkey or Russia could have been born in Europe or Asia, though "officially" the countries are both in Asia. However, I doubt anyone here would consider either one of those two people "Asians".
WE tend to use physical characteristics to classify people, and that is a mistake since a person's appearance has NOTHING to do with who they are or who you think they may be, and in more cases than you might believe can?t be used to determine who their ancestors were (if that even matters).

I know many people who have ancestors from multiple "races", so which one are they? Should we make a new race called "Mutt American"?

A ?black? from Jamaica is not considered an African American, and I see no reasonable choice for them on the AADSAS application.
I know one man born and raised in Africa, who is very "white"; since they live here now, I guess he is an "African American".
How many of you would agree? How many of you would scream "foul play" if he checked the box labeled "African American" on his application?
This entire discussion of race (aka ethnicity) and the asking of "how many of this or that are there at your school" is totally ridiculous.

(I find it funny that no one bothered to answer the question I posted only a day earlier.)

The point of where a person may practice after graduation is a reasonable point. A person is likely to practice within their comfort zone. The root of that, for most people, lies in where the person grew up, not what color their own skin is, not how kinky or wavy their hair is, and not whether there eyes are almond, round, or "slanted".
A ?black? who grew up in a rich town is not likely to practice in downtown Atlanta.
A ?white? who grew up in a mostly ?Hispanic? neighborhood is more likely to be comfortable there.
The type of area (rural, city, burbs) and the composition of the people (wealth, color, customs) around them during the learning years is what people will tend to be comfortable with later, and thus where they may or may not practice.

Of course, I firmly believe that no one should get preferential treatment over more qualified candidates based on their ancestry. And I certainly don?t understand the questions on how many people exist of a certain ?minority status? since that requires conjecture.

jflynn,

The only problem with your statements is that they are based on common sense which unfortunately is in short supply in our current politically correct climate.

Originally posted by jjflynn2

This entire discussion of race (aka ethnicity) and the asking of "how many of this or that are there at your school" is totally ridiculous.

Not it isn't. The fact that someone wants to know the diversity of the school they might be going to isn't ridiculous. Is a totally fair question.

I don't think Mo007 wanted to create a discussion about political correcteness, but just simply to know where he/she might be headed to.

settle down jjflynn.

"what exactly is an 'asian', a 'white', or an 'african american'?"

----why is the sky blue, why did I tip the cab driver $2.00 today?
unless I'm enrolled in a philosophy class, who the hell cares....it's just a simple question. in the meantime, i'll try to find you a tree to hug...

Howard prefers black students, Loma Linda wants Seventh Day Adventists, Lakers take 6 foot and taller....

Private institutions can do what they want. If the statistics say that 95% of the students are black and your white, it doesn?t look good, so don?t apply,

What?s the problem?

Don't forget that being and out-of-state applicant is the biggest strike against you regardless of where your great-great-great-great grand daddies came from.